The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Hey Nell we know now what David does!!

I also like to run early, I sometimes start work at 0600 and in the summer I generally run at 0300 to avoid the heat.
     I'm also a huge swim fan but in my current villa I don't have a pool, to be honest they are a folly being pretty expensive to run but nice to have in the back garden, especially for the kids.

Sleep day for me today after working nights, no running but relaxing in the sun with a few beers and getting flights booked for our summer travels.

3.4 5 miles
    4.4 5.4 miles

YTD 560.59 miles

Rare long weekend off for me, weekend being Friday and Saturday here, so happy weekend everyone!
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    How nice was it today running in short sleeves and with the sun on my face!!

5.34 mile ran today, 183.4 YTD
  • Nothing much for me to report, just a wee 4 and a half miles on Tuesday and a couple of yoga sessions.

Was a stunning day Lilly, well done on your run today...knocking on 200 miles soon.

Too many other great runs being reported here to mention, well done everyone.

Eating loads & getting stuff ready for race on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone doing runs & races this weekend.
  • Good luck for Saturday Hobie!
  • Stayed in bed later than I wanted so shorter run than planned, 38 degrees at 1030! Going to be another hot one, so off to the pool.

5.46 miles

YTD 566.05 miles
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Not much doing here either, just 4 miles yesterday as I taper for Sunday's race. Got 3 more planned for this afternoon then that will be it until Sunday.

256 YTD

• Afternoon,

A quick update as I am away in Cornwall from tomorrow to next Saturday, I shall of course try and get in a couple of coastal path runs (should be lovely this time of year)

Best of luck to those who will be running over the next week;
    Andrew, good luck again for the 10K
    Hobie, enjoy the first Ultra, look forward to reading the report on my return.
    Nell, as I will not be posting until the 16th, Enjoy Boston!
    Harmander, Magna Carta on Saturday, I have just seen the bling for that (Wow)

Hope I haven't missed anyone.

Runs this week.

04.04.18 - 10
    05.04.18 - 1 (just a cool down after a gym session)
    06.04.18 - 6.25 (Interval session 15 x 200m @ 4.40)

YTD = 372.55

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Seems they are all coming thick and fast now! Hopefully some nice PB's coming along as well! Have a great weekend all!!

Just a 3.7 mile run for me today but closing in in 200 now

YTD 187.1
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Just 3 for me this evening. 

Good luck to others racing this weekend!

Have a great break in Cornwall David.

You’ll be in the 200s before you know it Lilly!

259 YTD 
  • Proper update later - bit late I know but just wanted to wish all the very best of luck to Hobie for today's Ultra!

• Hobie - I hope everything went to plan, I was thinking about you as i was out this morning. I was in awe as I finished and I realised you would still be going.

AndrewD - good luck tomorrow mate.

Well done everyone else for your many miles ... too many to mention.

Got two runs to report, a nice gentle run on Friday just to take the bounce out of my legs and then my final 20 miler (as per my plan). A toughie today but it went pretty much exactly to plan - great confidence booster.

06 Apr - 6.25m
    07 Apr - 21.55m

YTD: 506.25 (delighted to get my Proclaimers goal!)
  • Huge thank you everyone for your warm wishes...race report.

Being Scottish & too tight to stay in a hotel close to the start, I decided to get up at 2:45 and drive to the event...not a problem. Got there at for the 6:30 bus to start line.

Race started at 8 in monsoon rain at the end of Penarth Pier...15 miles of road in trail shoes hurt but needed to be done as the rest of the race was on trails made up of coast path and soaking clay mud...a few tumbles down hills was a giggle.

18 and a bit miles of trails and cliff top running, fantastically organised event with plenty of well stocked feed stations (Mr Kipling make exceedingly good Ultra food) fab marshals, nice bling.

33.3 miles done in 6hrs 4mins...does that make me an Ultra runner :-)

494 miles YTD

Great 500 miles Steven & well done to everyone else. 
  • You certainly are in my book ... fantastic running Hobie!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    43:52 for a pb by 1 minute exactly! Very happy!

8 miles today including warm up and down, so 267 YTD
  • Congrats Andrew and Ultrarunner Hobie!!
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Sounds a great run Hobie, and thats deffo an Ultra bu anyones standards.

+1 with Dubai on the PB AndrewD, well done indeed.

For me was another off road half, this time Leith Hill (highest point in SE England) in the mud'n'rain. Am getting used to hosing down my Inov8s after every run these days - is it the same for you Dubai? ;)

In case I don't get round to posting again before your big brace Nell, hope you have a great time and really enjoy the whole experience - looking forward to the Nell race report!

ytd         347.17
  • Not wanting to be left out,

Well done to new Ultra runners Hobie and the PB AndrewD,

Good luck to all doing their bits today.

Below is the race report about the Magna Carta Marathon (I completed yesterday) from the Race Director - it saves me the task.

I hope you all enjoyed the inaugural staging of the Magna Carta events yesterday, and thanks to you all for your support.

The high tide near Old Windsor added another challenge to the staging of the race, but thanks to our marshals the small detour along the pavement didn't present too much of an issue. The trail conditions by and large were very good and there were some 
    very notable times recorded in both the half and full marathons, the podium winners times in the men's marathon were: 

1st 2.58.22 MICHAEL BURKE  (HAYWARDS HEATH HARRIERS) 
    2nd 3.16.54 CHRISTOPHER BALL (ST.ALBANS STRIDERS) 
    3rd 3.18.18 PETE JENKINS (TADLEY RUNNERS) 

In the ladies marathon, podium winners were: 
    1st 3.52.53 JULIE WHITE (LITTLEDOWN HARRIERS) 
    2nd 4.00.07 DOMINIQUE JAMES 
    3rd 4.01.32 DONNA COOMBES

In the men's half marathon, podium winners were:
    1st 1.22.07  TOM RANN (MILOCARIAN AC) 

2nd 1.28.31 JOHN MELBOURNE (TADWORTH AC) 
    3rd 1.31.53 ALAN BARNES 

In the ladies half marathon, podium winners were:
    1st 1.41.16 
    LYNWEN WILSON 
    2nd 1.43.16 ALEXANDRA SHERIDAN 
    3rd 1.45.01 KATHERINE FOLEY (READING ROAD RUNNERS)  
  • SenidM

i rotate between 4 pairs and I hose them down every time and put them in their place, bit ocd like that.
    sometimes it’s because they’re sweaty or like this morning covered in sand after a run through the desert. ? They do dry very quickly!!
    Youngest son flying to Borneo tonight on his school trip, he’s so looking forward to seeing some thunderstorms and rain!!! Bet that novelty doesn’t last long!!

yesterday 6.35 miles, this morning 10.2 miles and then 4.03 miles this evening

YTD 586.63 miles
  • Forgot to add my marathon distance for yesterday:
    YTD = 780.44 miles
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Andrew on your new PB!! And to Hobie for completing such a huge distance!!

Well Harmander on completing yet another marathon! 

Look forward to hear about the other races run this weekend.

Tonight I fit in late from work and went out for a run in the park, I love to run late at night. No one around and running around the lake is lovely, ducks and geese squabling for attention.. light drizzle but I quite like that.

Tonight was 4.2 miles (heavy legs after a long day working but got my run in which is always the goal)

Puts me on 191.25 YTD

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: that's on ultra in my book. Great effort especially the early start. 

Harmander: always admire your mental strength. There's no such thing as an easy marathon. 

Andrew: great pb.  That's shape running. 

Ytd: 316.1 
  • Thank you all for the congrats.

Donnie2, we all are resilient beings - some of us are just that little bit madder.

Check out the little gems of experiences from the pacers at the VLM, the link to all the RW pacers is

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/pacing/pace-team 

Yes I appear to be the oldest in the team
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Evening chaps

Another nice run out tonight in the rain but a nice steady run.

3.68 miles

194.93 YTD (one more should do it!)
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4 recovery miles for me tonight- felt pretty good really. 

271 YTD
  • So much happened since my last log in.

Congrats Harmander on yet ANOTHER Marathon. (I'm starting to feel as if I should just start every post like this  ;) )

Well done AndrewD on the PB and then on the successful recovery run - excellent running sir.

So close to the 200 barrier now lilly you can see it in the distance if you just squint hard enough ... looking forward to your post telling us about breaking through!

Dubai I hope your youngest enjoys his trip.

And Nell in case we don't catch you before hand ... all the best with Boston and I hope you recover well for leg 2 in London.

After much deliberation and obsessing over web-articles, magazines, books and helpful advice on the pro/cons of 2 week tapers against 3 week tapers - I split the difference and went for a 2 and a half week taper with my final '100% run' not being the last LSR but a final half marathon at close to HMP. That's me cooked, I don't think I could add any more to my legs before race day.

I seem to have reached the beginning of my taper without an injury or a niggle, so I'm in the slightly strange position of being all out of excuses before a race lol. (I'll need to get my thinking cap on, headwinds, terrible floods, earthquakes, a herd of mutant star goats ... yeah I'll be able to think up one or two I'm sure  ;) )

Just a couple of weeks of control now ... lets hope I can behave myself o:)

09 Apr - 13.1m
    11 Apr - 13.1m (1:49:46)

YTD: 532.45
  • Best wishes for Boston Nell, you'll be great.

And to everyone else competing inn whatever, best wishes.

Lilly, that 200 mile mark looking good now...you've probably passed it already.

I went to running club last night to test the legs & all felt good, easy pace 7 mile alongside the river.

501 miles YTD

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Evening legends!

Getting close for so many with big race days coming up. Everyone cutting back and tapering now. 

Well Hobie on cracking 500!! Amazing at this point of the year!

Steven I am nervous for you!

So today I actually had a day off and made the most of it!

Got out and did 5k of hills first and then another 4 miles around my local park lake. Wonderful views and very misty today so looked lovely.

Anyway 7.1 miles 

YTD 202.03 miles
  • Lilly61,

Congrats on getting over the 200 mile mark.

With three runs this week I have gone over 800 miles - got a slight twinge in right leg so will be nursing it for the London next weekend.

Also good luck to all those who have got races this weekend and others who have surpassed the century markers
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Quick update

Thanks Harmander and well done on breaking 800. Wont be long before 1000 tumbles!

3.7 miles tonight

205.73 YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I've just written to lengthy post which seems to have vanished.  Probably my clumsiness.  Gist was good luck to everyone but especially Nell,  Harmander and Steve who I think have marathons in the very near future.  Another muddy parkrun,  leaving me exactly a third of the way to the target on 333.3.