Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Best of luck to everyone.  I'll see you at 22 miles where I am on support duty.

If you haven't already seen this, here is what is on offer at the aid stations.  Don't laugh too much at the dodgy English.

https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/information/feeding-zone
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Rob359 said:
    Hi all - good luck for tomorrow! Any clues how long we should leave to get from the Metro to the pens (ie are there long queues for the bag drops etc)?
    Give yourself a decent amount of time. It’s a little walk from bag drop to the pens.
  • Bonne chance everyone! 

Nice to meet some of you last night.  I’ve been awake since 4.30am! 

• jm94jm94 ✭✭
    How did people get on?

Finished in 5:05. Spent 20 minutes in a medical tent at mile 14, as I'd reinjured my foot. Ran the first half in 2 hours and then 3 for the second. Mixture of lack of training and my foot causing me to fall apart. Lesson learned. 

First marathon I've ran, first running event in fact. Enjoyed the feeling crossing the line A LOT, hoping to do the London Marathon at some point. Definitely game for keeping the running going. 
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    jm94 said:
    How did people get on?

Finished in 5:05. Spent 20 minutes in a medical tent at mile 14, as I'd reinjured my foot. Ran the first half in 2 hours and then 3 for the second. Mixture of lack of training and my foot causing me to fall apart. Lesson learned. 

First marathon I've ran, first running event in fact. Enjoyed the feeling crossing the line A LOT, hoping to do the London Marathon at some point. Definitely game for keeping the running going. 
    Well done...enjoy the medal!

Are you coming for a beer? We’re heading to the Frog Revolution at Bastille now. Think the Tarten Pimpernel May have arrived.
  • Nice one @jm94

Just amazing to have completed a marathon,especially with the heat and your injury.

I finished in 4.27.00 and wrote a Strava spiel which I’ve copied below:

<p>“Wow!That was tough.A scorching hot day combined with various injuries/health nonsense that disrupted training at critical times meant my “gold” goal of sub-4 hours was never really gonna be viable.After working quite hard in the heat to churn out 9 minute miles for the first half,I quickly worked out that I just didn’t have it in me to sustain it.A teeny bit frustrating as I’d had no problem getting beyond the necessary pace on my long training runs.</p>
    <p>Unlike London (where I ran the whole thing) I had to shift to run/walk at halfway.To be honest,I would have liked to have kept running non stop for longer/the whole thing but it was just too hot and I didn’t have the miles in the bank to pull it off.</p>
    <p>Last few miles were predictably tough but so glad to have completed it-even though I didn’t achieve my top goal (or get near it) I still beat my London time in what was a much,much harder race and with v difficult context.</p>
    <p><span>So feeling great!Shower,rest,food,beer and maybe a few ciggies are the priority now-viva France etc.And thanks for the “kudos”!”</span></p><p>I am resting up a bit and will prob get dinner near where I’m staying.I still hope to come down for drinks later on tho! </p><p>
    </p><p>
    </p><p>
    </p>
  • Great experience! But as a marathon first timer I now have even more respect for everyone who’s done one. I found the last 12k so so tough - the heat had taken it out of me. I was in bits at the end, so thank you so much to the guy who’s encouragement got me to run the last 200 metres!
  • I am completely broken and not actually sure how I finished. Wanted 3:45 and got 3:51 but was just happy to finish to be honest.  It was so hot and really felt it from 18 miles. Im
    normally good in the heat but I guess the uk winter we've had didn't really prepare me for today. Well done all for finishing.
  • Finished in 5.11. Rubbish. I shall be releasing the paperback version of my excuses for the time soon but there will be chapters on a trip at 5 miles jolting my knee and leaving me bloodied, the heat, cliff bars not being for me, the stupidity of running 5k yesterday morning and then climbing the Eiffel tower and walking another 20k with the family yesterday and my trainers being to old. Mind you all in all really enjoyed the weekend here. Still, I'm saying its my last one now. But ask me again in 2 weeks......
  • M4ttyM4tty ✭✭
    Well done everyone, irrespective of times, you should all feel extremely proud! The heat was almost unbearable at times. Also I now see why they call the Bois de Boulogne the ‘death march’. Not sure how I made it through - it’s all a bit a blur to be honest. I finished in 4 hours 16 mins, which I’m really pleased with. Got a bit held up after the race (trying to rearrange Eurostar return etc.) but will hopefully be over to the Frog shortly for a few celebratory drinks! Hope to see you all there
  • nimpynimpy ✭✭
    Made it round, despite the lack of training, general fitness and a huge logistical error shush meant I had no gels, drinks or even a nuber until mile 26!
    Now enjoying a lont and a burger.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Well done all!

It sounds like it was tough conditions in Paris today. Hope everyone is enjoying a night in the Frog. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Tough day out there folks. I ran home in 3:13 but imploded in the last 10 miles and even had to walk a few times. So glad I stated at 8:30am, must have been much tougher for you all out longer in the sun.

Great to meet many of you last night and thanks for all who organized. I am hoping to do better in London in a couple of weeks if I can pace it better and avoid the walking. But need to rebuild my legs first.  

• Well done everyone, some really good times. 

We also both imploded in the last 10 miles and did some bits of walking etc. Just far too hot.

i was hoping for 4.20 and finished in 4.36, Martin was hoping for 3.20 and finished in 3.48 so neither achieved the goals, just glad it’s over now!

ive worked out who Ben and Greg are (hi, well done!) but interested to know how the other 3 at our end of the table got along. 

Think it it might be another three years before I get over this one and attempt the distance again! 
  • Just under 3:15 here.  The consensus seems to be it was tough out there today and I wouldn’t disagree, especially the 2nd half. Strangely, wind apart, the temp seemed much better for running in the late afternoon, at least up the Eiffel Tower.
  • My kids jumped on to the course to run the last 100 metres which was lovely. Certainly wouldn't happen in London!
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Rome was just as warm - tough, but managed to knock 20 minutes off my PB - probably because I didn't have a melt down in Bois de Boulogne this year! What sadistic marathon planner designs a route with an uphill finish?! 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Eggy. How was Two Oceans? 
  • AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Congratulations to everyone who finished!

I made it round in 3:12:12 and as @OO54 said, I was glad to be one of the early starters, because the heat was only getting worse and worse for me towards at the end!

Why didn't anyone warn me about the Bois de Boulogne?! :s That half-mile climb up to the entrance to the park nearly killed me, I was sooo close to walking! I just about managed to keep grinding along to the finish but it wasn't pretty.

Did anyone else find that they covered a good deal further than 42.2 km? My Garmin clocked it at 42.82 and I found it a bit concerning during the race when my watch started auto-lapping further and further in front of each official course km marker! And that was before the tunnels even started; I had a footpod setup just for the tunnels and it seemed to keep a consistent pace, so I think I genuinely covered too much distance somehow :/

I know there's an art to running the shortest line and I was trying my best to stick near the green racing line, but that's my longest marathon by far :D It was my first big-city marathon and just wondering if that's a common occurrence with the big crowds and massive wide roads that mean you can easily add on a lot of distance if you're not constantly disciplined with your line?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    AW3 - I’d say your gps reading is fairly average for any marathon I’ve ran. It’s why I always say to check times on the course markers, not the watch.

FRG2 - Two Oceans went much better than I could have expected. I finished in 5:37:37, which is much better than I would have dreamed of doing on a hilly 35 mile course as an ultra newbie. I handled the heat well, which made a big difference. 

I had a great day and Chapmans Peak is my favourite road to run now, despite the fact it’s 3 miles up and three miles down. Absolutely stunning views. Went back and jogged back over it a couple of days later with some friends from here.
  • Hi all,

Home now after a great weekend in Paris.

I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the support either directly or just through me reading through this whole thread from beginning to end, it was a real source of info. and reassurance to a marathon newbie, that made all the difference.

Am now busily trying to source a suitable (fast/ flat) autumn marathon.

Well done everyone who ran yesterday and good luck in all future races.

Steve
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Amsterdam Steve! 10m of elevation and good beer! It was my first and I loved it. 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Or closer to home Abingdon 
  • Well done people, sounds like it was a pretty epic weekend. The only person I haven’t heard who wasn’t suffering with the heat is someone I know who trains in Dubai - so respect to you all. Hearing all the tales of the weekend has got me thinking about going back next year...
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to everyone on Sunday and massive thanks for all the fantastic advice in the build up - it sounds like everyone did really well despite the heat!
    I had an utterly dreadful run with knee pain coming on at 8 miles and getting progressively worse so my pace fell off a cliff and my chip time was 5.20 (watch time 5.06 taking into account a number of stops to stretch, apply support, take pain relief etc!).
    Gutted that I had to battle to finish rather than being able to enjoy running in Paris. I swore this would be my one and only marathon, but I'm now looking for an autumn race because I feel like I have unfinished business with the marathon! And I suspect I'll be returning to run Paris next year...
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    FRG2 said:
    Rome was just as warm - tough, but managed to knock 20 minutes off my PB - probably because I didn't have a melt down in Bois de Boulogne this year! What sadistic marathon planner designs a route with an uphill finish?! 
    Excellent work, well done. Whats next?
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    I checked the weather and Sunday reached 23C with humidity of 94%. The year before was 25C but a humidity of 82%. This year was tough. We've done well.

I came home in 4hr 33, and I thought i was going to beat my 4hr 16 pb. I was feeling pretty sick at the end, couldn't get enough water in me towards the end, and for some reason i stopped taking my gels at 15 miles, so no wonder i was in a bit of trouble! 

My Garmin came in at 26.38m, which is fairly normal for me. There are some wide spaces at time which will add some distances on. Also the Garmins don't always like the closeness of the buildings on some roads. Mine struggles with the average pace but seems to deal well with the actual distance.

Whose entering again next year? 
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Home now after a great weekend in Paris.

I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the support either directly or just through me reading through this whole thread from beginning to end, it was a real source of info. and reassurance to a marathon newbie, that made all the difference.

Am now busily trying to source a suitable (fast/ flat) autumn marathon.

Well done everyone who ran yesterday and good luck in all future races.

Steve
    Was great meeting you, and thanks for picking up our tshirts. Glad the physio got your sorted.

Abingdon is def a good flat run, at your pace you'll have some decent runners around you as it's a smaller event aimed at club runners as well as used by the Army.
  • Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭
    Hi only just landed home bit needs some help of anyone's still in Paris??
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

well done everyone. I had a great weekend in Paris. I went with a lovely group of 4 and everyone got on really well which makes things much more enjoyable.  I ran a 4h15 which I was quite pleased with. I was thinking 4h10 - 4h15 at my current fitness levels.  I was a fair bit slower in my last half (2h3 first half and 2h12 second) but I was really pleased that I stubbornly refused to give in and walk when my legs were screaming at me to stop.  My quest for a sub 4 goes on (I knew it wouldn't happen this time as I wasn't fit enough) so have entered Manchester next year.

I was pretty impressed with the organisation as a whole. Picking up bibs on sat afternoon was super quick.

2 of my group were on a Eurostar train on sunday that was cancelled. One had to pay £300 to get a business class seat on Monday morning and the other had to wait until tues night to get back.  French love to  strike!