My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, I was wearing my "look at me" leggings today - high vis yellow with forest green stripes. They're insanely comfotable, though. Almost considered wearing them in Manchester but they'd clash with my club vest. :lol:

Beautiful weather today - sunny and relatively cool. Wore last year's Manchester shirt to inspire myself. Did 4 miles with the middle two at around MP. Legs felt as good as can be expected.

Will, sometimes we need a break. The sluggishness is mostly likely down to sitting around. I feel shite after Christmas most years (although not so much this year as I did parkrun on Christmas day).
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    9miles in just over 1hr07 this eveningArms were out again. Lots of running clubs around. Saw a crow with a limp eating a baby bunny.
  • Nice run JT. Hopefully the extra protein will aid the crow's recovery. 

Form, legs n lungs behaved themselves last night. 5 miles in 45 mins - quite a decent pace for me. Off to West Wales now for a bit of run-tourism. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Cal- eeeek! two days to go! I shall be trying to track you once I get back from my run. I have a few club friends running too- look out for the Orion vest ;-)
    So in true taper stylee, I went to the club on Wednesday evening for a forest run, and a couple of miles into the (too speedy, too mucky, too hilly) run, my lower back / right glue just seized up.  Then it did not ease up. So I jogged home with a kind friend, and panicked!  I've been foam rollering, digging at it with a tennis ball, stretching, and even did a pilates stretch session last night (which I loathe).  A little late for stretching after 5 months of none.... but fingers crossed, I tried a very tentative 4 miles this morning, and it was fine, then a little achey, so I cut the run shorter than planned.  Followed by a swim, which seems to have loosened it up. Then back to the rollering and tennis ball later. Hopefully it's just because I tried to do a tricky run the day after I'd done a 20 - and on the back of a week of 45 miles... 
    Fingers crossed...
  • Careful Nessie! Will cross fingers and toes that it is a one-off thing.

Nice pace Will, enjoy Wales.

JT, you've just put me off my sandwich.  Won't last though as I'm currently permanently hungry.

Don't know how much you will be online so I wish you the best of luck for Sunday Cal.  You deserve a good result after the hard work you have put in despite all those niggles.  Will think of you when I'm out running on Sunday.
  • Ah forgot: 4 and a bit miles recovery pace with a few strides.  Lovely evening.  A farmer was plowing a field, the damp earth smelt fantastic.  He was being followed up and down the field by a group of the local storks looking for titbits.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nessie - hopefully it's just a taper tantrum. (Though, if you remember, my calf seized up in January when I did a long hilly run the day after the running workshop where I did hopping drills... so yeah, it could be a touch overloaded. But your training is done now so if you have to take some extra rest, don't worry).
    Thanks for the best wishes. I've had less training this time (due to injury) so not sure if a PB is on the cards but I'll give it my best. And if not...I've two more marathons this year. :)
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    20 miles done, was tough, took me ages to get going. Not sure I'd given my body time to recover from the sprint work this week. Was very warm too in bits, typical really after all the bad weather we've had.
    Time to taper now, 2 weeks to go till VLM.
    20 miles took 2.32 so on track for sub 4, just already dreading those last 6!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, snew...enjoy that taper. It takes me an hour longer to run 20, so I'd say you're definitely on track.
    Did my mile jog around the block to shake my legs out. My left foot is being crabby. I don't know why - I did sod all yesterday. But it seems OK when I run, at least.
    At this point I'm not sure whether to be nervous or excited about tomorrow. At least I know what to expect.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    snewma unless you walk the last 6miles you'll be sub4hrs for VLM. I'm assuming you're going for 3hrs given your training pace.
    I've lost track a bit of who's running what marathon and when.
    7.5miles in 57mins. Not in the mood. Constant heavy breeze and thick damp air made for conditions to which I am not suited. Still it clocks the pathological weekly 40+miles.
  • Very good work, Hazelnut and Snew. Dedication, as Norris McQuirter used to say.

All the best for tomorrow, Cal. Enjoy the occasion. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

A bit of Parkrun Tourism for me this morning at Llanelli Coastal. Fab atmosphere again, with 50th Parkrun cakes, Welsh humour and a whole set of pacers. The first Swallows of the year zoomed over me as I warmed up - 7 of them :) I decided to go with the 25 min pacer and stuck to him for the first 2 miles, to see how it would go. I had some in the tank so broke free from the 25ers for the last mile, pushed it and ended up with a PB of 24:16. 30/122 runners meant I was well chuffed. Bushy Park next weekend. 

I run, therefore I am.
  • I was thinking similar to JT regarding snewma and sub 4.  But we shouldn't put anyone under pressure.. ;-)

Good weekly mileage JT.

Maras are (I think):

Cal:  Manchester (today), Liverpool
    Nessie and snewma VLM
    Hazel Zurich (same day as VLM)

Excellent work on your parkrun Will.

My mara plan had proposed a tune up race for me yesterday but there were none available within a sensible distance so I tried out a progressive run instead.  2 miles of warm up as I would do for a race (jog, drills, a few strides).  Then 2km at MP, 2 at HMP, 2 at 15k and 2 at a bit faster than 10k race paces.  Hard work solo but I was pleased with the results.  Splits for the 2km show a nice progression:  9:46, 9:25, 9:08 and 8:51.  

Out for my last long run later, currently keeping an eye on the Manchester tracker..

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    I've just had a peek at Cal's result, but I'm going to let her post it here when she gets a chance. I'll just say a huge congratulations :-) :-)

Me- cut short the planned 16 miles to 13, as my bloody glute / lower back were niggling :-( I think the plan now has to be to do very little in terms of mileage except stretching, rolling, cross training
  • Yep.  She can be very proud of that result.  Excellent.

I also cut my 16 miler short but to 10 miles not 13.  Yesterday's efforts in combination with not being able to cope with the 20 degrees plus left me pretty much exhausted and gasping at recovery pace.  If it is as warm as this in 2 weeks I will be in trouble.   
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Whether I saw Cal or not, I don't know, but I walked, trained and trammed my way over to the Manchester Marathon to support a virtual friend from Edinburgh, who is now an actual friend.  She posted a PB.  Perfect conditions.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did indeed and thanks! I knocked a bit over 11 minutes off last year's time with 4:18:20. Unfortunately the results thinks I'm male, but I've sent them a message so hopefully they will correct that.

My plan of sticking the the 4:15 pacer for as long as I could seemed a bit risky but I went with it and actually stayed with him longer than I thought. He only started going away from me slightly after mile 18, and then I slowed to 10:20s from mile 22. I was expecting to slow and built that into my plan, but actually, given that last year I was running 10:40s and 50s (and one mile over 11) it wasn't that huge a slowdown. Even managed a sprint finish. I'm very tired now and my dodgy hip is a bit grumpy but beyond that, my legs don't feel quite as trashed as last year. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Hazel, hope it cools down for you a bit! And Nessie - hope your niggles don't get too bad.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    That's a large slice off your time in 2017.  Very well raced, Cal.  
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Cal - well done!
    Thanks for the pressure everyone, I definitely am not going for sub 3! Haha.
    I'll take 3.59.
    I've broken down on the two VLM's at about mile 22 so need to mentally get past that. Taper time now, luckily experience is telling me not to get too edgy
  • No pressure at all snewma.  :)  In my experience it is a good idea to have a modest goal rather than an over-ambitious one.  Then you can be really pleased when you smash it rather than be disappointed by missing it.  If you have a good day and get past the 22 miles well, who knows. 

Cal, have a good recovery. 

Swittle that is nice regarding your friend and watching the mara.  I am almost surprised there was no running involved on your journey.  :)

Hope you can get those niggles sorted quickly Nessie.

Rest day for me today,  so errm no MLR - just dropping by..
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Sound advice ^ Hazel.  I didn't run until after 9 at night yesterday, mostly beach & XC.  Some excitement at the former Coastguard station: ambulance, vehicles with blue lights flashing and people in waterproofs looking out to sea.  
  • Brilliant marathon run, Cal, and a stonking PB!

Just a few easy miles this morning, with the Welsh hills behind me and the estuary in front. Difficult to fit runs in whilst holidaying, but got up and out early amongst the sheep and primroses. Chiffchaffs were very vocal and a few Swallows skirting around made for the perfect start to the morning, as did the Welsh Champion sausages to follow.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Did a nice 10k on the treadmill last night at MP, felt good although my left hip feels tight so going to be careful this week and rest up on the whole.
    Hazel - you're right, I just want to do myself justice really next Sunday but only pressure I am feeling is what I'm putting on myself!
  • Did you find out what happened swittle?

Nice holiday running Will.

Lovely evening run for me yesterday - just two of us out - where was everyone?  Thanks to the earlier rain shower the air was clear and cool - perfect conditions.
    Saw one deer grazing on the edge of a wood - we were far enough away that it wasn't bothered by our presence - just watched us carefully.  A bit over 10km at 10 minute miling.  Decent considering the 1000ft or so of climbing in the second half.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm still resting. I have a bit of a scratchy throat today and feel very tired so best not to push things, especially as I have a few niggles. I did get a massage though.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    I checked the local press and the interwebnet without success.  There was talk of a family who'd got wet but no worse than that, so maybe a small boat was involved.  

A perpetual motion beagle, and two dogs rescued from Cyprus joined me for short sections of my 4-miler this morning.
  • Im back. Out of space is crap. Don't go there. Locals are some what rude. Laughing at our small heads and giant bodies. (Name the song and the movie. 2 points each)

Didn't check the numbers and got a hamstring strain last Thursday. Did nowt for 72 hours then started the recovery process. RICE, Nordic curls and slow active recovery runs. Its getting better. Mistakes have been made. Lessons have been learnt.

I will survive*

*thats a clue:)
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Oh taper how I hate thee
    I'm controlling the madness and trying to protect my grouchy lower back / glute, by doing the following:
    a super long swim on Monday
    more stretching and foam rolling than I've done in the last two years
    a sports massage (very painful but helpful)
    a body balance class (never done it before, it's a mix between yoga, tai chi and dynamic stretches. )My sports masseur friend teaches it and gave me a freebie- to shut me up?? It was OK
    a tentative 6 miles today. Back / glute felt fine I think!? 
    But legs feel like lead, head feels all over the show, I'm sluggish and tired, and am now telling myself I won't even make it to the start line... Harumph....

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tapering sucks. I had niggles everywhere and was starting to go a bit batty. You'll be fine, Ness.
    As for me, I'm sick. I know the marathon does a number on the old immune system so I'm not surprised, but I've a scratchy throat and feel a bit crap. Tired too. Sleep's been poor, though I've had a couple of afternoon naps to try and make up for it.
  • You will be fine Nessie.  I would be careful with the body balance classes if you are not used to doing them - you don't want any niggles, DOMs from that now. 

Sorry to hear you are not so well now Cal.  No rush for you to get back into it. 

I did my last bit of pre-mara speedwork yesterday.  I was initially surpised to see this still in the plan for the taper but actually it has blown away a few cobwebs and freshened up the legs again.   3 x 1600m (couldn't be arsed to switch the watch to miles so missing a few metres for a true mile rep).  I haven't done reps of that length before I think and was a bit sceptical.  Went very well though with 7:01, 7:01, 7:01.  From now on just a mix of slower pace runs with a few strides here and there and the dress rehearsal with 2 miles at mara pace.  Currently feeling quite enthusiastic about getting to the start line next week.    
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are some consistent reps, Hazelnut! I'm looking forward to seeing how you do (especially since P&D is something I'm considering as and when I try for a sub-4. Which won't be quite yet...but seems more attainable now after Manchester than it did before).

Still not feeling awesome - throat still scratchy, still feel tired - but I felt like I was solidifying in my desk chair so I went out at 11 (since I had to get my washing from the launderette) and knocked out two very slow and ploddy miles. I don't know how much good it did me but I needed it mentally.