Sub 3h15

Comments

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the UltraBoost are anywhere near as running-focused as the 4%. If anything, the Epic React is Nike's version of the UltraBoost; and the Adizero Sub2 are adidas' answer to the 4%.

I think. There's so much info out there it's confusing, and the UltraBoost have become popular as more of a "lifestyle" shoe it seems.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ah yes, the adizero 2 are the ones I was thinking of. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Brighton has non-isotonic High5 gels at 5.5, 17 and 23 but I'll carry 4/6 SIS Isotonic caffeine gels.  I used these in previous marathons so I'm partly used to them!

In previous marathons, I've worked on the basis of one sports drink and one gel every 5 miles so will miss the carbohydrate from the sports drink but four should be enough with one in reserve for the 24/25 mile point if required!

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely going to be looking for some lighter shoes after the marathon. I love the Ultraboosts but they can feel heavy at times. Will see if I can try out the 4%s and Sub 2s. I wish you could rent shoes for a week to give them a proper test out!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

well, you sort of can...... Nike have an extremely lenient no quibble guarantee for something like 6 months on footwear. I've never had causes to use (abuse) it but they will take them back no questions asked. Whether you can get vaporflys is another matter.

I ran in the zoom streak 6 last year which are a good light show but left me battered afterwards. I use them for tempo runs now.

• Busy on here today - are there any races coming up?  ;)

Sounds like it was a tough last 10 miles OO but as others have said, you could well recover sufficiently in time for a good run at London. Surely the incentive of staying in front of me and G-Dawg should spur you on?!

Cracking run from your lad Birch - 2:40:xx on a debut is pretty amazing. Presumably he's already thinking about the next one.

Talking of multiple marathons, chapeau (again) to Poacher - definitely merits a jar of ale at Chandos.

Impressive 10K from you there GM - have you got your sights set on a marathon in the foreseeable future?

I'm in the same camp as you ref timing devices Jools - I race using my bog standard digital watch and only use my Garmin for rep sessions. Aiming for 7 min / mile pace (as I will be in London) makes the calculations at the mile markers pretty straightforward, but for things like a target pace of 6:40 then I just aim for doing every 3 mile chunk in 20 mins.

Gels - I'll also be using a flipbelt and probably load up with 4 Hi5 isogels as they're very easy to take and, depending on the flavour, almost pleasant.

Anyway, back to the present - rest day on Sunday before heading back to the rain in the UK then 7.7 miles of commuting yesterday (including a frantic run back in the evening and just about making the train) followed by a so-so 3 x 1 mile session this morning. 

I'm going to try very hard to get some good quality sleep over the next 10 days - I can easily get by on 6 hours a night, but figure that going to bed an hour earlier than normal would be well worth it.

Anyone other London runners planning to go to the Expo on Wednesday evening next week?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I'm going to try and be there on Wednesday evening, Lorenzo. Just need to wangle a London meeting or excuse to use our London office, meaning I can get travel on expenses and have more money to spend on the London branded New Balance merch!  B):D
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Heading there Wednesday but hopefully be in and out quickly in the afternoon to avoid the temptation of buying new gear.

Also getting the cheeky work travel expenses.

Hopefully be able to put a few faces to names over a pint after the race somewhere.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm going there Friday. Hopefully they'll have some stock left for a change and an expo goody bag. Every previous year I've got there about 2pm Saturday and there's nothing left. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'm going Saturday, will hopefully get there before 12. Going to have a little look around although if its anything like the National Running Show I was very underwhelmed. Also if it's mega busy I will probably get fed up and just collect my number and go.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

PB is a PB Gerard, you can't argue with that.

Yes Lorenzo I'd better get in shape for a scrap with you boys...

I'm lost with shoes at the moment. The ones I used for Paris and Barca are shagged but I don't want to risk a new pair.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Probably a good time to update the race list and see who'll be battling each other next week:

Sunday 15 April -  Brighton Marathon
                                 SBD - Sub 3:05

Sunday 22 April -  London Marathon
                                 G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                 DT -Too early to say yet
                                 Lorenzo - sub 3:05 (although this may be wishful thinking!)
                                 Nicko1981 - sub 3.10

Sunday 6 May -     Richmond HM
                                 MsE

Sunday 20 May  -  Sutton 10K:
                                 MsE

Sunday 8th Sep - Marathon du Medoc
                                Nicko1981 - attempt to stay upright

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                 DT - sub 3
                                 Nicko1981 - sub 3.10

MsE

MsE

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Stevie, mid morning Saturday will probably be peak busy.

Stuck my flag to the mast above, no turning back now....

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I will add to the list :)

G-Dawg sub 3.09
                                 DT -Sub 3
                                 Nicko1981 - sub 3.10
                                 Stevie - Sub 3.15                            

MsE

Birmingham 10k
                                 Stevie - Sub 40

MsE

Draycote Water Half
                                 Stevie - Sub 1.28

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Apologies for my bad formatting! Set some ambitious goals there which will be post marathon legs dependent but we will see!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - That's true and getting closer to my sub 38 target as well which is the main goal. Fwiw I bought s new pair of Boston boosts before Amsterdam (my 5th pair) and only did 2 short runs in them before the marathon and had no issues whatsoever. In fact they felt so good even though I was injured. 

Lorenzo - Thanks. No marathons in the pipeline but I may do a casual run around the Jersey one in October. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Gerard: if I do a marathon it will probably be Valencia (early December) to both allow me time to get fit again and dovetail with probable early autumn holiday with OH.  Or I may just wait until next spring: I'll take a decision in June/July once I've had a few months of proper training under my belt.  At the moment I'm only running 4 times a week and the ankle is still getting tired if I really push it (did 11 with quality on Sat then 13 on Sunday, and it was a bit sore yesterday), so I'm some way off full training, but getting there.

Enjoying the build-up vicariously :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo- as Gerard says, my marathon shoes have only come out of the box for the Liverpool half, so not to late to change. 
  • Nicko - Usual watering hole is Chandos, on the RHS just up Charing Cross Rd from Trafalgar Square past the National Gallery. Normally plenty of runners in there but I suspect we'll be upstairs. More details on the secret codewords / signals to follow.

Making good progress Jools - I like the sound of Valencia. It fell on my birthday (mid Nov) last year but I couldn't get the logistics to work out to make it over there.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to wish SBD good luck at Brighton on Sunday.  I am sulking as I am still not right and have a referral to see a consultant about my Other Ankle.  I haven't run in several weeks and am desperately clinging onto fitness by spinning and pool running.

Well done to Poacher on throwing in a 3:45 marathon on zero training.  And to OO on a fabulous 26.2 as well. Gerard - take the PB, man! You've got to give these small victories the worth they are due.  You are heading in the right direction from where I am looking.  Jools - keep on keeping on!  Hope to see you at an autumn marathon.

Hugs and kisses. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gerard, not so long ago I went just over 2 years without a pb and wasn't even getting close and began wondering what the point was! I always said then that any pb I ever get will be celebrated and enjoyed. Sometimes I have been slightly disappointed with my performance in a pb run but I've still celebrated it. Enjoy them as you never quite know what's to come.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/marathon/london-marathon-2018-weather-forecast

I think weather is going to dominate my taper madness!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Haha, I too am enjoying the build up from far away. Valencia looks amazing and one I have my eye on. All things being well, that could be perfect timing for you.

MsE - Sorry to about this, when do you see the consultant? Thank you! 

After months and months of hideous weather it's looking like things might get warm in London. I hope not for everyone's sake.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's bad news on the ankle MsE - you're due some good luck.  Hope the consultant can sort you out.

Hope the London weather forecasts change before the day - a hot day would be a cruel outcome after the miserable weather of recent months.  Still looking good for Brighton on Sunday with the forecast winds lightening.

Sports massage yesterday and the left hamstring/glute is looking good - still needs a bit of management over the next couple of days - but I'd say we're 80% back to normal.   So Brighton here we come! 

So how does this carbo loading go again ...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I feel sick thinking about the load!!!!

Good that you're fighting fit, SBD.

Sorry to hear about the ankle issues, MSE.

I've got my 3 physio/massage sessions lined up. Chiro Saturday to make sure I'm in a straight line, heavy sports massage Tuesday night, then a light massage Thursday morning.

Anyone ever had a massage at the expo? Might just have 15 minutes there Friday afternoon to loosen off after the travelling. I assume I would need to take some shorts? 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

My friend is a nutritionist and gave me some tips on the carb load. So I am going to carb deplete Sun-Tues and try to water load with 5-6l of water per day and SIS Hydro tabs. Then when I start upping the carbs from Thursday my body should hold onto them better apparently! Ordered some SIS Go bars to help with the extra carbs and I will drink a litre of the Go energy a day as well.

Glad to hear you are on the mend SBD

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT19 - Go for that sub 3! Big respect on hoisting that flag loud and proud. That's a lot of massage time too; reminds me of Thailand.......

Great news on the hamstring SBD, you'll smash it down in Brighton I'm sure.

MsE - hope that you can get back to running in the not too distant future.

Lorenzo - I know the one, luckily one of my clients has an office in St James' with a shower I can use straight after the race, so I'll stick around the area.

Carb load: I've always gone for a plan of Mon/Tue/Wed limit carbs as much as possible; Thur/Fri increase carb intake & complex carbs; Saturday simple carbs and not too much volume of food. High 5 Energy Source to top up and hydrate at the same time. Although the depletion/load format has been somewhat debunked; it's what I've done before so I don't like to change.

Trying not to think about the hot weather forecast, but done the last 3 days runs on the treadmill anyway - so getting used to sweating like a beast!

12 x 400 @ 5:42 pace then 1 @ 5:15 pace last night with warmup mile and a couple of 6:40 miles at the end - trying to run at least 1 mile at an uptempo pace each day; not sure why.

Any recommendations on how much time between getting sports massage and the mara?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5-6 litres of water is a lot.  Keep an eye out for signs of hyponatraemia (sp?) if that is significantly more than you usually drink, Stevie.

Nothing very exciting here: 8M plod last night (all the legs could muster was 8.38s!) and off to the gym tonight.

Gutted for MsE.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Thanks Joolska I probably drink 3-4 litres a day in Tea and water normally while at work so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of an increase. Will be careful though (just about to research the symptoms)

I've never had a massage of any type so can't offer any advice there Nicko & DT!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think the optimum time is 5 days which is why I go with the Tuesday. Saturday isn't massage, its manipulation and spot treatment for any localised pains via needles. It just makes sure my hips are aligned etc.

Thursday is a much gentler full body massage, on the line between very light sports and relaxation.

Carb loading, im not sure I understand the principal of depletion before loading. Surely it's better to just be topping something up any case you under cook it? I just eat and drink normally all week then I aim for 10g of carbs per kg of weight Thursday and Friday, a lot of which I get from orange juice and sports drinks between carb based meals then Saturday I try and chill out about it and just eat carb heavy meals without counting.

Easy recovery with strides over lunch.