Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Well done everyone! Very happy with my first marathon 4.08 - that included two loo stops - which I've never had to stop for before and also stopped to help someone who'd collapsed in one of the tunnels til paramedics came. My gps watch lost signal so I thought I was the other side of 4.30 to 5 hr mark and then in Bois de boulogne I overtook one of the 4hr pacers and there was another behind me. So those guys were off pace. 
    Bois de boulogne seemed never ending- but on the whole the crowd support right around was fantastic!
    Would definitely go again - just the heat !
    Also heard on Facebook group I'm in that a lot didn't get their medals or t shirts - they ran out and also water. Awful especially being out on course over 5 hours to be left in that situation. They'll get the medals posted but not the same really - so sorry for them. 
    Til the next time guys ! Thanks for all the advice over the past few months xx
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Soupy600 said:
    Hi only just landed home bit needs some help of anyone's still in Paris??
    Do you need some help? Couple of people are Paris based and heading across for the London marathon
  • Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭
    @Pistol101 left my phone in a taxi but got sorted now thank you.

But now I'm home and the panics over I can't find my results or photos! Bib 45150 this ever happen to anyone else?? What happens if the chip didn't work or it didn't record??
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Eggy, impressive time! Going again next year?!
    Thanks, Pistol101. Hoping for London next year... or somewhere cooler but dry... any suggestions? 
    Soupy600 I saw a few comments about this. Think you have to email the organisers and they'll look into it. 
  • Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭

@FRG2 thanks emailed them and then replied with as much information as I could and even found a clip of me just about to cross the line.

Is it worth complaining? will anything be done? or is it just a case of tough luck?

• AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    An "official" time is one of the key reasons I do a proper race, so if it's similarly important to you then I'd keep pushing. There are plenty of options explore with the timing company and a big event like that should have a lot of "checks" in place to guard against course-cutters that won't be available to the public. 

Even if your chip malfunctioned they should try their best to reinstate you with an accurate time and an official result.

Good luck! 
  • Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭

@AW3 yeah I agree, but this is the last reply I got(below), feel like its a waste of time doing any more and they just took the time I give them in an email, not even a screen grab from garmin to prove I ran.

Dear, 

The information you gave us with your estimated times were meant to help timekeepers to find back your chip during the race. 

The time on your result page is your official time.  Should have been differencies during your estimated time and the official one?  I just guess your watch is working well. 

• AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like there's a bit of a language barrier there, but you're right, still no splits, no photos etc. for your bib number.

Was this from the Race Organisers or the timing company? The latter has contact details on their website (link below), you might get more traction there? My results there have Chip Time and Time of Day for every split, so if you can figure out the exact time that you crossed some of those lines from your Garmin file and let them know then they might sort it out for you.

My time is still marked "UNOFFICIAL" and "Preliminary - Times and Place May Change" for some reason though!

https://rtrt.me/about
  • Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭

Thanks @AW3 I give them the time of day I started and crossed the line and tired to work out best I could the time I passed the photo stand/stations.

They didn't come back to me and when I emailed it was just yes your result is on the website

• StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    So, has anyone signed up for next year yet??
  • AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    I'd consider running it again; I feel as though the course offers good PB potential and I was very happy with my race despite the last 6 miles being very wobbly and the wheels very nearly coming off!

No rush to enter though, I didn't commit until the start of the year this year and still plenty of spaces in the race, found good deals on Eurostar and accommodation etc.
  • I’d love to go back for a 3rd in a row but with prices only going up a little and good availability of entry, travel and accommodation into next year, I’m going to see what next years race plan looks like first.  I still feel like there’s unfinished business over there.
  • Congratulations to everyone who did it. I know it was a bit toastie over there.

I dropped off the radar for a while as I was having an injury sulk :) ..... managed to pull it together to get round London. Was a bit Toastie there as well! I failed to re-qualify in the heat and due to recent rule changes in GFA my last qualifying time, which did count, doesn' count any more (groan) 

Will try to get into Boston otherwise I might come back to Paris for my 4th turn over there. 

We'll keep this thread open for a bit and switch over to a 2019 one soon-ish. 
  • When does Paris 2019 thread open LOL- I’m going to enter on 4th Sept, have booked hotel, will book flights soon and look forward to joining the discussion.
    Have entered ballot for Tokyo and London and will expect rejection emails from both. Have completed Manchester, Southampton, Brighton spring marathons before so Paris seems to be the one to do and gett guaranteed entry. 
    Look forward to joining the thread soon
    Happy running
  • I've just signed up for Paris 2019. Any tips on accommodation for me, wife and 2 kids?
  • I've signed up for Paris 2019 too - it'll be my 1st international marathon so tips and advice will be gratefully received!
  • Khanivore - The most central location for the start finish is anywhere surrounding the Arc de Truimph. That also tends to be the most expensive.

To be honest anywhere on Metro Lines 1 & 2 will take you dirctly to the start/finish area. I've ran Paris 5 times and stayed at the Ibis at Monmartre each time, as it was cheap and was only a 10 minute metro ride to the Arc.

K83nd0n - The one thing that seems to catch someone out every year is timing of arrival and getting to the Expo to collect your bib. The expo is not in the city centre. It's on the other side of the city from CDG airport if that's how you are arriving. If possible go on the Friday and avoid the crowd. If arriving on the Saturday, make sure you arrive morning or early afternnon and not at 6pm.

Other than that top international marathon tip. Running gear always goes in the hand luggage. Always!
  • @Eggyh73 Thanks for the hotel tip! I will check it out! Great advice on taking running gear in hand luggage too.

@K83nd0n This is my first international marathon too! So far I've noticed that there is a requirement to have a medical certificate. 
  • @Eggyh73 thank you - am planning to get the Eurostar over on Friday morning so will plan to go to the Expo on the Friday and going on the train everything will be hand luggage but hadn't thought of that so good tip! Thanks you. Just starting to look at accommodation so will check out lines 1 &2

@Khanivore yes I need to check with my doc if they will do it
  • I stayed in the Bastille area (5 minute walk to the west of the metro and monument) this year which was pretty handy for getting to the Marathon and not too pricey. 
  • Khanivore Yes there is a French law requiring that all participants must have provide a medical certificate.

You need to download the certificate from the Paris Marathon website and get it signed and stamped by a GP. It's been a point of issue for some over the years. Some GP's do it for free, or a nominal fee, others want to perform a medical check and charge a fair amount.
  • Thanks for all the hints and tips here. I'm going to try and break 4 hrs (for my 5th marathon)... I have heard that it's a very crowded race, or rather I've read that in some places online. Hopefully a PB is still possible though...
  • @Rammpants - I went sub4 for the first time in Paris back in 2012 (my 7th marathon) and I set another PB there in 2015.

It can be crowded at points, but it’s certainly a course that you can run a good time on. Despite the number of runners much of the course is on wide roads, so the bottlenecks aren’t constant. Just avoid running near pacers, as they tend to have a heard following them.

I’d say the weather is a bigger factor than how busy it is. A good few times it’s fallen on the first really hot weekend of the year, many of us struggle with running in the heat.
  • i'm signed up as well and got London GFA two weeks later :) 
    last time i ran this it was about 28 degrees - hoping its not that hot next year! 
    training started this week - need a 3:10 next year
    got hotel about 2miles from start - was going to do Eurostar this year
  • I've noticed this year that you can upload your doctors note on the "Time To" website, negating the need to have it checked when you get there?
  • Hi I’ve signed up for the Paris Marathon!! I’m so excited but I have not completed any admin.  Does anyone recommend where to stay? And do you need a medical certificate to run? Thank you 
  • Bex83 - Yes, there’s a medical certificate to get signed and stamped that you download from the official website. You need that when collecting your bib from the expo, although going on StephA’s post they may have started to allow it to be submitted electronically this year.

As for where to stay. The most central area for the start and finish is anywhere near the Arc de Truimph. That’s also the most expensive on race weekend. Anywhere on Metro lines 1 or 2 will give you direct access to that area. I’ve always stayed in Montmartre and used the metro. Trains are very frequent and easy to get around.
  • Just checking if this is still the current Paris Marathon thread? Had my Boston Marathon rejection email this morning - missed the cut off by 7 seconds - so on the positive side, I'm free to run Paris again in 2019.
  • baldstan - That's a brutal way to miss Boston. Those qualifying times are tough.
  • Thanks Eggy. Yes this year the cut off was 4'52" under the qualifying time, so I'm sure there are a lot of other disappointed people who thought they'd done enough and have missed out. And they're reducing all the qualifying times by 5 minutes for 2020 so I'm not going to worry about running a BQ any more, well not until I get into the next age bracket. Anyway Paris is going to be a lot more fun and a lot less expensive to get to!