VLM 2018!!

Comments

• HappyBunny - Fair enough, there may be other ways of easing the chafing too to try out (albeit wait until after the marathon). I'm always thinking quite a few folk will find running in shorts nicer if they give it a try.

Like the pacers line up - plus a comedian hidden in there too!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Having run London quite a few times it usually works as follows..

Pen 1.. sub 3
    Pen 2.. sub 3:15
    Pen 3.. sub 3:30
    Pen 4.. sub 3:45
    Pen 5.. sub 4.00
    Pen 6.. sub 4:15
    Pen 7.. sub 4:30
    Pen 8.. sub 4:45
    Pen 9.. sub 5.00 & beyond

Carpvw.. they are starting 5+6 together on blue & red so in theory you should be able to start with the 4hr pacers (around 10:20-10:25).  Only potential problem is you don't find out your zone number for certain until you receive your number at the Expo. Hope that helps.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks.  I've been following a 3:45 plan, so I should be - in theory - capable of holding the 3:45 pace until I can regroup with the 3:59 pace group.  Might take a bit longer due to crowds, but I have 26 miles in which to do it :)

All that being said, I picked up a slight glute strain doing a threshold 5K yesterday so it might be that I settle in with the slower group through necessity.  Hopefully not, though, I have 10 days to 'heal thyself'....
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    jtced - can I suggest that any threshold runs at this point are more likely to cause problems than to improve fitness. At this stage, with 11 day to go, there's not much you can do to get fitter. Sorry to hear that you've picked up a strain, hope it's nothing serious. Even if you have to rest now and do nothing before the 22nd, this won't hurt your marathon, just means you'll be well-rested. Take it easy!
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Agree rodeoflip - my mrs doing her first marathon and wanted to do a long run last night. I said no, gentle 6k to keep going. A long, or threshold, run is only going to be negative for your training - very little benefit

10 days to go and maranoia is in full swing in my house
  • vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to check what you put down at for an expected finish time?  I have no idea what i put!!
  • I appreciate that this is really me thinking aloud, and really nobody else can really know the answer, but hey...

Went out for a long run about 3 weeks ago, and cramped up badly around 13 miles, and had to walk the rest (another 5 miles). I suspect that the long run cramps were due to dehydration, but this obviously hit my confidence, and found it difficult to get back out for a week or so. Once I got back to it, the running was hard, and I feel desperately underprepared for London now.  

Heading out tonight for a gentle club run, and will see how I feel after that, but seriously contemplating deferring now. 

Any thoughts out there?
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Hallam - only you will know if you are truly ready. Depends if you are after a specific time, but this is perfectly normal to have these thoughts pre marathon. See how tonight goes, if you are risking real injury then defer, but this close to the event, I'd say go for it - no pressure and enjoy the day!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Hallam - it depends what you'd banked already? Any 18+ milers? If your training up until then had been going well then missing one wouldn't be a problem. Even missing a week or 2 of training wouldn't necessarily be the end of it - depends what your target time is? Maybe just run it slower than you had been plannning

You think the cramps were caused by dehydration - do you have a strategy to stop that happening on the 22nd?

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Hallam, I agree with snewma00 - only you can answer your question (as you rightly said). My 2p-worth - deferring is a bit of a last resort. You can only defer once, and who knows how you'll feel this time next year - you might be better, you might be worse. Cramps are not uncommon on longer runs, and very common at the back end of marathons. I have suffered badly from cramps in the past from 20 miles onwards. Was it warm on your long run, which might have caused you to sweat more and lose fluids? If so, fluids will include salt and minerals, and if not replaced, this is a classic cramp situation. The remedy is isotonic drinks rather than water, and maybe even taking on salt or hydration tablets (e.g.- Nuun). Bananas are also meant to be helpful. The only problem here is that the current forecast for VLM weather is for a fairly hot day, so hydration could be important.

Were you hydrated properly before your long run? If you hadn't had much to drink the day before (or drunk alcohol) then your fluid levels could have been low to start with.

Gentle club run is good, I'll be doing exactly the same tonight. You should not be doing any more running than this at this stage now, so take it easy. Better to turn up undertrained and healthy than overtrained and knackered.

Bottom line - it's up to you, but I would also go for it. Have a think about hydration, but you have an opportunity to run the marathon - I always think it's better to try and see what happens than to DNS and defer.

If it's any consolation, maranoia will be sweeping the country over this week and next, you're very definitely not the only one full of self-doubt and worry. This is normal.

Whatever you decide, good luck and if you go for it, hope all goes well and you have a great day.

• Good news - BBC weather now has 14 degrees for Sunday 22nd, 10-13 during the race.
  • Good news - BBC weather now has 14 degrees for Sunday 22nd, 10-13 during the race.
    And our day would be complete if they call off the DLR strike!  : ;)
  • Getting maranoia and excitement for the now race. I have been following this forum for a while now and this will be my first full marathon. I have been training for months and currently tapering in preparation for the big day.

Any tips and recommendation for 'quiet' areas for spectators, as from what I can tell there aren't any as my wife and family want to see me at least once and she is heavily pregnant with a toddler in toe. Shes also starting to panic herself with the idea of terrorism now so I am starting to think that they would be better off enjoying other sites of London, any recommendations and where they can go to avoid the crowds if spectating isn’t practical which would be a shame.
  • There used to be 9 pens at the start,so if there are 9 waves and each wave starts at +4 minutes behind the previous waves last runners does that mean that us in the last wave won’t cross the start line for 36/37 minutes? 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's about right Dave, the VLM info says 7,8 & 9 will start around 10.33-10.36.  The plan is for everyone to be away by 9.40.

TBH I wouldn't mind a pleasantly warm day after the winter we've had.
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Website now says Blue Start 7&8 across the start line from 10:33-10:39; and Red Start 7&8 from 10:36-10:44.
  • Someboy  - there's a map here - http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/117/2018-VMLM-Isle-of-Dogs.pdf

I always think that the run up to Mile 10 would be a good one to spectate at - its  long road with a grassy verge and a footpath over.  There's plenty of people but it's not as crowded as the rest of it is. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5018965,-0.0355968,3a,75y,174.6h,95.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjue05wtZ8gyqlhwXMbpOOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also trees around in case you need the shade or shelter from the rain. 

• Felt a bit more like it after last night's run. Not worrying about times (well, might hook up with Harmander's 5 hour pacing group). 
  • > @cougie said:
    > Someboy  - there's a map here - http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/117/2018-VMLM-Isle-of-Dogs.pdf
    >
    > I always think that the run up to Mile 10 would be a good one to spectate at - its  long road with a grassy verge and a footpath over.  There's plenty of people but it's not as crowded as the rest of it is. 
    >
    > https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5018965,-0.0355968,3a,75y,174.6h,95.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjue05wtZ8gyqlhwXMbpOOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    >
    > Also trees around in case you need the shade or shelter from the rain. 

Hi Cougie,

Thank you for this. I have taken your suggestion and given this to my wife and she is pretty happy with this. We are staying in Croydon overnight so she will take the overground with the rest of the family to watch me in action. Thats if she is lucky enough to spot me.

Thanks
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Someboy - if your wife is planning to meet you afterwards at the finish, then this will somewhere be at the NE end of the Mall. It is incredibly busy there so probably best using the official meeting points. If so, then if she waits at the end of the road which runs in front of Horse Guards Parade, at the barrier at Birdcage Walk then she'll see you running with half a mile to go, and once she's seen you, she can be at the meeting point long before you get there. My wife does this every year and it works well. Lots of trees there as well (St. James' park)
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Slightly unusual question, but my 11-year-old son is coming down and will be spectating in the company of two adult friends.  He wants to bring his camera (my old cast-off Canon dslr) but I wondered whether a short person stands much of a chance of seeing anything?  The official charity viewing point is near Big Ben, so I would imagine it'll be rammed there.  Also, I take it that it's generally child-friendly for viewing?  
  • My wife isn't the tallest but she always gets a space on the barriers - a little further down the course though - I'd hope that adults would let kids get onto the barrier.

She goes to just before the 25m point and then its easy for her to walk up to the finish through Charing Cross. 
  • Another random freak out moment... sweat in the eyes i have been wearing a beanie and that has kept the sweat out of my eyes on my 10 mile run last weekend it was too hot to wear does Vaseline on the eyebrows work or should i try and find a thinner hat?
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Buffs work well...
  • ive ordered one ill see how i get on with it sunday
  • Hi all, this thread is such a huge help, especially for a first time marathoner like me! Just after some advice for dealing with pre-race anxiety, I always struggle a lot with this before any race. It's pretty bad this time round as training hasn't gone so smoothly and obviously the fact that it's the marathon haha. I am a chronic over thinker/worrier too which doesn't help... I'm getting anxiety dreams, in which I'm running along and then trip in a pothole, as I fall I jolt awake! I am looking forward to the day but I am dreading next week because I know my anxiety will go into overdrive! Anyone got any tried and tested tips for dealing with this? Thanks in advance :)
  • > @Greenhairedhurricane said:
    > Hi all, this thread is such a huge help, especially for a first time marathoner like me! Just after some advice for dealing with pre-race anxiety, I always struggle a lot with this before any race. It's pretty bad this time round as training hasn't gone so smoothly and obviously the fact that it's the marathon haha. I am a chronic over thinker/worrier too which doesn't help... I'm getting anxiety dreams, in which I'm running along and then trip in a pothole, as I fall I jolt awake! I am looking forward to the day but I am dreading next week because I know my anxiety will go into overdrive! Anyone got any tried and tested tips for dealing with this? Thanks in advance :)

i have had the same (different dreams) but about 2 weeks ago it was horrendous didn't sleep properly for about 8 days but i just went through all the martin yelling videos on Facebook and watched some videos on youtube and just made me really excited i have been struggling with IT band/ pulled piriformas gutted at training was going well up until this but i figure as long as i make it to the start line stubbornness and the crowd and everything will get me through albeit somewhat slower than i'd originally hoped aim now is to finish in front of the oldest runner ;)
  • @carpvw aah yes, Martin Yelling always makes me feel better! Hope the IT band is feeling better! My training was going well until after my half marathon, my hip bursa flared up and it was painful even to walk on. It's much better now, but like you my plan is just to get to the start and let pure stubbornness carry me through! Will be walk/running though as I think that's the only way I'm going to make it through, but may end up crawling over the finish line :D
  • Thanks for the map - yes that 15-18  mile loop around the IODs id definitely the best place for quiet viewing..some places there will be no barriers and 50-100m stretches of road with no spectators on at all, especially brilliant when the leaders come past.

Forecast changed a bit, 14-19 degrees now. Long time to go though..

• haha yeah i think realistically i was always going to be a run walk but had hoped to get sub 4.30 but i think plan is now sub5/5:30