Comrades 2018

Comments

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, sounds like fun (for some)  :) . First trick would be to even try to meet up along the way.  I think I'll wear my Johannesburg Wanderers colours (vest has "Terry" in big print), with a Comrades cap. If you're happy to try this we can confirm meet up details next week (I of course would not be able to afford time to wait to meet!)  :)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Blimey lowrez, i'd have no problem running at the required pace if she was in front of me :):):)
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Indeed Marty - much better trying to keep up with her, rather than have her behind me with the sjambok!!  :):)
  • Terry, absolutely no expectation that you hang around waiting.  Wanderers are red vests? 
  • Springboks playing England the night before Comrades ....  anyone planning to watch in Durban?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Think I'll be sound asleep JAR especially with it being a down run - earlier night than an up run!

Not sure what London start I am on, maybe will only know for sure post Excel pick-up.

That's a good point Terry, in my qualification elation I was forgetting that every second counts so who knows where I will be on course in comparison to your good self; you of course need to stay focused once you are over that line and stay on target. I will look out for Comrades caps :)

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    The start allocation depends primarily on how you got your place, lowrez.  If it's a charity place it will be Red and club and ballot places are on Blue.  Or perhaps Britney can sneak onto Green as a celebrity.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hmm so I am a charity place on red then, and Terry and JAR and Becca are on green? So I will have to come up with a celebrity plan to join you otherwise I will have to await the merge and then scan for caps. Like royalty I don't wear the same outfit twice so I have my work cut out to get something ready for a week on Sunday; I suppose I will break that rule though if I can't get anything sorted. At least I know I can complete 26 miles as Britney.
  • Thanks Becca,  I won a ballot place so that means I'm in the blue start this year. 

Lowrez - you're a dead-ringer for Britney,  I'd be very upset if they stopped you entering at the celebrity start.   you could run as a zulu warrior..if you haven't done that yet

(Terry - are you also getting nervous?)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

So we are splattered across all the starts then? It will be a miracle if we find each other on course won't it? Maybe The Harp is going to be the only coinciding spot - where we can tell great tales of our 26s?

JAR - thanks for the suggestion - are there many female Zulu warriors? Not sure that is a good suggestion - I need some kind of garb to hold me belly fat in - otherwise there are going to be a lot of ill people out there :)

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    JAR, yes also getting quite nervous.  My training mileage is totally inadequate to hope for a Comrades finish (or even a London sub 5) but I am nevertheless really keen to at least try to reach the start line! Silly sentimentality surely? You asked about my club colours - yes, predominantly red as in my icon here, now with my name across the front, plus Comrades cap.

The Harp after is appealing - I look forward to meeting there even if not on the run.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Definitely not silly Terry. Having struggled with form these past 2 years I know what a challenge the 5 can be, but its definitely worth pitching up for. Will have my eyes peeled for the cap and those colours. Got everything crossed for a good result :)
  • Terry - don't dwell too much on recent condition, you could talk yourself out of it.  There's benefits from years of running to help you physically and mentally grind out that sub 5 in London - keep the faith. 

also don't forget that If Lowrez is there we'll all negative split on the day

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I negatively split my knee open and the heel of both hands taking a tumble in the dark over a sandstone wall that had collapsed across the pavement. Didn't see anything until cablammo, could have been much worse once I realised what a heap of rubble I had collided with - took 2hrs of teeth clenched scrubbing to get all the embedded grit out of my wounds - don't think there is too much wrong with me though; I got up and ran the 2 remaining miles home. Looks like it'll be a scabby London run! 

Yep, if we do manage to coincide on this course it is going to be one hell of a finish; JAR what if we dress up olde worlde style and bring a sedan chair, then Terry can hop on board any time he needs to and we can plough on to that sub5 with him.

• Glad you didn't kneed to go to A&E
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    That doesn't look so bad and hopefully won't impact on your training, lowrez.  I split my knee open in January and really did kneed to go to A&E.   
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Ooo I remember that one Becca - were you stitched up?

Here at work I just noticed my leg was wet, that lower section, despite a dressing was weeping into my shoe. I have just had my knee kneaded by two wonderful first aiders. Hmm, London costume idea... did Britney ever appear as a nurse?

I plan to run a half at the weekend, think I am going to be best leaving it till Sunday to let everything knit.

It was the thought of A&E that kept me going at all the cuts - the heels of my hands are a mess too - with scouring pad, toothbrush and sewing needles to get all the grit and soil out myself - hoping I did on OK job - don't want complications!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Ouch.  I had 8 stitches and the nurse got a scrubbing brush in the wound but it was all numbed up by that point so it didn't bother me but your DIY version sounds worse.  Grazes like yours do seem to weep a bit as part of the healing process.   
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Oh 8 stitches - that was a major slice - do you have a scar - with stitch holes either side?

Does everyone have a knee that complains from time to time? You know, bit of pain here and there and you wonder if its the start of something - its that knee that took the hit - although when I think about it; it was absolutely fine at Manchester and is being a great trooper now too - not a peep of internal gripery :)

On my hands there were black blobby rises that I thought were full of soil but I couldn't see any breaks in the skin, sticking a needle into the largest produced a fountain of blood, blood blisters! Great fun; I have left the rest; I think they say things are best left un-popped to prevent infection. 

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Yikes, my hands were OK and it I think that's one of the reasons why the knee was freakishly bad.  I do indeed have a scar and it's either a smiley mouth or frowny mouth depending on your perspective.  It smiles at me.  It didn't actually hurt and I didn't at the time realise it was so bad and ran the 1.5 miles home with no ill effects.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Glad you got the smiley side of the bargain - you are a real trooper running home with your knee cap cover hanging off :)
  • Sympathies, lowrez - hope all heals with no problems. Do watch out for infection. Very well done getting the grit and stuff out.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Ouch Lowrez,  but on the positive side, at least the fall and damage was after you'd qualified!
    I'm about to have a week of minimal running (cycling holiday) and in 2 weeks time do a CTS marathon, feeling positive about it, but should be interesting as my longest run since October was a half last weekend :-) Great thing about hilly off road runs, is the finish time is meaningless and you feel justified taking plenty of walking breaks to admire the great scenery! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks DB and McH - McH that sounds like ideal Comrades training on CTS.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Look after your wounds Lowrez, at least they were after your qualifier!

I had a really nice parkrun this morning. 28:48 is not exactly speedy but it was at slightly less than maximum effort and I felt really good during and after. I also did about the same distance and pace yesterday and also felt good. Now feeling a bit more positive about trying for sub 5 in London!  I just wish I had more miles in my legs for better long distance endurance (only about 30 miles/week lately).

Have a good weekend's running all.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Thanks Terry, you are right, if a fall was coming its turned up in the right place. Quite achy today, is it falling over DOMS? In particular my triceps, slicing food and pushing doors are a new ouchy experience ha ha.

Really want to do a half marathon training run tomorrow but with my knee knitting back together each step is a slightly painful tearing sensation, we will see what tomorrow brings.

This is playing havoc with my costume choices for London, no way I can try stockings over this rawness and I don't want to put plasters on stuff and stop the drying out/healing process.

You sound so close to a sub5 Terry, all my training this year has been on 3 runs per week on a 25 mile/30 mile rotation. I know I should be doing a lot more given my event list but it does illustrate sub5 is a realistic goal off of that :) Good result for you today in the 5, all the recent timings you have quoted point to sub5 being achievable.

• Terry, great to hear you had a good parkrun. Think positive for London!

lowrez, yes a bit of soreness is to be expected - bruising and all that! Take care of yourself and take it easy this week.

• Fowlmead 50-mile Endurance Run complete yesterday in 9:49 - not what I was wanting, but I went into it really tired and flat-and-tarmac really is not my favourite. The medal, however, is amazing - on the right it says  "88000 yards, 1056000 inches, 2 sore feet"! Warm and sunny and I now have some strange tan/sunburn lines. Legs feel fine today - I've just got back from a 3-mile recovery run, most on grass and through a boggy area at the end - great fun!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well done Debra, that is an amazing medal, and an amazing time in my opinion!

Did my half training run fine, feel good for London now, aches ebbing away, knee still nigglingly knitting together though; looking forward to not having to be careful about all my cuts, hands are particularly awkward.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra.  50 miles around there must have required some great mental strength.  That's quite some medal.

lowrez -Great that you got your half done.  Looks like London could be good for getting used to running in heat ahead of Comrades.

McHilly - looks like you have an even better hot weather training approach at the moment.

I had a good time supporting at Brighton on Sunday and saw a few Comrades caps going by, plus of course Slow Duck.  It was back to hot yoga for me last night.  I was pleased with how it went, particularly as it turned out that I had a load of classes left over from a block I had bought last year.  This was like finding a big bundle of £10 notes that I had forgotten about.