Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck in Brighton, SBD. I've done it twice and it's a good event. Got my first GFA there and now qualify for the elite start!  :disappointed:
    The Road To Hell section is a bit depressing and you'll witness a few unlucky souls see their PB ambitions crash and burn around there. It's an ugly section for a number of reasons.

Final double digit run of the campaign all done for me. 12 easy miles which on paper seem quicker than they should be. Averaged 7.23 with all splits in the 7.2x range. Slower paces felt more of a stumble and the hip issues felt comfy at that pace, so I just stayed there.

My HR graphics show I was in the easy green zone, all the way, so I know I wasn't pushing. It was probably the warmest run of the campaign too with the sun shining all the way. Didn't take a drink but guzzled a protein shake when I got in.

Still need to work on this hip but overall feeling pleased to have got 640 quality campaign miles under my belt despite injury niggles and cold lurgies that last for nearly 3 months.

Once again, SMASH IT SBD!!!  B)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    nicko - Well done on the course pb, that's a huge improvement on what sounds like a very tough course. Ours is hard too with about 260ft and the last 500m is all up a steepish hill. Not ideal for a sprint finish. :wink: I love the heat but certainly wouldn't like it too hot for a marathon. The shorter races like 5 and 10k, it doesn't affect me at all. Try not to worry about the weather too much as it might change. I always think it's much worse for the less speedy runners around the 4-5hr mark. When I did Amsterdam last year it was around 23c at mid day. It didn't really bother me as my legs and feet were killing me but other runners said it was way too hot. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard, Nicko - excellent parkrunning pb's   

15 steady this morning with my daughter - very pleasant in the sunshine,  in shorts and long sleeves, after the grey dankness that dominated the week.  

SBD - have a great race - your campaign deserves it !!!   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Gerard that's a cracker of a parkrun. I opted to be sensible and pace my daughter at parkrun for 2 miles with a 6:10 blast for the last mile - conditions were perfect. 8-10 in the Lakes tomorrow should round the campaign off nicely. I'm on Blue start this year at VLM.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice runs GM, Birch, OO et al. Birch there is a round yellow thing in the sky on the west side of Pennines - can’t identify it.

Good luck SBD, you are in excellent shape and a fast one beckons.

No running here, the lurgy is getting worse. Starting to think about DNS in London. But there is still a week to go and I’m very reluctant to break the streak which goes back to 2006.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, SBD.

Nicko and Gerard, great park running and times on what sound like difficult courses. 

oo- Good restraint.

Poacher, don't make any decisions just yet!

I also went along today. Had a poor sleep and didn't feel great when I woke. if it wasn't last fast session before London id have stayed in bed. Warm up was no better either.

Went out like an idiot for some reason. By 800m I was blowing and my stomach was playing up. By Mile 1 I felt sick and feared a complete collapse. It was tough to keep going and by mile 3 I turned watch display off as it felt like I was running through mud and stomach was really hurting. 

Pleasantly surprised at finish to come in 18.44 with splits of 5.50, 6.05, 6.11 and 5.59 for last 0.1. That's 11 seconds faster than the only other running of the course 2 weeks ago. If I can do that on a bad day then it bodes well.

10c felt warm mind in the sunshine. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Poacher said:

As for Chandos, in the past posters have failed to meet up due to lack of visually recognising folks they only know online. It's tempting to suggest going upstairs right at the far end of the bar on the right where the OO and Lorenzo families have congregated the last couple of times. What do you think?  Its a bit less of a zoo than downstairs.

Yep, last year was my 4th VLM and the first time I made it to Chandos. I drank two pints and walked about for 30 minutes but didn't meet a sub 3:15 thready. :(   I hope you all meet up this year!  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Good luck to SBD tomorrow.
    I think I missed GM's 10k PB last week or was that a dream? Cracking parkrun too. You are in great form at the moment.
    Hope all the London racers hold things together in the last week and Poacher is feeling okay soon.
    All go here. Safely back in the UK and now getting ready to head up to the Lake District to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. 3rd week of no running. No gym at the hotel, but there is a tiny pool. Either that or I sneak my wetsuit in the suitcase and do some open water swimming ;) Spoilt for choice!
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Overdoing the rowing machine has set off a lot of pain and I bombed and ran my last two Park Runs at the end of March in 21 minutes. Staggering 3 minutes slower than the sub 18 minute Park runs I ran in November and December. I have to regain fitness and strength and get back into doing cycling and gradually improve my Park Run times. My 10th and final marathon  has been put on hold until 2019. Good luck to all the participants in the Brighton and London Marathon!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    SBD your up today, go smash it and best of luck.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the map, Chandos isn't far from my hotel so I'll find it Saturday. 

Go well, SBD.

At a kids rugby tournament all day but planning an easy 10-12 later on.

That commonwealth Mara looked pretty brutal!

Enjoy the lake district, Gul. 
  • OMG - just seen the video clips of the Commonwealth Games Marathon. Shocking. I was listening to the end of the Callum Hawkins interview on MT this morning so really feel for the lad.

Hope SBD is having more joy on the roads on the South Coast - looking forward to the report.

Enjoy the Lake District Gul.

Poacher - yes, let's say upstairs at Chandos. I'll probably have a magenta Dorking and Mole Valley AC hoodie on if that helps to recognise me. Hopefully OO can reserve us a few seats as he'll be there first!

So, managed to get out for 5000m on the track yesterday as a bit of a test of speed. For some reason I've struggled in the past to replicate parkrun speed on what should be an easier, flatter surface (parkrun PB: 18:48 in 2014, track 5000m PB: 19:45 in 2015), but I set out with the aim of 90s laps to see how it went.

First 1600m in just under 6 mins, was at about 12 mins when I got to 3200m and ended up with 18:55 for the 5000m. So, an average pace of around 6:05 min/mile, a 50s track PB and less than 10s off my parkrun time from 4 years ago. In a nutshell, very happy with that and gives me confidence that despite feeling a big sluggish I'm not in too bad shape for next weekend.

Just over 9 miles easy this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great work, Lorenzo. Good speed. 
    I'll have a couple of others with me but I'll also try and get to Chandos next week.

4 mile recovery today. 7.32 pace felt like the slowest jog but I was pleased with the session discipline. Rolled the hip area before heading out and I think it helped.

Tracking a mate on the Brighton Athlete tracker at the mo. He's hit the wall or picked up an injury. His last 5k was 48 mins, poor sod. He wanted a 3.45, he'll be lucky to get 4.45...

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    The marathon God's were playing games today at Brighton but managed to cross the line in 2:59:3x. So GFA achieved and very happy!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations SBD, great result.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Fantastic SBD, well done! I look forward to the report.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wicked Skills, SBD!!  B)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Excellent result! Looking forward to the report. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Brilliant result and well deserved, SBD! Eat all the food and drink all the beer now. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news, SBD :)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    SBD Well deserved sub 3  and one of a select few on here who has overcome the 315 thread curse lol ! 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Excellent from SBD. Not sure what age group you are in but I’m guessing that this represents a seriously good effort. Congratulations.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great work, SBD - very pleased for you :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Amazing work, SBD. Very pleased for you.

Now, what's this about a thread curse??? 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    No one warned me about a curse. This was not in the Ts and C's. I demand a refund.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Definitely no curse - the forum is a stepping stone to achieving Sub 3:00 if it's something you desire.  Ask Jools, MsE, Poacher and OO ...

Well done on breaking the 19 at the PR Gerard - 18:3x shouldn't be far away.

A PB for the hilly PR course has to be good nicko!

A good last long run for the London Campaign G-Dawg - plenty of recovery time for the hip next week.

Good to get out in the sunshine Birch and a solid 15 miles.

Good family pacing duties at the PR OO.

You really don't want to break the streak Poacher.

An excellent result on a bad day DT19 - you need to take it easy over the last week of the taper.

Welcome back Gul - so you don't think you'll get away with a run in the Lakes?

Sorry to hear you've had to pull out of the Marathon Sub17PR - what was the problem on the rowing machine?

Good speed work on the track Lorenzo.

Thanks for all the congrats.  Still on a high here which may take some time to come down from.  Working on the report ...

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Poacher - in 2 weeks time I'll be V55!  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Heavens that's impressive for an (almost) EOG55.   As comebacks go, you have not only nailed it but riveted, welded and superglued it too. Top banana!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Dt19 /Nicko It just seems that way  no curse here  sub 3 is very difficult , not sure what the stats are but its something like 2% of runners will run sub 3 so for most of us its a real achievement and especially if you are middleaged but at 54 !!! its mighty impressive. Many desire it but few ever achieve it !