VLM 2018!!

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The last time it was truly warm at London (2007) my strategy was to wear a baseball cap which I occasionally took off at the water stations, poured water into it then put it back on my head.  Worked very well.
  • I’m going to ask a really stupid question here- but how will they know what your predicted time is and if you are in the right pen? Could you not switch pen, how would they know?
  • There will be a small number indicating your pen on your running number
  • Ahh! Thank you Harmander!
  • Your running number will also indicate the colour of your start - I thought I ought to mention that now before anyone asks if they can change from one to another because someone they know is on the other start.  The answer is NO you can't

• You are also asked to wear your number in FRONT of your kit - it is so your picture can be taken and then offered to you later - it is always nice to be spotted in the last few hundred metres too and hear your name over the tannoy - they identify you from your running number and it is impossible to see what it is if you decide to pin it to your back
  • I am choosing not to comment on how to cope with nerves because my advice may not be seen as 'encouraging and positive' as I have been so far.

I have run over 1100 races, with nearly 400 that have been longer than half marathon and I still am apprehensive before every race but for different reasons - I overcome my fears by believing in myself and the training I have done. 

Frankly, with less than 200 hours to go and no control over the weather, DLR and any unforeseen mishaps between now and until after the race, I have learnt that worrying about such matters has never solved them.

Just big yourself up and be proud of what you have achieved to date and look forward to celebrating afterwards
  • I am choosing not to comment on how to cope with nerves because my advice may not be seen as 'encouraging and positive' as I have been so far.

I have run over 1100 races, with nearly 400 that have been longer than half marathon and I still am apprehensive before every race but for different reasons - I overcome my fears by believing in myself and the training I have done. 

Frankly, with less than 200 hours to go and no control over the weather, DLR and any unforeseen mishaps between now and until after the race, I have learnt that worrying about such matters has never solved them.

Just big yourself up and be proud of what you have achieved to date and look forward to celebrating afterwards.

Come and say hi to me at the Expo - would love to see you all.

Just big yourself up and be proud of what you have achieved to date and look forward to celebrating afterwards.

Come and say hi to me at the Expo - would love to see you all.
    Harmander, I think it's quite encouraging that even someone like yourself, with your experience get nervous, and I think you're right - all any of us can do is trust what we have done on training!  Thank you for sharing.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Marathon week and I've put my back out sleeping funny Saturday night.
    Massage tonight and tomorrow for me!

• Good morning folks, am I reading too much into the tracking app info, is it still just showing times over timing mats or is it showing actual GPS position of runners? 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    It will definitely be tracking mats, then estimated position. The technology to give a GPS position of each runner via a shoe chip is not feasible - also would be a big privacy issue before and after the race!

If I'm wrong, things have come a long way.
  • Dave, I think I read somewhere it's every 5km, halfway and finish with an estimate made based on the previous 5km time?
  • Thanks folks,that’s how it usually works,I was just reading it wrong, that makes a change for me,lol 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Dave - if you have a Garmin watch, I think there's a GPS tracking service where supporters can track you in real time via Garmin Connect. Never used it myself, but maybe worth a look?
  • Hi all.

I can't believe its been a year since I ran my first marathon in 2017 for Bloodwise.

For the first-timers, I was you last year and please be reassured that its a absolutely fantastic day, full of many different emotions but I do understand that this week will be full of worries and nerves for you.

The very best of luck, I enjoyed the atmosphere so much last year that this year I will be manning the ClicSargent cheer point on Tower bridge to cheer you on.

There are some amazing people on here - Harmander in particular answered many stupid questions from me, he's the expert but if there is anything I can help you with then please don't hesitate to ask.

Hoping you have a fantastic day, Jonathan
  • And some more supporting advice if anyone on here isn't running it. When you look away from the runners and stare at something stationary like a wall - don't be concerned if it appears to be moving. You're not on drugs, it's just what happens.

I've also supported hungover before. Not a good idea..not as bad as running with a hangover...but still not a good idea ;)

• Just seen the latest weather forecast for London on Sunday, predicted 21+ degrees, could be the hottest on record, don’t forget the suncream 
  • And our pacer kit is all black - lovely (not)
  • For the first timers -make sure you hydrate more than you would normally - even if you don't feel like it.

Also, I would suggest that you sort out your toe nails now so that they are properly normalised by Sunday.

Don't forget to trim your finger nails too as they can catch the volunteers handing out the drinks.  Think of others please.

Thanks
  • Hi all, first timer here! This hot weather forecast has thrown my preparations somewhat.

can you buy things like running hats,, sweat bands, sun cream etc at the expo?
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    If it is warm, running visors are a good idea, keeps sun out of your eyes, and sweat, but still leaves your head (relatively) cool.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    For the first timers -make sure you hydrate more than you would normally - even if you don't feel like it.

Sorry, I don't think this is good advice. You will need to drink more than normal but forcing water down may lead to hyponatraemia, which is more often the cause of serious medical issues and even death on hot days. Read the advice in the Final Instructions document. There's even a special section in there about it.

Apologies for butting in.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Agree for drinking - best advice is to make sure you're well hydrated the day before and morning of the race and then to drink to thirst - which is easy to do at London with the drinks stations every mile from mile 3.

top tip is to use the showers that they put out on course - they're well advertised as you near them - and worth running through - nice fine mist of water which is a full body cool down.

• Would it be advisable to get a visor even if I haven't practiced with one? I'm conscious of the advice to not do/wear anything new on race day (although the warmth and sun will certainly be new!) I've worn a baseball cap a couple of times on shorter training runs but it is a dark colour so I definitely don't want to wear that.

Appreciating all the tips for newbies like me. Weather is a bit of a curveball but we can't control it so trying my best to not worry about it!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Personally I don't like hats or visors....

You could buy a cheap one and start with it and then throw it away if you don't like it? They'll have lots for sale at the Expo?

When they say don't try anything new it's more for trainers and kit - don't want blisters/chafing issues?

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Sunscreen is a good idea - P20 is the only one I know of which doesn't run when you sweat. The fact that you're surrounded by concrete and glass and 40,000 other runners means that when the sun is shining, it will feel even hotter than it actually is. The section through Canary Wharf can be really hard going. For any first-timers, respect the distance and the conditions - if Callum Hawkins can be hit the way he was at the weekend, then we are all at risk. Perhaps consider changing outfit from plan - sorry Harmander you don't have any choice, but the rest of us do - maybe wear lighter colours and less clothing? e.g.- if planning to wear a t-shirt, would a vest keep you cooler? Body Glide or equivalent in sensitive areas which are prone to blisters?  Take care out there everyone.

• I think the key thing if it's hot is to rethink your targets.  You create so much heat when running that you really don't want it to be hotter than you're used to when you race.

If it's hot - just accept you'll have to ease it back a bit. 

A visor is probably a good idea - if you don't get on with it you can always ditch it or tuck it in your waistband.

I'd not hydrate more than normal - I think that is dangerous - but I'd cool the body - especially the thighs - they're the biggest muscles creating the most heat. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    At Paris last year I had a light Nike Running cap - it was great to keep the sun off my bald head; and I could dip it in the cool off bucket at water stations and it cooled me down greatly and didn't feel like it hindered in any way.

I don't know the model, but it's a really lightweight elasticated hat and definitely helped me get through to a PB despite the 20+ temp.