Sub 3

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Super stuff UDS, LMH and OO. Doing exactly what it says on the tin.

UDS -  So close, you will eclipse those seconds and then some in the autumn. I'm posting based on previous campaigns over 3 years ago - motivation to improve tho.

OO - great run in the conditions. 

LMH - You're right of course to feel you can always improve. Super impressive nonetheless. Am I right in saying you don't do much/if any running at MP in training? 

Went for an easy 5 miles yesterday having let foot recover. Everything in order. Found myself overtaking people on the tow path just for the hell of it.. probably should enter some more races. 
  • None at all unless I'm racing a half or 10k SJ.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH - that's a brilliant run, you can't turn your nose up at a second fastest ever marathon, especially with a bathroom break. Really impressive + inspirational.

Nice one OO, unlucky just to miss out on the podium. Katie is always asking after you and was also happy to hear how you got on. Nice streak of performances you're putting together.

UDS - You've made great strides since getting back into running; nice to see someone do well off less mileage a la padams.

SBD - congrats on the sub 3.

4 hours on the turbo for me on Saturday morning staring outside at the beautiful weather; what a plum.. Then we were over by the South Downs Saturday night/Sunday, so had a nice 14 miler first thing in the morning (2nd longest run pre-London) before tackling another section of the SDW. We got back to the car realising we'd walked just over 24 miles so couldn't resist running a couple of miles before driving home.. Fools.

Off to Paris this morning with work, back on Friday afternoon and will head straight to the expo to avoid Saturday. Loving the weather forecast!
  • Wardi - #28123 Tadcaster Harriers royal blue/skyblue/white quarters or royal blue club t-shirt.  3:30 ish, otherwise GFA is 3:45 if the wheels get rusty.
    TR 
    DanA 
    CW #1348 Cambridge & Coleridge (white with blue stripes), blue start, A: <2:39 B: <2:40 <C: 2:45
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers (White with blue/green trim), Flat cap (Think more old man in the pub than baseball) and garish fluorescent swimming trunks. Blue start. A<2.59.57, B<2.59.58, C<2.59.59
    Jooligan #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start, A: 2:59, B: 3:01:xx, C: 3:02:18 (PB)
    Al_P #1431 New Forest Runners (white with green side stripes), green (short) shorts. Targets: A-2:28:xx B- A PB 2:29:2x C-Sub2:30
    Padams - #1580, St Albans Striders blue/yellow), blue start, A:<2:30, B:<2:33, C:<2:37
    BEJ #1425, Wirral AC (white with horizontal green stripes) A:<2:30, B:<2:31.16, C:<2:34.18 adjusted to A: <2:35 (or top 75), B: 2:38 (or top 100), C:<DNF
    SK -
    CD #1202 Tadworth (green with white central band), blue start. A: 2:40-2:45, B: DBS.
    ES #31568 Unattached (red vest), red FGFA start. A: 2:54, B: 2:57, C: 2:59
    LukeStur - #23643 Lifeguard! (yellow top, red shorts, red lifebouy!), green start. A: 2:44:59, B: 2:45-2:49, C: < 2:55:53 (Guinness World Record)
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

UDS - a bit annoying, but a great run and big PB so you've got to be pleased. Another few months with slightly higher mileage and you'll cruise it next time.

LMH - that sounds like an excellent run to me. Running in a small race with no groups, support etc. would cost me a bit of time.

OO - well done too, I'm impressed you can keep knocking out the good times so frequently. It would be interesting to see what you could do if you gave it 6 months or so and focused on one particular race (or maybe it wouldn't make a difference, who knows!).

SBD - well done, sounds like you really focused on the marathon and got the reward.

12M for me on Saturday - 7M steady, then parkrun (offroad course in 17:34 which felt "comfortably hard" and a cooldown with Mrs and mini-Padams). Then 7M easy yesterday to make it 45M for the week.

Pleased to be able to relax a bit this week, although I'm struggling not to eat loads. I'm at my lightest weight since I was about 17 which will hopefully help on Sunday, although I need to make sure I'm properly fuelled (been feeling quite tired/lethargic for a few days).

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Top marathoning over the weekend LMH, OO, USD and SBD, all superb efforts even if some didn't pan out quite right on the day!

ES - Fast first timers and dogs at a parkrun sounds a bit dangerous! Well run and good work staying uninjured...

Wardi - Nice work in the VoY10. Lookin' good  :)

TR - That's a real shame to read about your DNS, I had a lot of respect for your consistant consistency over the last few months. Get the leg better and make sure you get another go in this year.

A mixed weekend for me and I may have a spot of hat eating to do (but hopefully not).... The whole family went down to Poole parkrun with the plan for me to run a quick time and then run back to take over buggy pushing duties from Mrs Al_P. Went out hard from the start, but the pace wasn't spectacular with a 1st mile in 5:23. Three guys went off into the distance and I managed to hang with the following 3. There was no wind of note so the miles were consistant, with the 2nd being 5:22. In the last third we hit traffic (significant with 750 runners!), but thankfully the 3 infront of my cleared the way, so i just had to follow. I knew if I could keep it up I was in PB territory, so pushed to the front of the group with about 500m to go. My legs flagged a bit rounding the lap of the cricket pitch into the finish and the other 3 passed me, but still managed a 5:18 last mile and a sub5 pace final 200m to finish 8th in 16:37. An all of 5sec PB! I really can't do speed.... 1st three runners were all sub 16.

Started to run back to meet up with the family and felt a bit discomfort in my right hamstring, but not particularly serious, once we met up I jogged/walked back to the finish. The hamstring is ok I think, can just feel it if I reach for something while standing. I took a day off on Sunday and have been icing/rolling/stretching on it and the other hammie (which actually feels tighter). Plan is to do a progressive (from walking) treadmill test this afternoon and see how it feels. I already had a precautionary physio slot booked for Tues morning, so can get it reviewed as well.

Got fingers crossed it's just a minor muscle pull which will recover in a couple of days, I've done the fast parkrun a week out from London on multiple occasions (it's a bit of a tradition at Poole) without any problems. My calf was no bother at all and I felt no-thing in my hammie going fast, but I guess sometimes you can't see these things coming!
  • I think that's a great time LMH, impressive stuff.  Good to see others (OO & SBD) also reaping the rewards but a shame for UDS - you'll nail it next time no bother and then you'll have a 'the time I missed by a few seconds' story bring out at every opportunity!

Sounds like everyone is tapering down nicely, although I don't think TR is going to be very happy with CW, from what I've seen elsewhere!  10 for me yesterday, after parkrun Saturday.  Not much planned for this week really.

Watched the first 10k of the mens' CG marathon, it looked a bit warm and Hawkins went off the front a bit early but got brought back.  I thought those having a go at Shelley for running past Hawkins when he was down were a bit harsh, there was clearly a medic with him at that point.

BBC have Boston online and on the red button this afternoon if anyone is interested.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TR -- gutted for you. It was all going so well.

LMH -- I can't recall what vet category you're in, but that sounds like a brilliant time despite the hiccups, well done!

OO -- congrats on a great result and the vet crown also!

Wardi -- do you ever pace any _men_? ;-)

UDS -- excellent, and tragic!

SBD -- raison d'etre of the thread (I'm on a Eurostar right now) -- hooray!

JB  -- I'm on the 07:55 from STP... nearly arrived though!

Al_P -- nice on the PB, scary about the hamstring. Crossed fingers.

I did a brisk 6M w/u on Sat, then an accurate 10K MP trial at 2hr40 pace. Result: legs felt comfortable (calves tend to let me know if it's unrealistic), though my HR was a beat or two higher than previously. Maybe I just need to recalibrate what I think is mara HR. Then I did another 10M heavily overdressed as heat acclimatisation given the forecast for next weekend, the warm weather being too good to miss. So 22M for the morning, more than normal, but then a long run served me well a week out from Brass Monkey.

And another 6M overdressed with hills yesterday -- called it a day after less than I planned as taper madness took over.

Day off today (and Weds) for work trips, otherwise just little taper tempo tune-ups now.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

LMH - that's a top run surely after your trials and tribulations earlier in campaign, congratulations.  As Padams says got to cost a bit of a time being alone too.

OO - very impressive stuff, such consistency.

SBD, solid conversion that!

UDS - that's a great conversion from the half especially off low mileage as well.  My first sub 3 attempt I came up short in NY at 3:03, off average mileage of 34 miles per week for 15 weeks prior.   Then first sub 3 averaged 39 for same block.  Since then I've managed to get under 2:45 a few times, all of those averaged around 50 miles a week.

This year, I think I need more miles as getting older to get close to 245, so I've averaged over 60 miles for first time - but still not convinced I have the sub 2:45 in me, but hoping I will have a little more endurance than previous years.

I am a big believer though in back to back campaigns/consistency being the biggest benefit so UDS I am sure if you repeat what you have done for another marathon in 6 months or so, you'll get under, if you add miles, you will fly under!

Final medium run of 12.5 miles on Saturday with 5 miles of effort, wasn't a great confidence builder for a sub 2:45 tilt, puts me closer to 2:50 based on HR.  I am putting that out of my mind and down to too many beers the day before anyway!  I'll try to run as well as I can on the day, and it should be lovely for beers at the Red lion although times might be slightly compromised if really warm I guess!

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Wardi - #28123 Tadcaster Harriers royal blue/skyblue/white quarters or royal blue club t-shirt.  3:30 ish, otherwise GFA is 3:45 if the wheels get rusty.
    TR 
    DanA 
    CW #1348 Cambridge & Coleridge (white with blue stripes), blue start, A: <2:39 B: <2:40 <C: 2:45
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers (White with blue/green trim), Flat cap (Think more old man in the pub than baseball) and garish fluorescent swimming trunks. Blue start. A<2.59.57, B<2.59.58, C<2.59.59
    Jooligan #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start, A: 2:59, B: 3:01:xx, C: 3:02:18 (PB)
    Al_P #1431 New Forest Runners (white with green side stripes), green (short) shorts. Targets: A-2:28:xx B- A PB 2:29:2x C-Sub2:30
    Padams - #1580, St Albans Striders blue/yellow), blue start, A:<2:30, B:<2:33, C:<2:37
    BEJ #1425, Wirral AC (white with horizontal green stripes) A:<2:30, B:<2:31.16, C:<2:34.18 adjusted to A: <2:35 (or top 75), B: 2:38 (or top 100), C:<DNF
    SK -
    CD #1202 Tadworth (green with white central band), blue start. A: 2:40-2:45, B: DBS.
    ES #31568 Unattached (red vest), red FGFA start. A: 2:54, B: 2:57, C: 2:59
    LukeStur - #23643 Lifeguard! (yellow top, red shorts, red lifebouy!), green start. A: 2:44:59, B: 2:45-2:49, C: < 2:55:53 (Guinness World Record)
    Selbs - #1960 uknetrunners.co.uk blue start.  A: <2:45, B:<last year C:<2:50

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It's been lovely reading the race reports - a great weekend of results for the thread!
  • I hope it's nothing Al.

Thanks Charlie. FV50.

I hear you on the keeping your weight down in the taper Padams but only another day or two and then it will be time to top up the carbs.

On the turbo on Saturday Joe? Sounds like a lovely day yesterday.

I should be happier with it I know CD. Agree totally, no way should Shelley have stopped.

Legs surprisingly good this morning which supports my 'couldn't get out of third gear' feeling about yesterday. Funny old game isn't it?
  • Jools - I think it's perceived wisdom within the team that we still hold the mixed (thanks to Rach), indoor (thanks indirectly to Mike Ashley) and consequently the mixed indoor records.

I will be down on the FGFA start (sans TR) and think I have a shot at 2:59.  I would be happy to classify my disc issues as historic now so had been putting a decent shift in and was on track, then a month out injured, been back at it 2 weeks.  Telemetry is borderline but still improving.

As you were.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - that sucks with the DNS. Maybe see you at Abo then!

Good racing ES.

LMH - second fastest marathon from where you where not too long ago is an impressive turn around even without the GI issues. Well done!!

OO - another quality run. Well done also!

Wardi - pacing a bunch of girls - was the smoking jacket in use? Nicely done.

UDS - so close! Well done for toughing it out and not sulking and sacking it off when you hit a problem. I'm sure you'll go sub-3 just by doing the same again, but the extra mileage is less about a particular time and more about getting more from yourself. I'd rather run 2:58 off of big mileage knowing that was my limit, than run 2:59:59 off of lower mileage. I guess a lot of it comes down to how you're mentally wired. I need to know where my limits are.

Congrats on the sub-3 SBD.

You're sounding in a good place Padams.

Al_P - a pb is a pb so well done. Fingers crossed for the hammy!

CRAB - what were your disc issues? I had a couple of bulging ones a few years back which was really frustrating!

8m on Saturday @ 6:10 (steady for the first 3, closer to cMP for the last 5) brought up 52m for the week off of 4 days (target was 50-55), so that's week 1/23 done for Berlin. Hopefully around 80 this week off of 6.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Meant to ask LMH - do you pop an immodium as many do/I have learnt off this thread before the start/after your hopefully last pre race comfort break?  I've often had training GI issues in training, but come race day, that seems to do the trick for me.

Hope you're OK Al_P and nice PB.

CW - you're used to the mega mileage so I presume you will be fine and the taper will freshen you up for another sub 240.  For me, I love only doing 12-13 a week out, as it feels so short after the long runs through the winter!

• Selbs - I had problems but 'stumbled' on 100% rye bread in Berlin in 2015 and had that with honey for pre race breakfast, didn't even have to stop once, which amazed me. I have eaten rye bread on race days ever since and it's been great

AL - Good effort at Poole,..thats still pretty quick you know! My brother was watching, the winner was that kid from Wimborne AC, him and his sister have a great future (she's already won the national xc for her age group)

Thanks for updating the list, I think I will end up with 50+ folk to check! Agree regarding Shelley - I bet ever since the London marathon where that guy stopped to help the other runner, the 'general public' (i.e. non runners) expect someone to stop for him. Pretty sure Callum wouldn't have expected him to stop, and doubt it would have been any different the other way round. Out on a deserted race, yes perhaps it would have been different.

I was at the national road relays on Saturday..that long leg doesn't get any easier, bit of a 'meh' 29.27 for the 5.3 miles..wanted nearer 29. Cock up with a mass start that took place too early - many angry runners and team managers!! (lots of stuff on facebook)..

• From the VLM website:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Changes to times (starting at sub 3 for 18-39), with a cap on entries (3000 men, 3000 women) with those closest to their GFA time excluded if the cap is exceeded, like Boston qualifying).  Changes to deferring GFA as well.  Nothing on any changes to championship entries though.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Boston Marathon currently on the BBC red button and the BBC website for any of you interested.

15m for me at lunchtime, which counts as my long run for this week. Nice to be able to wear t-shirt and shorts.
  • Another (not insignificant) change to GFA, from the FAQ:

Q. Do you work out Good for Age times based on the age I was when I ran the qualifying time or on the age I will be on Race Day?
    A. The age you ran the time. For example, a female runner who achieves a marathon time of 3:45:10 as a 39-year-old but on Race Day is 40 does not qualify for the 40-44 age group.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Darn it.. I had an inkling that the soft 3:15 GFA for me would go for 2019. My own fault - should have run faster :) Might as well enter Manchester again then. I'll get back there one day (London)... 

I'll be running Abo in the autumn having entered this morning so an unheard of 2 marathons in a year, steady on now. Hopefully your consistency theory selbs bares fruit for me too.  
  • I'm gutted for P but their game their rules I guess. I think I might be falling a bit out of love with London.

selbs - I used Imodium pre-race for the first time on Sunday:-(

Simon - I'm wheat intolerant so am on gf bread anyway. 
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    LMH - you're very hard on yourself.  It was a great time even if you were a bit disappointed.  Mind you, I guess most of us are rarely 100% happy with a run.

UDS - super effort.  No need to worry about the 5 seconds, as indeed you're not.

Anyone watching Boston?  It's comedy bad weather.  Looks like most of my training runs this winter in fact.

Not sure if I'm reading the GFA times properly.  Is a faster time a better chance than a slower time? Is that how they do it when there's too many qualifiers in an category. Suppose I've got a bit more latitude as a V45 this year only needing 3.10.  Better get myself back on champs and take all the doubt away  :)

Understand the sentiment in trying to get 3000 each of men & women, but if, say, 6k men applied and 3k women, would it be fair to cut 50% of the men and none of the women?  Rather than fill the 6000 spaces in the same proportion as those who applied (ie, 4000 & 2000)?
  • Comedy is the right word Dan.  I don't think I've ever seen the lead group in rain jackets before.

My reading of the GFA limit is that they'll reduce the qualifying times across all the mens groups by the same percentage until they're left with only 3000 entries, and then do the same for the women. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Stu - good run that regardless of the 5 secs. As others said, keep at it and you'l sub 3.

LMH - another consecutive sub3 and remember that's equivalent to a 2.41 for an m50.

OO - excellent run. Great time too. We'l done on a tough day.

AL- get your hammy massaged asap.

TT  - I used to enter abo to make me run through the summer and then ran strongly at my 1/2 IM. I regret not doing it one yr as my running was strong. 

I have entered Yeovil early June, and equate that with the new had rules if I can run a 3.10 then a m18-39 needs a 255 to be equivalent, or a 3.05 would need a 2.50. The tighter times so probably sort the 6000 places anyway.

I did the same 6m as Friday today and whilst it' still 9mm it was with a tight hammy and no danger of walking. Hopefully I'm back to it in a couple of weeks and all gfa roads lead to Yeovil.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Great run UDS and pretty sure you will nail it next time, the question is by how much.  For info Jan 2017 I ran 3:00:13 my fastest marathon for 10 years and 10 weeks later ran 2.50.  But nothings guaranteed but the more miles you do the greater your chances. 
    Well done SBD - you did exactly what it says on the thread box.
    Padams - Next road marathon is Berlin in September, so will have a 9 week training block off the back of a hard but slow mountain marathon. One thing I need to do is to run at a more even pace as first 5 miles y'day > 30 minutes and a positive split of 7 minutes. 
    Cheers Joe - I hope Katie back running?  And I will say again flexiseq might be the miracle gel she needs if still injured. 
    LMH - I am with you; however well we run, we always reflect and think we could have done better.  But I still think you run very well.
    Thanks for the thanks.
    Looking forward now to the build-up of the London marathon buzz. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    CW- you have long run dysmorphia !
  • CD - I don't think they will use a % across all age ranges... 

Q. Do I need to enter the ballot if I have a Good for Age qualification time?
    A. Yes, we advise you to enter the ballot as a Good for Age qualification time does not guarantee you a place. If more than 3,000 runners of your gender are quicker than you, unfortunately you will not get a Good for Age Place.

• TT - big prolapse of L5/S1. Took 3 years to sort itself. Lucky to be patient enough not to plump for surgery...but it was close in the end. Grim. Wouldn't wish it on Gobi...although then again... 

My reading of GFA was if there are more than 3000 then you take a minute off all age group Q times and repeat until you get to <3000 per gender...but several people have considerably larger brains than me so I probably wouldn't go with my understanding. I'd imagine there's some statistical analysis of previous years before they set the bar so comfortably under (5mins?) and I'd guess you'd been. 

As you were. 
  • I saw that SJ but it must be an error - doing that would just eliminate the older age groups.

Doesn't sound good CRAB but hopefully in the past.