Can I run without losing weight?

Hi everyone. I am kinda slim person, last summer my weight was 74 kg (which sounds ok) and I am 175 cm height. I've started running, because I kinda had a belly which I didn't like, I wanted to lose belly fat. So I was running for 2 months, 3-4 times per week. And then... after 2 months... my weight was 68.5 kg.

I don't want to lose so much weight, I only need to rid some belly fat. So I need your advice. How can I do this efficiently? My plan now is to drink protein all the time during the running days. Will that help? Won't I lose too much weight, but get rid of belly fat at the same time, if I will be drinking a nice amount of protein?

Or any other strategies? Please.

Comments

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    I've managed it successfully for years. Net gain of almost 20kg in the past 10 years.  :(
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Drinking protein seems excessive. I would recommend beer, chocolate and crisps, works very well (too well) for me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You can't spot reduce fat.   If you have belly fat then lose weight and you will get rid of the belly fat.  Introduce some strength work and eat healthily and you could slowly put on a little muscle if that's what you want.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I wish, I do 7-8 sessions a week and can't shift the excess weight.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I can offer you my excess weight if that helps?
  • As a general rule for a healthy diet your calorie intake should consist of 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. How much calories depends on a few factors (age, sex, height, weight, goal and activity level). All depends on what your goal is but as always if calorie intake is less than expenditure you will lose weight
  • Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% everything else including sleep and exercise.
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    i find i lose weight on my runs over an hour.  My recommendation would be to eat more, surely that's not a problem right?  I dream about being able to eat more
  • HercHerc ✭✭
    You do not understand something. I am slim and my bones are visible, but only belly is out. Like those African kinds, with their bloated bellies
  • ianbianb ✭✭
    It doesn't matter. You can't spot reduce fat, as mentioned above.

If you don't want to lose fat elsewhere, but only want to lose it on the belly, it won't happen.

However, you can work on your core, to change your posture, help muscles in the core, which will help how you hold yourself. You can also lose weight/fat, and the chances are it will come off other places like the belly, if the other places are pretty lacking in fat.

Otherwise, you've got to lose weight all over (or you could lose fat, and put on muscle, overall not losing weight). Tbh at your weight/height, you could probably lose another half a stone and still be ok, and probably not be visibly different in the arms etc.

Sometimes people can always appear fat in the belly when they are more bloated from eating some foods, especially lots of bread. That may or may not be applicable, but you could play with your diet, just to see if it affects you visually.
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Sure you can.  Just eat as many calories as you burn and you won’t lose any weight.
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Actually the best cure for skinny fat people slim people with a belly) is the lift heavey weights.  Running without eating enough may turn you from skinny fat to just skinny but that’s not a great look either.  My advice would be google StrongLifts 5x5 and follow the advice there.  Goodbye belly fat hello strong lean body.
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    lol, 2308, if anything ab exercises will make your stomach appear bigger as you will grow larger abs.  You can’t spot reduce fat in a particular area by exercising that area.  Abs are Made in the kitchen, not the gym.