Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Dachs. Hope you get some sleep, but doubt many sleep well before a marathon anyway! Also hope your cold is pre race hypochondria or on the way out anyway. Interesting re the approach on gels. Old skool :smile: Any reason specifically?
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    True sg - we do talk a terrific amount of nonsense here and I can imagine not correctly recording the exact miles for the yr end review is a worry for some.  
    but I guess others probably think it doesn't matter what is recorded on the app, it's what's in the legs that really matters.  ;)

good luck Dachs, is this the big attempt for 2018?

ric . Hope the trio of niggles clear quickly
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The gels thing is because I always end up feeling like absolute crap post marathon and wondering if this is the reason. There are enough people whose views I respect who don't do gels for me to want to give it a go. No-one did gels in the 70s and in those days every single man on the street ran sub 2:10 without breaking sweat. However, I will admit to having brought two emergency gels.

Dean, Yes, this is my 2018 stab at being a good marathoner.

Had an 'elite' reception, race briefing and buffet which was nice. The 10k here looks full of quality. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, just water and some sort of Lucozadey type stuff at the stations then?

The time I covered full marathon distance with Marlow, or more accurately, one other geezer, I remember feeling like a shell after, and that was just jogging and chatting. That was a hot day though, fuelling with water and the odd fizzy drink!

The 20 the other week with Datchet was just a water job. Chap I ran with took some sort of caffeine hits, which seemed to take him ages to get down, and then gave him a monster surge of energy!

However, clearly a 20miler with 75% at convo pace is a fair bit different to a racing snake like you at full capacity for that extra distance on top.

Will report back for a good read.

ps Bus, Strava is like an extreme version of club sessions. You know, those club sessions you know you're pushing a bit too hard. Strava is trying to avoid doing that every single day!

• Best of luck for the marathon tomorrow Dachs, look forward to hearing how you get on. Hope the non-gel regime works out for you!

SG, just forget that extra mile ;) I can see you now losing sleep over it!

Hope the niggles disappear soon Ric.

Glad to hear you're feeling better now Bus - funny how these things can just (for the most part) clear up overnight! I'm still managing some lingering congestion from my last bout of cold, can't wait for it to go.

SC, a bit late to wish you luck for the relays, but I hope they went well. Look forward to the report!

Not a lot going on for me this week, just ticking over miles with no quality sessions - combinations of not really feeling like it, and also the foot issue flaring up again. A bit of an ache, with a sore spot, on my arch below the big metatarsal and a little ache on the outside edge.
    Think it's something to do with uphill running as that's all that has changed this week. Easy run today on the flat, and no issues, but decided to have a foam rolling session in the hope there's some tightness somewhere that'll disappear and sort it. Just gotta see how it is in the morning.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

:) I will Matt!

Hope the foot eases!

Lot of Dashers joining Dachs tomorrow, ranging massively in build up let's say!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support guys. I'm going away for a couple of days which by the time I return, will be three days without running.
    Four days back to back of 10 miles off road running simply reached parts that hadn't been tested for a while.

Good luck with the marathon Dachs. 
    I did a marathon once on just water and hit the wall good and hard. Another occasion I took on the gel stuff and only drifted into the decline gradually.

However on one training run, I didn't grab anything until I felt I needed it. Bought something called Boost which seemed refreshing enough. Seems it must have been something else too as ten minutes later I was blasting along. The final five miles were good fun.

Matt, hopes the foot clears up. I've had something similar now for weeks. Strange that the sore spot seems to move. Maybe I've got a fragment of something floating about in there.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Dachs!
  • Hope the heat is ok today, after the drama with Hawkins overnight. Dachs will have a good one I'm sure. SG- agree that the yearly total is the most pointless Strava thing, means nowt. 

Cheers MH, not a brilliant run yesterday sadly. The weather was great though, sunny and quite warm. The course is 5.3 miles for the long leg, opted for the Saucony's like at the 5k. Right from the off and the dog leg didn't feel amazing at the start but felt a little better after the initial hill had been conquered! Then past the jubilee stone where the short leg turns down the hill and the horrible part to halfway which felt really laboured. Anyway started back and felt a little better and back to the stone and down the hill, past the lake, up the short hill and down to the finish hill.

Checked the watch and was already nearly at 29 mins nearing the bottom of the hill, so knew time wouldn't be great. Ended up with 29.27, about 30 secs down on what I wanted. I think we were in the 30's as a team. 

It was ridiculous at us at the end as the last 2 legs were forced to do a mass start at 4pm, when only the first 4 teams had finished leg 11. Lots of shouting and finger pointing. Will be some fall out from this. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Looked at the results, SC, and didn't think your run was too bad!

And well done Dachs! Look forward to the report, especially the last half hour!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Cheers Ale - I suppose amongst the fellow vets it was OK..PhilP had an absolute stormer for Kent to get under 29, I suppose it's all the marathon/tempo stuff paying off. He's in sub 2.30 shape for next week, just hope the weather isn't too hot.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No doubt you are all waiting for a report of some kind.  So, here it is.

Brighton Marathon.  My fifth marathon, and time to hopefully get somewhere near what I should be capable of on paper.  What I should be capable of on paper is sub 2:30.  Failing that, my PB going into the race was 2:36:27, dating from London two years ago.  What is apparent is that my approach so far had not been working.  Each of my marathons I had gone in with conservative aims, started sensibly and then faded anyway.  So this was going to be different – treat it like a race, go out bravely and just see where that takes me.  If I’m going to fade anyway, it might as well be off a fast pace than a slow one.

The other approach that was due a revision was fuelling.  Post-marathon sickness has been a real issue for me, and I wondered if this was due to gels.  Usually I take four, but inspired by TipTop who runs 2:27 with only water, and based on feeling great on long runs containing a good element of marathon pace without gels, I decided to do without.  However, I didn’t quite have the courage of my convictions, so brought two gels along as emergency backup.  Then I started worrying the evening before, convinced myself it was an error, and backed out a bit, and decided that I’d use the two gels I had.

I have managed to sneak into the Category A elite group, due to my sub 70 half.  This means I get a free entry, Saturday night’s accommodation, expenses paid and a buffet dinner and race briefing the night before.  Unfortunately, in anticipation of my usual post-marathon sickness, I need to stay the night after the race as well, and the elite hotel is full the Sunday night, and I can’t be doing with lugging bags around between hotels after the race, so I have just booked my own accommodation.  I also don’t ask for expenses, because, to be honest, I don’t feel like I’m anywhere near good enough to be claiming travel expenses for running a race.  Probably sounds a bit odd, but there you go.

One interrupted sleep later, and morning comes far too soon.  It’s onto the elite shuttle up to the start.  We get a tent with tea, coffee and yoga mats, which is great.  I mean, I don’t use any of them, but it’s nice to know they are there, cos you never know when you might want to sip a hot beverage whilst in the downwards dog position.  Weather is near perfect.  Overcast and still.  With so much of the race on the seafront, a bit of wind could kill times, but there will be no such excuses today.

Miles 1-5:  It’s time to start.  Let’s do this shit!  Nervous before, but now I just want to get on with it.  This uncharacteristic enthusiasm leads to a first mile in the low 5:20s.  Hmm.  That’s 2:22 pace.  Not entirely advisable, but it is a slight downhill, so let’s go with it.  Immediately, two groups form, and I’m in the second.  Pace calms down after the initial excitement, and I settle into a rhythm of miles in the 5:30s. My group has turned into a group of four or five, containing a THH, a red/yellow vest I don’t recognise (turns out to be Epsom), a Midlander I was chatting to at the dinner the night before, and someone else, and we’re just ticking the miles off comfortably.

Watch splits - 5:21 (1), 5:39 (2), 5:33 (3), 5:34 (4), 5:30 (5) (please take these watch splits with a pinch of salt as I am conscious that my watch was hitting the miles before the markers came up, but the 5-mile marker came up in 28:0x)
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Miles 5-10: Epsom and THH push ahead a bit on the long drag out of the city, so the Midlands guy and I share duties on leading into the slight breeze, with the third guy always sitting behind and letting us do the work.  OK, so it’s like that is it?  Through 10K in pretty much 35 dead, and things are going just swimmingly.  Past ultra posh Roedean school at around 8 miles, and we catch up to Epsom and THH again and reform a group of five.  Someone has dropped off the lead group and looks to already be struggling, and we pass him and forge on.  Take my first gel.  Towards the turnaround, and I can see the leader, Dan Nash, has built up a sizeable lead over the chasing group, the rest of which all remains together.  Round the turnaround, and by 9.5 miles all of the uphills in the race are done and dusted, which provides a mental boost.  10 miles is up in around 56:15.

Splits - 5:47 (6), 5:40 (7), 5:30 (8), 5:37 (9), 5:35 (10)

Now Epsom starts to forge ahead, the lurker has disappeared off the back, and we’re down to a good group of three of THH, bloke from Midlands and me.  This group now starts to work well together, sharing the load for most of the mid section of the race.  It’s back through central Brighton, and the fantastic support inevitably results in a lift of pace.  Hitting halfway in 1:13:32 gives me a slight reality check.  2:27?  Really??  But what can you do when it feels good.  Hey, maybe TipTop is tracking and is momentarily concerned about his 2:27 club record? Always good to keep him on his toes.  We now start the looooooong drag into Hove, which looks much shorter on the map than it feels in real life, but we hit the 15 mile point eventually in just over 1:24.

Splits - 5:34 (11), 5:34 (12), 5:32 (13), 5:32 (14), 5:43 (15)

After 15 miles is the first inkling that this is feeling hard.  We’ve still got a good group going though, and behind is no man’s land, so now I’m committed.  I see the runner up the road ahead peel off and go into a portaloo, so we take a place whilst he does his ablutions.  Another turnaround in Hove, and bloke from Midlands has fallen off the pace a bit and it’s just me and THH.  We pass famed multi-marathoner Adam Holland, who has dropped from the lead group.  But as we get to 17 miles, I can feel my pace slipping.  At 18 miles, I briefly struggle to get my other gel out of my pocket without also dislodging my hotel room key, and the resulting slowdown puts me a few metres behind THH.  He looks round, concerned, and tries to encourage me to get back up with him, which I do.  After 18 miles, we start heading westwards again, and with the slight wind at my back, this means a bit of a rally.  But soon, it starts to feel hard again.  I’m slipping behind THH again.  He keeps looking back, and clearly wants me to stick with him, he’s calling encouragement to me.  Much as I appreciate this, I’m struggling to live with this pace now and slipping further and further behind.  20 miles comes up in 1:53 dead.  Hey, all I need now is a fraction quicker than 6-minute miles to break 2:30.  Easy, right?

Splits - 5:43 (16), 5:44 (17), 5:50 (18), 5:36 (19), 5:41 (20)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Shit a brick this is hard now!  It’s a lonely section out towards the power station, and speedbumps are decidedly unwelcome.  I’m still hanging off THH by 20-30 metres.  Local serial race winner James B is up ahead, and pushing past him raises me a position in the V40 stakes.  Another turnaround is ahead, and at this point I can see I’m still within a mile of the race leader coming back in the other direction.  But by Christ this is hard now.  Force myself through the next couple of miles, but I know this is going south fast.  As I approach mile 23, I’m in no mans land.  My mind drifts and before I know it I’m walking.  No, I’ve never walked in a marathon!  Start jogging again and try to force the pace, but I can feel I’m cooked.  It’s a case of up to pace for a couple of hundred metres, followed by some jogging.  I can still rescue 2:30 if I can summon some pace from somewhere, but it just isn’t there.  Find myself walking again.  No, no, no!  Someone comes past who I’ve never seen before. Try running again, but the bursts of proper pace are getting shorter and the periods of jogging are getting longer.  And I’m walking again!  The maths in my head is all over the place.  Is sub 2:31 still on?  Sub 2:32?  I can’t work it out. The Midlander comes past too now.  800m to go now, and I have to walk AGAIN.  Surely I can run it in from here?  Well, running is a generous term, but yes, in a sense I can, and I finally stumble across the line in 2:32:47, in 13th place.

Splits - 5:46 (21), 5:59 (22), 6:19 (23), 6:22 (24), 6:46 (25), 6:52 (26), and some other stuff.

From there, it’s a long time sitting in the elite tent trying to gather some energy to return to the hotel room.  When I finally manage it, I spend much of the afternoon throwing up (probably not the gels then), before recovering at around 6pm and finally venturing out to find some food.

So, all in all, I went out too fast and blew up in classic marathon style.  But I don’t regret it.  The whole idea was to stop fearing the distance, and just attack it and see where my limits lie.  Well, now I know.  In all probability, a more even approach might have got me under 2:31, and maybe even under 2:30.  But maybe it wouldn’t.  Maybe I would’ve flaked out anyway.  We will never know.  But I’m glad that I had a go at it.  2:30 will come I think, but will probably need a bit more circumspection. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Great report Dachs, and a fantastically brave and positive attempt! Still a brilliant time and a big PB despite the crash and burn in the final few miles (a relative term - any sub 3 runner would still be happy with those!). You certainly had a better last two miles than Callum Hawkins!!!

It definitely shows a huge wadge of character and the last three mile splits show there's no reason why you can't take off the few minutes you want next time out (but you really don't want to be thinking about the next one just now I guess!).
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Superb report and pb dachs
    tough last few miles but as bus says there is reason to be optimistic about even better next time out.  Looking back do you think it was the early fast few miles or the fewer gels refuelling that bit you?  But proper racing from you, brilliant work!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work dachs. Very brave, and i wonder how many do storm the end of marathons, so good for you that you put in so hard earlier.

Feel a bit gutted you didn't eat into those freebies and expenses better though!
  • Great report there Dachs - I'll admit, I did track you on the app! 
    Your tactic of going out brave certainly paid off, and like the others have said, you've certainly got the ability to take off those few minutes emplaced in the last few miles. I'm sure yoully have it down to a tee soon!
    I was tracking a number of familiar names within the elite field, and there was a marked downturn for the majority in the last 5 km - looked to be a good quality field at the sharp end!
  • Brilliant stuff mate - although I did wince at the first 5k split..just need to prepare well again, pick a foreign flat marathon and pace it a little better and I'm sure the sub 2.30 will be yours!

Me - just scattered cyclists along the canal again, 20 x 35 secs off 20 secs. Good blast.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Superb result there Dachs and a top quality report to match. Shows just the stratosphere you operate in nowadays that being comfortably in the top 0.1% and close to a 2'30 marathon still leaves you less than 100% happy. Just think you ran over 8 consecutive parkruns at sub 18 pace and it puts it into context (for me at least!). Very noble of you not to take advantage of all the freebies and claim expenses but I would definitely have taken them if I were you. The event is run by a commercial company and its success is in part dependent on attracting top notch runners like you. If they consider you elite (and a sub 70 half is pretty damn elite to most people) then why not consider yourself in that category?

As for me still slowly trying to get fit. I can run relatively pain free for about 10k if I keep the k pace to 4'30 or more. Longer or faster still not good. Tried a new parkrun course, Rickmansworth, as a club colleague was going there. Its now an all tarmac course as well as flat. Did 19'17 when pre-injury I would have expected low 18's there so shows I'm way off where I was (the other WV guy did 17'59 and is in great form, but usually around my level). Worse was my calf was pretty painful for the rest of the day so its not fully right yet; at least it felt ok again by Sunday.      
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Dachs - great report, and yep, I was watching and noting your splits. I was rooting for you to pull it off and break it (though we know it'll most likely be smashed this weekend anyway), but still a very gutsy run even if it didn't quite play out for you. It'd be interesting to see if you still had the sickness if you went with absolutely no gels - maybe one for the next time/just carry one for pure emergency purposes?
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great effort Dachs and congrats on the PB. I've no doubt you could go well under 2.30 but everything has to click on the day. The cold you had during the week could well have had an effect on you too. Looked to be pretty sharp with V40s at the front end too. I know Rob Affleck who ran 2.29 as he races around my way. Was it first 5 for an England vest? 

Hope you can get sorted Pete. Seems to have been a fair while now with your calf trouble. 

SC, well run at the relays. Sounded a bit of a farce with the mass start but Alex Yee put in some performance. Was it 24 mins for 5.3 miles? 

Decided I'm just running the first half of London this week. Only 1 long run in the last 2 months and even though I'm pretty sure I could run round with a cigar on its not my cup of tea. I'm hoping to run the first half around 1.15 and then bail out. Might not be fit enough to do that but we'll see. 

Get this, I've just come back off a run with another 2 fellas. Both are running a marathon this Sunday with PB's of around 3.15 and 2.55 although the 2.55 fella is now 55. Until I turned up their plan was to run 10 miles and after I told them if I was tapering I'd do no more than 6 miles they decided on 8. 

After a couple of miles I notice we're running sub 7s but despite many mentions of me about the pace they cracked on to the 4 mile point. For the lad with the 3.15 pb that's 4 miles out at quicker than MP. Told the pair of them they were crackers and said ill lead us back which lasted for about 50 yards before they both disappeared at about 6.30 pace and left me behind. 

The 2.55 fella is talking himself out of going for a sub 3 and the 3.15 lad is hoping for a small pb. Imagine doing 8@ faster than MP a few days before your race. Madness. :-D
  • Great run and great report there Dachs. Nice to get a PB that is comfortably inside the magic 6-minute pace which was always the old-school mark for a decent runner.
  • ML84 said:
    Decided I'm just running the first half of London this week. Only 1 long run in the last 2 months and even though I'm pretty sure I could run round with a cigar on its not my cup of tea. I'm hoping to run the first half around 1.15 and then bail out. Might not be fit enough to do that but we'll see. 
    I did that a few years ago and it was easy to drop out just after Tower Bridge and catch a free tube back to Westminster close to the finish but it was almost impossible to get into the finish area to pick up luggage so it may be worth seeing if you can leave it with friends etc.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Phil. I'm glad I'm not down for properly doing the whole thing and it being a big PB attempt as I have absolutely no idea of where I'm going and how I'm getting there. Well, I know I've to pick up my number and my train gets into Euston about midday. (I was absolutely gutted when I realised Man Utd were in the Saturday FA cup tie so my journey from mAnchester Piccadilly should be a loud trip down!) 

No idea how to get to the Expo, how to get to my hotel near Waterloo, no idea how I'm getting to the start and no idea how ill get my bag afterwards. Haha. 
    Im heading down on my own so it'll be a good couple of days on the beer if nothing else. 

At least if I can negotiate it all this time around then I should be ok for next year. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Congratulations from me as well Dachs. I think it was well the go at a more aggressive approach.

I've known a few runners who seemed to be able to run a marathon at a pace much the same as they could manage for only half the distance. Good information gathered all the same. 
    Whether or not you feel like using it for another marathon campaign is another matter.

Pete, the calf issue can't be too far away from being resolved if you can still manage a parkrun on it.
    Out of curiosity, what did you and all the others with the parkrun obsession do before there was parkruns? I mean, all that energy dedicated year in year out to a single predictable format/routine, must have had an outlet before somewhere. 

I've had a few days off running to allow the accumulated aches to bugger off. Nearly there.

Finally, ML, you've just illustrated why the London Marathon is for the type of runner who likes to keep things simple like me, a load of bloody hassle.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Matt; if you are sure about only running till half way at London I wouldn't even bother going to the finish to collect a bag which will be a real hassle as Phil says. Its going to be plenty warm enough so I'd just go from your base (by train Waterloo East to  Greenwich or Blackheath) ready to run. After you've done 13 miles when you peel off at Tower Bridge you can then just walk along the South Bank 1/2 mile to London Bridge from where it is 5 mins by tube (Jubilee Line) or Overground (Waterloo East) back to your base again. Getting to the Expo I'd go by tube (Northern Line, remember to take City Branch of this) to Bank from where you can get DLR straight to Custom House Excel. 

Rick; hope so re calf issues, test will hopefully come in Fleet Half a week on Sunday. If I make it to the start it will be my first proper race since Fleet 10k back in Oct last year. Certainly wouldn't expect much in terms of the result; getting round ok is first priority. Re parkrun I think we've had this chat before; if it was the same one each week I would 100% agree with you. By rotating round about 20 of them and adding in the odd new one (still keeping all to a max of around 30 mins drive) I reckon you get more variety than the average runner pottering around their locality. Hard to recall pre pr days now; probably a lie in then a run to try and see off a hangover  :)

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

ML84 - If you need any drinking companions the training group are going again, i will be around until about 6pm usually! - just give me a DM on Messenger or twitter.

Yes Alex Yee got under 25, I think there's only a few that have done it. I did see your mob there, had a quick scan to see if you were there or not.

• Dachs - really enjoyed the report and congrats on the great time. Was Ollie Garrod the guy in the Epsom vest? I was tracking him on the day and he seemed to have a really consistent day, slowly moving his way through the field to 5th. Echo the thoughts of others, the sub 2:30 is just around the corner. 

Really looking forward to London now, mainly because I'm not going for a PB tilt and therefore will be enjoying the crowds and the sun.. Hopefully see a few of you out there. 
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    RicF said:

Out of curiosity, what did you and all the others with the parkrun obsession do before there was parkruns? I mean, all that energy dedicated year in year out to a single predictable format/routine, must have had an outlet before somewhere. 

Thought you were describing marriage for a sec then :).       And like parkrun, before there was marriage there was lots of lager.  Lots!