My Last Run

Comments

• I tried to reply on here and it went wrong!

Blooming brilliant pb Cal! 

So many of you running marathons, so impressive!

Sorry I haven't posted much, it's half term so monsters are keeping me busy.

I did parkrun on Saturday and stick to 8:05 average as I had a half the next day.

Sunday was Warwick Half- the one that had been cancelled in March. I'd ran it before in 2016 and despite it being hilly (615 elevation), I had managed a pb. I have to say that it was the most comfortable I've ever felt in a half! I was constantly holding back my pace as I was scared of burning out. 

I finished in 1:56:06 which is nice new pb. My last mile was 8:04 pace and the .12 on the end was 7:50 pace. I had so much left in the tank! 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's wonderful, Andrea, well done! So are you tempted by the prospect of a marathon? :lol:
  • I don't know Cal. I love the 5k distance. although as you know I can't get near my form of last year at the moment. It was around the this time last year I got my pb and I'd hoped at the time that I might be near sub 22 by now! I seem to have improved my speed over long distance and lost speed over the shorter distance.

Any training tips for a faster 5k would be greatly appreciated ?
  • HazelNut. Have you ever tried running diagonals?
    Look them up. I have found them a great way to keep the legs sharp. So much in running is getting them legs to turn over smoothly. You can do them barefoot if your stable enough and you can find some dry grass or sand....
    Today I ran 7.4 miles in just over under an hour. Mostly at endurance pace with 16 minutes at tempo. Tomorrow I will do less, slower.
    My hamstring needs to be iced and I have to hit the books to work out a strategy for doing some proper stamina work without irritating it. Its been a time and I think my last 5k made me over confident. My VO2 is still there but my legs are not quiet keeping up yet.
    Oh the eternal problem...

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello. Belated congratulations Cal on Manchester marathon pb - a result borne of tenacity and endurance. Incidentally the pet names for my testicles...
    18.5 road miles over two runs and a treadmill 5k (20:40 upping speed as we go along - I can't start fast so have to make time at the end). The weather keeps defaulting back to cold wet and miserable.
    I'm teaching myself to jump because apparently I can't. Was in Durham the other day and saw a cormorant. Well, saw a big bird by the river and plucked the word cormorant out of the air which somehow managed to be right.
    Keep it together for London Ness and snewma. Expected to be significantly warmer which might be a shock to the system. What is your planned marathon pace snewma?
     I feel vaguely unwell and think the alien film is Mars Attacks!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    I could have lived without that image of your plums JT ?
    Andrea- good to see you! And brilliant PB
    Cal, get better soon
    Stephen, nice running and it was Gloria Gaynor
    Hazel, you seem to be managing the taper better than me ?
    Today’s run was a good one though- 5 ish miles with the middle 5k at tempo and no niggles- the speed work seemed to help in fact
  • Had to get out early before hubby went to work. 1 mile slow 3x 1km repeats. Aim is to get them all below 7:30 pace. Ended up with 7:32, 7:35, 7:37. I then jogged home. I don't usually do speed work before parkrun, but as it's rained solidly for two weeks, my local parkrun is starting to resemble a swimming pool!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    I prefer my Marathons chocolate enrobed with nuts in caramel.   ;)

When those final miles go slipping by, you taper types will forget those aches & niggles ever existed.  Nessie, your symptoms seem quite normal at this stage but you've trained tough and should reap the rewards.

Good sub-2, Andrea.  Steady as you go, Stephen.  Same prescription for Cal.

MLR: 4 miles at 0645 round the coastal park and lakes.  Steady rain and some waterlogging in places.
  • Nice running all - taperers, streakers and testicle namers.

Still on hols and seems I am having one of those rest weeks mid-training plan.

Yesterday morning was beautiful early doors by the estuary. 3.5 miles steady/sleepy accompanied with ace birdsong. Seen + heard were Cetti's Warbler, Willow Warbler,  Chiffchaff,  Curlew, Redshank and a lush pair of Bullfinch. 

Not hitting London now so find myself in a Premier Inn in Mrs Will's home town of Merthyr Tydfil. Parkrun here tomorrow should be interesting :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Today ran 4.5 miles averaging 7.03 min/mi. Half done at tempo pace with the rest pushing the threshold.

Back now icing the grumbling hamstring. Emmylou Harris is playing in the back ground and the fluffy white dog across the way has been at the yellow window all day.

http://youtu.be/i7V7OMw7tg8

Not a cloud in the sky and I think Johnny Marr may have heard this some how some where....

Have fun peeps

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Nessie73 said:
    I could have lived without that image of your plums JT
    Just to clarify I didn't send Ness a picture of endurance and tenacity. Have since spent far too much time thinking up junk names. Corbiere and Dame Barbara Hepworth are my favourites. I am a child.

Anyway, 19.86miles today in 2hrs31. Felt rough at the start and tired at the end but glad I persevered. Went into the country roads west of the city and turns out there's the Vale of York 10 tomorrow morning. More or less ran a reverse of the course. Signs are up closing the roads so fairly big event. Nice day. There was even a slight heat haze on an open bit of road.
  • JT thats rather impressive if you were feeling as rough as you said. What time are you looking for in Sunday next? I sniff a sub 3 over the horizon?
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I don't race Stephen or do events. This isn't training, I just run about a lot.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JT, you've reminded me of that scene in Anchorman. :lol:
    A crappy 4 miles for me today (well, not literally...just metaphorically). My calves felt dreadful and I dragged through the entire thing. I can't be hard on myself as I'm getting over both a marathon and a minor cold - I just could have done without the sore calves. I'm off for a relaxing Yin yoga session later, which I think is much needed.
  • Hope the yoga is a invigorating,  Cal.

More Parkrun Tourism for me yesterday, this time at Merthyr Tydfil. Some decent hills, more friendly Welshies and free water at the end on a glorious sunny morning, with fumes and the valleys all around. I set off a bit quick but managed to get round in 24:46, 17th out of 41 runners. An 80+ year old was very impressive and not too far behind me!

Back in Norwich now and need to do 3 weeks of high mileage and drop a few pounds before my next event.

Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    **MENTAL IMAGE!!**
    JT, very impressive mileage
    Cal, take it easy
    Swittle, streaking as every
    pacey, Stephen
    Andrea, good early miles
    Will, nice parkrunning

Wednesday saw 6 miles easy, then Thursday 4 miles MP, yesterday another 4 easy, and my final long-ish run this morning - 10 miles.
    A week to go!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Shaping up a treat, Nessie.   :)
  • 10.6 miles at 7:58 min/mi, up and down the old rail track. Started slow moved up to endurance pace for 48 minutes with the last 27 minutes tempo.
    Watching the closing of the Commonwealth Games. Its going to Birmingham next.
    Lots of dancing and fireworks. Im a sucker for that kind of thing:)

• I ran 3.7km in 30 minutes. I didn't think I would do much on the treadmill today so was pleased I stuck with this. (I am new to running so no negatives please)
  • 6 easy miles this morning 
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Did a 10 miler on Saturday, was warm but felt good, very slow pace but practised with gel. Bring on Sunday, even with bad back and warm weather planned! Leave everything on the streets of London and see what happens
  • Well done on your HM PB Andrea.  If you had lots left in the tank then you can likely improve it further.  

Stephen - regarding diagonals - nope never done those but are they not similar to strides?  I initially thought the youtube link would be to the dog looking out of the window.  Maybe you could take it on a run with you?

Swittle aren't those Marathons called Snickers these days?  But I do remember buying them under that name.

Take it easy Cal.

Sound's like you had nice hols Will.  Is your next event the 18 miler?

Nice running from JT.

Good to hear you are managing the taper well Nessie and snewma.  In a week we will be suffering from DOMS.

Welcome to Slothbubble.  Well done.  You are unlikely to get negative comments on here - this thread is for any running - regardless of distance and speed.  

Final double figure run for me yesterday with a bit short of 12 miles.  Was feeling fresh and enthusiastic and ran it a bit faster than I should probably have done.  I deliberately went out early afternoon to continue my heat acclimatisation.  Looking at around 20 degrees by the time I am hoping to be finished on Sunday.  
    It was a lovely day for a run yesterday - everything is finally growing and bursting into flower now - nice after the long months of grey and brown. 
  • Well done on getting all your mara prep done, Hazelnut. Hope it's not too warm for you.

Excellent half PB, Andrea. Sounds like you aced it!

Consistent as ever, JT. Pace and distance that impresses.

Fingers crossed for you, Nessie. Loads of work done so no luck required.

Hoping you have a good 'un, Snewma! 

And hello, Slothbubble! Excellent work. Hope you enjoy your running adventures :)

Well, having only done short runs for the last couple of weeks I need to hit 30+ miles a week before my 18 miler on May 13th. A warmish afternoon in Norwich and I got out for a very easy 8 miles. Concentrated on form and consistency and enjoyed getting back onto some distance. Birdsong everywhere, a couple of glorious magnolias and a soaring buzzard brightened the route.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello s-bubble and everyone.
    4.75mile treadmill incline run after a gym session yesterday. Today mainly offroad for 11.5miles in just under 1hr28 (tracking a bit screwy for first mile). Got partnered by a big enthusiastic dog called Keith for a while. Caught him right in the chops with my elbow (by accident, I like dogs) but it didn't discourage him. Stopped my watch to pick a route through a flooded field with tons of rotted silage piled across the track. The sun is shining intermittently but kinda cold. My body feels tired and my tee shirt smells weird.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Slothbubble.
    No run yesterday (it was sunny so I wanted to, but my niggles were niggling so common sense prevailed) but I did 4 miles today, plus some strides. I was a bit miffed as the forecast said sunny with clouds, but I actually got a fully grey sky with a bit of watery sunlight trying to peek through. Oh well. Legs aren't hurting now but I can still feel fatigue in them, hence the strides to try and shake 'em out a bit.
  • No sun whatsoever here either.

More speed work this morning. One mile warm up followed by 3 x 1km reps with two minute rest in between. Managed to improve on last weeks intervals. 7:04, 7:19 7:24
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Eh, well it's sunny now. Of course it is.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Nice term JT "partnering"
    Hazel, snew- nearly there.
    Welcome sloth!
    Andrea- impressive speed work!
    Cal, wise to ease back in
    Stephen, Will, swittle- hello!
    Me- well my taper nerves have all but gone as I have no headspace for them. Yesterday's return to work has been super busy and emotionally gruelling with many difficult student issues coming to the fore this week for some reason. In addition we've had the rapid response team called out to mum, and my 9 year old has decided to sleep like a 2 year old in the last few days.. Harumph
    Due to said crap sleep last night I slept through my 6 am alarm but still managed to squeeze in a very easy paced 3 miles before work this morning.  I took myself through two local parks and it was breezy and warm- always the best way to start the day.  Only 1.5 runs now until Sunday
  • Tough times, Nessie. Hope it smooths out.

A veritable plod of 6.5 miles tonight. Too much cauliflower for tea repeated on me and I couldn't break a very ploddy snail pace. Still, miles bagged and enjoying the endorphin glow now.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hope you have an easier few days before Sunday Ness. People and stuff and cauliflowers are a nuisance.
    Busy couple of days coming and not much chance to run. Tired all day but went out this evening 8.15miles in an hour so pace okay. Blustery and grey but not cold. Lot of other runners about. A lost pink hi vis bib alone and forlorn on a riverside path. A girl stopped on a broken down moped leaking petrol. Passive-aggressive pigeons.