Proposed Strike on DLR Travel to Expo and Start VLM 2018 Watch info carefully 20-24 April

edited April 2018 in Spring Marathon
Just seen this elsewhere and received by email:

The RMT has announced strike action on the DLR. This will run from 04:00 on Friday 20 April, until 03:59 on Tuesday 24 April. The strike has been called over a dispute with KeolisAmey Docklands who operate the DLR on behalf of TfL.

Plans are being developed with the aim of operating a limited service over the four days, which coincide with the London Marathon on Sunday 22 April.

If the strike goes ahead, extra bus services will be deployed along the DLR network over the four days. All other TfL services will be operating as usual, however there will be road closures around the London Marathon route from early Sunday morning. The Jubilee, Central, District and Hammersmith & City lines in East London are expected to be busier than usual and stations including Canary Wharf, Canada Water, London Bridge, Canning Town, Bank and Stratford may be exceptionally busy.

Further information on what services may operate will be communicated ahead of the strike and posters, digital boards and announcements in London Underground and London Overground stations will keep customers informed of the levels of service.

For up to date information on what services may operate, please visit tfl.gov.uk/dlr. Please check before you travel or follow us on Twitter @londondlr, @TravelAlerts , @TfLTrafficNews and @TfLBusAlerts.Yours sincerely,

Mark Davis
General Manager, DLR
Tagged:

Comments

• That's gonna be a pain in the butt if it still goes ahead.

Ta for the heads up SB !
  • Keep this at the top very important
  • Don’t worry too much, come the 11th hour Sadiq Khant will rush out of the phone box by County Hall with his pants over his trousers and with a blaze of publicity (something he’s always looking for) will announce that he has found a solution, and thanks to him everyone can have a wonderful weekend,he CANNOT afford any more bad publicity for  Londonistan during his term in office 
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    Wow indeed. 

Be anti Sadiq Khan if you like, be anti labour sure, but don't use terms like londonistan . It reveals how far to the right you really are.

• Your right,im I'm wrong, just cos I'm not having the best of luck and lack of travel facilities is a pain in the butt, stressing out on here ain't the correct place, apologies
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Good luck to those taking industrial action - it's always a last resort.

Any anger should be directed the way of the DLR and TfL.
  • You might be right in blaming DLR & TfL for the root causes of the industrial action, but the timing of the strike is purely down to the RMT, designed specifically to maximise disruption to the London Marathon.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Can't people get Jubilee line to Canning Town and then walk to Expo from there?  about 20min walk...that's what I was thinking of doing....
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

You might be right in blaming DLR & TfL for the root causes of the industrial action, but the timing of the strike is purely down to the RMT, designed specifically to maximise disruption to the London Marathon.

Unfortunately it's done for maximum impact, it would be nowhere near as effective on a regular weekday for example. Got the upmost sympathy for marathoners who may be inconvenienced by this but hope the anger isn't placed towards the workers. There are no winners where industrial action is concerned - hopefully management can come up with an agreement before Sunday. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Another way to get to the Excel is Jubilee to North Greenwich and then the Emirates cable car directly across to the Excel. Bit pricier though....

There are no winners in any of this? London gets bad publicity and the whole Marathon support is disrupted. The RMT never thought it would go this far IMO and now it's just brinkmanship.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted - otherwise the whole canary Wharf loop will be v quiet supporter wise?

• CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately gladrags the entire world doesn't revolve around the London Marathon. Whilst it may be an inconvenience to runners and some parts of the route less supported than usual a prolonged attack on workers rostering, conditions and work life balance shouldn't be tolerated. Will leave it at that but DLR have had countless opportunities to resolve it and are just as much to blame for Sunday's strike going ahead. At least there is ample notice to make other arrangements.
  • Gladrags - that's my cunning plan too - sssshhhhh.

Isn't the cable car part of the TFL system ? I just swipe my debit card when I use it - same as the tube.

I'm out of town though so I'm probably doing it all wrong.

No idea on the strike but I'm sure the workers have good reasons.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

ample time to make other arrangements?!!!

what other arrangements would you like runners and spectators to make on Sunday to ensure public safety at such a global event?

The world may well not revolve around the marathon but this weekend was not chosen at random was it? There may have been countless opportunities to resolve the situation (by TFL) but there are also countless other weekends that could have been chosen.

• CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Okay, we're not going to agree on this and I respect your point of view but the final thing I'll say is this - it's wasn't the RMT who called the strike, it was is members - the workers. Regular folk like you and I. A cross section of society which will probably include runners too. It is a last resort and a decision they'll have not taken easily.

I wish you and everyone else running on Sunday all the very best and hope the strike doesn't disrupt you too much. Just if you can consider the bigger picture before publically dismissing those taking reluctant action.

• I started this thread so we could be informed at the impact of the proposed disruption and offer constructive proposals to those who do not live in London and have to get to EXCEL or those who need to re-think their Sunday Morning to ensure that they get to the start.

Routes to CanningTown:
    Central Line (RED) to Stratford then Jubilee Line (Grey)
    Hammersmith & City (Pink) to West Ham then Jubilee Line (Grey)
    District Line (Green) to West Ham then Jubilee Line

From Canning Town to Excel:
    Walk
    Bus 147 to Ilford stops at Custom House Leaves from bus stop B outside the DLR/Tube Station
    Bus 241 to Stratford stops at Customs House Leave from bus stop B to
    Bus Map Canning Town

or take the 241 from Stratford to Customs House from outside the Westfield Shopping centre Bus Stop W
    Bus Map Stratford

Also the Emirates Air Line from Greenwich North
    £3.50 with oyster or contactless does not count to daily fare cap

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Fair enough - sorry to have derailed.

Think there is also talk of trying to run a skeleton service and additional bus services - might help for access to Excel on Friday/Saturday?

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, there is no right or wrong here and ultimately what's said here will have no bearing on this strike whatsoever, so we're all just expressing opinions. I don't know that the union and their member's reasons for deciding to strike are - they well have a reason which justifies their actions in the eyes of many people. At the risk of sounding harsh, I don't care. They have chosen to remove this service from me on the days where I really need it - this is the only part of this which is of interest to me. I resent being disrupted like this as an innocent pawn in a chess game which is irrelevant to me.

My views won't be shared by everyone I'm sure but the strike has been called by a subset of the workers, and I hope that if I'm able to make it to VLM next year that the people responsible for taking this decision are no longer in a position to do so again.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Rodeoflip - I agree. I don't oppose strikes in a general sense at all. But the timing of this one is very deliberate. The marathon has been targeted through no fault of its own. The workers may have voted for the strike but it is the RMT that decided the timing. If it goes ahead then the degree of chaos on Sunday is off the scale.

I was just apologising to the OP who was looking to provide a public service rather than an analysis of the situation.

• I was not trying to stop opinions, but trying to ensure important info does not get swallowed up....

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Last time I had a job where there were things about it I couldn't accept, I did something about it and found myself a better job. I didn't seek to make anyone else suffer, especially when they weren't involved. The RMT might yet win this battle, but I hope this strengthens KAD's resolve to not leave themselves open to this sort of blackmail in the future.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I'm all for the workers except when it affects me, the wankers.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I'm not for or against the workers, or the owners / managers. I don't care about the rights & wrongs, I just want to use the f£$%ing service, and it's the RMT who have decided to withdraw this service.

Anyway, looks like they're getting what they wanted and the marathon will suffer as a result. I know the RMT will blame KAD, but KAD didn't take the decision that they wouldn't go to work and do their jobs this weekend.

I'm sure everyone will survive the strike and hopefully it won't have too much impact. Biggest PITA will be getting to and from the Expo, hopefully the alternatives won't be too busy.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    DLR strike is off!
  • Confirmed on BBC news tonight.
  • Didn’t I say that super khant would leap out of the phone box with his pants over his trousers at the last minute and save face,(sorry the marathon)LOL
  • It's probably better news for spectators than runners. Mrs Worry was wondering how best to get about to watch.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Agree more important for spectators- my lot have always gone to Westferry (mile 15 and 21) and now I can repay the favour on Sunday.

6 boxes of jelly babies should do it?
  • MANCHESTER MARATHON 2019 APRIL 7TH - Anyone that is interested in running the 2019 Manchester Marathon and would like to run it on behalf of a charity please get in touch. The Lords Taverners helps give disabled and disadvantaged children a sporting chance. We have a small but easily achievable minimum fundraising target but will provide you with full support and marketing material to help you raise funds. Email me on declan.walsh@lordstaverners.org if you would like to know more :)