Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I just need to somehow make myself taper. I'm enjoying the training too much to stop.

I saw this article today which I thought was interesting. In particular note his easy run paces and lack of crazy intervals, hill reps etc. All feeling safe but steady training. 

https://www.fastrunning.com/training/athlete-insights/how-i-train-dan-studley/14483
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

It seems he puts tempo running at the cornerstone of everything which, at a much reduced level, is what I have been trying to do over the past few months and it has paid some dividends in terms of race times so far!

Enjoy the taper DT, you'll feel better for it!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there are some interval sessions to sharpen up at various points, however when most people ask me about my running and what they should do there seems to be this go to position that high paced intervals and hill reps are the way to get faster and people are largely astounded when I tell them that I can count on one hand how many of those sessions I've done this year.

3.5 miles last night at 8.45mm in the pouring rain. Spin tonight then bodypump tomorrow means no running until Thursday. I could get edgy!!

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Consistent mileage then @DT19 you do seem to mix in a fair bit of tempo and MP runs too.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all!  :)

Absence here continues as my running mileage is still shockingly low :o ... 215 miles in the last 6 months!! Just had a quick read back over the last couple of pages.

Not all bad here, as I'm now at 820 miles on the bike in 2018  (best start to a year so far) and have still managed 21:05 & 21:19 parkruns with "long" runs up to 8-9 miles, so not too disastrous. I've been ready to re-launch the running for a few weeks but don't have the motivation yet as I'm more concerned about 80 miles of hilly hell on May 6th (Tour de Yorkshire) - hence have concentrated on cycling. Just completed a 9 day spell with 57 and 60 mile rides, interspersed with 4 x 10 mile "time trials" on the Brownlee Centre cycle track (outdoor - 1 mile circuit). Going to continue this tactic for now but will maintain baseline running and then try to pick it up in May as prep for the Leeds ITU (Standard distance). Need to start swimming for that ASAP as I haven'r been wet since last year's race (in fact may go today). After that Tri, I will start marathon training for October ... not expecting a great running year off the back of what's gone before but hopefully the cycling will have helped.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    dr Dan, that's you and Duck seemingly moving permanently to the dark side of triathlon!!
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Dan!

4 easy recovery miles for me this evening, which felt pretty good really. Will do a parkrun on Saturday and see how that goes.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    More biking for me too, didn't make my lunch run yesterday because tech issues meant I got nothing done all morning and was playing catch up.  Maybe a quick 3 miler this evening if I can fit it in.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Went out in the Zoom Flys yesterday, they really really don't like running slow. 

Set out hard and did 5k ( with 50m of climbing) in just under 22 min.  Then did a 1.5k cool down, started plodding at 5.30m/km and they were terrible and just wanted to speed up.  Went up to 5m/km and they felt a bit better.  At 4m/km they feel great.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, jgav. It is amazing what a pair of shoes can do and also the importance of having the right shoe for the distance. 

I am am aiming for a few miles at mp over lunch and will try my best to dial into 6.45mm, something I've failed miserably on so far. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done Gav - glad to hear that the shoes seem like a good fit!

DT - coincidentally, whilst 6.45mm is your MP, it is the pace I am targeting to run at in a parkrun on Saturday!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, it's amazing what the body can develop into. 6.45mm is about 41.50, 10k. A few years ago that would be an eye balls out 10k for me.

The one that always makes me think is when I run a half at sub 6.20 pace, which a few years ago wasn't achievable at 5k. Sundays half at 'mp' was 1.27.13. It was only 2 years ago that my longstanding pb was 1.27.07 and I couldn't get near it.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I suppose, on a lesser scale, I have just run a 10k at 7:04 pace, when at the same time last year it was 7:24 pace. And that has only been through doing some semi-regular training. As you now, my mileage is still pretty low. I do sometimes wonder what I could achieve if I could find the time (and resilience) to double my weekly mileage.

In fact, I think it would make for a great TV show for an average runner to be trained for a year by Team GB level coaches, with access to their physios, dieticians etc as well (obviously with a year off work too) to see just how much improvement they could make, compared to the improvements they make just by themselves. (Team GB could view it as self-promotion of how good their coaches and methods are, that they can even make an average Joe into a half decent runner).

I would think, to take me for example, I could improve to about a 42 min 10k (at best) when left to my own devices over the next year, but how much further could I go if I had access to all of the above? Sub40, sub38?

How much do you think someone of your ability could improve with access to such things?

I know that natural ability, age and physiology play the biggest part in improvement though.

However, if I ever win the lottery you know how I'll be spending £200k of it, by hiring all of the above for 1 year (just for my own interest really)!!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, I recall some 4 years ago having a conversation with a clubmate about this and basically saying that we would all no doubt be limited by genetics and that I could imagine that if I was able to do what you outline above then perhaps I could get top 38 mins for a 10k. Obviously I have managed that myself now and I have no real genetic reason over any other person. It has come from consistent hard work.

Running is  a largely fair sport in that most of the time you do get back what you put in. I think if I were 10 years younger and was where I am at now and suddenly got given the above then I reckon I could be pushed to sub 35.

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that running has a natural progression.  I've been trying to persuade Mrs JGav that consistent mileage will get her faster but she doesn't seem to believe me.  That being said, she used to run an all out 5k in 26.30, she's now very close to breaking the 25 minute mark.

Yesterday I gave her a session of 4x1k at just faster than target 5k pace (i.e. 4.55m/m) and she went and ran a 4.35 (on the slight downhill section). With all of the kms ran at 4.50 or quicker with a 3 min recovery.  I'll get her to do the same session next time with a 2 min recovery.

Work run club was 6x2 min at faster than target 5k then 1500m at threshold.  2 min blocks ran with a bit of variation 3.45 - 3.55 and the threshold was supposed to be 4.10 but came out at 3.55 oops.  Think maybe I should have ran all the 2 min blocks in 3.45 but went easy on myself.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    A slightly disappointing 21:20 at parkrun this morning. Felt a little sluggish in the warm up and maintaining 6:45 pace just felt like hard work, so maybe I still had Sunday’s 10k in my legs. Course is a 3 lapper which means lots of overtaking needed on laps 2 and 3 so watch measured the course extra long at 3.2 miles (I expect 3.15ish, but 3.2 felt extra long) which didn’t help.

Not a bad workout overall though I suppose. 16 seconds quicker than last 5k in February, and on a longer course, shows some progress.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, good effort. 0.1 is definitely long enough to make a significant difference of a good 20 seconds. You can always compare average pace today and last time for a better comparison of gains. 

I didn't feel great today and slept badly last night. Dragged myself along to parkrun. Went off much too fast and was struggling by 1 mile. Stomach was sore and felt sick. I was surprised to not completely crash and burn. Came in at 18.44 and 7th. My previous attempt at this course 2 weeks ago was 18 55. Splits were 5.50, 6.05, 6.11 and 5.59 pace for what was exactly 0.1 miles. Reasonably happy with that as it really didn't feel like my day. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Yes, think actual average pace for the full 3.2 miles was 6:40, which is about what I was hoping for.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Ps - hope the sick feeling was nothing long lasting! Good parkrun in the circumstances then.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done today AD! Sham it measure long but there will be other races/parkruns! And you may well have the last race and the week's training in the legs. 

Make sure you have a very light week, DT! Don't toe the line tired and/or overtrained! Better 5% under than 5% over has been said on here before. I would just be looking at a few 40 minute easy runs to keep the legs ticking over, perhaps with the odd mile at marathon pace to help engrain that into your subconscious so that it become automatic from around miles two or three when it is less congested. 

Update from me: had a scare earlier in the week as had been having lots of back pain and wondered if it had fractured again. Managed to get hold of consultant friend and he saw me on Monday evening and sent me for an MRI straight away. Got the results this pm and glad to report there is no new break, nor nothing else sinister. However as around 25% of the bone of one vertebra is missing and I am still in pain he is sending me to see another consultant for his thoughts (actually someone who operated on my neck after a car crash!). No running as yet but can do lots of walking and pilates. Consultant was very positive, so therefore I am! Calcium and Vitamin D levels are much improved so it is also a case of keep taking the tablets! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Bike run round Regents Park on Sunday.  Went with a friend who is much bigger (taller and heavier than me).  He was complaining that he's under trained and fat right now.  Then proceeds to ride me off his wheel, I just couldn't keep up.  Luckily my running is currently much better than it was.  

Last year we did the same session and same result on the bike and then he went away on the run going 7.45mm off a hard bike.  This time I dropped him on the run and felt like I was in second gear.  Calves started twinging so we both called the run short of the planned 10k.  No point getting injured for an extra couple of miles.

Good luck with the scans @alehouse hope it's not too bad.
    Great parkrun @DT19 sounds like even on a bad day you are putting in decent performances.
    Nice parkrun @AndrewD
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, I would tend to look at the fact that you ran 6.40 pace. My average pace in London last year was 6.59 on my garmin, however my actual time due to running 26.44 miles would give me about 7.03mm. I still tell people I ran a sub 7mm marathon.

Alehouse- glad to hear that the issues have not presented anything more sinister so far. Good luck with the on-going investigations.

Jgav, your running has unquestionably improved. I still await you running a parkrun or something similar to get an official time though.

11 miles easy yesterday to finish off the double digit runs. 3.5 miles at recovery this morning with a few strides and a final last 400 at around mp. Rest day tomorrow then a short mp run Wednesday just to dial into pace.

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @DT19 Will try to do the Serpentine last Friday of the month 5k on the 27th.  Parkruns aren't possible for me really.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Yes, it would be interesting to see how you would do in a 5k JGav.

Alehouse - sounds like you are having a tough run of things. Hopefully the consultants can sort you out.

Ran 4.5 miles as a recovery yesterday. Picked a very hilly route (not really through choice) so it was quite tough, but probably a good training run to do that on tired legs. Rest today and tomorrow before getting back into it.

I am signed up to a 10k at the end of May and will also do another parkrun early June, then will get into some base training over the summer alongside cricket.

Did anyone watch the commonwealth marathon? I watched up until about18 miles in, when Hawkins had opened up a gap of about 40 seconds and then went to bed thinking he had it in the bag. Couldn't believe it when I checked the next morning! Poor guy - goes to show that anyone can 'hit the wall', even if they are very well trained!

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Ps - weather looks pretty awful in Boston for their marathons! Very different to what London seems to be in store for next weekend.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Felt warm when I went out at lunch today.  I always look forward to it warming up and then remember that so do the tourists and office workers with their picnic lunches.  

How much extra mileage does the dodging round people add?
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Haha, well it added (up to) 0.1 miles over the second 2.5k of my parkrun on Saturday!
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/apr/17/10-reasons-yuki-kawauchi-boston-marathon-winner-should-be-your-favourite-runner

Interesting article above about the male winner at the Boston marathon. Sounds like a bit of a nutter, but it goes to show that if you are genetically pre-disposed to being a good distance runner you can fit it in around a normal job!

And this, about a nurse who came second:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43794846

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Both obviously immensely talented.  Take your (above) average Joe and with all of the training in the world they won't run those times.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, they are great stories. You would never expect to finish 2nd in a world series marathon running that sort of time. She must have been wondering what the hell was going!

I assume you have all seen the London gfa changes announced. Lots of people who ran Manchester and brighton are largely unhappy with timing, however in 2013 London made changes after the London marathon which was much worse. Suddenly takes me from a very comfortable gfa position to a potentially unlikely one given the forecast on sunday.