P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Thanks Higgy . will take a look.

Westy - BBC has temperature for sunday rising to 17C at 10am and 22C at 1pm

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Ooof. That is too warm for little old Westy. Might revise goal to sub 4 now.
  • FBT - I’ve run marathons 14 days apart but never 7 days.  I sometimes feel better after an easy 4 or 5 miler than before so that’s all I could recommend.

In an effort to shave lbs (ounces) off, I’ve booked in for a tooth extraction tomorrow. Carb loading through a straw should be fun.
  • Still can't get over Boston yesterday, never seen anything like it.....just amazing!

Nice bit of jogging FBT, imagine how quick you could be if you didn't jog ;) Hope the legs are feeling alright

As always an amazing weekend of training Joe, any reason you did the 4hours on the turbo, only ask as the weather was lovely on Sat

Solid last long/medium long runs from many

Only advice that I can really advise Charlotte is to enjoy it and go off slowly, so that it feels too slow or those lack of long runs will really bite come the end. Best of luck  :)

After a lazy weekend, went out for a little over 6 miles yesterday morning, bought some new Adidas Supernova Sequence last week so gave them a spin, very comfy shoe! Knee alright. An easy 4 today but oddly pace was better than usual

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    AWC - With a warm day forecast I really wouldn't be going for a stretch time!

The forecast is now even hotter! 3:05 may become my A goal. I really don't run well in the heat.

6 miles today. Legs getting fresher.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    AWC (and others)...  regarding your comment that 2.59.59 may well not be enough to get in.   I think it might be.  I think it would be very helpful if VLM were to give some indications of what they think will happen because it will help people like you (and me) decide on how to approach their upcoming marathon.

I just did a really quick analysis of the male senior and male V50-54 age ranges at Manchester and, combined, there were 464 runners who met the old GFA times but 125 of them will fail to meet the new standards.  So about 27%.   I know that's a snapshot and also that it's not just as simple as that...  but it's probably reasonable to say that about a quarter the current male GFA runners are going to lose their places.  

I've read in a blog that there were 5000 GFA entries in 2016.  Let's assume it's between that figure and the definitely known new (maximum) number of 6000.  I don't know how many are currently male but if they were split in a ratio 2:1 men/women, then that's a maximum of 4000 men (probably fewer).  And if we lose a quarter of those because of the new qualifying times, then we'll be under the 3000 limit and everyone who achieves a qualifying time can be accommodated.

VLM have all the data...  they ought to clear this up quickly.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    Millsy - #32802 red FGFA start. Blue Salisbury vest with Millsy on the front.
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start
    Joe - #1491
    AWC - #42333 Green Macmillan Cancer vest, Red Start

HA77 - #1606 White and green Bracknell Forrest vest, champs start

Just thought I'd add my name to the list. Is it just me and Joe off the champs start? Does anyone know if Phil is still running? Haven't seen him on Strava for a while.

Joe - Is Katie running or is her knee still an issue?

I don't really mind the warm weather, not that I'd choose it. Now that I'm nowhere near PB fitness I'm not too worried about the time, which I think helps my feelings about it.

As for GFA, if there is a gender imbalance I think they should encourage more women to run, maybe make the women's GFA time a bit easier and the men's a bit harder but I don't think having strict quotas of men and women is the right way to go about it. I thought GFA was mostly about course management anyway, fitting more people on where there's space, but it doesn't sound like it anymore.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    BBC now has it 18C at 10am, 23C at 1pm. Ouch. Lovely for the supporters, horrible for the runners except for the odd Aussie. Definitely binning any goals now.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Blimey that forecast is getting worse. Think I’ll be aiming for 3:10 or maybe just a PB
  • Thanks Macca - Ive done 14 dyas a few times and that was not a problem - 7 days is a little concerning. as you say might try a small run to loosen up

Scott - Legs are ok thats but I feel totally wiped out still, which I have not felt in previous post marathons.

• At this rate, increasing 1-2 deg every day it could be 28 deg C on sunday! Thats if people can get there with all the stikes going on!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Actually thinking of not bothering, will save myself a couple of hundred quid.
  • I think that everytime i run a marathon as well Westy - but you know you will be there!

a couple of hundred pounds for less than 3 hours of hell is a bargain in my book!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Maybe...but....the heat, the strike, no family or support, train/hotel costs...just not sure it's worth it.
  • Of course its not worth it Westy - but thats not the point!

Just get it over and done with!

• But just think of all the free food you can enjoy afterwards Westy: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/london-marathon

One tip for Sunday - bring a frozen water bottle along. Holding it against your wrists really helps cool you down, and keeping your core temperature low before the start will really help. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Hope the forecast turns out OK for you all at London!

NE - That's an interesting analysis and yes, VLM should clear it up to help runners out.
    AWC - You are definately in sub 3:10 shape, you have had an amazing training block, but I know where you are coming from as it's tempting to try for sub 3 now GFA is no longer 3:05.

6 mile recovery yesterday and an 11 mile MLR today. Strange run today, felt tough for about 4 miles and was running closer to 9 min/miles, but then things got easier and last 5 miles were closer to 8 min miles!!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The forecast and the change in GFA has put a bit of a spanner in the works.
    i was hoping to be able to go easy on the calf and hopefully scrape a 3.14 if not feeling 100% to secure a couple more years.
    even if the calf is good a sub 3.05 could be an effort in the conditions. Will just have to hope that my time from last year will get me in next time (2:55 as a 39 yr old)
    Abingdon is looking like a better bet for my PB this year.

still going to enjoy the weekend. Should be nice drinking weather on the Sunday afternoon.
  • Millsy, If you have next years GFA in the bag, then whats the problem? sure you will get a sub 3:05 in other marathons - you seem to keep banging out some pretty good times
  • Westy: do it!

Another tip but probably well known anyway:  take a small sponge if not already provided (tuck into shorts) for hand/face/neck wiping.  I never do a hot race without one.

Looking at strava it is dress rehearsal time.  Saw JohnOz made it to London ok.

A nice 6 miles for me yesterday evening - 8 of us out this week including one new guy.  Dress rehearsal a bit later for me too.

I'm anxiously watching the forecast for Zurich as well - looking at 11 degrees at the start rising up to 20 by the time I'm hoping to be finished.  Some very welcome clouds and not too much wind.  The lake apparently has around 11 degrees at the moment - bit cold for a post run (or mid-mara?) dip.
  • Got my number through for Sunday - per mail - need to go and collect the real thing on Saturday - grrr. 
    It is 3340.  3:34 is my PB - not sure if this is a good omen or not.. Am I allowed to change it to 3300?  Suppose I could do it with a marker pen.  ;)  The chip on the reverse wouldn't know anything about it.
  • All change again for sunday

Hazel - weird coincidence

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    As Hazel mentioned, made it here last night and did 3k@4:05 this morning around Hyde Park. Weather felt OK then but now it’s baking! Going to be a tough one this time on Sunday if it is like this. 

Heading to the expo this afternoon to get it out of the way. 

GFA changes seem pretty harsh with a triple whammy by ratcheting up the times, qualifying age and numbers allowed. Guess it reflects London’s popularity but they should have announced it much earlier so people could still adjust their training or expectations for Spring marathons. 

How is everyone’s final week going?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    John, you will probably the best adapted to the conditions on Sunday.
  • On my way back from the expo.  I got my train fare back in beer tokens so just about worth the trip.  Could have been more food in the goody bag imho, I had to buy a lunch :p 
  • I've been reading along all week but not posting; hard to keep up!

Weather certainly hotting up, glad I'm not showing up for a PB attempt. I'm thinking even sub 3 might be a strain in the heat; my plan was to train right through so may have to rethink the pace strategy. 

Out in Paris, and it's even hotter than out in London currently. Will get out for a run in the dreaded woods Macca mentioned in his report the other day.

HA - no Katie unfortunately, she's had to defer and is pretty devastated about the whole situation especially considering there's around 50 from our club running.

Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    Millsy - #32802 red FGFA start. Blue Salisbury vest with Millsy on the front.
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers vest, luminous swimming trunks, flat cap. Blue start. 
    AWC - #42333 Green Macmillan Cancer vest, Red Start
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice pace on the MP miles John.

I too had the dress rehearsal this morning. I wanted a confidence booster so made sure that the wind was behind me. Mile 1 was a bit exuberant at 6:20 whereas mile 2 was a more realistic 6:40.

This running on fresh legs business is fun. Seems a bit of a shame to ruin them on Sunday... 
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    Hope the tooth extraction went as well as one of those can Macca. Beer tokens? Excellent. I’ve had one pint in three months.

That’s a real shame for Katie, Joe. Not sure I’ve felt the fomo more than with London.

Thanks for the regular weather/travel updates Westy.

Welcome to London John.

Can’t wait for Sunday now. What a great hobby to pick, when the end prize is running the London marathon (my first time, this).

Expo today to get it done before potential DLR strike. Will it really go ahead? Not so sure. 

Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    Millsy - #32802 red FGFA start. Blue Salisbury vest with Millsy on the front.
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers vest, luminous swimming trunks, flat cap. Blue start. 
    AWC - #42333 Green Macmillan Cancer vest, Red Start
    dct - #31431 Navy with white sash Tracksmith vest and pink Bostons. Red FGFA start

On times, something in the 2:50s hopefully. Ended up with far too much to do once P&D started in Jan, having not run since September 2017 (injuries being the downside of this hobby).