Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    SJ - read the bit after "please note"
  • Busy day round here!

Well done on the sub-3 SBD.

TR - sounds like you are on the road to recovery - great news.

Al_P - hope the hammy is just a slight twinge.

Selbs - consistent sub 2:45s off 50 miles a week - I'd be more than happy with that! I've had to average 60-70 to get a 2:50. That said, I strongly agree about the consistent consistency. I've only ever managed to string together a maximum of two campaigns in a row before getting injured. Perhaps if I reduced the mileage but strung together three or four in a row I'd be in a better place. Something to contemplate after Sunday.

I saw the new GFA news this morning. GFA for London is now tougher than Boston qualifying! The part about oversubscription is a little confusing but it sounds like the times will be reduced across each age category until they reach 3000 of each gender. That'll have to be done second by second as they get close to the mark. It will be interesting to see how much under you need to be. Last year for Boston it was 3:23, though of course there are many, many more time-qualifier places at Boston. Speaking of which, conditions were appalling for today's race. It's hard to believe that last year we had sunshine and highs of around 27C...

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    UDS.. brave attempt and a fine result after the leg wobble incident.  As others have said the sub 3 will taste all the sweeter when it comes.

SBD.. welcome aboard and many congrats on the sub 3.

Joe B.. I'm looking forward to the weather too, might not be saying that at 22m of course.  Though as Selbs said it's an ideal Al Fresco beer drinking forecast.

Padams.. sounds like you're in good nick, ditto trying to resist too many food treats now the training is reduced.  Creme eggs are off the shopping list.  :/

Al P.. well done on the Park Run PB, hope the hammy is just a tweak.

Charlie/TT.. perhaps the ladies see me as a handy wind break @ 6'2" as well as a metronomic pacer  :)   Enjoy your two rest days Charlie.

TR.. hope the recovery continues.

Taper madness example.. end of last week I was helping out with a beginners group at our club.  We were doing a warm up of sorts which involved one brief routine of windmill style arm whirls back & forth.  Serves me right for joining in - my left collarbone/shoulder blade area was uncomfortable later on and I was in quite some discomfort the next day so had to take a pain killer.  Luckily it did ease off gradually and didn't affect the weekend's races.  This surely confirms that warm ups are bad for you  :|

Rest day today and it took all my willpower to resist a run in very pleasant weather. 

One bit of marathon sportsmanship I remember from London many years ago.. when the race went through Tower Bridge & the cobbles.  Can't remember the year but on a wet day one of the two leading runners slipped and tripped over one of the barrier struts in the Tower section.  The other guy visibly slowed down and waited for the stricken runner to get up and re-join him, nice gesture.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    2007 GFA start which then was combined with the celeb start, the result lots of argy bargy with runners elbowing themselves past unknown unknowns but Sir Steven Redgrave moved to the side of the road to let all of the runners past warmly applauding them all as they did so, and started his own marathon once everyone had run past. As reported by Mrs OO.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Wardi - it was Evans Rutto who took the fall in 2004 by the Tower of London. Was alongside Sammy Korir at the time, but went on to beat him by 30 secs. 
    They changed the course the following year. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - I knew you would know the runners involved!

Interesting about the GFA changes. Hopefully won't affect me for a while yet!

5M yesterday home from work (felt a bit rubbish), then 6M this morning inc. 2M "MP". I had a rucksack with me (on the way to work) and obviously wanted to do the MP without the rucksack, so ran around a grass field for the MP bit. It was around 0.25M (so 8 laps), but I think my GPS had clockwise-itis as it was saying I did the 2M at 5:40 pace - it didn't feel that fast and the ground was soft in places with some long grass.

Plan for the rest of the week is about 6M tomorrow (and Expo), 4M with some strides on Thursday, nothing on Friday and 3M with a few pick-ups on Saturday.

• Strangely BrownStrangely Brown ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello.  Not been on here for a while but dip in for a read every so often.  Just wanted some advice, if poss, from those who have "been there before".

I'm embarking on my sixth marathon in London at the weekend and have managed to get myself in some tidy shape.  I've trained long and hard this winter and lowered my 10k PB for the first time in over 3 years.  I was very confident of a marathon PB, perhaps by a few minutes too (a 2.55 best presently). 

I've just never run one in the heat and now they're forecasting a 22.c high for Sunday.  I wilt when it's a 10k in 19 degrees so lord knows how I'll get on in that.

Anyone been here?  Trying to push for a PB in warmth/heat?  Should I even bother or just accept it for what it is and enjoy the day and go again next year?  Any experiences welcome :)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SB - It will affect your time but you can limit that so go for it.  Keep your core as cool as possible before the race. Key is to tip plenty of water over your head and body. Take a sponge with you and wipe yourself down. Consider shaving your legs -  a cooling and slipstream effect, estimated at 20 secs thru a marathon. Keep positive, its the same for everybody else. I've run a relatively easy 2.54 in 23C this Jan and 2.51 in 8C last week. 
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - this year has to be the year to do Abo then. A summer of running focus like you've been doing for the last while should produce a good result, and it's a great little race. I fancied something 5 weeks after my A race as that should be enough time for me to turn it around and go again.

CRAB - I've had to be patient for about 5 months as the virus I picked up in December has only recently (almost) cleared out; 3 years is something I wouldn't have been strong enough to have kept the faith for, so chapeau! I'm glad it has paid off for you! I take it surgery would have fused discs and reduced mobility?

Wardi - possible on the wind break. It's not something I've ever really had to consider me being used for!
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Anyone planning to pick up their number from Excel on Friday or Saturday?
    Bearing in mind you can only get there via the DLR, I've just got this email from Transport for London.

The RMT has announced strike action on the DLR. This will run from 04:00 on Friday 20 April, until 03:59 on Tuesday 24 April. The strike has been called over a dispute with KeolisAmey Docklands who operate the DLR on behalf of TfL. 

Plans are being developed with the aim of operating a limited service over the four days, which coincide with the London Marathon on Sunday 22 April. 

If the strike goes ahead, extra bus services will be deployed along the DLR network over the four days. All other TfL services will be operating as usual, however there will be road closures around the London Marathon route from early Sunday morning. The Jubilee, Central, District and Hammersmith & City lines in East London are expected to be busier than usual and stations including Canary Wharf, Canada Water, London Bridge, Canning Town, Bank and Stratford may be exceptionally busy. 

Further information on what services may operate will be communicated ahead of the strike and posters, digital boards and announcements in London Underground and London Overground stations will keep customers informed of the levels of service. 

For up to date information on what services may operate, please visit tfl.gov.uk/dlr. Please check before you travel or follow us on Twitter @londondlr@TravelAlerts @TfLTrafficNews and @TfLBusAlerts.
    So that's handy then.  FFS.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    LMH -- wow, so I'd forgotten you were FV50 -- that is remarkable.

selbs -- glad to hear you're back on good form.

On the pit stop avoidance, I eat nothing but white bread sandwiches (with jam, a little cheese in the lunchtime one perhaps) the day before the race. And some sweeets. No salad, no fruit, no veg, no wholemeal. And I don't eat heavily the day before anyway, having carbo-loaded on the Friday. And have Imodium (unnecessarily I'm sure) an hour or two before. I may spend most of race morning in the loo but by the time the gun goes, I have never had a problem during the race (whereas in training I often have to schedule a stop or two during a long run).

Maybe you're right TR -- I have a slight taper niggle today. All was fine after my weekend running though. When I got back late to the station last night, my bike had been nicked, so I ran home (only a mile) in my work kit, having also run between the Eurostar and KGX. Woke up with a somewhat tight/weak left shin, something I've had before but not recently. I did a 2M taper tune-up tempo this morning and didn't feel it while running, but I can feel it again now -- will keep it massaged and stretched and hope for the best that it just goes away again. And I do have that day off for another work trip tomorrow.

Dan -- I don't know what the DLR grievance is, but it's tantamount to (attempted?) blackmail calling action over marathon weekend. Do hope it's resolved.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Dan.. ta for the info, I don't arrive until Friday early afternoon so will head for the Expo asap after that.  I had noted that Excel is about 20 mins walk from Canning Town tube so that is one option open to me.  Oh, and well remembered from 2004. My first sub 3:10 that year. :)
  • OuchOuch said:
    SB - It will affect your time but you can limit that so go for it.  Keep your core as cool as possible before the race. Key is to tip plenty of water over your head and body. Take a sponge with you and wipe yourself down. Consider shaving your legs -  a cooling and slipstream effect, estimated at 20 secs thru a marathon. Keep positive, its the same for everybody else. I've run a relatively easy 2.54 in 23C this Jan and 2.51 in 8C last week. 
    Thanks OuchOuch, somewhat reassuring then!  Guess the problem is that I was only likely to lower PB by 2/3 minutes so the heat will probably gobble up that margin.  Que sera etc.  Not sure about shaving my legs mind, i'm a pretty dedicated amateur but probably not quite that dedicated!
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

I've had a hair cut for race day OO, but shaving legs does seem a step too far for me!!  Agree on the lots of water on head etc..  My first sub3 was on a surprisingly very hot Edinburgh marathon day in 2010.

Seems most people now into the taper madness and bit of MP running.... similar for me, just 6 miles yesterday (2 at MP effort) and 5 today with another 2 at MP.  Tomorrow I will just jog to work (4 miles) and head to the expo to avoid the strike.  Thursday maybe 5 or 6 more miles, with 2 at MP if my legs feel OK.  Then having depleted the carbs a bit i'll stop looking at the scales, and start eating!  Prob won't run again till Sunday morning.

Think lots of hydration this week prior to the day with the temps in the lead up as well!

• Handy indeed Dan.  My sister-in-law is going on my behalf tomorrow (she works at Canary Wharf) so I've avoided the expo altogether for another year.  I knew it was 2004 (I slipped at the same spot, albeit about 40 minutes later) but I wouldn't have known the runners.  Those cobbles were an iconic part of the race!

A final 4 x 1 mile set for me today.  I've been fairly certain the (clockwise) laps I usually use are measured a bit long by the GPS, but to day was a bit extreme: the first and last reps, which each included about half a mile off the lap going to and from the office were in the 5:40s, the two middle ones were in the 5:2Xs.  There's absolutely no way I was running that pace!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Shaving legs - I've stepped over into the dark side: felt surprisingly liberating. I've recently run a lot of Spanish marathons its a common practice. So maybe a new term for the thread 'Doing a Spanish'.  Also SB, maybe a salt sachet a few hours pre-race to add some reassuring electrolytes to avoid cramping.  I forgot in my last but one marathon and cramped for the first time in years.
    LMH/ UDS - how are you feeling post-race, today being terrible Tuesday.   I've seem to have emerged surprisingly well, with my toenails still looking human.
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Charlie - I reduce fibre/fruit/veg for three days prior to the race and took Imodium for the first time on Sunday - all to no avail. Boston was my first race as a 51 year old.

SB - too late now but worth putting in a few over dressed runs towards the end of your training cycle to help with heat acclimatisation, nothing lost if it doesn't turn out to be warm on race day. I'd say make sure you hydrate well on Friday and Saturday, wear a cap and tip water over your head and down the back of your neck. 

I ran a progressive six yesterday OuchOuch but just four this morning as my left ankle and knee were niggling when I walked the dog, felt fine during the run but I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

I hope the strike doesn't make the weekend any more difficult for everyone. I only ever went to the expo once myself - that was enough for me - but it does rely on finding someone who can get there for you of course. Still a bit jealous of you all.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Nothing like the thread at the height of taper-time!

DLR strike is a right pain, but in recent years I've parked in Uxbridge and taken my folding scooter on the District line, changed to the Jubilee @ Westminster, hopped off at North Greenwich, on to the Emirates airline cable car and then scooted up to Excel on the other side. So avoiding the DLR...

Heat adaptation wise, I've been trying out a combo of 20-30mins overdressed treadmill, straight into the sauna for ~30mins. It was tough in the sauna today, but then the thermometer was over 105DegC! Had to call it quits after 25mins as I actually felt like I was cooking :open_mouth: I also find it better (but harder) if you resist the temptation to go straight under a shower/in the pool afterwards and let your body get rid of the heat itself, but it does make you feel a bit odd!

OO - You've got me thinking. Not considered leg hair removal, but makes sense especially with my hairy pins, there could be a decent boundary layer of warmer air next to the skin that shaving would help dissapate....

Good news on the hammie front, I had the customary pre-marathon MOT from 'Golden Hands of Bournemouth' this morning, bits of the muscle were tight and some needling and massage sorted that out. Shouldn't have much to worry about he said. I did 4M (7:30 down to 6:30 miles) this morning pre-physio and there was only a little residual discomfort, 3M on the treadmill at lunchtime was absolutely fine  :)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Go for it Al_P, grows back surprisingly quickly and it does work. Arms as well. 
    LMH - Running aready! Impressed. I will go for a few easy ones tomorrow. 
    Tried an alternative carbo Satuday evening meal, Chicken Biryani - fan-bloody-tastic. 
    VLM runners you have my sympathy - DLR and the temperature!  Taper week is hard enough.
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    LMH - well done on a great time, even though your are disappointed, it is a great performance especially to be your 2nd fastest time.

Well done OO. As a fellow V50, I am interested to hear what you attribute your clutch of PBs and great performances recently. 

UDS - well run and sub 3 will happen next time.

Nice to be reminded of the cobbles at Tower of London. I ran my first London in 1996 and I don't think they even put carpet down that year. I do recall it in 1999 though.

The weather forecast is not great but I console myself that it will be somewhere between the extreme of Gold Coast and Boston marathons - both brutal races.

I am heading to expo tomorrow lunchtime. I may bump into some of you there, or at FGFA start or in Red Lion.

Suppose time to state targets...
  • TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Wardi - #28123 Tadcaster Harriers royal blue/skyblue/white quarters or royal blue club t-shirt.  3:30 ish, otherwise GFA is 3:45 if the wheels get rusty.
    TR 
    DanA 
    CW #1348 Cambridge & Coleridge (white with blue stripes), blue start, A: <2:39 B: <2:40 <C: 2:45
    Joe #1491 Clapham Chasers (White with blue/green trim), Flat cap (Think more old man in the pub than baseball) and garish fluorescent swimming trunks. Blue start. A<2.59.57, B<2.59.58, C<2.59.59
    Jooligan #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start, A: 2:59, B: 3:01:xx, C: 3:02:18 (PB)
    Al_P #1431 New Forest Runners (white with green side stripes), green (short) shorts. Targets: A-2:28:xx B- A PB 2:29:2x C-Sub2:30
    Padams - #1580, St Albans Striders blue/yellow), blue start, A:<2:30, B:<2:33, C:<2:37
    BEJ #1425, Wirral AC (white with horizontal green stripes) A:<2:30, B:<2:31.16, C:<2:34.18 adjusted to A: <2:35 (or top 75), B: 2:38 (or top 100), C:<DNF
    SK -
    CD #1202 Tadworth (green with white central band), blue start. A: 2:40-2:45, B: DBS.
    ES #31568 Unattached (red vest), red FGFA start. A: 2:54, B: 2:57, C: 2:59
    LukeStur - #23643 Lifeguard! (yellow top, red shorts, red lifebouy!), green start. A: 2:44:59, B: 2:45-2:49, C: < 2:55:53 (Guinness World Record) 
    Selbs #1960 uknetrunners.co.uk blue start.  A: <2:45, B:<last year C:<2:50
    TickTock - #32683 red FGFA.   A: 2:56,   B:2:57,   C:2:59
  • Charlie - I reduce fibre/fruit/veg for three days prior to the race and took Imodium for the first time on Sunday - all to no avail. Boston was my first race as a 51 year old.

SB - too late now but worth putting in a few over dressed runs towards the end of your training cycle to help with heat acclimatisation, nothing lost if it doesn't turn out to be warm on race day. I'd say make sure you hydrate well on Friday and Saturday, wear a cap and tip water over your head and down the back of your neck. 

Thanks LMH.  Yeah, i'm going to do my best to keep cool but I am just one of those runners who doesn't do well in the heat.  Bummer but what can you do eh?
  • Hey guys thanks for all your comments re Brighton. Much appreciated. I'm writing my race report for my blog which I'll post a link to later in the week for anyone interested. 

OO ~ I usually don't do much of anything the week after a marathon but felt the urge on Monday to get out on the Elliptigo. I rolling through 10 miles very steadily. I had nothing leave in the legs which was reassuring knowing that I totally rinsed them on Sunday. I could feel the strain in my right leg muscle when riding. Exactly where I felt it go on mile 24. In a way I'm glad it wasn't a phantom ache made up by my brain to trick me into slowing down. I'm also sure it's nothing at all other than the acceleration in that final phase but just made it complain louder. Away on business now so no chance to run early week. Perhaps on Friday. The plan then is to build up again slowly with London 10000 in May. Is anyone else running that? 

SB - I hear you on the heat front. It can undoubtedly have some effect on performance but all the advice already given is the way to go. Salts especially to prevent cramping. And the water on the head. If you have a Buff or similar then having that around your neck and permanent soaking it in water can really make a difference. I ran Western States in 2013 and temps hit 43 in the cannons. It was hell alive. But my crew created this ice bandana which I had around my neck and they fill with ice every station. Every station also had massive dustbins of iced water which they would have huge bath towels soaking in. You'd walk up and they'd put it right over your head dowsing you and bring core temp down. The crazy thing was just a few minutes after down the trail you'd be bone dry again! Never ran in temps like it other than the heat acclimatization chamber at London Uni I used a few times in build up to that race. That was a big mental benefit doing that before flying out into the furnace. 
  • Good to see taper madness in full swing!

I panicked about the heat too, and did a similar session to Al_P. 6M (48min) on the treadmill slightly overdressed, then straight into the sauna for 30 minutes. The last five minutes were very hard, I found myself actually counting the seconds for the last couple of minutes. Hope it's done some good!

MP test tomorrow, will try and find the hottest time of day to run to keep it realistic.

The DLR thing is flamin' ridiculous. I think I will visit the expo on Thursday!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TT - Thanks, that so good of you to say.  In 2016 I ran 4 maras, averaged 3.15 which was fine but wanted to sub 3 again (last one in 2007) so mpw went up from 45 to 65 mpw with the normal ingredients. Then ran 3.00.13 in Jan 2017 in Gran Canaria which was a great boost.  Specifically I would point to: 
    1. A busy race schedule in interesting places (8 in a year). Motivating and trained body and mind to race at a good pace as the norm. Love competing and racing, the travelling, racing with friends/ family, the entire occasion/ experience.  
    2. Largely injury-free - daily iron, fish oil, glucostamine tablets, lost 6 lbs to 10.7, softer surfaces,  calcium (I was out for 2 years with sf), backing off when approaching injury  sleep. I also eat a lot of oranges, beetroot and dark chocolate.  I also use free weights to strengthen my core and improve my race posture, swim, some cycling.  
    3. Marginal gains - best race line, leg-shaving!, race less conservatively, luckily I mainly wfh and actively avoid travel and work smarter. I've a running partner with similar pace/ goals and its a bit hilly around here.  
    UDS - Like the ice bandana. Spot on with the salts suggestion. 
    Weather wise the key marathons have gone nuts this past week.
  • TT - no, I was lined up for a disectomy - basically trims off part of the offending disc that is impinging the nerve. Having read a few things since it seems we have a tendency (esp in the private sector) to over operate (and over medicate) on lower back pain with mixed results. Largely as the pain is so debilitating and hard to alleviate so people are desperate for 'something' to be done rather than to wait it out. My extensive study of the two guys I know who've had it shows one still has pain and a bad back and the other has a floppy foot.  Oh and then there's a guy at work whose wife has had various back ops and still suffers terribly.  Despite not being 100% fixed bizarrely both the guys were advocating the surgical route for me.  Better to be patient than a patient.  Seems there's a reason they say time is a great healer.  I feel very fortunate to have canned my surgery 48hours before it was due after a lengthy consultation with an osteo - whose original position on surgery was that it would be when not if for me.

Enough of that...running wise did a little bit of MP(?) work this morning and pleased to see the HR and pace were slightly under budget for 2:59.  If it was 1.5miles on Sunday I could now confidently predict success.  

The effect of the weather is directly proportional to the amount of difference you think it will make.  The more excuses you have ready at Blackheath the more excuses you'll be talking about at the Red Lion.

As you were.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

they must have had a lot (of excuses) to talk about post Boston!!!

Well done avoiding the surgical route CRAB.  I didn't for my knee back in 2012, and pretty sure all the surgery got me was 1.5 years out of action, but I have now learnt how to manage that better, and like you am trying to avoid anyone messing with my back for as long as possible.  I guess we (the public/amateurs) see so many professionals going under the knife  - and back to it in short spaces of time, we often think that must be the way forward.

Seems that Tim Don has a similar ethos to you though.  Fair play tough b*gger.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/ironman-south-africa-men-2018

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    CRAB - it sounds quite invasive. I tend to be in favour of not having anybody poke around inside me unless absolutely necessary. I suspect the two guys recommending surgery were probably self-justifying their decisions as much as anything else.

I'm enjoying seeing the usual taper madness in full flow, though you're all a lot more relaxed than most at the moment. 
    Heat management is quite straightforward in my book - a bit more salt the day before, douse a hat in water before the off, more water over your head at each aid station, and, most importantly, run to effort not pace. Edinburgh '09 (I think temps peaked in the low 20s during the race - was 15 in the shade an hour before the off) I wasn't even ranked in the top 30 based on pb' and was only barely inside the top 40 at the first mile, but stuck to the above and ran a slight negative split and came in 9th, having spent from 10k to the finish overtaking people.

I've lost 1.7kg in the last week (a lot of it would have been bloat from junk). Currently ~2.5kg off of a decent training weight, and another 2kg or so away from race weight. This week so far has been: 15m Monday, 9+5 double & weights yesterday, 9 with 8 x 10s hillsprints this am with a recovery 6 to come shortly. Ticking off runs as per plan so far with no deviations, which is unusual for me (even for the 8 days I've managed it).
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TT - agreed; water, shade, hat - it's not exactly 30 degrees out there.  Lots of excuses being laid down already.

For those that like a bet, Paddy Power are offering 11/10 Eliud Kipchoge to win on Sunday.  Bearing in mind he's won 8 from 9 (the only non-win was a 2nd in 2013 when it took the WR from Kipsang to beat him).  He's going for the official WR this time, and unless you think that Bekele, Wanjiru, Farah or Adeola are going to beat him, you can double you money to pay for Sunday's drinks & dinner.  Seems a steal of a price to me.
  • Struggling to keep up but loving the excitement the marathon injects into the thread. Secretly pleased I'm not going for a PB tilt and can enjoy the atmosphere instead. 

Looking forward to a good leg shave; that man OO knows what he's talking about. 

Dan - I may well have to get in on that.