Comrades 2018

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well done at Brighton Becca; if it wasn't for volos there would be very few races about! I know a lover of beer who once found a 12 pack they had "forgotten about" - you can imagine how much beer they must have had stashed to mislay a 12 pack! They were well pleased too :)

My hands are well on the mend but my knee won't stop weeping. I drive a desk for work and wear a suit so I have to slap plasters over the scrape to prevent the material acting like a cheese grater, but keeping it locked in for several hours a day doesn't seem to be helping the healing process at all.

I had been working on a special costume for London but haven't been able to advance it due to my various cuts; it would have been ideal for the heat. So maybe I will simply don the charity vest, or my Tasmanian one that just arrived in the post last night. On the other hand I also have some less complicated costumes I could crack out of the wardrobe! The attention seeker in me needs a fix on Sunday!

Hope you had a good Brighton SD. Any news on Mac, Matt & ajd? Matt was doing Boston!

• Becca, yes the medal is great. I don't normally mind the laps at Betteshanger - the scenery is pleasant and there was plenty of birdsong, including a skylark that I managed to spot. But Saturday was difficult - I think (hope) just general lack-of-sleep-and-too-much-work-stress tiredness. Legs are fine - which they wouldn't be if I'd managed to push on during the second half. Oh well, Ranscombe double 28th/29th and that's trail and hills, which should be good. And Three Forts Marathon on 6th May. Then nothing for three weeks; Spring Cackathon gently on 28th May as my final long run before the main taper.

Glad you enjoyed Brighton supporting, and great re. the mislaid classes!

lowrez, for that knee, I suggest a piece of Melolin or similar dressing (from any chemist) held on with some strips of kinesiology tape (it sticks well and doesn't take half your skin off when you remove it, and it copes with fitting over lumpy bits of bodies better than most tapes. Keeping a moist environment can actually help (it allows the skin cells to move across the wound). Good luck!
  • Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Boston done, very non Comrades conditions, driving rain for the whole race and temps just above 0. Great course though and managed to get into the C pen for Comrades.
    Good luck to everyone running London this weekend.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Well done Matt.  It looked grim.  Were the Wellesley College scream tunnel students stood out in that?
  • Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Thanks Becca, they were indeed out in force. Huge respect to the spectators standing still for hours in that weather 
  • Matt, well done! I ran the inaugural Greater Manchester Marathon in similar conditions in 2013 (we had hail as well!) - not easy.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Becca, it was very nice to see you at Brighton.
    I had a nice run practising my 1owrez pacing strategy - target was a sub-4 run, chip time was 3:59:13.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I chatted to Lindsey Parry this morning and got an important piece of information. With the new finish, had they simply changed the last part of the route it would have added 3km to the distance. In order to minimize that change, they shortened the first half so that the net gain was 1.6 km. They did this by changing the route out of Pietermaritzburg slightly (and one other slight change further along)

This has three important implications that we need to consider:

1.) the new start will be less crowded and less bottle necked as it follows a wider road and thus it will be slightly quicker to get over the start line

2.) the course is now a positive split course unlike previous years and published pace guides that all suggest a negative second half.  Be sure to use new pace charts or factor this into your pacing.

3.) The new on-course cutoff times are a bit more generous in the first half but less so in the second. This is a good change but it means you really have to pay attention
  • Slow Duck, that's close! (Reminds me of mine last year: 3:58:35, by dint of running at about 7:30/mile pace for the last half mile or so).

Dannirr, thanks for that info. Good about the wider roads early on.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Loving all the close timings being quoted :) Well done SD.

Superb run at Boston in those conditions Matt :)

So Dannirr; do I read into that correctly; that the actual long standing and published cut-off times are not going to change despite the first half having had some distance shaved off it - half way is still a 6:10 cut-off at Drummond? It does mean a day dreamer like me needs to up their game, if I arrive there this year at 11:39:49 like I did 2 years ago I will have more distance to cover in the second half, mind you I did have 2 minutes and 2 seconds left on the clock when I arrived at the finish line that day so I could cover a few more yards before the flowers come out.

Not had time to find those dressing Debra but poking my knee with a stick is less painful today so I think I will be mended soon.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    No lowrez - there are new cutoff times this year - see below.   But what I am saying is that in the past, back of the field runners had to run fast to meet those cutoff times, potentially putting their second half in jeopardy.  Now, the times are a bit more generous both in actual times and because the first half is a bit shorter

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    The stat that draws me in Dannirr is you still have 6h10m to get to Drummond. That number hasn't changed despite the reduction in distance first half. Two years ago we ran 45.57km to get there and there were 44km left to go. So more generous in time to complete the first half, but not so in having 46km left to do.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Thats correct and that's Lindsey's point.   But it should set the runner up better for the second half as they haven't run too fast in the first half.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Being a worked example myself of that situation then; Drummond in 6:09:49 two years ago, by total stupidity, I'd say its a nigh on impossibility for someone at my level of fitness to get home with 2 more ks in the challenge. It scared the living daylights out of me to have got in that situation but determination and calm got me home in the end with 2m2s left in the bag. I suppose a fitter bunny could achieve it. Don't think we'll be seeing many 22min negative splits on this new route though :) I'll be looking to push through Drummond at 5:50 latest I think, and even that scares me.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Terry, what are your thoughts on the likely temperature for Sunday? Is it going to impact you much?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez, I already checked out By Chole when I collected my number yesterday, so I know where I'm going post-race.  Fingers crossed the hot weather won't slow you down Terry.

My example of the lowrez pacing strategy was Kosice Marathon a couple of years ago where I did 3:39:39 to get Pen C.  
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, most of the race time looks like about 18 - 20 C, but hopefully only partly sunny. That will have some negative effect but should not be too bad for me.  I'm so slow these days that I don't generate as much heat as all of our speedy runners (or those who burden themselves with fancy outfits! :) ).  If I had more endurance mileage in my legs I would actually enjoy such conditions.  Also, thinking positively, that's a so much cooler than Comrades 2013 which I finished in time. (blazing sun, early 30's max, 17C at the start!).   I'm about to go out for a gentle 3 miler 'test' of 22C, as my last run before Sunday. What a lovely calm, sunny day I have here.

I wonder how everyone else feels about the temperature - at least it should provide some acclimatisation for Comrades, whether in London or elsewhere.

Have you decided on your choice of 'outfit'? 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    It should be lovely compared to Comrades 2013 Terry.  No 30 degree heat and no Berg wind.  At least the heat has come a few days ahead of the race, as well, which will help.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Terry good to see minimal downside with the weather.

Seeing as its going to be quite warm I was thinking of something along these lines...A Jabba the Hutt outfit I mean.

Seriously though - serious, what? I do struggle in the heat so I think I will pack the charity vest for Leukaemia Care as a fall back choice. I have some other stuff on order from a famous auctioning site that in theory will all arrive today and tomorrow but not certain of it, could be too heavy material, Snow White (no dwarves), 60s go-go dancer type :). I also have a major project underway to emulate someone off TV from the 1970s, but getting the clobber together is proving extremely difficult for a perfectionist like me. She would possibly have been ready for London had I not taken that trip last week, although my last "fitting" was not perfect, on reflection bringing her out in a full marathon for the first time is probably a daft idea, who knows what chafing opportunities exist, so maybe Chester Half next weekend could be a possibility, only problem with that is the amount of time London will steal from my on-going prep! 

• Just picked up my number and it’s baking outside in London.  DLR is striking from tomorrow so thought it was best to beat the rush while I’m already in town. 

Hurt my neck sleeping funny, 2 days no running ☹️
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

OK JAR you put the Jabba the Hutt costume on and we can run together, me as Princess Leia in my cozzy strangling you; then the neck crick won't look so strange. Hope it stretches out before the big day.

I have no option other than to arrive Saturday and probably walk to the Excel through the desert of sand that London will become in this heat.

• ....just bring the mask  - my current level of conditioning should fill in the rest of it. 

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Lowrez - I was thinking you'd make a lovely Princess Lea :-)

How can those driverless trains go on strike?!  Maximum inconvenience for the Expo. Enjoy London everyone.  I'll catch some of it on the BBC but will miss Brendan's commentary this year since he retired.  Going to be interesting too at the elite level for both men and women.  Wishing you success Terry.

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mac3.  Latest news is that the strikes are off, so travel will be a lot easier.
    Is an 'after' meet up at "The Harp" (or elsewhere) still planned?

JAR and Lowrez, you kindly suggested trying to pace me to sub 5.  However, having at last read my race instructions, I see that this year will have staggered start zones within all start areas (zones 1 - 8).  I put in an estimate for just sub 5 so I think I'll be well towards the back end of the start zones. My previous London Marathons have shown me that most of the 6hr runners put in for 5hrs or less! (That could be me this year, given recent hindsight - I hope not!). The last in those groups are said to start only by 10:40.  That means I'll be way behind you JAR, in the run of things.  It's therefor unfair and not worth waiting for me after the routes merge - and we could easily miss each other in the crowd anyway. There's a slightly better chance of me spotting Lowrez, if I know what outfit he settles on!  :)

I previously said I thought the heat would not bother me too much.  After 3 miles gentle run in 23C yesterday, I'm no longer so sure of that!  B)

Have a great run all those running London or elsewhere on Sunday.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Of the 3 things I ordered only the dress and hat have arrived so far, but the auctioning site did say the rest would be here today, so maybe when I get in from work there will be some more packages! I thought they would be purpleier to match up with the wig and sun glasses, but of course I just look daft in these getups anyway so why am I worried about that? The dilemma remains whether to don it or not in this heat? I suppose the dress is very similar to a running top but its pretty thick compared to the micro thin Comrades gear I wear.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

The sane option would be the charity vest, but there are 150 other impersonators out there too
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I put in 4:59 as a projected finish Terry, so I think I will be cruising through the red start at about the same time as you on is it Green? Is that a logical assumption or not? So I should look out for a bloke in a Comrades cap? Will have the scanners on and sidle up along all candidates :) 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mac I can put down some weight pruning as a contributory factor to my improved speed, but I still have a long way to go, one day, in a galaxy far, far away, if my belly becomes as trim as the Leia that strangles Jabba, I will don that cozzy - its going to be a while though! 
  • Lowrez,  you could consider the dress as some kind of advanced heat acclimation technique?  I hope you're donning nipple plasters in that frock if its heavy- nobody wants to see blood on the dancefloor....   

Terry, I've done so few long runs this year that London marathon is the best way I can get used to spending time on my feet, there's loads of water tables available and the distraction of the crowds so I honestly don't mind. I'm really quite keen to enjoy my day while I'm not ready to race yet. 

Assuming you start 10:40ish, then hitting 7 min/km pace you'll be at the 3 mile marker by 11:15?  I'll try to be there before that (just in case you manage to sneak into an earlier pen) and I'll give it some time afterwards as well.  I'll stand on the left hand side just before the arch (last time I ran it had balloons over the top) 

I'll be considerably more conservative than Lowrez,  my red 2014 Comrades race shirt.  If I don't see you for some reason then I'll assume you've gone past me or something's come up because you won't be stopping to wait.