VLM 2018!!

Comments

• Great, now we have the weather to deal with.

I have not trained or ran in heat, so any recommendations for sun scream and glasses will be appreciated, than I can order while I still have time.

Thank You
  • > @someboyathome said:
    > Great, now we have the weather to deal with.
    >
    > I have not trained or ran in heat, so any recommendations for sun scream and glasses will be appreciated, than I can order while I still have time.
    >
    > Thank You

I burn super easy and I swear by P20! You put it on once and it will last all day, doesn't run either which is a bonus, sunscreen running into your eyes is the worst....
  • thank you, i'll get ordering now then. I hate sunscreen at the best of times but the altenative of burning to a crisp and getting heat stroke seems far worse.
  • Thanks everyone. I'll try to pick up something at the Expo and you're right if it bugs me I can always get rid of it (making sure I don't hit anyone if I do throw it...this is one of my big worries with the water bottles!) I bought some P20 factor 50 the other day thank you rodeoflip for that advice! I would just quite like to fast forward to Sunday now.
  • Interesting bit of data which I hope will take the edge off the worries about the weather for some of you ....

The results show that over the years, the number of finishers has steadily increased – from 88.66% in 1981, creeping up through the 1990s and maintaining an impressive 97-98% since 1996. Last year 98.7% of people who left that Greenwich startline finished on the Mall. And it’s worth noting that weather makes precious little difference to the finishing rate (albeit that it may, of course, effect speed). The warmest years for the London marathon have been 1996 (21 degrees at midday) and 2007 (21.7 degrees at midday) and the finishing rates there were respectively 98.63% and 98.07%.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2015/apr/21/marathons-by-numbers-running-the-data
  • I have just returned home after a 14 mile paced run - I drank a bit more than usual because of the heat.

I read the views expressed by others and rang around a few of my 100 Marathon Club colleagues and followed it up by calling 0207 902 0200 (VLM helpline) to hear what they had to say on the matter - particularly in reference to the Final Instructions which they said were drafted before the weather became an issue.  They will be making further announcements about the advice regarding fluid intake - closer to my initial suggestion.

I completed the 2006 Chicago marathon just before it was cancelled mid race when it was 30 degrees and they had run out of water.  I had doused my beanie at every opportunity to cool my head and it was the right thing to do.

I shall be following my own advice because it works for me - others are free to make their choices.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Sunglasses - Sunwise are excellent, usually around £30 a pop too. Agree about a lightweight white baseball cap for Sunday - you can pour water on it too, really helps.

If you want to be really 'fly' wear it backwards with your sunnies like me ;). The one I have has a longer peak to cover the neck..can't remember the make though..Edit - The Running Reaper, which is basically Headsweats caps.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

The official line remains:-

"Drinking too much on the run can be very dangerous and lead to hyponatraemia (water intoxication), fits and even death.

Drink when you feel the need and do not gulp large volumes of fluids before, during or after the race"

It is entirely likely that in hotter weather you will be thirstier and will drink more. What is key is not to force yourself to drink when you're not thirsty. It's about listening to your body. There is no way VMLM will issue advice to contradict this.

• I agree with

Drink when you feel the need and do not gulp large volumes of fluids before, during or after the race"

It is entirely likely that in hotter weather you will be thirstier and will drink more. What is key is not to force yourself to drink when you're not thirsty. It's about listening to your body. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Exactly Gladrags.

Harmander - Your original advice was to drink more, even if you don't feel like it. I know it was well meaning but it is dangerous.

• HA77,

I stand corrected in not being able to express myself better.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    No worries. Sorry to be a pain but I thought it was worthwhile so that no one got the wrong idea and put themselves at risk.
  • Last time it was hot you had the weather forecasters offering advice to runners - inevitably it was 'drink plenty of water'  - I bet they'll be saying the same again this weekend.

Looking out of the window at constant rain and 12 degrees it seems hard to think it could be hot this weekend just 200 miles away...
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Do you think they'll put out more 'mist' thingies?  Or even just ensure there's additional water throughout?  I'm still planning to run with my CamelBak filled with fairly strong Tailwind (as per my training) but I like to know that I have other options if I drain that dry*.

* one of the big dilemmas is how much to fill it with.  I had 2L in my last marathon, and ran out - I kid you not - in the last kilometre.  That was cooler than Sunday will be, so I may stick with the 2L and take on a bit of water if I need it.  Is the 'over hydration' thing still applicable if the hydration fluid is packed with electrolytes?
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

think there are 6 shower units on course - they may well make provision for more given the forecast. If it gets hot then residents might come out with hose pipes in the Charlton / Surrey Quays bits?

The over hydration is specifically in reference to water. If you drink too much water (ie force it down beyond thirst) then you risk hyponatraemia which is when the electrolytes in your body become too dilute.

• jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Ah, so drinking a lot of something like Tailwind is going to be fine.  Good to know.
  • 2L won't be an issue anyway - but I think the last guy to die of hyponatremia had taken on a bottle at every feed station - so something like 8L ?  Crazy amount. 

Vaseline your feet though - wet feet are more chafy....
  • Could I suggest Sudacreme for feet and other chaffing bits, it’s waterproof and doesn’t wash/rub off so easily, I’m sure we’ll all be fine on the day lol ? 
  • I did 22km at race pace and first took on fluids after 8km.

I lost 2lb in weight - no doubt half of that will be put back on by tonight.

I expect to lose 4lb on Sunday
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    So many water stops already, i doubt any additional are needed, just need to be well stocked
  • As reported by the BBC - London Marathon weather: Sunday's race could be hottest on record

One runner died after collapsing at the 2007 race, and St John Ambulance said it tended to 5,032 people and 73 were sent to hospital for further treatment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/43808217

5,000 people which is 10% of runners, thats a scary statistic

if the weather continues, be safe out there people take all precautions and stop if you have too, just enjoy yourself and forgot about that target time.
  • That is very interesting because according to this Guardian article:smile:

:- https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2015/apr/21/marathons-by-numbers-running-the-data

"The warmest years for the London marathon have been 1996 (21 degrees at midday) and 2007 (21.7 degrees at midday) and the finishing rates there were respectively 98.63% and 98.07%"

I remember 2007 - I think i slowed by 11 mins in the second half and I'll put that down to the heat. 

• The St John's Ambulance tended 5'032 people... if I remember correctly, as I used to know one of the St John's coordinators, more than half the people treated/tended to were spectators.

The article does not say they tented to 5'032 participants.
  • posieposie ✭✭
    Hi, my first ever marathon on Sunday and I'm freaking out a bit about the temperature! I've been running in 3/4 black leggings, think these might be too hot. Any advice - should I buy new shorts (all advice is don't wear new clothes I know) or maybe cut them shorter or just hope for the best! And I've not suffered with chafing yet but in this heat might - is it a good idea to use anti-chafe cream everywhere just in case? Any advice really welcome! :)
  • I would not advice new clothes... I would cut down your leggings if you are worried about over heating.

Also if you get too hot use the run through showers.

Get some anti-chafe cream and give it a little try this week... just to make sure you don't react to it - very unlikely.

Like all things is a marathon, water consumption etc the golden rule is little and often. In previous years they gave out bottles of water before the start, in the assembly areas. Start with one in your hand, and just take sips... I means that you are not desperate for water at the first water station.

• > @"dave wood 4" said:
    > Could I suggest Sudacreme for feet and other chaffing bits, it’s waterproof and doesn’t wash/rub off so easily, I’m sure we’ll all be fine on the day lol ? 

Hi Dave, I have not heard of using Sudacrem to protect feet from blisters, thank you for the advice. I usually use vaseline but this does not always work on longer runs as it is wiped away. I will be calling in at the supermarket tonight!
  • I pretty much always buy new shorts at the expo - as a souvenir and run in them - never had anything go wrong. 

I do slather the likely chafing bits in vaseline anyway - but you find out what those things are from your long runs. Vaseline is very cheap  - I don't think we have Sudocrem any more. Phew !
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

St Johns always used to take the numbers of runners they handed out Vaseline to - perhaps these are included in the 5000 they tended?

Sudocrem days long past - Vaseline always works for me!

• I like the idea of wearing a cap and soaking it.  Also, I have a bandanna I can wear around my wrist and put on over my neck later (again, soaked in water).  Was going to take a couple of sachets of salt or have high 5 tabs. 

I think if people take precautions and are sensible, we'll be grand!
  • KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭
    Remember whether it is hydration, nutrition, blister, clothing, footwear or heat strategy... the old adage: never try out on race day something you haven't previously practiced in training!

Good luck everybody. I'm not there and have never run London... but have desperately been chasing a GFA place since I started running... although that dream may be on hold following the recent announcements.