VLM 2018!!

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Another old adage - if you've got it but don't need it you can always ditch it, if you haven't got it you're stuffed. 

So, hat or visor, you can always ditch it if you're not happy, same with a buff/bandana round your neck soaked in water. My own essential is a towelling wrist band to wipe sweat out of my eyes.
  • Evening all, please forgive what probably seems like a big over-thinking question but blame it on the maranoia. I picked up my race number today and my pen number corresponds to a time that is definitely faster than what I am aiming for now, particularly taking weather into consideration.

So question is: how do you actually move back pens? I read in the final instructions there are Pen wardens who will let you in according to the little number on your race number. So do I go in my original pen and move back (if so is it just a case of walking between them...are they segregated by anything?) or do I approach the warden of the pen I'd like to go in considering I'm not trying to promote myself to a faster pen?

Or should I just stick in my original pen? I'm just worried that with the wave starts and everything that I might get caught up in the fast pace and screw myself over. Currently having strong words with my clearly over optimistic 2017 self.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Little coconut- you can demote yourself- just join the pen 

Harmander- great to meet you at the Expo, hope you found the RW stand? Not running this year but will be cheering you all on near mile 15!
  • No problems entering a slower pen. It's just that you can't enter a faster one. Just go to the pen you think is more appropriate .
  • All my longer runs have been done using my camelbak with water and SIS hydration tablets, should I just take some tablets with me in halves and pop one in the water as and when required?
  • All my longer runs have been done using my camelbak with water and SIS hydration tablets, should I just take some tablets with me in halves and pop one in the water as and when required?
    I was going to to this.  Just take a few tablets and when I get a bottle, pop them in and give it a shake.  

@cougie think I'll give that cooling thing a miss - someone could end up whacking me with a big stick   ;)
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Expo tonight. Bring it on - can't wait. 3rd (and PROBABLY) final VLM
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who has recently developed an addiction to checking the met office forecast for London on Sunday on what seems like an hourly basis?
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Only hourly, rodeoflip?

My GF sends it to me every 8-10 mins :smile:
  • Long time lurker here. Finally got into VLM after 10 years of trying and have done 10 marathons to date and planning this will be my final one in my "home town". Feel as though I've done all the training I can but wasn't really prepared for this weather curveball. Fingers crossed it won't be any hotter than 21C and there'll be some cloud cover. Religiously checking the forecasts here too!
  • And only the Met forecast??  I've been checking BBC, MET and anywhere else that might contradict everyone else and say that temperatures will be 10c with a cooling breeze!
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    The BBC and Accuweather are fairly positive. I don't particularly care about the temp (to a certain extent!) but it's the sun shining which concerns me

• I think if people take precautions and are sensible, we'll be grand!
    That is the key to it all, have a plan and then workout how you modify it depending on conditions, how your body reacts on the day etc.

Take it easy, especially if it is your first marathon. The only prize you should be focusing on is finishing. If you do not do that then all other goals are out the window.
  • I am based in London, and headed out for about 4 miles yesterday late morning. Plan was to simulate the start of the marathon, with a couple of steady miles then try to ease into target effort thereafter for a couple more. As soon as I hit that target effort the HR was too high and it was clear that I am not prepared for warm weather. The thing is most of us have been training in single figure degrees C, sometimes minus, and this is a big jump late in the day.

Two years ago I did Copenhagen late May, and it was low 20's on the day, so quite warm. But two weeks before that I had practiced marathon effort at the infamous hot Hackney half ( 25C plus ) and I think that made a huge difference.

So given today is a scorcher, again 25C plus, I am going to head out mid afternoon today. Nothing strenuous, but any small acclimatization will be welcome at this stage :)

Bottom line though is an initial 3' target that became a 3'05 target in recent weeks purely due to training performance is now a 3'10 target....
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

BBC this morning said there was a chance the cooler weather would move in and there would be showers on Sunday - keep hoping?

Ran through the red and blue starts this morning - portlaoos, tents and fencing all over the shop!

• 28degrees, no cloud cover and no rain that way everyone will struggle and I won't stick out like a sore thumb, lol ?. Seriously though, whatever the weather, please just take a bit of extra time and care, listen to your body and above all have a safe day. Good luck ?
  • The forecast is certainly a little better, not quite as warm. Probably cloud cover rather than cooler temps is the best thing to hope for.

Another good tip, that Dioralyte is a good drink to take with you also. After my mate was given it at the end of London as he was worse for wear, he used it in Berlin as his main drink. Worked a treat.

• Just back from 5 miles in 27C, around Victoria Park. Did some 400m surges at target marathon effort and HR went through the roof. So yeah, hope its nothing like this.......that said, was lovely to be out running in the sun after so many months of shite ;-)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    ^ Same - 3 miles @ MP around St James' Park to get that finish line flavour. Recreating the marathon feel with the amount of people to dodge, but the effort was way beyond what it should be.
  • The latest forecast from the BBC looks much better - a maximum of 20C and cloud cover from midday on. What doesn't help is all the hype in the papers about "hottest marathon" etc. Just hoping that cooling trend is right because it certainly ain't cool here in central London today!
  • 10k at lunch at faster than MP today staying in the sun as much as possible. Blimey.  Is it possible to just run in the shade do you think ? :-)
  • Yes religiously checking weather forecasts, BBC looking most hopeful. Can we just marathon on Monday? I've got my number and eventually found my way out of the expo without buying anything, despite best efforts of salespeople. Good luck everyone!
  • At least the DLR strike is off!!
  • Leading my tour group to the expo at about 14:30 today...

• vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone running on Sunday, hope everyone has a great day.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Expo was good, race number picked up and I'm in Pen 3!! Think I'll be dropping back a couple, want to try and settle with a 3.45 pacer
  • Will the lucozade sport drinks contain enough electrolytes for me to not worry about taking any sis tablets?
  • I will probably drink Coconut water with breakfast on Sunday and maybe drop a SIS tablet into it.....
  • I'm taking some (actually Decathlon's version), but I am like a sweaty pig in a sauna, and frequently cramp up. If you are taking some, remember the water is in 250ml bottles, so you may only need half a tab.