P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning. Forecast still same, but getting more windy from SW direction now! Stupid weather. Still in two minds whether to DNS or not. Eyeing Liverpool marathon in May...
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    Millsy - #32802 red FGFA start. Blue Salisbury vest with Millsy on the front.
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers vest, luminous swimming trunks, flat cap. Blue start. 
    AWC - #42333 Green Macmillan Cancer vest, Red Start
    dct - #31431 Navy with white sash Tracksmith vest and pink Bostons. Red FGFA start
    HA77 - #1606 White and green Bracknell Forrest vest. Blue start.

You took me off the list Joe, are you trying to tell me you don't want me there? Looking forward to seeing those trunks make an appearance again. That's a bugger about Katie. Hopefully she can recover soon and take back the title of best runner in the house.

I'm getting someone from my club to pick up my stuff from the expo. Too much hassle. I've decided to try for 2:45 now, we'll see. Felt good doing 3km at MP yesterday but my legs feel a bit tight, crampy and generally fragile. Might just be in my head.

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hazel - surely you want to be 3299??

HA77 - you’ve got Aussie genes so the heat shouldn’t be a problem... wouldn’t expect less than 2:45!

dct - for some reason I thought you ran VLM last year. Good luck, how low in the 2:50s are you thinking?

joe - bad luck for Katie, Sunday will be good heat training for kona though?

Westy - seen any forecasts for cloud and rain? It briefly appeared on my iPhone yesterday but swiftly disappeared again. 

Got it confused yesterday at excel and went into the wrong hall, some guy asking me where I booked my tony robbins ticket from! Heard he’s a life guru of some sort but seeing the crew running it, it seems a bit cultish. Despite the instructions you do want to get off at customs house as it’s an unnecessary trek from prince regent. Quick pick up though and bought a NB vest, pricey but unlikely to be running this again soon. Disappointed at the lack of real freebies though and not much star power. Last year at Boston I got a photo with Shalene Flanagan and Ryan hall, maybe they’ll come later in the week. Loaded up on electrolyte gels as I got bad cramps last year in the heat. I like spoons and hazels suggestions to keep cool. 

Recovery today.  along the last stretch of the course, never realised how long birdcage walk is, must seem to go on forever at 25 miles. Central London is amazing for early morning running before the traffic and tourists clog it up.  Rest tomorrow and final run on Sat morning

Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers vest, luminous swimming trunks, flat cap. Blue start. 
    dct - #31431 Navy with white sash Tracksmith vest and pink Bostons. Red FGFA start
    HA77 - #1606 White and green Bracknell Forrest vest. Blue start.
    JohnOz - #33047 white vest with black and red stripe, grey visor. Red FGFA start

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    John, there is a possibility of rain and storms on sunday. Be good to get cloud cover, but will feel muggy I think.
    Usually at the expo I get my number and get out straight away, but I'm always there Sat afternoon when its at its busiest. DLR strike still happening I assume.
  • I hope you are not suffering too much post tooth extraction Macca.

Sorry to hear Katie can't run Joe.  That cap might get a bit warm?

JohnOz - yes 3299 would be even better!  Might try to negotiate on that when I pick up my number.  If it is not busy then the people on the other side of the desk often like a bit of talk...

Safe travelling to all those who need to in the next few days.

Did my dress rehearsal yesterday in warm and windy conditions.  Note to self: sun cream!  I initially wasn't fussed about going out in the race gear having worn all bits often enough but then remembered that I hadn't tried out my newish waistbelt in combination with my newish shorts and I hate clothing that doesn't stay put.  Race vest left my shoulders exposed and they are now a bit burnt.  I deliberately went out over midday to get a bit more heat acclimatisation in.  The 2 miles at MP were a bit quicker than intended but not massively so.  Legs are a bit tired at the moment but between now and Sunday I only have 2 short recovery runs to do.  Might drop Saturday's as I need to travel - will see how jumpy I am by then.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    John/Rammers: good job on the MP miles. Did mine Tuesday night in the drizzle - felt good. 20s/mi slower will feel harder on Sunday I reckon.

White cap arrived in the post yesterday - tried it out with a few strides this morning. Am sure it will make a huge difference on Sunday :D

I normally only have 1 electrolyte gel during the race but I reckon I'll take all electrolyte ones on "Sun"day - actually what an appropriately named day for the race this weekend
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Well done all doing the final MP session! Looking like it's going to be a hot one!!

What do we all reckon with Mo saying he will go with the leaders if they set out at WR pace??

Easy 6 mile recovery today.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: think that would be suicidal for him to be honest. But who knows what shape he is in as this is his first proper marathon training block without the track to interfere with it
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just went for a run. It was hot.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    re. with Mo I guess depends what magic dust he's been taking at his training camp in Ethiopia.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hasn't Mo said he's going for British record? He won't be able to keep with the front runners...
  • Looks like this stupid strike might actually go ahead. Luckily I’m staying near Canary Wharf so ExCel is runnable. 

Can’t see Mo staying with the top guys, magic dust or not. I’ll be supporting Kipchoge, although a Bekele WR would be pretty special. Depends which Bekele turns up though!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I wonder if lottery funding still pays for a UKA doctor to travel with him to give him his infusions.

Wind turning more westerly and getting stronger, which is no good. Now only forecast for 20 max which is ok by me. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Don't think there will be any WR - too hot.
    I think to get to Expo I'm going to get Jubilee to Canning Town and then walk, only about 20mins.
    With the heat think I'm going start at 6:50 pace and take it from there, just don't want a total sufferfest and feel all shit after. Couldn't even get a PB if conditions were perfect...so...need to go easy.
    If I turn up!

• dctdct ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    John - was set to try and run it last year but our son was selfishly born the day before. We watched from the maternity ward window at St Thomas’. Also I got a flavour of that Tony Robbins event earlier while at the expo. Not sure what it is but that is an intense scene in there.

Can’t see Mo sticking it out with Wanjiru, Kipchoge, Bekele, Biwott... Blimey a really strong field isn’t it? Shame most of us will miss it
  • Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    dct - #31431 Navy with white sash Tracksmith vest and pink Bostons. Red FGFA start
    JohnOz - #33047 white vest with black and red stripe, grey visor. Red FGFA start
    Macca # 32847 yellow/blue vest with name on Red FGFA start
  • I was a few mins late for my extraction yesterday so it’s been rescheduled, can’t say I’m disappointed.

DCT - your first London, must be your local one ?

Well done on the MP runs Hazel, John, Ram et all.

I read an article yesterday saying Mo would do well to target the British record then go for it at the next Champs. so that’s my opinion.  In terms of big names I would have liked to listen to Kipchoge, I think he’s at the expo Sat. I caught a bit of a radio 1 dj getting her excuses in early yesterday but cynicism aside, when I heard the Chariots tune on entry I did think this is it.

Westy - get yourself down to London, gather as many beer tokens as you can at the expo and go on an all weekend bender ?

Am I the only one stuffing their face?

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: I'm doing a bit of stuffing. I've had 2 lunches - soup/rice/bread at 12 and then chicken salad with potatoes at 3.
  • Hazel - think the cap might cause me to overheat slightly, but I'm committed now so can't go back on my word. 

HA - yeah real shame, she's absolutely gutted. Apologies for taking you off the list, but looking forward to catching up Sunday morning!

Having a mare with the expo, I get back from Paris 6pm tomorrow and need to head straight to the expo (don't fancy going saturday), so will probably have to lug my suitcase 1.2 miles there and back if no DLR running. Bloody warm here, but I gather it is back home too. 

Got a 4 hour bike ride to get done on Saturday. Hoping it won't have an adverse effect on Sunday. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Sounds like definite maranoia/taper madness, HA. My legs have also been feeling so slow and heavy.

John you’re certainly making the most of early morning running whilst here. I’ve been enjoying the photos.

Joe Can’t make my mind up on my cap or not. Wore it today – good for blocking out sunlight, but head felt hotter whilst wearing it. Never really run in sunglasses before, but might consider if sunny.

Nice race prep, Hazel. I also can’t decide whether to wear sun cream on Sunday or not. Who’d have thought I was relatively experienced in this marathon running lark?!

Steve no chance of a WR if it is the hottest on record. Hope it’s a good smack down at the front either way.

Westy ­– keeping us on tenterhooks! When will you decide for sure?

JohnOz - #33047 white vest with black and red stripe, grey visor. Red FGFA start
    Macca # 32847 yellow/blue vest with name on Red FGFA start

Sorequads #32541 probably blue vest with my name on (Josh). Red FGFA start

The forecast seems to have reverted back to that of a couple of days ago – 17 – 19C, but as Westy says, now a headwind on the Embankment. I imagine I am too stupid not to go off at PB pace, but will see on the day. I’ve been trying to run at the hottest time of the day in an effort to acclimatise, and did 6 sauna sessions with the final one on Tuesday. Not sure how much they’ll really help with the reality of 3 hours running.

Wanted to do 6 x lap at MP lap easy at the track on Tuesday, but travellers had moved in! Not on the track itself, but to the attached car park. So the whole place was locked up. Managed to do 4 lots of the equivalent on the school grass track yesterday. A great resource now it’s the summer term – as long as you don’t mind your tracks not flat, of indeterminate length and very boggy underfoot. 3 x 90s MP efforts today over 4M. Rest tomorrow then easy parkbuggyrun on Saturday.

Anyone have any drinking recommendations for 1pm on Sunday? Would be a shame not to make the most of the sun! Would be good to have a forum alcohol debrief. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Doesn't everyone go to The Kings Head on Parliament St, which means gets too packed to get in or get a drink?Usually a beer in a pub is the last thing I want after the marathon, but could make an effort this year seeing as won't have the family with me.
    Still not made a final decision, but am tapering and getting prepared as if I am running a marathon this sunday, and I expect I will go....just not 100%. Final decision will be made at train stn Sat morning.
    Not really carb loading, I think hydrating may be important though, so might get some sports drinks for extra carbs/electrolytes. 
    My number is 32251 and I am on red FGFA.
    I am undecided what trainers to wear, lighter/faster ones..or heavier/comfier ones...was going to wear the lighter ones but now not really targeting a time might just wear the heavier ones with more support, which might enable me to be able to walk to the train station afterwards...something I've really struggled with previously.
  • How about we try and head to the Red Lion? I know some from the sub 3 thread go there (and some of us post on there) so it’d be a bunch of weirdos from the internet all together ;)

went for a 4 mile run after work in Paris. 29 degrees. Feeling really weird at the moment, like I’ve completely forgotten how to run..
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good news - DLR strike is off!
  • Great news about the strike. Which Red Lion Joe? There are quite a few looking at Google Maps :D
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    The one on Parliament St...Theresa May likes a pint or two in there after work.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    I think the one Joe means is opposite Downing Street? Keep the Fuller’s vouchers from the expo, Spoons, for some free beers! 

Like Westy I’ve got no family going this year, so keen!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Red Lion will be packed - you need to get a sub 2:30 if you want to get to the bar....
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    I’m supposed to be meeting a few guys at the Red Lion but I would think it’ll be mental in there afterwards. 

Think i I get free champagne at the Macmillan after party so might head there but if I go to the RL I’ll keep an eye out for you guys. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    A couple of ears ago I ran 2:57 and ‘‘twas fine to get served in Red Lion. But I’m easy going and more than to sample multiple bars... before the coach of doom back home.