My Last Run

Comments

• Nice speed work Andrea.

Sorry to hear about the non-running stress Nessie.  

Nicely put JT.

Gentle 6 miles for me yesterday evening with my group - 8 of us this week which is a very good number at the moment.  One new guy who seems to fit in very well.  Another lovely evening - cycled to the meeting point and back for the first time in months for a bit of extra warm and cool down. (3 miles each way).
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ugh Nessie, the last thing you need is that kind of stress now. (Though I guess it detracts from the maranoia at least...)

An exceedingly warm 6.2 miles (I'm old so I'm Imperial) today. Not wearing shorts was a mistake, but as least I had a T-shirt on, unlike the bloke I saw plodding along in sweats and a hoodie. Had to dodge several dogs and a large group of silver-haired ladies walking with poles. Nice run though, with no noticeable aches or pains. I don't envy the London marathoners, but it should be a little less warm than today.
  • Just a T-Shirt Cal?  No trouser type thingies?  My sometimes overactive imagination went a bit busy when I read that.

The so-called dress rehearsal over lunch today - deliberately went out in the strong sun and warmth to get used to it a bit more.  6.84 miles (well it was 11km.. ;) ) with 2 miles at mara pace.  Was hungry setting out already so I went into lets get it over and done with mode. 

Wore my intended race gear as I worked out I hadn't yet worn the combination of shorts and waistbelt (for carrying gels as there are only two aid stations handing them out on the course).  They worked well, no slipping around or riding up. 

Warm and windy - came back with a red face clashing with my team vest.    I'm also not sure if red socks go well with bright blue shoes.  Do you have to be well styled to run a race?    I'm sure the red socks are faster than the black ones. 

Brief break during the warm up phase to pat two alsations who were a bit worried about me sneaking up suddenly (head wind prevented them and the owner taking note of my presence) but a few quiet words and a walk and they were fine.  Owner was very apologetic but it was as much my fault for not making loud harummphing noises or similar.

2 short recovery runs to go now.  Might drop the Saturday one as I have to travel. 
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Sounds OK Hazel!? I also did a test 5 mile in the heat today, it was around 20 degrees, which it is forecast to be on Sunday. I tried wearing this visor thing that I found in a drawer that I bought from Decathlon a while ago. It felt OK actually and might help. If I hate it on the day I'll lose it.  I felt I got accustomed  to the heat after a while, but I am now worried my lower back is niggling again... hopefully it's just maranoia..
    I'll probably do 2 miles on Saturday to ease my nerves, then that's it
  • Another 6 miles for me tonight, in under an hour. Lovely sunset over the local marshes and then some glowing, moonlit Lobelia on the way back. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Nice 4 miles last night, extension of my local (Tonbridge) park run route. Beautiful evening.

That is MLR before Sunday now - good luck to anyone doing VLM on Sunday, enjoy it and take it all in. It is a phenomenal day/achievement
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    LOL Hazelnut... I had running tights on. But I'm sure you realised that.
    Shorts today, though! I did 7 miles at 9.15am and it felt pretty hot. I made the mistake of not taking water with my (I hate wearing the bottle belt so I usually only use it for long runs) and got pretty thirsty. I'd have happily run further were that not the case.

I hope all you hardy souls running this weekend have a cooler run. Or at least, go in prepared. I reckon it'll be carnage in London on Sunday. The African runners will dominate as those buggers are used to it.
  • Today at 1pm a 5.06 mile mostly tempo run  was done. Averaging 7.28 min/mi pace around the big park and the little park. Not a fig was given about the sun as running in the sun is fun fun fun...

• Well silly old me tried to do 6 x 800 metre speed reps today! 

I did a slow mile warm up, then managed 4 reps before giving up! 
  • First of all in case you aren't on here much before Sunday:  Good luck to Nessie and snewma!  Nessie I will also take a visor rather than a hat - hat retains the heat too much.   Don't forget the suncream if it is sunny!

Nice run Will, it really is a lovely time of year.

Agree on the bottle belt Cal - I either wear a camelbak for longer runs or have a bottle I can shove in my Flipbelt - only takes 300ml though.  Other than that I plan my route around known water sources.

Not so sure about the fun in the sun - Stephen.  A bit of shade every now and then is nice as well!

Hmm that is a tough session Andrea and 4 is a good achievement already.  I've only been doing regular reps in the last few weeks and am certainly no expert.  Are you giving yourself enough recovery time and doing the recoveries nice and slow?   Walk a bit if you must initially but then jog very slowly.        

A 5 miler at recovery pace with a few strides for me this morning.  Had to drop the car off at the garage so a pleasant bit of multi-tasking.  Cool and peaceful across the fields and through the woods (with the exception of a gang of chainsaw operators in the woods).  Nice to have the running done early.
  • Am heading off in search of Spring migrants on the North Norfolk coast for the weekend, so I will just wish Hazelnut, Nessie + Snewma all the best for your marathons on Sunday. Hope it's not too hot and you have a great day!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    V wise to test run all race kit, Hazel.  And almost there, Nessie - the Saturday pre-Mara short run used to leave be feeling like I'd run much further.

A mile into my standard 4 over the coastal park & up the beach, I hit 18000 miles logged on fetcheveryone.com.  I joined in July 2008.  More mundanely, it was Day 842 of this, my 3rd Streak.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    9.9miles tonight in 1hr13. Ran just after eating tea which gave me the weird energy slump a couple of miles in. Lots of people about. Got overtaken by a runner, which I am absolutely fine about...
    Good luck Hazel, Ness and snewma for the weekend.
  • Good luck to all the marathon runners! I'm so excited to watch it in tv.

well the mid-week speed work and dry ground helped me achieve my fastest parkrun time for this year- 23:40, only 44 secs off my pb..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Andrea. Did my fastest at Tooting this year too (actually my fastest since I hit the 50 age group) - 27:06. I decided to do my local as (despite being flat) it's a slow course due to the high volume of runners, and I didn't want to hammer myself too hard two weeks post-marathon. I did fine though - nice even splits.

Good luck tomorrow folks! I'll be watching on telly.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the wishes all!
    I'm nervous, excited, ready (I think!!)
    My number's 54391 if anyone wants to track me.
    Hazel- have a super run! And snew too!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Following your training here Ness you're absolutely ready. You and Hazel enjoy yourselves. And snewma keep your natural quick pace on a tight leash for the first 2/3rds and you'll have enough to complete in a great time without being cooked by the 20s. Good Park Runs Andrea and Cal.
    Beautiful day out. 10.4miles in under 1hr16. Pace drifted a little at the end. People everywhere.
  • Morning run done. 10 miles. Up to Alexandra Palace and back.

Saw one of todays Marathon runners all kitted out with race bag and shiny new race number. He was getting fussed over by family and friends before going off.  Gave him a thumbs up. Got a thank you back.

The weather forecast predicts a little rain from 14:00pm to 17:00. Temperature at 21 degrees during that period. So the majority of the runners will get cooled but will also be a bit clammy. Swings and bloody roundabouts.

Best of luck. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles for me too. Today's run was a stark contrast to yesterday's - yesterday was pretty much niggle free, but today they all came out to play. Achey lower back, achey hamstring, hurty left foot...oh and I rolled my right ankle at one point. The cherry blossom was nice, though.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Just tracking Nessie - she's through 15K now. It's very warm.
  • Went into town to see the Marathon. Placed myself @ the 400m to go mark. Saw the winners and the runners up come home. Also some of the wheelchair racers and the para-athletes. Such dedication. Left before the mass as thats when the crowds appear and im not happy in crowds. Will watch on telly maybe. Got photo of Farah breaking the mens Britsh record. All them people are seriously hard
  • Yes and the rain is not appearing and the temperature  isn't dropping. Hope the mass runners realise this isnt the day for pbs. Just beat the runner in front and stay ahead  of the bugger behind.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nessie's just finished. I could see from her splits she was getting slower and slower so the heat must have been pretty awful. I hope she's OK. She did 4:44:37 which, funnily enough, was the exact time I ran at my first marathon at Manchester in '16, when I went to pieces after 20 miles.
    I'm betting the first aiders had (and still have) their hands full today.
  • DNF for me today, my first ever.  Bailed out at between 7 and 8 miles feeling crap due to almost no sleep (wrong choice of hotel) and the heat.  Might have been able to struggle round to a massive PW but didn't see any point for me personally and it wasn't going to be getting colder.  Well done to anyone who got round today.
  • Well done for making the right decision for you Hazel. You will come back stronger for it.

Cal, every single person I tracked was getting slower and slower as it went on. Completely understandable on that heat. I thought the elite lady who was leading for most of the way was going to collapse over the finish line.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah if Mary Keytani struggled, regular mortals were definitely going to. Even Mo said it was hot, and he's been training in Ethiopia.
    Hazelnut...sorry to hear that but sounds like the right call.
  • Hope that Nessie and snewma are ok and are recovering well. 

I'm trying not to overthink my DNF but I do feel a bit of an idiot for not have even trying to get round.  The lack of sleep really knocked me flat though -  I slept most of the way home on the train in the early afternoon and several hours more once getting there - and I only ran a third of the race.  I didn't even get to the getting far too warm stage. 

Anyway:  trotted out for 3 and a half miles this morning before breakfast.  I'm not generally a morning runner but it would be a good idea to start to try doing regular runs for heat avoiding tactics.  
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Hazel, hope you're okay now.
    Ran a solid race, very happy with 3.57. Sub 4 was the goal, but in that heat I doubted I could do it. Splits were consistent, and with 6 to go, knew I could afford to walk a bit each mile. I had to, the heat was searing.
    What a race though, my 3rd and final VLM, and I feel very content!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant, snew! Congratulations!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Ness and snewma (must have been satisfying coming to the line comfortably before it clicked over to 4hrs) getting round the VLM. In the heat and humidity it seemed a war of attrition. Hope you made the most of the free food. Bad luck Hazel - Zurich marathon(?) but I guess under the same hot weather system. Don't beat yourself up over it. You're ability and endurance aren't in question. Some days it's not right and if you're body has gone at 7miles something isn't right. Another 19miles is just damage.
    My body's not right, but never was so what can you do... A blustery cooler day. 10.15miles in 1hr15:30. Overtook a cyclist who in turn overtook me who in turn I overtook.