P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I think Chandos near Trafalgar Sq is a popular post marathon pub too...
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy with the Red Lion. It's on the way to Waterloo for my train home. I know there are 2 other Red Lions the other side of the Mall, one of which I went into last year whilst waiting for the coach and it was empty, so a good option if people want somewhere quiet.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    A forum pub debrief sounds good. I made it to RL last year quite late on. It was still pretty busy, even though I'd had a massage & food at the MIND reception, but I did get to the bar & had a couple of freebies. Everything round about will be busy so might as well pick one & meet there. 
    Good news about the DLR strike - it'll make things a lot less stressful Sunday am.
    May see you at the Expo JB. Driving to Leytonstone tomorrow after work then biking over to Excel.
    Backed right off the mileage this week but kept myself sharp with some intervals. 5M w 6x400m@HMP/400m recovery on Tuesday am then 3M RR on the track, 7M w 2@MP yesterday afternoon. HR was about 3-4bpm too high but I was on the TM with 2% incline at 2:30pm in the greenhouse (gym) & pace was more like 6:40 so I'm not too worried particularly as Spoons mentioned something about elevated HR during taper. Today I did 3M w 4x400m on the track at 1:30pm in a black polo shirt. It was a tad warm! Planning similar tomorrow but just 2x400m then a STEADY parkrun at Wanstead Flats Saturday.

• dctdct ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yes Macca very local. Lived next to the top of Greenwich Park for years - about 500m after the red start. Just didn’t take up running until 2015. All my old mates will be out and about the 6-mile mark... got a long way to go from there though.

Really excited.

John - I honestly don’t know. Didn’t really get much MPing done in training. Just plan to run as hard as I can for as long as I can and then hold on...for as long as I can. After that? Use my five beer tokens I picked up this morning. Need to get back for both my sons’ birthday, too.

Have I missed others’ target times? HA eyeing 2:45, Joe eyeing a sandbagging sub-3, Westy eyeing up which trainers to wear.  

Good news on the DLR strike.

Cheeky 5m before dinner to try and keep the carb-filled pounds off.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the parkrun PB attempt Jools  :D
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Shoes again Westy. Haven't we been here before ....... a couple of times? I'm always one for light shoes but sounds like the comfortable ones might be the go if you're not worried about times.

Yeah, agree there SQ. Jools taking it easy at parkrun ..... pffft!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know HA. Same old anxieties. I really don't get on with lighter shoes, but it's just not the done thing to be wearing big plodders in the GFA field.
    BBC now has it mostly cloudy on Sunday morning which will help significantly. 
  • FBT - Sounds like you could do with a longgggg sleep

The threads gone weather talk crazy, it all changes after the weekend

Sales of caps etc must have gone through the roof this week!

Wonder how many others will stand on the start line of London having done a 4 hour bike ride the day before like Joe?

Just over 4 miles yesterday, was sweating buckets, very hard work. 20mins on the indoor rower today after seeing the physio. Recommended some rest and reckons its just my vastus medialis irritating the kneecap. Personally think theres more too it as it's been enlarged for a while. We'll see

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    It'll be a course PB for sure as I've never done Wanstead before.
  • Good luck to everyone at London, I've lurked mostly and enjoyed the incredible progress of most (amazing Manchester marathon by RSR). I am now about 49% likely to rejoin the fray for the Autumn re-run, so I'd like to hear lots of inspiring tales from London please  to get me to a majority decision of 'aye might as well'.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Spoons - #32655 (red FGFA). Yellow vest with navy piping, stupid sunglasses, and possibly a red visor if it’s sunny.
    Millsy - #32802 red FGFA start. Blue Salisbury vest with Millsy on the front.
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers vest, luminous swimming trunks, flat cap. Blue start. 
    AWC - #42333 Green Macmillan Cancer vest, Red Start
    dct - #31431 Navy with white sash Tracksmith vest and pink Bostons. Red FGFA start
    HA77 - #1606 White and green Bracknell Forrest vest. Blue start.
    JohnOz - #33047 white vest with black and red stripe, grey visor. Red FGFA start
    Macca # 32847 yellow/blue vest with name on Red FGFA start
    Sorequads #32541 probably blue vest with my name on (Josh). Red FGFA start
    Ramjet #25423 white vest, white cap, yellow shorts. Blue start
    15West #32251. Red FGFA start
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    6 miles recovery today.

Got a bit carried away in Decathlon getting some warm weather running gear. Bright yellow shorts, white vest, white cap, electrolyte gels etc. It had better not turn cold!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I bet its fun living with you 15West during taper week ;-) haha. 

• Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Scott - you are right a long sleep did the trick....

Moving house Friday and saturday so perfect pre marathon rest really.

ML84 said:
    I bet its fun living with you 15West during taper week ;-) haha. 

I bet its fun living with westy during any week!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I bet it isn't.
  • John - was that you adding Yuki to the podium on marathon talk this week. Think you did Kipchoge when he was doing the breaking 2 project? Made me chuckle.

5 miles along the Seine this morning. Pretty much forgotten how to run so revising the target down to 4 hours. Will head to the expo this evening, probably there around 7pm. 
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just about to catch the train up to the big smoke. 
    Calf feeling better but will use Southwark parkrun as my fitness test.
    I will be heading to the red lion in Westminster to spend my voucher (if you still get them) and meet friends and family.
    doesnt get rammed there until after 2pm.
    nice to see the strikes been called off.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

ML84 - Are you racing on Sunday? I know you were aiming for 2:30 last year, how's that going now?

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone. Another beautiful day. Standard rest day today, but with a bit of walking for afternoon Games sessions.

Solid percentage there, Muddy. Hope you go for it!

We've got to see a picture of the bright yellow shorts, Ramjet

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Wish I had bright yellow shorts instead of black ones
  • Hi all

Disgraceful sandbagging from Joe

Stopped off at the expo after work last night. Day off today. Just back from a 5k jog.

Taper has been fine. Running has felt a bit flat, except for the dress rehearsal, which was a confidence builder. Been nice to pick up other hobbies that took a back seat for part of the training.

I'm a bit non-plussed to find myself in pen 1 on blue when I am sure that I put 3:30 down on the form. Maybe 3:20 but definitely nothing sharper. If I read it correctly that means I will be in the wave ahead of the 3:30 train. I'm ok with that as would prefer to find my own pace and avoid congestion, but a bit concerned about getting in the way. Can I move back on the morning?

My first time carb loading has made me realise what a high carb diet I eat most of the year. SiS Go energy bars are disgusting but the free porridge from the expo goody bag was decent.

Anyway hope you all have a great race. I am still going out at 3:30 pace whatever the weather. I am reasonably sure it will be too rich, but it might possibly be close. By the time I know it will be too late to change plan.

Millsy - #32802 red FGFA start. Blue Salisbury vest with Millsy on the front.
    Jooligan - #26012 Blue/White MIND vest, Green Start
    Joe - #1491 Clapham Chasers vest, luminous swimming trunks, flat cap. Blue start.
    AWC - #42333 Green Macmillan Cancer vest, Red Start
    dct - #31431 Navy with white sash Tracksmith vest and pink Bostons. Red FGFA start
    HA77 - #1606 White and green Bracknell Forrest vest. Blue start.
    JohnOz - #33047 white vest with black and red stripe, grey visor. Red FGFA start
    Macca # 32847 yellow/blue vest with name on Red FGFA start
    Sorequads #32541 probably blue vest with my name on (Josh). Red FGFA start
    Ramjet #25423 white vest, white cap, yellow shorts. Blue start
    15West #32251. Red FGFA start
    Andy #11521. Blue start. White vest, blue cap, black shorts
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    BBC forecast got a bit warmer and sunnier....
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just bought some Soreen, so I guess I am carb loading after all...
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jacket potato and chilli so I’m carb and protein loading

Lunchtime Recovery Run felt terrible. Sweating buckets, heart rate too high, legs felt like jelly. Brain saying your doing 26.2 in this you madman. Standard taper run. 
  • Good to hear that the DLR strike is off.

Wish I could join you all in the pub in London.  My post race beer will probably be on the train home.  5 beers would lay me flat without doing a mara beforehand.    Out of practice.

Nice pre-mara work Jools, enjoy your parkrun PB.  

Let someone else do the work for the house move FBT?  Bloody hard work.

Yellow shorts sound nice ramjet.  

But westy's Soreen malt loaf even better reminds me I should eat some more carbs.

Jacket potato and cottage cheese for me AWC - chilli sounds a bit dangerous?

5 miles recovery for me this morning - had to drop off my car to get the winter tyres switched to the summer ones (about time too considering the temperatures!) and ran home with a few bits added on including some strides.  Lovely morning but already quite warm by the time I had finished.  Bloody temperature is still increasing for Sunday for Zurich and no sign of clouds...   The quick dip in the lake is gettting ever more attractive (now up to 11 degrees).
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hazel - I have a chilli every week so I’m well adapted to it! Rice and chicken tonight. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great one Macca. Why am I not surprised.