Sub 3h15

Comments

• My money's on you opting for the Carmen Miranda outfit again Poacher.

Good discipline at Expo southwarkrunner

Good news about the DLR strike being called off - would not only have impacted people getting to the Expo but would have significantly thinned out the crowds on the Isle of Dogs where plenty of support is needed.

As others have said, super hot in London today. Fortunately I'd already decided not to do a gentle commuting run in favour of a rest day + Boris bike. Forecast is looking a bit better now - light clouds, 19 degrees and breezy according to the BBC site.

Easy with strides planned for tomorrow morning.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Great reading some of the stories here. I've been offline for a couple of weeks and there's been a gazillion posts in the meantime!

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed in the GFA adjustment. 3:15 might have been an achievable goal for me this year, <3:10 however is still out of reach...

Anyway - last weekend I had the Canberra marathon. Conditions werent as bad as Boston, but to someone who's trained through a Brisbane summer, it was bitterly cold (about 6C) and very very windy.

I decided to have a go at staying with 3:15 pacers and see how long I could hang on. By 15km I knew I was going to have to ease off  'cos it wasnt sustainable. My feet had only just started to be felt after thawing out, but my fingertips were still uncomfortably cold. The wind was swirling around and on occasions seemed to threaten to blow me off my feet as we ran through a bit of parkland with a couple of large grey kangaroos stood upright by the roadside blending in like any other marathon spectators. I let the pace group move ahead of me and slowly creep further forward, but figured I'd try and stay vaguely in touch. 

At 20km we merged with the half marathon crowd who started a lot later than us. All of a sudden I went from feeling a little lonely to feeling crowded. I love that - and my pace picked up a bit and my confidence grew as I passed by the pack of slower runners. We crossed over the lake to the northern shores and turned to the west along a freeway.

Unfortunately the west was exactly where the wind was coming from - and the running got tough, a few km's further and the half marathoners turned around. I was left 25km into the race, on an exposed freeway, all alone, heading up a hill for 2kms and into a 40kmh headwind. My spirit was broken....

Needless to say I kept pushing on until our turnaround and the tailwind coming back was pleasant - but the damage had been done. I knew my race was now an attritional exercise. At 30km we remerged with the half marathoners for the remainder of the course, but this time although it was nice to have people around, my arrogant air of superiority was all gone. The wind was hurting everyone - but I had failed a basic rule: "Run to conditions"

I crawled around the remainder of the course with each subsequent km slower than the last. 
    First half 1:37
    Second half: 1:50
    TOTAL  3:27:10 (12min slower than goal time)

After gathering my composure in the finish area, I put on my jumper and track pants and realised the Com Games marathon was on the big screen with a crowd watching. Callum was just coming up to the Southport bridge with nobody in sight - so clearly he was going to win. I've run the course many times and knew he had very nearly finished. ... Then he wavered... and fell. The crowd watching all gasped and held their breath, staring in disbelief at the scene that unfolded with almost everyone collectively yelling out "Get him an ambulance NOW!".  When Michael Shelley finally passed him and took the gold the celebration was quite muted. This wasnt an Aussie victory - it was a scary reminder that what we do is really tough!!!!

To all you guys and gals running London - if it *IS* hotter than you're used to learn from these lessons. Adjust your goals! Dont try and take on the weather AND your PB expectations at the same time. Good luck everynody - I cant wait to hear all about it

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Dadagain - Sounds like a tough race! Well done in the conditions. How many people do the marathon? I wouldn't have thought you could end up alone in a big city marathon but I suppose 26.2 miles is a lot of space for runners to be spread out

I have a couple of newbie London questions:

1) - What time should I aim to get to the start? Was thinking of getting the 8am train from Charing cross the Blackheath

2) Is it worth family coming to Blackheath with me or are they better off heading to their chosen place on course?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great report DadAgain. Sorry to hear you're disappointed at not hitting your target but bloomin' well done for posting a decent time despite the broken spirit mid-race. probably takes more guts and drive than if it was all going to plan. Congrats!

The forecast has gone up a degree or two on BBC but Yahoo weather still maxing out at 19c. 
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - 988 in the Canberra Marathon (I came 148th). It’s not a “big city event” by any standards!!!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Ah that makes sense! There was about that many runners in the recent half I did and that was fairly quiet.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, 8 am is about right. take in the atmosphere etc. Personally in my view there are enough runners trying to get to Blackheath at that time, without lots of family and friends taking up train spaces. 

At the Birmingham Mara there were over 6000 finishers and I was running pretty solo from about 18 miles.

Weather forecast heading in right direction now with cloud cover.

Dad again, well done on touching that one out!

woke up with slight headache. thinking it might be the sudden onslaught of carbs as my intake has been quite low for a while. My last weigh in yesterday was 10,12 which is lowest I've been in many years. 

leaving for London shortly. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all

enjoying the countdown from my "retired" viewpoint :/    I'll say good luck to you all now, as I guess some will be offline next couple of days . . .   

Dad - well done coming through a tough day, and thanks for posting the report, after not getting what you wanted.  Like you say - our sport isn't easy  . . .  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks Birch always good to hear from you.

Pibster I started on the thread with 3:15 and dipped under 3 hours 3 times. Now I'm on my way up again. The 3 main things to make the improvement will not surprise you. For me it was more miles & more focused mara programme, weight loss (4-5 lbs), and experience.

I'm also on Blue- not sure what you all look like- I'll be wearing the same vest as my avatar above taken from last years race. Target is 3:05. If not I'll be at P meeting point and then upstairs in the pub, left hand side as you face the bar.

Dad again I'm sure you might be a bit disappointed with the time but sounds like a tough race. As you say we have a tough sport and no distance is crueler than the marathon- so pecker up chum.

Good luck guys & hope to see some of you in London.        

• I will not be on here again before Sunday so wanted to wish everyone running good luck.

I'm nervous today. Friends, family and colleagues have been sending good luck messages which brings things home a bit. Marathon training can be a lonely pursuit at times but there really are people looking out for us

Break a leg all
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

I will wish good luck to everyone before you all sign off at the weekend, hope to see some of you at the start and maybe in the pub afterwards.

I will be wearing a red vest with Myton Hospices on and also my name printed. Please come and say hello if you see me I will probably be bricking it Sunday morning!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Hi all

Apologies from being awol for ages yet again....still not much running going on from me I'm afraid.  Keeping things ticking over, up to 10 miles longest run each week currently.

Anyway, just wanted to wish all the VLMers the very best of luck on Sunday.  I hope the weather gods aren't too unkind - looks like the hottest weather should come after you've all finished anyway.  I was half tempted (as I have a non-deferrable place) to get my number and attempt a run/walk strategy, but in that heat and with my grumbling Achilles that would just be stupid, so I am going to kick back, put my feet up and watch the action on tv instead.

DBS people :D

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone for Sunday.  Make sure you take the conditions in to account and don't be too aggressive chasing targets you trained through the winter with.

And don't forget we do this for fun - so enjoy the day!

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Good luck all who won't be checking back in. Hopefully be able to meet some of you at Chandos for a pint - if you see an ugly bald guy looking lost and dejected; that'll be me.

Temp has peeped back up a bit. Let's just get this done quickly and make the most of the sun in the afternoon!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    just done expo. Blue pen 1 as anticipated. 

Yep temp nudged back again. It's swltering today so as much as we don't want Sunday's weather, it could have very easily been much worse as tomorrow is due to be same as today.

I'll be in red vest with blue vertical stripe. I will also have DT on the bottom corner of my best, front and back. Had a stinking headache all day and I'm thinking it's because most of my fluid last 36 hours has been orange juice and sports drinks. 

good luck all. 
  • Well I am 48 and ran 3'14 2016 in Copenhagen then 3'13 in VLM last year, my PB, so have benefited from GFA. The new rules basically take 5 minutes off that target. Now if the weather had stayed cool I would be aiming for 3'05 but now I think that is pushing it to say the least. Have trained in an average temperature of 6 degrees until this week, the jump is too much in terms of running at the same effort.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice run dad, been to Canberra, experienced the wind, that must have been a tough day.

Yes good luck all. DBS. It ain't worth worrying too much about the weather, there is nothing you can do about it. I was working in London/Brighton today and it was pretty hot in both.

I know it's going to be a killer, but for anyone with a 7hr20 PW the pressure is off.

Nicko - if feeling lonely in Chandos, go upstairs then to the far end past the bar (OO that's the far right corner isn't it?) - that's the nominal meeting spot.  If you see people looking disgustingly fit and fresh, it could well be OO and Lorenzo. If you see a zombie on a stretcher under a mound of soggy fruit, it could be me.

And finally - can't let Birch use words like "retired" without raising an eyebrow....
  • I was out at 6.30am this morning for an easy run with a few strides and it was already getting warm, although during the day it's been pleasant in the shade. May well look for a parasol to carry on Sunday.

Looks like there may well be thunderstorms and rain overnight on Saturday which could at least diffuse (is that the word?) some of the heat.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Dadagain nice report shame the conditions were so tough but you did your best so well done ,there is always another race when you recover !
    Paulefc you only need a 3:10 now and 3:15 when you are 50 so you still have a good chance of getting back in again soon .

Goodluck everybody for London no point chasing impossible new gfa targets you haven't trained for in over hot conditions , it won't go well so just run your own race ,the bar has moved up so you will just have to up your game in the future if you want back in ,nothing you are not capable off !!!

5k tempo in 22 mins with the club last night ,coach said not flat out so I didn't plus I wasn't totally sure of the route so had to hold back a bit lol

• Decisions, decisions - is it still worth starting out at 7 min/mile pace and seeing how it goes or backing off a bit for the first few miles? Feels like the latter might be more sensible, but I know I find it difficult to be sensible when I've got a number pinned to my front.

7:15s will get me round in 3:10 which in the circumstances would be a decent result; achieving a negative split would be a good revised target to aim for.

G-Dawg: are you still aiming for sub 3:05?

Gentle parkrun with MrsL round the Denbies vineyard this morning - very pleasant.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    In the same boat. Might just make a decision in the morning when I see what the weather is actually like. PB was in hot Paris last year but we started earlier in the morning; and at least had some warm training days. When it comes down to it, I won't be able to control pace in the first mile anyway.

Quick 2 this morning to blast out the carb bloat. 6:45/mi, quite effortful.

Whatever pace target ends up at, my beer target remains the same. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Orpington parkrun this morning. 21.16, legs like jelly,  felt like dying slowly inside the burning core of the sun. Car thermo only said 17 degrees. Yikes!

Decision: DNS due to illness - or run and tough out a slow one with a lot of walking. Probably the latter.

Good luck all - above all, DBS
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've just been sat on embankment in sun and temps are about what they'll be tomorrow. It feels fresher today but in the sun very hot.

The normal decision making part of my brain is saying scale it right back. The running decision making part is far more reluctant. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    my current view of Tower Bridge.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    The Shard? DT?

Lorenzo - defo not going for 3.05 as I sweat too much in the heat and know I will fade badly. I'll play it by ear untill we get through Rotherhithe and see how I feel. I'd really like a 3.14 as that's GFA for New York.

I studied my Boston race from last year. It was a good 26c that day and my splits started to fade from 8 miles. The hills at 20 were brutal and I faded further to score a 3.19. Four splits were over 8m/m.

London won't be as warm and doesn't have the hills. I'm in better shape and had a good taper whereas for Boston I was injured and only did 3 runs in the final 2 weeks of taper.

Not sure if that helps anyone but I'm trying to draw positives from it for tomorrow. 

Good luck, everyone. Can't wait for it to be over and enjoy a much needed stress busting beer!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Just stopping by to wish everyone the best of luck for tomorrow and to say Lorenzo your training has gone very well, you seem to be in very good form. We're all only one run away from what could be potentially our best ever. If it was me I'd go for it. I cope well in the heat though and although 20-21c is probably a bit on the warm side it's not too extreme. I'm sure you'll manage it very well. Maybe see how you feel after the first 5k which is downhill iirc? Anyway, I look forward to hearing all about it. Gutted I'm not there. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Best of luck those running in London tomorrow. This may help you with some pre-planning so you can have a few options depending on how hot it is.  Can't wait to read  your reports. Play it safe above all. https://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/temperature-calculator/
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Good luck to all the VLM runners tomorrow. Make sure to get the sunscreen on and pour water over yourselves at every opportunity. I find taking a few paracetamol helps keep my body heat down in warm weather, as its antipyretic.  

I ran 11.5 miles today including an 18:51 Parkrun. I’m eating low carbs today and running the ‘Not London Marathon Marathon’ tomorrow, glycogen depleted. It’s all part of my training for the 24 hour event in June.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes, Shard.

I'm sat here on Bond street and it's cloudy and feeling great. I'll decide in morning. A big part is whether it's sunny or cloudy. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Queuing at Padella in Borough Market for London's best pasta, good news is there appears to be some rain coming and it really doesn't feel that hot even today.