Getting off the road

I am reading Vassos Alexander's book, Running Up That Hill. Its a book about his ultra running experiences in races such as Spartathlon and the Dragon Back Race is Wales. It got me thinking about getting off the road and running the trails. I must admit, its something I never do. I tend to stick to roads when running but I have now been thinking of getting off the road and possibly looking into trying some fell running. How many people drop off the road from time to time and head into the hills for a run?

Tagged:

Comments

• I think a lot of it depends on your ability and proximity to the fells etc.
    I don't mind light trail running - but my ankles and ability aren't up to running fells. Walking them is hard enough !
  • I think a lot of it depends on your ability and proximity to the fells etc.
    I don't mind light trail running - but my ankles and ability aren't up to running fells. Walking them is hard enough !
  • proximity wise I am pretty close 15-20min drive to some good areas but ability would be my big draw back. I wasn't planning on doing big runs out in the hills or any big events I was thinking just a the odd 5-10k or something to break up the road running
  • For me - a 20 minute drive to do a 10k would probably put me off. I'd rather just run. 
  • Give it a go AlexGive it a go Alex ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I see what you are saying and I will very possibly feel the same after trying it a couple of times. I do like the idea of it though and am looking forward to trying out some routes
  • I live within 6 minutes run from the New Forest, and do most of my training runs there, rather than on roads. There are many hills which help improve my strength and endurance. I'm not a fell runner, but prefer off road races, to road. I do all my long training runs in the forest, but agree with cougie that it is probably not worth driving for 20 minutes, just to run 10k. I suggest though that it would definitely be worthwhile, if you intended doing longer training runs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Alex - why not start by running some of your training on the public footpaths near your home, look them up if you don't already know them, local parks, nature reserves or just those through the local woods and across a few fields. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I just read that myself - it certainly got me thinking about an ultra at some point. It's quite hard for me to run trails as I'm in London but I'm fortunate to have several commons within running distance so I can get off the hard paths for a good spell, at least.
    If you're near some fells, then give it a try.