Centurion Running NDW 50miler

Just signed up, anyone else done it before? Or doing it?

Comments

• I've done it before.  The first 24 miles or so are very runnable, then you get a double whammy of Box Hill and Reigate Hill one after the other.  It's a very scenic route with great views over the North Downs.

I've done 3 of the 4 Centurion 50 mile races and personally I found it the toughest (I haven't done Wendover Woods.)

I'm going back next year.
  • Will be my 1st 50miler, at the moment 11 marathons and 3 x 50km.  Glad I picked the toughest one lol...

Glad the 1st half is runnable, aim to get to 25 miles inside 5 hours and hope to finish from that point.

Heard good things about Centurion hence why choosing them as my 1st 50 miler, think I'll try and recee the route where I can, don't live too far away (Hertford). 

Don't have much of an idea re training but will probably stick to my normal marathon training 30-40 miles a week with an extra long run some (alternate) weeks to back to get used to running on tired legs.

• Centurion events are very well organised and supported.  The aid stations are well stocked and the courses are always very well marked, I've never recce'd any of the courses and have never got lost but familiarity with the course is always worth while.

I thought it was the toughest of the three that I've done but others will disagree so it's all relative.

Also, get used to eating solid food while on the run and see what works for you.

Back to back long runs seem to be what most people advise, maybe try and throw in a couple of easy paced marathons as training runs in the build up.

Once you've done one you won't look back, they get very addictive.
  • I have 3 marathons over 3 days in October, (Atlantic Coast Challenge)   Have done a few 50km and haven't had too much of a problem eating and running however towards the end I'm struggling.  Have Manchester in April but hope to race that for PB, may try and squeeze in a slow marathon in the 6 weeks between, depends on recovery.

I'm saying I only want to do one 50 miler but know I'll be back for more. Heard good things about Centurion

• And then you'll start looking at the 100 mile races they organise ;)
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm in for this one and the SDW50. I have run both before and found the NDW quite a bit tougher. I think it's the flat first half that luls you into a false sense of security where you head off abit quick.

with 3x50ks under your belt it wont be too much of a step up.
  • Jamie, have already considered the TP100 for my 1st 100!!!!...

Millsy seen a few people in their blogs/ review of the race say exactly the same thing about how it gets tough from 24 miles onwards

Just did one of Saxon Shore events cakeathon at Ranscombe park, 2850ft elevation over the marathon distance, having previously ran 17 and 13 miles two days prior. 

Looking forward to reecee the route early next year!

• I've booked the TP100 a while ago, it's already sold out and they're operating a waiting list so if you are considering it for next year then get your name on the waiting list.
  • we'll see how the 50 goes 1st of all, then maybe for 2019
  • If you're going for 2019 you may as well go all out and go for the grand slam ;)
  • Jamie that's my plan ..:)
  • But doing the 100s 2018. 2019 is undecided  
  • we'll see how the 1st 50 goes 1st before any grandslam!!!!

Have already decided after the 50 miler going to do some speed work over the summer and try and improve 10k and half marathon times, not done many of them for a while.

Good luck loulabell

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I've done the NDW100 where I seem to remember all the pain and some of the worst hills were from about mile 80 onwards which I realise isn't much help to you folks!

I vaguely remember the first 11 miles of the 50 being reasonably easy going and the last 4 or so, but in between there are a lot of short sharp climbs in woods and along woodland edges, Box Hill at about mile 25 perhaps being the steepest?

It's chalky so in wet weather very slippery.

At about mile 34 at Merstham it's important not to miss a small back alley on the left behind some houses which takes you across the M23 in the right place.

My next Centurionrunning event is Autumn 100 in a little over three weeks.
  • Had a little trot from box hill to oxted today, good news was it has dried out with just a week decent weather!

Trex unsure of the alleyway you mentioned but managed to find it  
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Good.  The whole group I was with at that point in the race when I did it went right by the alley and continued some distance.  I realised we were wrong because we were crossing the motorway at the wrong angle, and we had to go back.

I think that was the only navigation error in the first 50 miles.  What happened in the next 50 I'm not telling!  It went wrong almost immediately after leaving the 50-mile CP ...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    All the best for Saturday, everyone.  Let us know how you got on.