P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning. Was on for a good night's sleep until VLM's weather warning text woke me up. Feel pretty crap, let's do this etc.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone, going to be scorchio so take care out there. See you on the other side!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone, going to be scorchio so take care out there. See you on the other side!
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Good luck all! Might not be a day for PBs so have fun out there
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good luck all. Careful, could  get messy out there.
  • DBS guys! Good luck and be prepared to revise times if needs be due to the warmth

Look forward to hearing all the reports

About to head out for a walk to watch some of the Southampton half/marathon. Absolutely biblical storm here last night but that's all cleared now so will be a warm one
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    3:14:28. Just happy to survive. Way too hot to race a marathon 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    3:14:14 - I wanted to stop from mile 8. Death march from mile 20. Aarghh!!
  • Brutal last 19 miles 3:23. Lovely beer.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    On train. 3:02 for me. Slowed dramatically. Thought I was going to pass out on the mall. Apparently Manchester nice and wet and cold, can't wait. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    3:25 after 1:29:xx 1st half. Heading to RL now after post race massage & refreshments courtesy of MIND.

• dctdct ✭✭✭
    Sh*t. I’ve learned that you can’t take the piss when it comes to marathons. I PBed my half time in 1:23 and change and then clung on for a 2:59:27. Nearly blacked out in shadwell, missed a drinks station because I had my eyes closed, had to stop, found a discarded Lucozade on the ground, downed it and dragged myself through the last 10km or whatever it was. Dark times but still absolutely thrilled to sub-3 in that heat. Good work finishing, you lot.
  • Well done to all who got round today, conditions sound brutal. 

I DNFed, bailing out at between miles 7 and 8.  Almost no sleep due to crap hotel and too hot left me feeling crap there already.  Didn't see much point in struggling round the rest. 

Hope some of you are enjoying those beers!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Hazel.
    Well done duct.
    My weekend has just been improved immeasurably by being allowed to sit in 1st class due to A/C not working in carriage I was in.
    Farah did ok.
    Saw quite a few casualties today, I was nearly one of them.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Hazel.
    Well done dct. That heat was brutal today
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Went to Kings Head but it looked busy and intimidating, Steve Way and his posse, so went to MacD's instead.

In hindsight, maybe I should have DNS'd the marathon and saved myself some £££, but drinking tinnies on 1st class almost makes up for it.
  • Great effort everyone. Was a bit toasty! Saw quite a few people being stretchered at the finish, hope there were no serious medical issues. 

Great work to get sub-3 in this heat DCT. 

I was feeling good on sub-3 pace up until mile 10. Then I slipped on a Lucozade bottle and thought I’d screwed my ankle up. Some walking and slower running cleared it, but by then sub-3 was gone along with any motivation to push. Nearly dropped out at mile 15 but stuck it out, with lots of walking, for 3:19. Manchester was definitely still in my legs, felt worse after this than after Manchester!

Nice to catch up with SQ, Joe and HA at the Red Lion afterwards. Luckily Joe had put on more appropriate shorts by the time he met my dad :D Sorry I missed others. Glad I finished it now, but don’t plan on running two marathons in two weeks again!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone! Ironman marathons are always hot so it’s nice to see the runners suffering ?
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Well done all. Looked brutal so congratulations for just surviving it!

Sorry to hear that Hazel. Hope you are ok?
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Hazel. Sounds like you made the right decision.

Well done dct!

Well done to all the others who finished.

I set off at about 3:05 pace but decided at halfway that it wasn’t going to happen. I didn’t see the point in killing myself for a 3:10 so just went with the flow and tried to enjoy the race.

I did go slow enough to see Kipchoge and Mo coming the other way which was a bonus.

I went through 20 miles in about 2:26 so a 49 min 10k would get me a sub 3:15. Should be doable.

At about 40K the 3:15 pacemaker came past and gradually eased into the distance. No need to panic - he must have started before me!

At this point my calves started twinging meaning that cramp was around the corner. No big finish for me then.

Finally made it to a Big Ben hidden by scaffolding and the right turn into Birdcage Walk.

This is the best part of the race and I loved counting off each 200m after the 1K to go sign.

I managed to speed up a bit on the home straight and ended up fairly comfortably under 3:15 at 3:14:28.

I have never had so much water or nutrition in a marathon. I took water or Lucozade whenever it was available, took 5 gels and always emptied the water bottles over my head. I don’t enjoy all the faffing about at water stations but I think it was necessary.

As a final sting in the tail I missed my train home. Don’t ask how much the replacement cost!

So that’s me done with marathons for this year

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Rammers-sounds like you made some very sensible decisions out on the course. Very good effort in the conditions-well done! Shame about the train though.....
  • Never ever wanted to quit a marathon as bad as that before.......and that was at Mile 8! Only thing that kept me going was I had to get my bag. Heavy legs from brighton last week, Dehydrated and hamstring cramps . God knows how I got round that!
    hazel had the right idea ! If you drop out , how do you get your bag.... race report to follow...( its not pretty reading)
  • Sorry to hear of the DNF Hazel

Well done to everyone for finishing, times are almost irrelevant considering the heat. I suspect there will be some good reports in the next few days

Conditions today looked brutal, looking through the top few hundred or so mens times, I struggled to find anyone who didn't slow significantly in the 2nd half. 

Got out for 30 mins myself this afternoon, and certainly couldn't imagine doing a marathon in the heat

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Hazel. 

Some great running all round in brutal conditions. Well held on DCT. 

3:00:00 for me. LOL. Full report tomorrow.  

Great to get a couple of beers in with the P&D crew - none of whom actually do P&D. Will post the photo for posterity when I get some more reception. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    FBT - I wanted to DNF at the same point. No idea how I made it to the end

Rammers: same as you I went for water every time. Sometimes 2 bottles. 

Hazel: sorry to hear that but I totally get it. Wanted to stop and walk a few times myself. 

Awful cramp from 15 miles onwards. Could only run as fast as my legs allowed. The gels helped but wore off quickly. 3:27 - I’ll take that today but I only got there because of the crowd and family.

Macmillan cheerpoints were unreal. As soon as they saw my vest they were chanting my name. Had to slow down after I saw them each time as the cramps started again

That was more difficult to finish than my ultra last year  :D
  • Really sorry to hear about the DNF Hazel.

Well done everyone, sounds like there were a lot of tough days.

Mine was a baptism of fire. 3:47:3x after splitting in 1:44:xx so I couldn't even get back in sub 2. Conditions were brutal, but compounded by rookie mistakes - not adjusting goal pace, not slowing down when it started to bite too early and I need to think about nutrition and hydration as I was sick to my stomach during and after.

The pace felt unsustainable by half way but I kept plodding on, losing a few seconds per mile. Then at 15 a gel went down really badly, and before I knew it my pace had dropped loads and I couldn't find any more. Battled on until 20 with my belly doing somersaults, followed by a lengthy portaloo stop. After that I couldn't get going again, and it became a case of just grinding out miles.

I'm disappointed as I feel I could have run better, even today, if I had been more sensible. Hard to say though, and the conditions were certainly a big factor. I will be back again pretty soon as I don't want to leave my marathon record at that.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I think I hit the wall (or bonked) in the last few miles...just felt like I ran out of energy, could only shuffle to the finish, like running through treacle etc. Was not pleasant at all. Once I got some food and drink down me at the finish I was fine, legs were fine, no problems with feet like normal. I think I'm adapted enough to survive a marathon in normal conditions, but I'm not at all used to running in the heat and it just sapped my energy, the body uses energy to keep the body from overheating.
    The only thing to do about it is do all my running in hot temperatures or wear loads and loads of layers...or alternatively just don't race when hot.
    So nice to be home. I wonder how bad my DOMS is going to be...at moment I'm ok, just a bit tired from booze on train and when I got home.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    i should've taken note when warming up- 7:10mm goal pace reps clocking up 10k race heart rates. I thought that had to be race day adrenaline but by a few miles it was clear that you had do slow down - even then I didnt dial it down sharply enough and couldn't get my heart rate down. 
    Paces drifted inexorably and i was at 8mm by 21 miles in. At that point an ambulance had to cross the route and we all slowed to a walk. It dawned on me that it was more about  just finishing so I switched right down to a shuffle with a walk break every coupon of miles, and offering a kind word to the despondent now and then. 

Made it in 3:40:xx though looking back I suppose 3:30ish was on the table. Meh. I guess I know a bit more about running in heat now - if 10 degrees c is ideal, then 10 degrees higher= add 20 mins to goal time

This was meant to be my last marathon for a while while I focus on my 5k time. Hmm.

well done to everyone who saw it through, and sorry to hear about the DNF