Sub 3

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dachs - well done on the PB, I saw your name in the results. I agree, your PB should be a bit quicker than that though!

UDS - great report, really captured the various emotions experienced during a marathon.

• Dachs - nice to hear from you, and that is a fantastic PB at Brighton. Sub 2:30 surely beckons.

CW - I had spotted the wind speed increases in the forecast. Hopefully it's a bit of a cooling breeze at least.

Obvious taper madness here - tightness at the back of my right knee and some right foot pain on today's slow 5M. The run didn't aggravate either any further though, and I managed some strides afterwards as well. Got a massage tomorrow anyway so hopefully that will get rid of any residual tightness. HR was more in the normal range for the pace today as well, so perhaps the saunas are paying off!
  • Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello all, it's been a while :)

I shall be at London again and adopting a policy of ignoring the heat, getting on with it and trying to hang on to Al_P  for as long as possible! 
    Taper madness in full swing and have had a couple of days off due to niggles. Will try a prog Parkrun tomorrow to see how they feel.

CW - I've been reading about shaved vs hairy for heads, legs etc. and there doesn't seem to be much consensus. I know that I feel much cooler when my head is freshly shaved so have done my legs with the hair clippers - Mrs S isn't too sure about it really. 

Good luck to everyone and will hopefully see some of you on the Mall :smile:
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Dachs - Congratulations on the new PB

I did 4M early this morning with 4x200/200m and then a clippy sub-6 mile and got in the sauna later too for an extended 45mins sweat fest. Expo done and dusted this afternoon with a delightful cross london tube trek either side. Bumped into Wardi on the platform at Canning Town. Managed to get round Excel without buying anything, but sampled a good range of energy bars! Holed up in High Wycombe now, will also be doing a progressive parkrun in the morning followed by a final sauna session (there's one right next to Wycombe parkrun!). 
  • LukeSturLukeStur ✭✭✭
    2 days to go. Sorry not posted for a while so won't be able to comment on everyone...

Great race report UDS good to see you didn't let those 6 seconds ruin your day.
    RS - good to hear you'll be there on Sunday - still on the 100+ mile weeks?
    LMH - great showing at the real Boston Marathon, and love your tagline by the way.
    TR - gutted for you mate after all you've put in to the campaign. Come back stronger.
    Al_P - glad the niggle has cleared up after an impressive PB.
    TT, Al_P, Padams, CW, BEJ - you all sound in good shape after some serious training training
    Dachs - amazing PB at Brighton

Not looking forward to 3 hour coach trip then crossing London in the heat to get to the Expo tomorrow.

Forecast looking acceptable, more annoyed about the change of wind direction (why does that always seem to happen at London), as my lifebuoy is good at catching the wind!

Looking forward to a cold one (or 2) at the Red Lion ;-)

• Dachs - nice shiny new PB there. I would have seen you coming the other way around your mile 19. I was miles behind!  :dizzy:

CharlieW - re L10000 well I can't be sure (haven't run it before) but that's what a club mate suggested. I won't be at your level but hope to break 37 and PB. At your speed I think you would absolutely have a clear run out front. 
  • CW/UDS - a clear run at the London 10,000 is unlikely, there are always lots of people in pen 1 who shouldn't be there.  That said, it does clear after a km or so and helps limit the over-enthusiasm off the start rather than wreck a quick race, if you see what I mean.  Depends how close you can get to the front of the pen, really.  I usually end up around 10m back.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Lol - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43837954 

If anyone wants to swap places tomorrow and do a 6m run in Cornwall in 12C (wtf) do let me know!
  • Thanks a bunch OO.  I'd just about managed to erase that image.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Just back from a gentle 5k down to Westminster Bridge & back. All that is now left to do is to find an allotment somewhere in Southwark, where I can sit in a greenhouse for an hour and join in with the sauna experiences :p

At least the Baywatch costumes will seem appropriate for the weather.  Any Beach Boys singalong planned?

Cracking marathon Dachs, sub 2.30 is definitely within your reach.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Wind speeds for vlm? That really is trying to find things to worry over.

I'm witht he sensible ones, run to feel or HR, control the controllables, dont worry about the uncontrollables, and the finishing time is a result of controlling the process.

Enjoy yourselves. It works for Chrissie.
  • Just popping in also to say good luck to all running tomorrow. Looking forwards to reading about all the tales of triumph and perseverance. 

• coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to wish all of you running tomorrow the very best....hope you all smash it.

Enjoy the run...2007 was my first LM and tomorrow will be in similar conditions....you don't need me to tell you want to do.

I'll miss the day (would have liked to have continued the 10 in a row streak), but couldn't get motivated to even visit the expo...last 12 months have been tough on running, health and personal life and work seems to get ever crazier

I won't be at the Red Lion, double header football match for middle coro. Enjoy your well earned pints, I'll be thinking of you all
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Cheers Coro & SJ!

UDS - That's a great race report on your blog, really quite an absorbing read ?

Final prep here in High Wycombe, with a moderate parkrun on the Rye followed by a good half hour + in the Lido sauna (only around 90DegC quite a lot less hot that the test of the week, but probably a good thing the day before). parkrun was meant to be progressive, but I went off at the front to see what the pace was like (and you can get stuck in traffic if further back) and it turned out fairly manageable, so I followed the leaders for the first 2k working up to 3rd place. Gradually caught up and then popped a surge in to take the lead. Made a bit of gap so eased off and ran the final K steady into the finish for 18:08. Overall a nice little leg sharpener for tomorrow hopefully!

Had the clippers/shaver out on my legs and arms last night, definitely made a noticeable difference running today and I got sweating faster in the sauna too.

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow, look forward to seeing a few before in the champs tent and after in the Red Lion!
  • Hey guys need a bit of help. I have a championship place at London so I'm on the blue start. I want to pace a mate who is in the green and is desperate to achieve a sub 3 after a few tries... I know the green and blue merge just before the end of the first mile but wondering if our plan is feasible or should he just go with the official pacers? Sorry never run London before. 
  • Good luck everyone! I'll try and make the red lion at some point to meet some of you officially. I'll be in my trunks before the start, so quite easy to spot! Will have a clapham chaser vest on though, don't worry.

In a departure from a normal taper, just back from 75 hilly miles on the bike. Legs feeling pretty heavy, hoping they sort themselves out sharpish! Really looking forward to it.

Thomas - If you gun it off the champs for the first mile (I reckon a sub 6 should do it), and then go just past the merge with Green (they come from our left) and wait on the left hand side you should be able to see him I'd have though, just tell him you're waiting on the left just after the merge. 
  • I'll be enviously thinking of you all racing tomorrow and looking forward to reading the reports. DBS. Above all remember to do your nest to enjoy the day - whatever it gives you.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the PB Dachs!

Thanks for the intel on the London 10K CD. I guess 10m back isn't too bad, I would have feared much worse.

And nice to see you various rogues dropping in to wish us well.

I shall be at the Red Lion, though a bit peeved not to have got any London Pride voucher in my goodybag (while some picked up stacks from the registration desks in previous days I understand). Ah well, I probably owe them some hard cash by now.

Sweepstake on whose names and faces I fail to link tomorrow? I am rubbish on that score, apologies in advance. But look forward to seeing some of you, and best of luck to all.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Best of luck. Don't be shit!
  • piscatorpiscator ✭✭✭
    Not that I've posted here for more than a year but...have a great run everyone tomorrow and DBS.

I am running London for the first time since 2013, setting off around 3:05 pace and then will see how it feels. No real time target - success will be a well-paced race.
  • Good luck all, be careful with the weather yeah? Just be sensible etc etc..Was thinking about it today, just doing an 8 mile tempo at HM pace, 2.26/7 marathon pace. Don't know how folk can do it.

So I think the plan is to be outside the Red Lion around lunchtime - white Ralphy polo shirt, jean shorts- possibly with a bag of tinnies! Say hi as I only know what Padams looks like!

Then it's off to the Ship n Shovell to meet the Herne Hill lot. Busy day....

• Good luck everyone, DBS. See you in the Red Lion!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone. See you on the tele and the tracker. 
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Quick check in post race, in short 2:33:15 for 53rd. Went out ambitiously at sub 2:30 pace which lasted for about 8-9M before I realized my heart rate was already above marathon average. Moderated the effort after that pointwith TR's 'control the controllables' mantra echoing in my head, it wasn't a day for heroics! Focused on keeping cool and enjoyed the atmosphere as much as possible. Great to catch up with a few fredders in the sun outside the Red Lion afterwards (PP, SC2, Ticktock, ES, Njord and CW that I can recall!)
  • That's a great run Al.  As for me, not my day really.  Went off nice and easy, certainly no heroics in mind.  Going OK, if slower than usual, up to around 17 miles when I realised I was feeling quite dizzy and I could feel my hear racing a lot quicker than it should have been.  So I backed it right off, stopped for a chat with Mrs CD just after 18 miles and then just got it home slowly.  Closest I've come to DNFing it.  3:04 in the end, which is irrelevant really.  I was absolutely wasted afterwards, I spent 10 minutes just sitting with a medic before summoning enough energy to meet the family.  I did get to the RL but I was just sat on the ground with some water and pint.

I don't know what that was all about.  Sure the heat was a factor but I've done plenty of acclimatisation, that can't be the only reason.

So unless I can pull something out of the bag at Chicago that brings my run of champs starts dating back to 2006 to an end.  It's been a good run!
  • edited April 2018
    On the plus side junior ran 18 minutes for the 3 mile mini marathon to finish 57/170+ in his U15 race, so he's quite pleased with himself.  The standard at the sharp end is ridiculous, the winner ran a little over 15 minutes.
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Well done Al - sounds like a very sensible approach.

Hope you can work out what it was CD, as you say shouldn't have been dehydration with you running to effort and keeping it easy - and I doubt very much you started dehydrated or failed to take advantage of the water stations? Well done junior.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed folks at RL and congrats CD for even finishing feeling like that, impressive kahunas.  I got there and just felt too sore and Beers in my garden at home with people to look after me felt more appealing so I walked on (looked mad busy too).  I’ve checked some times for those names I know and bejesus CW that’s an impressive run congratulations.

As for me I missed A, B, and C targets but still relatively happy with 2:52ish.  Controlled I thought through to 20ish then just couldn’t push on so a gradual slide.

my days (I mean day) off champs start looks a one off! Nice to experience it though.  Back to GFA next year.

hope others had a nice day and decent runs.  Love the nice weather for the crowds and afterwards!! But hard work.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well that was horrific; worst state I've ever been in during a race (and I've been ambulanced before).

Well done to all those that got round, good time or otherwise.

CRAB nursed me through the final couple of miles, as I was tottering badly, Callum Hawkins style. Ironically it was me who was moving sideways.

Didn't really think the heat was a problem (drank and doused at every opportunity), but I've had 8 pints of liquid since the finish and still not even remotely in need of a piss.  That probably has some bearing.

First 10k at 2.45 pace felt fine.  Last 2k took 20 minutes.  No point over-analysing.  It was what it was, and in the grand scheme of things, I don't suppose anyone gives a sh!t.  Same time next year  :D 
  • Electric SheepElectric Sheep ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi All, also quickly dropping in to announce my result. 2:55:17 for 686th place overall. I think it speaks volumes for conditions on the day that my 2015 time of 2:54:47 was only good enough for 1149th place. Needless to say I am very pleased - pacing was even throughout, 1:27:13 first half and 1:28:04 second half. Also for the first time ever, I didn't get a single muscle cramp in the entire race. So I will be paying much more attention to salt intake in the future!

It was really great to chat to TkTk, PPAl_P, CW, Njord, DanA and thread legend Marders at the Red Lion. Sorry if I missed anyone else.

Two weeks off running for me now, then I will be looking to target an Autumn Half. Marders suggested Manchester - will be taking a look!