Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    True enough :smile:

Should be a grand day out anyway then Matt, but a bit of a shame. I reckon you'll get carried away on the day and do the full thing though :smiley:

I've got to try and squeeze 4 parkruns in before my birthday, so the one after will be my 50th at fifty...

Nice to be running in the warmth today (not nice for Slough though SG eh?) and also the mud has really firmed up - which has made a big difference to pace!  Also odd how one day can make such a difference niggle wise - my back and hip were really bad yesterday, but OK today. On the downside, the bloody cough is back -thought it had gone, but it kept me awake half the night...grrrrr!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    If you were a horse bus , I would fear for you :)

dachs, you mentioned running with a midlander.  Was it Karl from birchfield by any chance?  I'm in a what's app group with a few mates and he is in it too.  Said you worked well together until you pushed on. But only caught up until the last 800m.  Said you ran well and that sub 2.30 is a certainty for you.
    He posted this , are you sure you are younger than me !!!  :). :)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ah Bus, but why is the cough back?

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Well done Dachs. Like others have said sub 2:30 looks like it's definitely on the cards, perhaps it was just the lack of arm warmers, that caused you to struggle to bring it home the last few miles.

Personally I would have absolutey rinsed the expenses.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    But Dean, if I was a horse at least I could out-run you (at least until I was shot!) :smile:

Ric - that is indeed the question! I'll be trying to speak to the GP today for the results of the x-ray.
  • Bus - Hope that's ok mate.

Nice 1980's filter on that photo of Dachs too.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, clearly you have what the Victorians called 'Consumption'. This is likely as you are like all of us, 'consumers', and possibly; due to excessive effort and humongous levels of fortitude, actually consuming yourself.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Simon. Bloody GPs is closed for training though!

That 1980's filter even seems to make the shorts shorter :wink:
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean ... feel free to put up a picture of yourself in the middle of a marathon rather than a glory 2-lap race and we can compare perceived ages ;)

Yes, it was indeed Karl.  We shared the load well early on, and he fell away then came past again in the latter stages.  I suspect he backed off a bit when he needed to to preserve something for the end, which is what I should have done!

Joe Bloggs - yes, he had 'Ollie' in big letters on the back of his vest, so I guess it must have been.  He was one of the few at the pointy end of the race (along with the winner) who seemed to judge the race just right.

Cheers all for the comments.  I'm hungry to get back to marathons now, as I feel like I'm on the verge of getting it right.  However, won't be until next year now.  This is a stark difference from my last one, when I didn't want to face another marathon for years.

Bus, how the f*** have you only done 46 parkruns?  I've done 49 for goodness sake!

Simon, well run at the relays.  That mass start sounds like a total mess - how to alienate all of your competitors in one fell swoop.

• Just to butt in for a moment, the Ollie Garrod you refer to Dachs is a bit of a local running celebrity in these parts, mainly because he's racing all the time - 2nd at last year's Brighton Marathon, then he ran quicker two weeks later in London.  He's always paced them well - I ran with him when he did his first one and he just pulled away in the last 10k like he wasn't suffering at all.  Thoroughly nice chap.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Saturday is my lie-in day Dachs :smile:  Most of those 46 were done after tumbling out of bed with a bit of a hangover!

• Another Ollie Garrod stat. He is 2nd male (3rd overall) on the list of most parkrun first place finishes. And as CD says, a bloody nice bloke.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/mostfirstfinishes/
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Dachs said:

Dean ... feel free to put up a picture of yourself in the middle of a marathon rather than a glory 2-lap race and we can compare perceived ages ;)

HA! agreed...but wasnt this photo taken at the 3mile point  ;)
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    If the sea is to our left, it can't be earlier than about 10 miles.  Looks to me like 13-14 miles looking at the position of the pier in the background.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That guy is a lord?!
  • Has OG got ginger hair? If so I have raced against him a couple of times over the track in SAL and Rosenheim league.

Track last night - felt really tired Weds and had to walk some of the way home, so wasn't sure how it would go. session was 16 x 400, 4 sets off 80 secs with 2 mins between sets. First one of each set was about 70, then the rest about 68's with the last one (of all) 65. Obviously really hot, hard to catch your breath after. Nice little jog to the pub after that on a path I didn't know about - so happy I put it on facebook :)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds a tough session in the heat Simon.

Philip - what's the amended route at Wycombe pr like then? Might head down there tomorrow.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Can't say I ever drink enough to be dealing with hang overs. It has happened, thirty plus years ago.

As a youngster, getting tanked was a novelty for no more reasons than proving you could buy the stuff legally and drink it, mixed with a tad of escapism.

Why a fully grown adult does the same is beyond me. 

A former neighbour of mine was a piss head. The first time I met him, it was while he was sprawled semi conscious over my front garden wall.
     The second incident involved him getting so drunk at a football match, that his own children aged 8 and 10, had to get him home.
    The third incident got him tasered at 2:00am - apparently in the nuts!

Really dignified. 

And his job? he's a life coach! the mind boggles.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Don't believe ya Ric ;-)

Hangovers are relative anyway - a parkrun hangover is one where I had 4 beers and fish and chips the night before! It's a VERY long time since I've passed out or got into any state other than mild smirking from alcohol!

Nor un today, as I accidentally did 7 days in a  row and 60 miles. Double bike to work instead - cracking day for it and nice to do a do a decent ride on the bike again!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    :smiley: I like a good day on the beer. Unfortunately I can't seem to stay out past midnight these days. Went out at 2pm last Saturday with no phone and couldn't ring a taxi so contemplated running the 9 miles home. 
    Managed to get a taxi and woke up on the couch at 7am Sunday morning. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's four hours after my bedtime Matt :smile:

parkrun this morning. Toed the line with a guy in a Xempo sub 2:30 vest. Guess who won?! To be fair, he was just cruising as he's running London tomorrow. As for me - I was shite! Started slow, and just couldn't breathe properly at pace, so finished slower. Even contemplated bailing at one point! 5th overall in 19:20. I still haven't managed to speak to a Doctor, so will have to try again Monday. 

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Not too bad a time Bus considering you have this cough issue and it was hot out there. Is the course much different from the one with the steps or are the steps still part of it? 

Continued my comeback with Woodley pr today. Always a nice fast course and firm ground all the way now. Seem to have lost my fast starts and only about 20th as the field settled down. Worked my way through to 5 th before dropping a place on the 100 metre sprint after the 3 laps are done. 18'47 so 30 seconds better than last week which was a faster (shorter!) course, so hopefully going in the right direction. Calf pretty much ok; hip sore after but not that bad. Still hopeful of doing Fleet HM next week. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sound like me with the niggles Pete - hopefully they give you a break for Fleet. Also a big step forward in time so that's good too.

Yeah, steps are still in it. Not much difference to be honest. More grass at the end, but it was nice and firm today - just a bit disorientating having the mile point feel much later on at the start!
  • All the best for tomorrow ML - look forward to hearing how you get on.

Good parkrunning there Bus and Pete. Bus, nice time for not being able to breathe - hope the doc can help. Pete, good going and hope all stays well for Fleet.

Ran on Wednesday and foot was definitely not feeling right. Rested on Thurs and slightly better but still not how it should be. Decided to see physio and get a sports massage yesterday - as before, nothing really stands out as being 'wrong' (makes me wish there was a clear problem!), but rub down has relieved a lot of tightness in the calves and feet. Still some ache on the front of my ankle when doing the toeing-off motion, but no top of foot ache, so will see tomorrow.
    Such a shame to not be able to run in this glorious weather! Off to NZ next Sunday, so hoping all settles down before then, as would hate to miss the opportunity to run-explore.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I should have mentioned I've only had the one bad hangover - that was whisky based.
     I turned up very late for a party where everyone else was already pissed and thinking I'd better play catch up, I poured about half a pint of the stuff into a beer mug and downed it.

I'd never ever drunk whiskey, so I thought, if that didn't work I'll have another. I didn't get that far. I went seamlessly through inebriation into unconsciousness without a pause.

The hangover was a given.

For some reason I've never fancied whiskey since.

Well done on the parkruns Bus & Pete.

As for me, I haven't run a yard in eight days. 

There comes a point where some niggles simply will not get better with running. So I stopped. 

The ache in my foot had become ever present and without being dramatic, I suspect it's a stress fracture. I was still aware of the thing even yesterday though not really painful, but it's likely that the Staines 10k will go ahead without me.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Bus, was it my man Al P from the sub 3 thread? I know he's staying over in Wycombe and has a sub 2:30 to his name, and probably another on the way tomorrow.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hopefully not Ric - good luck.

Likewise Matthew - hoepfully on the mend.

Dachs - that's the fella. Amazingly economic running style. Barely seemed to be moving when he went past me!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Wot, London Marathon day and no posts from anyone? wtf!

LSR for me today - 13.4M off-road. I enjoyed the sunshine, but felt for those smashing themselves over hot tarmac with no shade for 26.2 miles!!!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of glad I pulled out, don't think anyone I know actually surpassed their expectations. Quite the opposite.

A couple of runs in France for me, nothing special though as I was running early morning and I just can't get my body going before eating.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Opposite of me then Reg. I don't eat but maybe three or four mugs of tea of coffee counts as much.

All the pains in my feet, knee and where else? have gone. It's only taken ten days of not running. 

In the meantime I conducted a strength/ endurance test I used to do. Namely, free standing squats. How does 1000 in one go sound?

Well just now I knocked off 1600 plus in 22 minutes. Felt like I had the ability to keep going, but I reckon I'd done enough.

🙂