The Middle Ground

Comments

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I saw the changes.  My friend who has just left the open category had a GFA for this year but is unlikely to make it next year with a 3.08pb.  He's a bit miffed really.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Nice little tempo run for me this evening. Have tweaked my paces slightly after last week’s race times, so was looking at pace being around the 7:10 mark.

Session was a mile warm up followed by 3 at tempo then a mile warm down. First tempo mile was 7:07 and second 7:08. Bit fast but felt manageable. Mile 3 in 7:02, too fast but feeling good so I tacked on an extra 0.5 mile at bang on 7:00 pace before cutting the warm down to 0.5 miles also.

Nice to run in just t-shirt and shorts and feel comfortable (ie. not cold!) too.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Vest is out for today's lunch run.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Topless would have been better - absolutely roasting in the sun.

Did 4x 300/600 on 60/90 second rest.  Managed to maintain pace throughout, so happy with the session.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Nice intervals Gav. Especially if you did them in the heat of the day!

In case I’m not on here again before tomorrow, good luck DT! Make sure your pacing is sensible and you’ll smash it I’m sure after all of your excellent training, hard work and dedication!

I’ve been running ‘easy’ the last couple of days - 4 and 5 mile easy runs respectively. Rest day today.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Go well tomorrow, DT...and PRF, who I see is in town! What did you think of Burgess? I think it is potentially one of the fastest in the country! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    all ready for morning. Still debating how I attack it given forecast. It's much fresher today but hot if Sun is out, which is current forecast. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done DT
    Did you know PRF  and yourself were within one second of each other?!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm delighted with that. I changed plan last minute to acvomodate conditions. Plan was to run to hr and effort and enjoy day and see if that equated to a PB.  It was brutal out there.

Came in 3.04.45 for exactly same time as last year and to annoyingly equal my PB. Surely 1 second could have been found! Faster than I expected by far. 

Really happy with my race management in terms of how I approached it, took gels etc. 

Crickey shame we didn't see each other. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done: splits suggested a sensible approach! Hope there are less than 3000 GFA times as it is a little close for comfort! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm on the very edge unfortunately. I'm already considering I wont and looking at Manchester. A lot of guys finishing around me and just ahead were very sttrong sub 3 runners. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done DT! A very sensible race plan well executed by the sounds of it! There will be other marathons in better conditions for you to attack for sub3!

I did 8 miles today at about 1pm. Doing that at 9mm pace was more than enough for me thank you!
  • Ah brilliant, 1 sec difference! That was chip time though so we were probably a fair way apart on the road. Just to echo the comment about conditions it was indeed brutal.....and I thought that I should have been acclimatised having run in similar conditions for pretty much every run in the last few weeks.

Alehouse - Burgess is flat and fast, just about perfect really as parkrun courses go.

Did you notice one person who didn't get affected by the heat? Hannah ran 1:23, 1:23 to get a 4 min PB and bizarrely became AAA British Marathon Champion 2018. She is pinching herself but I don't think it is sinking in.......
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed Hannah's result and was waiting for you to mention it! A marginal negative split I think. Slowest 5ks were the first few. Brilliant Hannah! Give her a big well done hug from me. Or a pint or two! 

Not many negative splits yesterday but a guy from my club ran 1:16/1:14. Does that come from train heavy, race light, I wonder. Lots of layers must help with acclimatisation.

How long are you over for?

And how are the legs this morning DT? 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Perfect conditions today!

Well done to Hannah!

prf- just looking on results, you crossed the line about 40 seconds before me. in the official results you finished 1381 and I was 1382. 

don't feel too bad today. Quads are sore and my feel feel a bit batteted. Booked a day off work so will be off to the gym shortly to sit in the spa for some time. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Great to hear you made it safely.  Saw a lot who were suffering and needed the medics.  Well done on the GFA time @DT19 shame it's not a guaranteed entry. 

My day yesterday was 100km through the Chilterns with 1200m of climbing (on the bike of course).  The heat isn't as bad on the bike and when running as you get more cooling breeze.  Still went through about 4l of fluid. 

Would love to do the Chiltern's 100 Grand Fondo, 100 miles with 2000+m of climbing...brutal!  It's a week after my half ironman tri, so will still be a bit of a mess.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Well done DT - fantastic run and hilarious how close you were to PRF... and a pretty good effort from the old man too! ;-)

As for Hannah ... there are no words!

I did parkrun on Saturday (my only run since my last parkrun ... which was my only run since the parkrun before). Then after watching VLM, I did 58 miles on the bike in blustery, drizzly and cool conditions (what a difference 200 miles north make eh!) that included 5000 ft of climbing, including 3 of this part of Yorshire's classic climbs ... so a pretty tough day out! Only 2 weeks to go to TdY sportive (79 miles and 6,5000ft climbing) which is going to be hell.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I'm jealous of the hill your have in Yorkshire @Dr.Dan
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I'm jealous of the hills you have in Yorkshire @Dr.Dan

FIFM
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a pleasant day, jgav.

Dr Dan, so you think you'll properly get backbto the running or is this your balance going forward?

Been reviewing the detailed stats from London. In the 2nd half I overtook 1320 runners and was overtaken by 9. Bearing in mind I finished 1382nd that's a pretty solid stat. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @DT19 That stat seems to be the story of those who paced it properly rather than sticking to their pre-planned target times.  So many huge positive splits.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    @DT19 ... I will certainly be getting back to full time running. Enjoying the change but do't have the time to do cycling properly ... and miss the purity of running. It was only because my November foot injury was still unrelenting in January that I entered the Tour de Yorkshire 80 mile sportive as an incentive to do something more than just bike commute. I could run more now but the TdY long route is just so brutal that I'm having to concentrate on that. Once 6th May is done, I'll ditch the long rides and do more running alongside some shorter tempo cycling (and emergency swimming) in preparation for 10th June triathlon. But after that it's all about the York marathon in October. Hoping the running will come back OK, although probably have to have lower expectations for 6 months. I will maintain my usual cycling/running mix as in recent years.

Those stats are great ... fantastic feeling when you're strong at the end of a marathon! Says it all.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

As above, shows a very disciplined approach DT. Do you think sub3 could be yours on a cooler day? Are you doing another marathon later in the year?

I did a gentle 3 miles before work this morning - hate morning running, so felt pretty bleurgh during it.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    DT: as others have said, great consistency, both on the day and in the build up. Manchester Marathon? If so worth doing the half in October on similar roads. You will get a much clearer run in Manchester: around 450 broke 3 hours. If you want local knowledge re accommodation etc feel free to message. Also worth reading the Manchester Marathon thread.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes there are a huge majority of runners that simply failed to adjustvtheir goals even slightly and ended up with terrible times. 

as much as I love the whole occasion of London I do think it might be ablessing if I don't make the cut as Manchester will be my automatic next choice and I think I'll have a better chance there. 

Alehouse, thanks for the offer of help and the suggestion of the half. Once I settle on a plan I'll look at that half and give you a shout for some local knowledge if that's what I go with. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Love Hannah's stats! 
    First half, passed 828, 149 went past;
    Second half, passed 459, passed by no-one!
    1% finished ahead. 
    0% of women finished ahead!
    Pints consumed afterwards is still to be confirmed. 

• Alehouse - I can confirm it was more pints than anyone could count. She was still on Whitehall in the same running kit she ran the race in late into the evening and while others were looking worse for wear she was absolutely fine. 

DT - Good stats, you had a much more solid 2nd half than I did. 

I think in general most people who completed on Sunday on reflection are much happier with their times now than they were straight after finishing. It was tough. However, more people completed than ever before with a 98.18% completion rate. This is VLM in a nutshell, runners tend not to drop out, no matter how long it takes.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    How long you over for, PRF? I'm at Hyde Park on Friday lunch and then South Manchester parkrun on Saturday. Won't be running either! Interesting completion rate at VLM!

Still waiting for the all-clear from consultant to start running again, but did have permission from the physio to run on the anti-gravity treadmill earlier. So far back hasn't hurt, but have to see what it is like in the morning. Mind you it seems to be bad most mornings anyway. And you can bet that if that doesn't hurt the Achilles will! 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Really wanted to do the Serpentine final Friday 5k but can't make it into town this week because I have workmen in at home. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's a shame JGav!