London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Nick Soulsby no longer appears in the results.  That was quick! (unlike him....)

• snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    cougie said:
    I was quite surprised to see a larger lady walking by Big Ben yesterday. She'd have been round the four hour mark and more impressive that she still had her full string kit bag on her back....
    Yes saw her! Couldn't believe it, didn't even look out of breath
  • My all time favourite is the guy I caught walking at just after 10k one year. I was in Pen 1 and had taken under 45 mins to get there. He was easily over 20 stone with his belly hanging out of his top. 

He went onto finish in seven hours plus. He must have paid someone to carry his chip there for a bet or something. He was a horse trainer and his pic was in the papers - I'd never have found his time otherwise. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    In the 2013 VLM I can remember sitting in St. James Park afterwards recovering, and having the shine taken off my achievement when I saw a guy who was easily 25 stone (think fat suit in Goldmember) kicking around wearing his finish medal, looking much fresher than I felt. Thing is, this was only about 4 hours after the start, and I had started quite near the front so how we got there in atht time I still don't know. Maybe it was the same guy Cougie?
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    MC9876 said:
    > @Nessie said:
    > 19779 - 2:17 first half, finished in 3:37. 

She is the secretary too - http://www.liverpoolrunningclub.com/about-us/committee.html
      That's potentially a shocker!!
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    It's a strange thing to do if you are a high profile member of a running club, surely you are almost guaranteed to get caught. I can kinda understand why I lot of people do it, they basically want to brag about it on social media to feed their egos and have little chance of getting caught because they aren't really that present in the wider running community. If you are a member of a running club or have lots of running friends I struggle to see how you wouldn't get found out...
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Especially as most runners use Strava and will check their friends' runs to comment and offer support (or laugh at them!). Anyone who takes a short cut is going to look a bit silly if their GPS track shows a "wrong turning"??
  • I can understand people realising that the full distance isn't on for them today and turning left to jog it in - but you'd not take a medal or a teeshirt. I'll assume the running club people have done this unless proven different. 

• RF that must have been a different guy ? My guy finished in a realistic time .give or take a ridiculous first ten k. 
  • The Abigail Willmitt case looks bang to rights to me! Especially when you look her previous times on Power of 10 - nothing there suggests being capable of a 80 minute half!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The lady from Liverpool had a previous pb of 4.20, so a significant pb on a hot day. How can she realistically persuade people that is realistic. I am slightly irritated by her photo going passed parliament looking like she's having a comfortable jog giving the v sign. 
  • Was that 2008 Cougie? I remember going past a large gentleman at 10k, he was walking and for the next few miles me and my mate were wondering how he beat us there. I think someone on here found him and he had run a sub 40 10k
  • No sign of her posing with a medal though. She would know better. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    How are you finding these people?
  • HH you know I think it could be. I've kept the photo of him from the paper somewhere.
  • tmholttmholt ✭✭✭
    Following MC9876’s comment, I’m developing a strange fascination with Alex Bos. This year he finished in 3:14:13 having gone through half way in 2:11:18. His chip didn’t register at 25k or 30k. He clearly didn’t do the whole course. Here he is with his medal:

MC9876 suggests he probably had a GFA place based on his start. Power of 10 gives his PB as 4:26:15, but he looks to have been credited with a GFA time at the Yorkshire Marathon 2016, finishing in 3:13:19 (15 seconds behind me, which helps to fuel my interest in him). Here are his race photos: https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?template=MPX2&new_search=1&event=Sports%2FCPUK%2F2016%2FYorkshire%20Marathon&match=2348. Judge for yourselves whether it’s the same bloke, but apart from looking different and running faster, he also has the name “Mike” on his vest.

So we seem to have someone who used a mule to earn a GFA place so he could run London, and then having cheated his way in couldn’t be bothered to run the whole thing so cheated while he was there too. I’m struggling to think of an innocent explanation for this.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    http://results-2018.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/2018/?event=MAS&num_results=1000&pid=start&search[nation]=%&search_sort=place_nosex

Click search without adding details, and you get a list of all finishers (except the elite, they are on a different tab.  I've checked them and they all seem legit ;)).  Then just scroll through to find any obvious discrepancies.  I got as far as page 13 - looked for anyone significantly over 2 hours for the first half but under 4 hours at the finish.  Then I got bored...... :)
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    > @tmholt said:
    > Following MC9876’s comment, I’m developing a strange fascination with Alex Bos. This year he finished in 3:14:13 having gone through half way in 2:11:18. His chip didn’t register at 25k or 30k. He clearly didn’t do the whole course. Here he is with his medal:
    >
    >
    >
    > MC9876 suggests he probably had a GFA place based on his start. Power of 10 gives his PB as 4:26:15, but he looks to have been credited with a GFA time at the Yorkshire Marathon 2016, finishing in 3:13:19 (15 seconds behind me, which helps to fuel my interest in him). Here are his race photos: https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?template=MPX2&new_search=1&event=Sports/CPUK/2016/Yorkshire Marathon&match=2348. Judge for yourselves whether it’s the same bloke, but apart from looking different and running faster, he also has the name “Mike” on his vest.
    >
    > So we seem to have someone who used a mule to earn a GFA place so he could run London, and then having cheated his way in couldn’t be bothered to run the whole thing so cheated while he was there too. I’m struggling to think of an innocent explanation for this.

Top sleuthing!
  • Also alex has cut down his number. Automatic DQ.

Surprised he got past security on the mall .

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Is the Yorkshire marathon hard to get a place in?  Just wondered if he had a place, decided not to run, and gave his place to Mike.  Then, as Mike couldn't use the GFA because it wasn't in his name, Alex thought he'd cut the queue and get a London spot.  Still not on, but slightly less calculated than asking someone to knock their pan in for a 3:15 for you to use? 

Wonder if Mike knows?
  • > @cougie said:
    > Also alex has cut down his number. Automatic DQ.
    >
    > Surprised he got past security on the mall .

He finished with a lot of gel packs too :)
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    What a thread this is! Gripped
  • If this was RW:CSI we'd zoom in on his tom tom and see his race distance....
  • tmholttmholt ✭✭✭
    He finished with a lot of gel packs too :)
    He may have been nicking them from other runners as they overtook him. Wouldn’t put it past him. ;)
  • Alex's Strava shows exactly where he cut the course - www.strava. com/activities/ 1525200552 (I don't seem to be allowed to post a link)
    Claims to have dropped out but why run through the finish and get a medal? His Strava profile shows his marathon PB as 4:26 from Manchester in 2016.

Rory O'Connor (49808) has also managed to get from halfway to 35k in 15 mins - just over 1min per km! :open_mouth:
  • tmholttmholt ✭✭✭

Nessie said:
    Is the Yorkshire marathon hard to get a place in?  Just wondered if he had a place, decided not to run, and gave his place to Mike.  Then, as Mike couldn't use the GFA because it wasn't in his name, Alex thought he'd cut the queue and get a London spot.  Still not on, but slightly less calculated than asking someone to knock their pan in for a 3:15 for you to use? 

Wonder if Mike knows?
    I don’t think it’s hard to get a place, but I think it does sell out. It looks like Mike worked hard for it, so not a classic mule. Perhaps opportunism, as you suggest, rather than an evil plan right from the beginning, but he’ll have had plenty of time to think it through between entering and running.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    He's on Strava.....  Says he dropped out at 31k.
  • tmholttmholt ✭✭✭
    laurawfc said:
    Alex's Strava shows exactly where he cut the course - www.strava. com/activities/ 1525200552 (I don't seem to be allowed to post a link)
    Claims to have dropped out but why run through the finish and get a medal?
    At least he’s being honest on Strava. I don’t really want to demonise him, even if he has been a bit naughty (twice).
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    Except he didn't drop out did he, he jumped the barrier ran to the finish and got his medal.