London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• 61680 Mr Shams - quite apt.  Through 10k in 1.37 so you'd think he'd be on for 6 and a half hours plus ?  
    But no - he gets stuck in for a 5hr marathon.  And so pleased with his performance he pumps the air on the way up the mall.  

His chip stops working at 15k and doesn't start again until the finish. Another miraculous recovery. 
  • SmittersSmitters ✭✭✭
    I was just popping in an say Alex Bos' Strava is now private, but I guess folks got in before the lock! You can still see his estimated best marathon and it's way over 4 hours, so hopefully VLM will wipe the result and he'll lose the GFA place. What with the new system, I'd be very pissed off if it stood and he got an almost guaranteed entry next year for a 30km run. I'm frankly astonished there isn't a results algorithm applied on the Monday morning to ID suspect times and then a small team who do photo checks to see if faces are missing. Running a 1.03 back half is laughable. Banned for life please.
  • cougiecougie ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    57628 is probably genuine - chip stops working after 10k but I think she's behind the sweepers so the timing mats are gone. 8hrs 42 finish.  Oof.  I doff my cap - that's a long day out in the sun. 

Similar story with 56304 - 9 hours finish.  Fantastic determination from them both. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Perhaps that is feasible. I heard of someone else dropping out properly and they had a hell of a job getting back into the race area to get their bag, which I find slightly odd unless they tore away their number.

In her credit, there is no medal photo. Perhaps she just considered it the easiest and most direct way to get her bag and where they dropped her was the closet they could get by car (?). Not sure she should have rejoined the race mind for all the photos down birdcage etc.

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Dustin">Dustin</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Thanks to all sleuths for brightening my lunchtime reading.
    I take my hat off to Liverpool's Abigail especially in what would be called a 'senior' role at the club.
    They didn't drop her at the finish, some of those photos are on Embankment and up towards Birdcage walk so she covered the last few km (hence the 40k split).
    Not exactly covering themselves in glory.

I have in the past messaged VLM about rogue runners and they have annulled spoof results which may have been the result of multiple notifications. 

</div>
    </blockquote>
    Agreed. I was giving their line of events, not necessarily agreeing with them.

I'm unsure why a race official would instruct you to cross the finish line meaning more work for someone down the line 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    58224. 3h 15 first half and then 2h08 second. he hit all the mats but there are no photos and the splits for the second half are pretty even  - looks to me like it was a relay.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

All the missed mats ones I've looked at now say 'result in query' so VMLM are ahead of the game there?

the ones I've been finding are where there are unbelievable negative splits.....

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    On the BBC iPlayer you can view the finish line at any point in the race; if you're interested in seeing some of these people go over the line or can't find them in photos, might be useful.

Also fun to watch me trying to finish ahead of a Bee.....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    if you cover your number fully whilst running then n o photos will publish.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

14690 is  one of the 5 hour pacers. You'd think they'd have spotted that before saying his result was in query??

If the pacers are cheating then there's no hope for us!

• Anyone found the woman with the bag on her back at 4 hours yet ?
  • I've noticed that one of the number swaps I alerted VLM to now shows as result pending, also Alex Bos and Abigail Willmitt show as result in query.

Maybe they do take action
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I assume you're all aware of https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/

Some cracking reads on there.  Anything truly shocking like 'Bos' should be emailed in their too.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Smitters said:
    I was just popping in an say Alex Bos' Strava is now private, but I guess folks got in before the lock! You can still see his estimated best marathon and it's way over 4 hours, so hopefully VLM will wipe the result and he'll lose the GFA place. What with the new system, I'd be very pissed off if it stood and he got an almost guaranteed entry next year for a 30km run. I'm frankly astonished there isn't a results algorithm applied on the Monday morning to ID suspect times and then a small team who do photo checks to see if faces are missing. Running a 1.03 back half is laughable. Banned for life please.

Not laughable at all - Kipchoge managed it fine. Oh wait a minute, this fuckwit wasn't Kipchoge...............
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    If anyone has done a negative split in those conditions they have done extremely well. I went up to watch runners I knew from local clubs and saw experienced good club runners come in 20-30 minutes outside what I would have expected them to. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Running at London is a privilege, which most of us work very hard to achieve, either by training hard and getting GFA or working hard to raise the money for charity or whatever. These cheats are depriving an honest runner of a place, and if found out, they should be at the very least, banned for life from this event. It would be nice if VLM was more proactive in doing something about this. I would hate to miss out on a GFA place by a few seconds (much more likely next year) because of one of these fuckwits' cheating. Isn't there some way this could be tried as fraud?
  • Unfortunately,there is no way that you can eradicate the chancers all the time there is supply and demand,people will do what they have to,to achieve their wishes. Probably the majority who”cheat” only want the t shirt/medal for a bit of local glory,they couldn’t give a s**t if they are exposed,that’s life,you can moan about it, but you ain’t going to change it, still, it does make me laugh, lol 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Gladrags said:

14690 is  one of the 5 hour pacers. You'd think they'd have spotted that before saying his result was in query??

If the pacers are cheating then there's no hope for us!

Not only that - it's Harmander, think this was his 35th London Marathon; very much doubt he would have purposefully gone off track?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    On the flipside to all of this, there are some stats that show how hard the conditions were, or how a some underestimate the distance.  There was one woman I spotted who went through half way in (if memory serves me) about 1:40, and finished just under 5 hours.  Either went out way too fast, or the heat got to her (or both).  Must've been a hard day, but fair play to her for finishing.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    JGav said:
    I assume you're all aware of https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/

Some cracking reads on there.  Anything truly shocking like 'Bos' should be emailed in their too.
    I lost a whole afternoon on that site last year.  Dedicated stuff!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    and Harmander was a very helpful poster on one of the threads, so that seems unlikely.
  • That's very weird. I did worry about the pacers - you'd not have blamed them had they not been able to keep their pace but HS did fine I think. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    None of the 3 hour pacers came anywhere near, the fastest was 3.15.
  • tmholt said:
    As things stand, he has another GFA time now. Will he use that too?
    I've left a wee comment on his strava... interesting to see the response ;o)
  • Mrs Yolanda Visscher (18387) should remember to shave on the day of the Marathon. That said, she still looks great for her age and should be proud of her GFA place.....
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    > @Hornchurch Hammer said:
    > Mrs Yolanda Visscher (18387) should remember to shave on the day of the Marathon. That said, she still looks great for her age and should be proud of her GFA place.....

Unfortunate facial hair aside, Mrs Visscher also looks impressively young for a 45-49 year old. I wonder what her secret is.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Mrs Yolanda Visscher (18387) should remember to shave on the day of the Marathon. That said, she still looks great for her age and should be proud of her GFA place.....

:) just looked at that one - v amusing. Like the fact they introduced 'M' and 'F' on the numbers this year - surely the next step is to print a name on the number - not sure this boy would have run if he'd been publicly labelled Yolanda??

Agree Harmander v unlikely to have cheated - nice bloke, met him at the Expo. VMLM just seem to have put a blanket question mark on anyone missing a couple of mats?

A friend did 4h22 which is about what I usually get. I usually come in bang in the middle of the field (so ahead of about 50% runners) - she came in the top 30% on Sunday.

• KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Fascinated, and disgusted by this thread. 

I've never run London but am aiming for GFA (I keep getting close and then the times are cut!)  I am perhaps just naive - but I simply don't understand the mentality for this type of cheating.  It's awful that people are losing out on places as a result of this.

As an illustration, personally I was hoping to race in Hamburg this weekend to try for a GFA place.  Unfortunately for a variety of reasons I'm not capable of the distance at the moment... but I'm travelling anyway as it was pre-booked so I will probably jog the first 10k-half as a training run and then drop out without a second thought.  I just don't get why anybody would deliberately avoid a DNF / skip parts of the course / take public transport etc just to collect the medal and perhaps scoop another GFA... or perhaps worse get somebody else to record their time.

PS - I've refocussed my GFA efforts on Valencia in December... feel free to hop across to that thread in the Events forum!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Regarding the Liverpool Running Club member. She and the club are saying she was injured and had to pull out. They dropped her at the finish and has emailed VLM. 

Ive never heard of someone being dropped at the finish to cross the line. 
    At first the Marshall I asked for directions told me to give him my timing chips. When I told him I was heading to the finish to collect my bag he told me to not go near any timing mats and to hand the chips in at the end. 
    You can't get near the finish line and I was directed round the back to the meet and greet where you then go in a pen and someone takes your number and collects your bag for you. Offered the bloke my timing chips but he told me to keep them.

I reckon people drop out and think the easiest way is to get on the course and go through the finish to get their bags. 
  • I think I saw Harmander just after the half way mark, standing in a very long toilet queue at the petrol station,didn’t look happy,but if youve got to go you’ve got to go!