Brighton Marathon 2018

1235»

Comments

• MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the 3.30 pacer lost his balloon? I started 2 minutes behind him and was on 3.30 and quicker but couldn't see the balloon in front after the climb upto to Overdean. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

The 3:00 pacers lost their balloons at the start so I wouldn't be surprised if the 3:30 pacers(s) also parted company with their balloons.

I thoroughly enjoyed Brighton Marathon.  Having last raced here in 2010, the changes to the course, particularly the Withdean start, were great.  The crowds, especially at the half way point, were brilliant.  I even enjoyed the Power Station this year and the "hills" to Rottingdean. 

We'll gloss over the cramps from the 20 mile point but the beer at the end was brilliant.

London is special but Brighton is also special in it's own way.

And crossing the line 28 seconds inside the 3 hour mark was the icing on the cake!

• Totally agree Louey on the T Shirt. I'd rather of not got one than got what I did. They want to be a sustainable marathon and pride themselves on their approach to reducing the environmental impact of the race but I can guarantee you that hardly anyone will wear the 'competitor' T Shirt. It's such a lame phrase! Is that the best their marketing team could come up with and it was clearly a ploy to sell the finisher T shirts which I thought was just not on for a £70 entry fee. Medal was nice though. 

On the razor I assumed the 'not so goodie' bags were gender specific! Can't believe they were giving them out to female runners too. That's so silly. I did try out the razor on a business trip this week though and it was very good actually! Better than my Morrisons own brand 3 blade! :-) it could be great for legs Louey!! 

Well done on your times. 

Mark norm that's a fantastic first marathon time!! Way better than my first in London years ago. 
  • Here is my race account of the Brighton Marathon 2018. You may want to make a cuppa first as its as long as the marathon itself!! ?

http://ultradiscostu.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/brighton-marathon-2018-race-report.html
  • UDS, that is a bl00dy marvellous read...completely captured the day, the atmosphere, the emotion, the determination...

You should forward that link to some running mags etc....you write in a very captivating way.

norm
  • UDS - very impressive report, the pain on your face showed it all, talk about giving 100%. You put me to shame.

• Hey Mark and FBT glad you enjoyed the read. I enjoy writing them as it allows me to relive the race and the emotions I felt as I ran. Find it helpful way to reflect and learn of what went well and what I can improve on for the next race. Cheers.

Managed the 15 mile Lucozade Drinks Station yesterday! All I can say is that we are so lucky our marathon was a week ago!! It was bloody hot just standing in the sun handing out drink. I imagining running in it at the pace I ran Brighton at and know for certain it would have had a big impact. Many club mates with solid form and faster than me suffered in the heat. What a difference a week makes!! Shows also how you don't always get what your training deserves and it's all about what happens on race day. Mo ran a great race!! Pace at the start was insane going off at sub 2 pace for first 5km :-0
  • ndoddndodd ✭✭
    Hi, I am signed up for the Brighton Marathon 2019 - doesn't appear to be a thread for that but appreciate it is a bit early!

I wondered what the mass start is like, did anyone here experience it this year?

I love the busy, big marathons but a crowded, slow start is a real downside - it affects my pace, makes me anxious and is difficult to train for.

Could anyone tell me about their experience at Brighton and if it is similar to London, which seems to have 3-4 miles before the race really gets going?

Thanks
  • NDodd my link a few posts up to my race report for this year's Brighton Marathon. Should provide a good insight to the race and what you can look forward to. It is an amazing marathon. Far better than I ever imagined actually. Crowds less than London with half the numbers entered. But you will always have the slowish start at the mass start but that's a GOOD THING right. you can use all that saved energy if you think you have some left in the second half. Good luck with your training. 
  • UDS - I did Brighton and London.... Brighton was perfect. London was brutal... totally brutal... add 10-15 mins to your time is my estimate. I actually wanted to quit at mile 8! never had that before. Cramps sickness. really quite horrid. such a contrast to Brighton which seemed a breeze in comparison.

ndod - Brighton is better than London in many respects, has the perfect amount of runners, nice course, awesome support, easier to get to. London is a just a bigger name and more advertised, but a pain to get to, very congested, but a great experience.

Both great but I will do Brighton next year and not London (as i have not qualified this year), plus last sunday was a marathon to forget!

• ndoddndodd ✭✭
    Thanks Stu - much appreciated, I will take a look.

I find the crowded starts a distraction... I tend to start panicking about my mile times, try to make up the time and end up expending far more energy than usual!

It sounds as if it's not as bad as London, though.
  • ndoddndodd ✭✭
    Thanks Fat Boy Trim - it certainly seems to be a marathon that most people love running, so I'm glad I am entered!
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Does anybody know how soon run Britain gets updated with the result? I'm assuming it happens automatically

Thanks

D'OH ignore just seen its been updated