Recovery between half marathons

Hi - what are folks general thoughts about recovery between half marathons?

I have signed myself up for a couple that are 2 weeks apart. The first is hillyish and I am hoping to beat my 1:34 from last year, the second is flat as a pancake so hoping to really push on that one and get closer to 1:30.

Keen to know what others think in the terms of whether it is enough recovery between the 2 to be push for PBs. I guess a lot is dependent on the person but any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Comments

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    2 weeks should be fine. I am a big proponent of the recovery run. Maybe on day 2 after first one go for a cheeky slow 3-5k depending on how you feel. Just shake out the legs nothing strenuous.

Hope that helps
    Richard
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Main priority between the two will be recovery, so run as little as possible. There's nothing you can do in those 2 weeks to improve your fitness, so take it very easy.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Two weeks is fine. I often do 2 that close together and usually find I go quicker in the second one. Just take it easy in between.
  • AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Really appreciate the feedback. I have booked myself in for a sports massage a couple of days after the first one too.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've done halves on consecutive weekends four times and this year I did Hampton Court and the Big Half (two weeks apart). With one exception (where I did 6 races in 10 weeks, broke most of my PBs and ended up a bit tired by the end), I've always gone quicker in the second race while still pushing in the first race.
    The key, as Tom says, is to run lightly in between the two.
  • AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭
    Hey folks, just a little update. First one done, a hilly half at which I posted a PB at 1:31:46. Had an easy 5k today and will go again later in the week with another easy one. I will keep it light at the weekend and into next week ready for the next one... So forcing myself not to run!?!?!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    A good rule of thumb, especially for those new to running, is to spend a day recovering for every mile of your previous race.  So that's 13 days and therefore OK, provided you do no speedwork, time trials, or other hard efforts in between!

All the best for your flat half.
  • AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭
    Great piece of advice T Rex, so gentle runs are okay?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I would say, just to keep yourself loosened up.  You won't be able to add to your fitness but could detract from it if you run too hard in between.
  • AndyL78AndyL78 ✭✭✭
    Hey all... just wanted to say thanks for the advice and also that is seemed to work :-)  Second half completed and knocked off another 2 minutes (albeit an easier course)... I am now a happy member of the Sub 90 Club (1:29 to be precise)