Advice for a beginner!

Hi everyone :D

New to the running game and just wondered if I could pick up some advice from more experienced runners

Started running maybe 4 weeks ago, 5k three times a week as fast as I could which was coming in at around the 25-30 minute mark the last 2 weeks have been throwing in a 10k once or twice a week also usually coming in at around the 60-65 minute area feeling like I had some left in the thank come the end of my run

Basically the goal is to be ready for the Belfast marathon in May next year while running a few half marathons, 10ks etc. between now and then (I know its a long way away) 

Have read a lot here and other places that suggest slow long runs would be my best bet at the minute and what I've been doing is the wrong way to go, just wondered if anyone could give me any directions on what pace, distance etc. I should be focusing on currently

Thanks  :D

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a training plan for the half marathon, not too ambitious.   You can calculate your training paces from here   

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/rws-training-pace-calculator

if you don't have a race time to use then use your 10km training time.

If you run every run as fast as you can you will be injured in a very short time. 
  • How do I start my own forum chat?
  • <span>I’m new here and new to running in general. I have always hated running for as long as I can remember but have challenged myself to overcome this and learn to love it after nearly losing my my Mum to a string of heart attacks. Whilst my mindset is strong my legs are presenting me problems. I over pronate and it’s causing really painful shin splint hip pain and ankle pain. I have got new trainers with more support, compression socks and KT tape to help but I’m still finding myself in agony and having to stop it doesn’t help even if I rest. anyone got any advice for me</span>
  • > @Sammie40049 said:
    > I’m new here and new to running in general. I have always hated running for as long as I can remember but have challenged myself to overcome this and learn to love it after nearly losing my my Mum to a string of heart attacks. Whilst my mindset is strong my legs are presenting me problems. I over pronate and it’s causing really painful shin splint hip pain and ankle pain. I have got new trainers with more support, compression socks and KT tape to help but I’m still finding myself in agony and having to stop it doesn’t help even if I rest. anyone got any advice for me

If you are sure that you have the right shoes then it might be an idea to make sure that your running form is good. Plenty of YouTube videos can help with this. Things to focus on are running the line, I.e. imagine there is a line on your entire running route that you have to hit with every foot strike. Don’t over stride, your knee should be over your foot as it contacts the ground. Plenty more to look at too. One word of caution; changing foot strike position ends with the foot but starts with the arms, and the hips etc.

I don’t know if this will help your problems but it might. Just get into running slowly and don’t try to do too much too soon.
  • To the OP. Yes you are going about it the wrong way at the moment. I started the same myself just a few months ago. What you need at the moment is base, and lots of it. Just make most runs easy, at current fitness for you that will be 9 1/2 minute miles. The easy miles give you lots of training benefits without overstressing the body. Running quicker does not gain you fitness quicker, you just risk injury for less optimum reward.

It is hard to force yourself to run easy as it feels like it goes against the “no pain, no gain” way we think that training works. But for most of your runs it is what you need to be doing. Over time you will need to do longer runs and train on more days if you want to run the longer distances.

I started where you are in October running 3 times a week. Now I run 5-6 days and 30-35 miles a week. I have 1 long run (10-12 miles) and 1 workout run (hills, tempo or long intervals) a week. The other 3-4 runs are easy as is the long run. I have 1 easy week a month where my mileage is reduced but I run a hard 5k to test my progress. Works well for me but whichever way you choose the easy miles are going to be the key to greater endurance.
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    Sammie, its difficult to tell how much is too much running. If recommend a structured plan like couch 2 5k it is 12 weeks i think and will help you.

As previous poster has said get your shoes checked too.
  • Thanks for the replies all  :)

Went out for a 6 mile run today pace was 10 minutes per mile and that felt as easy as I could go without walking so will maybe stick to that for my long miles

Gona have a look at a few plans shades and see what I can come up with starting to get the running bug after many failed attempts although only realising now that you don't have to go full pelt all the time and actually enjoying my runs that seems to be making all the difference  :D
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Easy pace is the speed you can run at while still having a full conversation.  As your fitness increases, so does your easy pace.  Don't artificially slow yourself down if you don't need to.  

While there are more technical definitions of easy pace, using lactate threshold, HR training etc. conversational pace is a good guide.
  • Thanks Jgav held a pace yesterday and had a bit of a conversation with myself to try and gauge where I was at (felt like id went a bit crazy :D) and was able to squeeze out a few sentences, felt like I maybe went a bit easy yesterday will maybe try and pick up the pace slightly on my next long run having a night off tonight as much as I didn't want to  :/ 
  • > @Sammie40049 said:
    > How do I start my own forum chat?

Very sorry the OP, but I have the same question as Sammie40049.
    I don't know how to create my own chat.
  • Nguyen & Sammie40049. I think you just need a few more posts/stars to be able to start your own thread.
  • Think it's 10 posts before you can start a thread  :)
  • TBH it seems crazy you need to post 10 times before you can start a thread !
  • To the OP. I do like to have a target and a plan. I know you have mentioned doing some other runs, but I would maybe try and pin some targets on those along the way. You marathon training plan is likely to be something like 16 weeks, so maybe pick an Autumn Half Marathon, and go through a plan for that first. Maybe do a 10k race in advance of that?
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/glenjones">glenjones</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">To the OP. I do like to have a target and a plan. I know you have mentioned doing some other runs, but I would maybe try and pin some targets on those along the way. You marathon training plan is likely to be something like 16 weeks, so maybe pick an Autumn Half Marathon, and go through a plan for that first. Maybe do a 10k race in advance of that?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Have found a 10k close to me at the end of June would this be a good target to aim at for a start?

In regards to a half marathon I can see there is one also close at the end of September would this be an attainable goal?

Have tried to find a training plan although many of the 10k plans are alot less than I currently do without fatigue or injury, not a seasoned pro by any means but feel I need something a bit more challenging than the beginner plans
  • When I started running I started off going too fast and I was burning out too quickly. Then I just dropped to a really steady pace and I started to clock up the miles quite easily. My pace naturally got faster as my stamina increased.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

MozLFC - running can be a pretty solitary pastime. It can be a lot more interesting if you have someone to run with - you're less likely to pull out a run if you know someone's waiting for you, there's someone there if you get lost or hurt and you have company on your run. Also, if you can talk while you're running, then your pace is ok, so this will help to gauge your pace. Do you have any friends who run, or is there a running club nearby you could join or run with?