Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll

2»

Comments

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Cougie - you mean the one up towards the Chinese arch?
  • Oh no the one up from the footy grounds. The arch is but a bump. 
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    At least the hills are earlier in the run,loch Ness had a horrendous hill about 18 miles which felt like it was a mile long.Im looking at staying in a premier inn,it will be outside Liverpool as the ones in centre are either full or over priced,anyone any suggestions,I'm thinking Widnes or something but unsure about road closures 
  • Travelodge in new Brighton ? Jump a train straight into town .
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha ha yes that one up to the China area is the one that did me in last year. This year I'm coming prepared. :lol: It's not steep but, boy, does it go on a long way! I think the fact you run past the finish first and see all the half marathoners with their medals (since the buggers set off half an hour before us) doesn't really help morale much!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Agree Cal - there's a small uphill just after you leave the main road (opposite the start line), it's already wearing the legs down and then you turn left and it's even steeper up towards the arch. Still, as Cougie says, that's nothing compared to the one after Anfield - short, but f$%& me, it's steep. Just remember - what goes up.............there must be a payback afterwards!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that one was mercifully short, though, and followed by a lovely long downhill stretch. But I'll warn folks now: don't get carried away on that downhill, because then you get that hill to the arch and if you've gone too fast up until that point, it'll bleed you dry.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    It is tempting though, the road is wide open and downhill for a long way, with great views out over the city and the river. Hard not to cane it down there.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Sorry to anyone who hasn't run this before, it's not as hilly as it probably sounds! And what hills there are are out of the way early - the last 4 miles is pancake flat.
  • WIth a headwind... :-)
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Focus on the free beer
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Not running this year - away on holiday - however it's worth considering Liverpool may be involved in the Champions League final the night before the marathon!
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    It's FA cup weekend I'm sure as I'm travelling down from Scotland straight from the Scottish cup final.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wasn't windy last year, at least...
  • Rock n roll is the FA cup final weekend..

Champions League is the week after
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Also the royal wedding.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Oh no, you mean we'll "miss out" on the royal wedding? I haven't got my invite yet anyway............
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just joining in to say I'm doing this one too :)  I'm looking forward to it now, having never done it before.  I'm making a weekend out of it and seeing friends etc, so should be good!
  • Jonny BeachJonny Beach ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

a few hills ... keep it interesting ! 

hopefully not too warm !

& windy for them last 4 miles ;)

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey Big G! :grin:
    Yeah, I have a few concerns about the weather. Last year it was around 14 degrees or so - not too warm but warm enough that I really appreciated being handed an ice pop by a spectator (I hope she's there again!) If it's much warmer than that I won't do well - being a menopausal old baggage, heat is not my friend. (Let's just say I won't be signing up for MdS at any point).
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Apologies folks didn't realise they had moved it forward from bank holiday weekend!

Finally found my pack with number in the cupboard after being "tidyed" away...

I am aiming around 4 hour mark and noticed in Coral 10... are others aiming for this in same one as just seemed quite high number

• That does seem high but maybe they've included the half marathon corrals as the earlier numbers ?  I don't think overcrowding should be an issue - the staggered start is quite useful. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Jonny - I wouldn't worry about it, there's only about 2500 runners in total in the marathon. You won't get held up, there's plenty of room to get past people if necessary - worst case you get to be the guy who does all the overtaking!

Weather forecast is looking good if warm. Light wind from SSE, so a tailwind along the final exposed section along the prom, perfect. Just hope it doesn't get too hot.

• Hats off to all the marathon runners .Such a hot day for it. I loved the half and the 5k yesterday .an excellent weekend of running. Well done everyone - great racing and chatting .
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It was pretty warm, wasn't it? The good thing is that much of the course is shaded by trees, although that last stretch was pretty relentless - not even a breeze.
    I did better than I thought I would, under the circumstances. I'd managed to get shingles a couple of weeks after Manchester so I lost a week of training and two long runs, then had to ease back in gently. The longest I managed was 12 miles the week before Liverpool, so I was concerned I'd have lost some fitness, on top of the challenge of warmer weather and the undulating terrain.
    I did stick with the 4:15 pacers for a while but couldn't stay there after Parliament Hill, so I decided I'd not worry about it and concentrate on getting around, perferably without resorting to walking (which I did last year, when my high hamstring tendinopathy was more bothersome than it is now). Even though I'd slowed by a minute per mile, I was still passing loads of people who had started walking, and I saw a few people in trouble.  My strategy was take keep the bottles (rather than drinking a bit and then chucking) with me from each station and any water I had left by the time I reached the next station, I dumped over my head before grabbing a fresh bottle. That seemed to keep me cool, so I managed to keep plodding along and, in the end, I was only 4 minutes slower than Manchester at 4:22:22. I didn't do the 5K but I got my Encore medal, which was pretty nice, and my legs aren't too destroyed (I coped with a trip to Alton Towers on Monday).
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I'm an idiot. I set off at PB pace, ignoring the weather completely, this despite the fact that I can't run in the heat and my worst marathons have all been on hot days. I passed halfway in 1:33 which I thought was ok, but the wheels started to come off shortly afterwards. Once I stopped and started walking once I kept on doing it, and ended up running half a mile at a time then walking. Last 4 miles was tough, when I was running it felt like the breeze was keeping up with me, so there was no air movement at all, I really struggled to keep cool. Finished in 3:23 so lost a lot of time in the second half. With hindsight, I made the rookie mistake of setting off too fast for the conditions and paying the price later (again). One of these days I'll maybe learn.

On the plus side, the free beer tasted amazing, especially when the prosecco-drinking girls from my running club gave me their tokens. Well done to everyone who finished, it was a great day to be watching a race, but a bit too hot to be running in it.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like me last year, rodeo. It wasn't as warm but I'd missed some training due to injury and set off at a pace that was faster than my (then) PB like a bloody fool. I felt great in the first half...then came Parliament Hill and the wheels fell off. The last 10 miles were a rubber-legged deathmarch with some long walking breaks after 20. Which is why I refused to let myself walk this year, even though I wanted to. It's just too hard to get going again.

Didn't go to plan for me and I hobbled over in 4hrs 20... as I wanted to go under 4 hours ignored the weather, struggled in early miles to get comfortable and HR started high ! Fell behind 4 hour pacers but caught up by mile 3.

Felt ok at halfway though and was feeling like I was in control of all the hills and was about 2 miles up on 4 hours... but about mile 17 started to get on top of me and last part of the hills legs started to sieze up and not helped that on a section running back I could see the 4 hour group.

At mile 19 it became a walk and run operation with my glutes feeling like they where on fire !

Now wish I had stopped at the Kop for a piccy at the pitch side which thought was a great idea.

Randomly my foot near big toe started really hurting Monday pm to a stage yesterday I had persuaded my self it was broken and was thinking about going to A&E. Took some pain killers last night and today it is getting better by the hour !!! not sure what that was about but fingers crossed ok now and even thinking about couple miles recovery run tonight / tomorrow.