London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/dave%20wood%204">dave wood 4</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">With regards Mr. Walker, checked photos from 2013 to 2017,found one definate and one possibly, but both times finished and covered all mats, perhaps this year was a “genuine “ mistake </div>
    </blockquote>
    Are you suggesting he's ran 20k in 2:24, nearly broke the 20k world record then taken 55 minutes to complete the last 2 and a bit KM?

What was his other time in London you found?
  • Or it's yaket him three goes to work out how to cut the course ?
    A new London PB this time too. 
  • “Genuine “ was tongue in cheek,th two times I think are him were 4:30-5:00 hours range,but as cougie says may just be it took him two attempts before he could work out his cunning plan 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    love the new results analysis - look at Mr Walker - he passed 1036 runners in the first half (and 3409 passed him) and then in the second half he passed 13814 runners (so a third of the field) and only one passed him. Who was that one person?!!
  • Lol ! That's a good point ! A definite suspect result there for someone. 
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    I e-mailed the London marathon folks about mr Walker and they tell me they are already looking at his timings. I also am encouraged to see some light trolling of his twitter post!
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/dave%20wood%204">dave wood 4</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">“Genuine “ was tongue in cheek,th two times I think are him were 4:30-5:00 hours range,but as cougie says may just be it took him two attempts before he could work out his cunning plan </div>
    </blockquote>
    Sorry. Its always difficult to hear the tone in a forum.

Worryingly his result is no longer "in query".

Are VLM seriously saying they've queried it and believe it?
  • JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    Also, if you look at Mr Walker's runkeeper it seems like he didn't really go past 10ish miles in training which makes his 20k split (and indeed completion of the marathon) even more impressive. Also kinda strange that he has GPS for all his training runs but not the marathon.... https://runkeeper.com/user/99590316/profile
  • Gladrags said:
    love the new results analysis - look at Mr Walker - he passed 1036 runners in the first half (and 3409 passed him) and then in the second half he passed 13814 runners (so a third of the field) and only one passed him. Who was that one person?!!

Potentially someone who went through the start towards the back of the field with maybe a 4 hour finish, who hadn't caught Mr Walker before the 20k mark but did pass him while he walked very slowly from 40k to the finish. 
  • > @RaceToast said:
    > What are people's views on those who have clearly taken the entry bib from another - should these also be outed?

>

> I'll kick off with bib 19750 - This relates to John Tighe of Crowborough Runners, but when you look at the photos of a fellow Crowborough athlete (20186) it appears to be on the vest of a lady who I assume to be called Eileen

With this one that is very silly. If that is what has happened that club should get a place taken away for the future.

If you are lucky enough to run for your club, you have the option to defer in case of injury. No excuse for this.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Walker went from 20k to the finish in 1h52. So we need a runner with a second half less than 1h46 if they passed him in that phase.

Walker started at 10.30 - our runner could have been ahead or behind him at that point. Last start time was 11am.

Walker went through 20k at 12.54 - so our runner can't go through halfway before 1pm or they would be ahead of him then. So the fastest time for their first half is between 2 hours (slowest is 3hours).

So a finish time of between 3h 46 and 4h46 with a massive negative split. Not sure how this could be legitimate?

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Mr Tighe no longer in the results.....
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I suspect many of the "cheaters" may have just got into trouble in the heat and decided they'd had enough, but (in the case of charity runners like Mr Walker) didn't want to let down the charity or sponsors. I can't defend it, but I understand it. The results should not count, regardless.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Very well put Cal. Bottom line though is that however good the intentions, these guys made a decision to cheat and they haven't run the marathon. Their results shouldn't stand and they should be banned. There are so many people who would dearly love to run the London marathon but can't get in that I don't see why cheats should get the opportunity again.

• > @Gladrags said:
    > Mr Tighe no longer in the results.....

I noticed that he had been removed, it is encouraging to know that London Marathon take action on these matters, two others I have reported have also been removed.
  • I think they've let the charity and sponsors down further by cheating. Only the worst person in the world would say "oh you didn't do it? Can I have my money back?"

I honestly considered DNF on Sunday.

But I'd have made an apology to the charity and everyone who donated and stuck a donation in.

I'd have never crossed that finish line.

As it was I stuck it out and finished in my slowest time ever for a full.

But I can hold my head up high
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone would have criticised someone for not being able to finish it in those conditions on sunday either.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I suspect everyone running on Sunday thought about DNF at some point. There's no shame in DNF if you get injured, obviously, but I think anyone who pulls out because it's "too hard" has let themselves down, the whole point of the marathon is that it's difficult. The satisfaction comes from overcoming that difficulty, and anyone who finished on Sunday should rightly be proud. But cutting the course / getting the tube / whatever to 40K and then running the last 2K - no excuses. It's cheating and it's a conscious decision - these people need to take a long hard look at themselves. The rest of the world doesn't necessarily care about me running a marathon, but I feel good about myself having met the challenge. If these people are so weak that they can't finish and so insecure that they need to pretend they did, then perhaps they should find some other way to pretend they are worthwhile people.

These guys piss me off (in case it wasn't clear)!

• I was planning my DNF in mile 1.....
  • I thought about DNF from mile 13-17 but kept on going as it was my first. I feel that I let myself down by having to walk for a few hundred metres from mile 17-18 to re-focus myself though! I have no idea how these can feel any pride - especially Mr Walker!
  • Cougie and I think you and I have just become friends ? 

Brought a smile to my face 
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Mr Walker has been the focus of some attention, however now let's hear it for runner 49808, Rory O'Connor, trailing him at 20K and 40K but finally passing him (the only one to manage this after half way?) in the last couple of km when Chris seems to have taken a bit of a break. Well done for achieving that sub-4hr time that I've never managed to achieve, despite better times at half way
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    clubs switching places - this is mad. We get a few club places each year and if anyone were to get found out swapping we would most likely lose any future year allocations.
    I think we all know it goes on at smaller races, but London? Really!?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Top sleuthing Etch, second half passed 20,304 runners 
  • Nice work indeed Rory - in the 60-64 category and going sub 4.  No wonder he's proudly showing off his medal at the finish....

Blimey - impressive to see the winner of the category going sub 3.  Fantastic running.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Rory O'Connor is that the one who beat Mr Walker! Started 10 minutes after him, was behind him at halfway and then finished 12 minutes ahead of him - missing the 25k and 30k mats in the process. No bugger managed to pass him in the second half! (split are 2.41 and 1h14)
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    and he passed over 20,000 runners in the second half!!!!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I reckon these people should be hung and their bodies left dangling from Tower bridge as a deterrent to others...........
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Hung by their running shoe laces.
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Mr O'Connor ran what appears to be a legit 5:08 in 2016, crossing all mats. The boy's cut well over an hour off that time. Huge progress. Not to mention his age.

I need to walk away from this thread now