VLM 2018: How’d it go for you?

2»

Comments

  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    [email protected], you'll be back. It takes about a week to go from "never again" to "well, maybe with the right training........." and another week to get to "right then, ....."
  • WgendudW you run the 22 miles ?
  • posieposie ✭✭
    I feel much better reading all these comments, thanks everyone!

    It was my first ever marathon, I did all my training on my own because I'm not so near a running group and it was hard in the cold temps but I got through and I was heading for what I thought was a realistic 4 hours 40 but finished in 5 hours 37 and have felt pretty flat about that. Just couldn't handle the temperature on the day and was unprepared for running in crowds.

    Family and friends are being so nice and proud but I just thought it wasn't so good. And I coughed up for MarathonFoto, they have sent me 9 terrible photos of me, 2 of other people and none finishing which was disappointing.

    There was just so much more walking than I thought I'd do, the first 14 miles were ok but I felt I made the mistake of walking for a few minutes and couldn't get back into a proper run because it got harder and harder to dodge people as more and more walked - legs might have been ok to move forward a little faster but side to side was definitely not happening!

    It has really helped to see that people generally were down on their times because of the heat though and of course I do feel really lucky to have come home on Sunday, the poor poor family of Matt Campbell.
  • first full marathon for me too. I had a bit of a nightmare with an injury in the run up, meaning I only went as far as 17 miles on the long runs (new On trainers, screwed me up). Biking became my fitness from there.

    However, it may have been a blessing in disguise. It gave me a chance to check my competitive nature (massive ego!), and race a little smarter - in that heat, and with so many folk about, I think it helped.

    Anyhow, I set out with a plan for a cut pace 8:30 miles and finished in 3:45:34 (so 34 seconds off projected finish time!) - all things considered, I have to be happy with that. I don't honestly think I could have gone much faster.

    The truth is, with any big event we have A, B and C outcomes (in our mind - admit it!), but we get too caught up in b, and c being a failure. The reality though, is that these varied results just fall into areas of success perimeters. Keep getting the B and C results, and an A won't be far around the corner.

    Well done all on finishing - it was a tough one!
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Posie, agree with the MarathonFoto thing: I had a look to see what they had of me.  Six.  Two of which are effectively dupes.  Err, no thanks, not at that price.

    I also feel a bit flat (goal was 3:55, ended up 4:49 after tracking 10K to 3:59, then feeling a bit ill).  Was very annoyed by how many obviously slow runners had clearly started in fast pens, though - I'm going to write a rant/post about this right now ;)
  • I am surprised by the disappointment in such great times! I’ll never run a marathon in under 3 hours! Or 4 for that matter!
    Wish I could. My body hasn’t recovered from having a baby and at 36 I’m passed my best speed wise.

    it was my first marathon and I had trained hard to finish in 4:30. I was on track at half way point but by that time it was heading on for 1pm and we were out in the red hot sun. I felt very sick between miles 16-19 and was forced to run/walk and also stop twice to heave. But by mile 20 I got a second wind and ran slowly all the way back. Finished in 5:05 and know I’m capable of better but it all boils down to the day- and the day was boiling! I’m just pleased I finished and it was all put into perspective after the tragic loss of Matt. 

    I was in pen 6 and didn’t cross the start line until 10.33- which meant those in the later waves had more time running in the peak sun than those in the first pens. I didn’t struggle to pick up water at stations but apparently those in the last waves had to go miles without as stations were empty. Seems unfair to me.

    Also don’t know how slower runners could have got into faster pens as marshals would only allow you into the pen number on your bib, only way they could of is if they had put stupid finish times on their entry form. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    laurah82 said:
    I am surprised by the disappointment in such great times! I’ll never run a marathon in under 3 hours! Or 4 for that matter!
    Wish I could. My body hasn’t recovered from having a baby and at 36 I’m passed my best speed wise.

    it was my first marathon and I had trained hard to finish in 4:30. I was on track at half way point but by that time it was heading on for 1pm and we were out in the red hot sun. I felt very sick between miles 16-19 and was forced to run/walk and also stop twice to heave. But by mile 20 I got a second wind and ran slowly all the way back. Finished in 5:05 and know I’m capable of better but it all boils down to the day- and the day was boiling! I’m just pleased I finished and it was all put into perspective after the tragic loss of Matt. 

    I was in pen 6 and didn’t cross the start line until 10.33- which meant those in the later waves had more time running in the peak sun than those in the first pens. I didn’t struggle to pick up water at stations but apparently those in the last waves had to go miles without as stations were empty. Seems unfair to me.

    Also don’t know how slower runners could have got into faster pens as marshals would only allow you into the pen number on your bib, only way they could of is if they had put stupid finish times on their entry form. 

    Imagine thinking people would tell fibs when asked their expected finish times, just to get into a further-forward starting pen............that's crazy talk!
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to you all for completing the marathon on Sunday. A marathon finish is always something to be proud of, and everyone did particularly excellently to get through it in those temperatures (I did a 10k on the Saturday and that was quite enough!).

    For some reason, never having been tempted by the VLM before, I seem to have developed a desire to run it - so will probably be entering the dreaded ballot, and if/when that fails, entering the draw for our one coveted running club place. I am very curious though about course congestion, and how people found it generally, particularly in comparison to other races they've done. Have seen some comments above about it being difficult/claustrophobic, and some of the shots shown on TV make it look completely packed shoulder to shoulder, which I can't quite imagine in a race! I would obviously expect a good bit of weaving round people, and have been on busy courses/at packed start lines before, but is this on a totally different level from other races? For example, I've run Edinburgh and Valencia marathons, both of which were major-ish events although of course not nearly as huge as London, and don't recall any significant crowding while running. The only thing I didn't enjoy at Valencia was the packed start pens - felt pretty hemmed in and stifled - however, everyone spaced out perfectly as soon as we crossed the start line, so the race itself was great and one of my favourites to date! But not sure if I'd have liked it as much if the whole run had that cramped feeling...
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    It's definitely shoulder-to-shoulder.  I was even pushed - on purpose - in the first mile or so.  I gave the pusher a good bollocking, but understood the frustration so we shook hands afterwards.  Otherwise, it was extremely friendly apart from a few runners who'd barge into you or across your path without any hesitation... luckily, my next race has a cap of 250 runners so that should be somewhat more sparse!
  • Well done to all who finished on Sunday - an outstanding achievement irrespective of the time across the line!

    In contrast to many, I'm fairly happy with my London experience... but I always knew it was going to be tough running immediately after Boston 6 days earlier. I'd hoped for back-to-back sub-4:00 and was on track for that up until about 20 miles when my legs pointed out that I was being stupid and there was nothing left in the tank. Actually didn't feel too bad - just couldn't move my legs any faster. Was happy to run the whole distance and bag a 4:05:50 in the end.

    The crowds supporting were amazing - and, yes, the running crowds were big... I was lucky to be going from the green GFA start so I think it wasn't quite so bad as the mass starts, but I'm very short and get very stressed in close crowds so I always run right on the far edges of race packs - on the far left on Sunday - and found it easier to move freely. I'd recommend this for those of you worried about running in crowds. This also meant that the photographers seemed to find it very easy to snap pics of me on the way round... a total of 49 acceptable pics (acceptable in their quality - only spoiled by my stupid gurning face being in them :lol:)


  • rodeoflip said:

    laurah82 said:
    I am surprised by the disappointment in such great times! I’ll never run a marathon in under 3 hours! Or 4 for that matter!

    Wish I could. My body hasn’t recovered from having a baby and at 36 I’m passed my best speed wise.



    it was my first marathon and I had trained hard to finish in 4:30. I was on track at half way point but by that time it was heading on for 1pm and we were out in the red hot sun. I felt very sick between miles 16-19 and was forced to run/walk and also stop twice to heave. But by mile 20 I got a second wind and ran slowly all the way back. Finished in 5:05 and know I’m capable of better but it all boils down to the day- and the day was boiling! I’m just pleased I finished and it was all put into perspective after the tragic loss of Matt. 



    I was in pen 6 and didn’t cross the start line until 10.33- which meant those in the later waves had more time running in the peak sun than those in the first pens. I didn’t struggle to pick up water at stations but apparently those in the last waves had to go miles without as stations were empty. Seems unfair to me.



    Also don’t know how slower runners could have got into faster pens as marshals would only allow you into the pen number on your bib, only way they could of is if they had put stupid finish times on their entry form. 


    Imagine thinking people would tell fibs when asked their expected finish times, just to get into a further-forward starting pen............that's crazy talk!

    No need to be an arse.

    I couldn’t think of anything worse than starting in a faster pen and being continuously overtaken!
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Wow, Little Nell, I'm in awe of your running both Boston and London. Brilliant stuff indeed – an unforgettable few days. And could there have been more of a contrast in weather between the two?! :smiley:

    Thanks to you and jtced for the insights/advice about the crowds. All food for thought! I guess all in all, the atmosphere and general friendliness (plus of course all the supporters!) make up for the disadvantages of the crowded course. Good idea though to run on the far edge of the pack - that makes a lot of sense.
  • Being a bit of a lump and not a particularly fast runner my aim going in was a sub 4:30 and I came away with 4:28:57 so basically bang on and I'm overjoyed with that time!! Conditions were awful considering what we had to train in so all in all we should all be very proud of our achievements!!
    It was my first VLM but actually my 3rd marathon the previous 2 being trail marathons which I found very tough going due to cramping up around the 16-18 mile mark during both and just getting inside 5 hours.
  • Congratulations everyone!!

    This was my first marathon attempt. I'd trained for 4hr15 but very happily found that I was pregnant in early March. I've been feeling too ill to keep up with my training plan but am out of the woods now. On advice from a sports physiologist and my doctor, I re-set my goal as a run/walk with a target time of 6 hours - so delighted to report that I finished in 5:47, without any noticeable dehydration (the main risk apparently in my condition). I suspect not really running for a time made it more fun.

    Yes, it was busy, noisy and crowded, but what a fabulous atmosphere from the crowd. Loved the bands, etc too. I started at the back of Blue start's pen 7, so suspect I missed the worst of the crowding. Also, us slow people ended up running through some pretty disgusting compostable-cup slurry at the two experimental water stations! And they had run out of water at some of the water stations as I passed (miles 18 and 22 I think). Most people around me were more or less just walking from about mile 18 onwards (me included!) which definitely made it harder to make progress for those who were running.

    I also stuck to the left and have about 20 middling quality photos, but I'm pulling weird running faces in all of them except the one taken in the toilet queue . . .

    It was absolutely an experience to remember. Would I do London again - no, that was a one-off for me. Will I do another marathon - yes, but probably a trail one. Might give it a year or so though!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Sorry Laura, no offence meant. I was trying to be sarcastic, as I know that there are loads of people who put down "optimistic" expected times to get into start pens which they really shouldn't be in, seems to be a common practice. Wasn't having a go at you.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

    The rhinos all started in pen 7. Is there no general instruction that big fancy dress should start right at the back these days?

  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Can rhinos read?
  • My fourth marathon, and a very different experience.

    My last two have been just under and just over four hours so with a few hiccups in the lead up to London and the weather I adjusted my goals.

    Seemed OK until my knee was giving me some pain around mile 10, went through half in about 2:15 so about what I was aiming for. 

    The last eight miles or so were a real battle.

    Got home in about 4:50 and wasnt too disheartened despite it being my slowest marathon.

    The crowds and atmosphere are unlike anything I've seen before, at times almost too much. So glad to have finally admitted to myself I wanted to run London. However I'll be back next week. Watching from the sidelines 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
        :half_not_full22 said:

    The crowds and atmosphere are unlike anything I've seen before, at times almost too much. So glad to have finally admitted to myself I wanted to run London. However I'll be back next week. Watching from the sidelines 
    I'd give it another 51 weeks or so!
  • Echoing the comments of so many runners -

    This was my first ever Marathon. I ran the Big Half in 1:53 and was doing good mileage sticking to the training plan so I was quite hopeful of a sub-4 finish.

    Unfortunately nothing worked on the day in the melting heat which was exacerbated by so many of us runners running in a close formation with full sun overhead. It felt like 30+c. I did the first half in 2:00 and then basically fell apart to finish in 4:40. A run with @"Harmander Singh 2" earlier in the year helped me visualise the finish and keep going for the last 5 miles.

    I think the heat caused my heart rate to a peak at start to 190 (I am 38) and I ran full 4:40 on a peak heart rate which felt extremely painful. I need to practice slower runs at lower heart rate and have another go at this..
  • Well done everyone - us pacers also found it hard but apart from one or two (from 43) all did it on time

    Thank you Shree

    We could not take up the 'advice' of adjusting our race plans 

    Patsy and I were the 5 hour pacers from Blue start - we ran our different strategies (a slightly faster start versus even paced) but both crossed the line in 4:57:41 with our real target being 4:58. 

    It was Patsy's 190th marathon and my 131st
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander, amazing stuff :smile:

  • Thank you jtced

    Ballot on Monday and it all starts again

    Good luck everyone
  • A marathon is a marathon and for anyone who completes the distance is an accomplishment not considering the conditions. The medal is your lasting memory of the achievement that running the distance entails.
    This was my first London Marathon and 3rd in total. I had trained hard and knew what I could potentially achieve. I had a pace I wanted to go at, not knowing if I could maintain that for fully 26.2 miles but with the unusual conditions, I did ease back around 25 secs per mile and managed to hydrate / fuel well and run sub 3. The feeling of what if, is easily displaced by the delight of running under 3 hours as I hadn't achieved this before. Laurah82, well done but don't consider yourself past your best, I only started running three years ago and am 40. You're just coming into your prime!!
    Rodeo, are you running Alloa in June? Good Luck - it was my midway run to gauge where I was and give an indication pre-London.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Buzz2, yes I'll be at Alloa. 2 weeks after the Liverpool R&R marathon so time may not be the fastest. But at least we should be snow-free in June!
  • *15 secs per mile (not 25 secs) off target pace.
    Good luck Rodeo
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Got Liverpool marathon first, Alloa will not be run at 100%. Will be taking it easy and "enjoying" the view from that stupid hill at around 11 miles.
  • Well done all! I've done two marathons and won't be doing anymore, prefer the shorter stuff. It looked brutal out there.

    Interesting comments around the crowd and other marathons. I totally get when runners 'appreciate' the brilliant support at London, but can find it overbearing. My mate feels exactly the same and gives Berlin as an example. It's one of the majors and the support is 'good' but it's just not so 'full on' as London, making it a bit easier to concentrate on your running (not to mention the special bouncy Berlin roads..)

    Mind you I've been at London supporting every year apart from 2004 when I ran it - so part of the issue myself ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.