Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW - I'm not knocking you. Your run was awesome and a better performance for me than the others in your list, you'd have PB'd on a cooler day, even though you coped well. The difference for me was those 5 runs, I was planning to do 3 in the 4 day Easter break but pulled up lame. If I can get back to it I hope yo use the bank holidays for extra long runs pre Yeovil.

SJ - NF isn' the same race, and is now 50% trail, so won' be quick, I'm doing it as when I've raced tri in the new forest it's always struck me as a privilege to race there. Not sure sub3 is doable for me there.
  • CharlieW said:

02:38:46 VLM2013
    02:39:43 VLM2014
    02:40:05 VLM2015 (twanged hamstring in mile 25)
    02:38:56 VLM2016
    02:38:30 York2016
    02:38:53 VLM2017
    02:38:54 Chester2017
    02:39:22 VLM2018

Average=02:39:09 Standard deviation=32 seconds! And I swear I'm not holding back, every time I am totally pushing it -- I think I've just found my physiological limit, and my training gets me to it every time (famous last words). Obviously age will win eventually though.
    A machine!  That's incredible consistency.  I'm sure I remember reading a post from you 3 or 4 years back and you were comfortably into your forties, which would mean that you've maintained this standard well into them.  Even more impressive if i've remembered that right.
  • Great running from so many on Sunday, whether that was perfect pacing, gritting out the last few miles or carrying Dan over the finish line, well done to one and all.  From my view on the Sofa, it look pretty bloody tough.

CW - near perfect run, your training may well be a little from leftfield but it looks to have been perfectly executed.
    AL - another who paced it really well, brave to run without shorts on but it must have helped with keeping cool.
    Great run from Selbs
    ES - Very well paced.
    LS - You ran really well, don't let 26 seconds ruin it for you.
    CD - sounds like a bit of a shit day.
    Wardi -Looks like your experience paid off

I really missed not meeting people at the Red Lion so I've decided I'm running next year.

Sorry to those I've missed.

I may have overcooked the mileage in the last couple of weeks (225 miles in 14 days) so I've eased off this week. I've got another 10 days until a sort of taper so back to it today. 

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've been down in Dorset for a few days with mini-Padams so not logged in since the race. I've just skimmed back so I haven't remembered everyone's results I'm afraid!

CW - must be the best run on the thread to get so close to your PB. Very impressive.

Al_P - also very nicely done. You came past me after about a mile and I decided to hold back, never saw you again!

Dan/Crab - sorry to hear you struggled, but good that you got to meet up en route!

ES - another rare case of someone pacing it very well! Good work.

Wardi - very sensible to make that decision and salvage something on a tough day.

TR - good to hear you're planning some races where you can cash in all those miles.

Short version from me: 2:37:14 (95th place exc. elites), which was around a 5 minute positive split.

I was quite disappointed with the Champs start this year - long queues for the loos (and just the portaloo style, not posh ones) and officials being a bit too strict e.g. not letting me onto the road to warm up with about 20 mins to go.

I made a last minute decision to take a buff with me - I put this around my neck and poured water on it at every opportunity. This seemed to work as I never felt excessively hot.

First mile was about 5:40 and felt like marathon effort. A couple of groups (inc. Al_P) came past but I was consciously letting them go rather than tag on the back, thinking that there was no risk of running too slow in the first half! The first 4M or so were around 5:40 but then a similar effort starting resulting in closer to 5:50s. I was fine with that as it felt OK and I knew 2:30 wasn't happening.

I don't have all the mile splits but 10M was 57:30 and I still felt OK, thinking 10M steady and then give everything in the last 10k. I ended up alone on Tower Bridge which was pretty cool (although for some reason I preferred Cutty Sark this time) and passed halfway in low-76. At this point I was running with a guy from North Wales RRC and we ran most of the rest of the way together.

Even at HW I was thinking I could at least maintain 5:50s for a 2:33ish but from then on the splits just seemed to gradually slip and I just had no zip in the legs. I felt the first twinge in my hamstring at around 18M so from then on it was just a case of trying to get to the finish without cramping up. The headwind was actually annoying me more than the heat and the pace slipped to 6:0x then 6:1x. Around 24M I felt a much bigger twinge but managed to catch it soon enough to not lock up, but it was just survival at that point.

On Birdcage Walk I spotted someone ahead that looked very much like Marigold, which perked me up a bit. I was closing and starting to feel a bit happier about life, but then at the 600m to go point the hamstring went completely and I had to stop. It was just a solid lump and pulsating in a weird way. So I gently stretched and after about 20s managed to get going again (to a huge cheer from the crowd!). The run to the finish was actually better (except PP overtaking me!), so maybe I should have stopped to stretch earlier.

I was initially disappointed because I didn't feel like the heat affected me too much (I never felt that hot), although I guess it must have in reality. Having since spoken to a large numbe of runners, I'm happier with my result as it seems like relatively speaking I probably did OK.

Had a nice few days on the south coast and my legs actually felt OK, so did a short run along the prom yesterday morning - fantastic views in the sunshine.

I've got a few shorter races coming up so will try to add a bit more speedwork, but the mileage will be reduced for family time.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed all of the post-marathon reports.
    Padams writes.....I probably did OK.  Mate you did incredibly well...what a run and with hamstring issues too.  Interesting on using the buff might try that on a warm Spanish one. 
    Crab - Just seen the pictures online of your and Dan's last few miles - painful viewing. So you weren't tempted to be this years Matt and David Wyeth.  Glad you've got the marathon bit between your teeth again - whats the next one?
    Joe - Great report, sounds like you had a blast, love your attitude. 
    CW - Amazing top-notch consistency.....PB on a slightly cooler day.
    BEJ - Well run, nicely managed and congratulation for the Berlin 2019? qualifying.
    Been a decent recovery+1 week so far, 13m off-road trail run on Tuesday and a plesant 10m in the sun this morning.  Looking forward now to a good 8 weeks of training.
  • Couldnt Run A BathCouldnt Run A Bath ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    LMH - Yes I'm going to give Yeovil a go again.  It's a bit Vicar of Dibley but is local and needs must if I want another bash next year given my GFA time is a bit too close to the cut off for application to be confident I'll get in - although the carnage Sunday won't have harmed that cause.

OO - Dan suggested a touch of Spirit of London action as we made the first turn towards Buck Palace but as we both looked up (which judging by the photos was a rarity!) there was a guy in between two others helping him along and I swear his legs weren't in contact with the ground - I'm not sure he was actually conscious.  We decided we'd been beaten to it.  Dan said something about Vassos Alexander being there but I have no idea what he looks like so couldn't confirm or deny and needed to resume our extensive joint search for the pound coin Dan dropped somewhere between mile 24 and the finish.

Hezza - amazing that you knew I didn't want to run along the prom yesterday morning.  Insightful.  Thanks for not asking.

All feels pretty serviceable this end so now Hezza's fckd off back up North hopefully it's safe to resume a bit of light running. 

As you were.
  • If anyone thinks there's a 'one size fits all' approach for marathon running (nobody here does I'm sure!) take a look at the MV50 winner from Sunday.  Crossed the line with marigold, with a bit more of a physique on him than most of us, certainly more than marigold!  Otherwise fits the usual criteria for decent older runners: good runner in his 20s, then gave it up to do other things (bodybuilding?) and started again in his mid-40s.  2:35 aged 52 is pretty good!

Good to read the reports - some great runs in difficult conditions.  Agree with padams on the champs start.  Warm up got cut short and the queues were definitely longer.  On the plus side they put carpet in the tent, which was nice.  Best bit of the day, as it turned out!

I read CW's list with some envy, having had a similar run of results over 8 years but which with heavy heart I have to admit is behind me.  The frustrating thing is that the consistency of training that got those results just doesn't do it any more - even if Sunday had gone well I'd have been a good way behind where I was a couple of years ago.  Happens to us all I know but it would be easier to deal with if there was some injury put it down to.

Still, onwards and downwards.  Time to get out on the bike more, with the occasional HM thrown in to keep running ticking over before a relatively short build-up to Chicago. 

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

yeah CD he's a bit good, think he holds a couple of world records with his fast son as well, remember reading about him after the big half...

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/great-britain/father-son-break-half-marathon-guinness-world-record-in-london/13982

hope everyone sufficiently recovered to get back to it, I'm off for a jog.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TR -- ah don't worry I didn't feel got at -- just that you disapproved of one aspect (my full distance runs, esp 2 weeks out from the race) but approved of another (back to back long runs), yet I can't be sure what effects each had. (And thanks SB -- I'm now 48, so the writing's on the wall really!)

Padams -- excellent work, and you were absolutely right to back off with the hamstring threatening. Mine felt a bit crampy and then made a sudden physical "twang" in 2015, and although I finished on it, I was out of action for about 6 weeks afterwards. I presume I just overfatigued the muscle through overoptimistic pacing until it cramped up and then that caused a bit of a tear. Hope you got away with yours OK!

CD -- your streak had slightly better numbers, and at slightly higher age, I recall... On the champs start loos, although there seemed to be longer queues, maybe the pattern has changed to one or two fast-moving queues commanding a larger number of loos, where previously there were multiple parallel short queues? I was glad to get an additional bottle of water for drenching my hair from the tent, anyway.

I feel absolutely DOMS free now -- no worse than after the Cambridge HM. Cycled today anyway to get back quickly from a blood donation, but (as usual) I'll probably give in and try jogging to work tomorrow.

• Sounds like a good race to me Padams.

Take it easy Charlie.

I will hopefully see you there then Crab - assuming I can get back running in the next few days.

I'm jealous OuchOuch, can't wait to get back running.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Surprised that CRAB failed to notice that I was "running" in the gutter (appropriately) for a reason.  Partly to keep out of everyone's way, but mainly I was using a the double red lines as a means to focus on staying upright.  Occasional wobble over the kerb meant I had to use the barriers to remain vertical.

Do remember to offering him the chance to be famous coming down the Mall, but Vassos A was one of two people helping someone else who looked like he was actually unconscious.

Only bonus from Sunday, was that I didn't actually move quickly enough to get any fatigue at all.
  • Dan A - master of the understated marathon finish:-) Really pleased there don't appear to be any adverse ill effects Dan.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CD - that guy overtook me in the last mile or so and I did a double-take! I've now read about his background and it makes more sense.

CW - no, it was just cramp, no lasting damage.

Crab - no worries, I didn't want to bother you. It was quite spur-of-the-moment as I was woken at 5am by mini-Padams...

On a positive note, I'm still coping with the press-up challenge, including doing them on VMLM day when I got home. At this stage I can still get it done in about 10 mins so not a problem. I have a 50M race in July though and that could be the breaking point - the race starts at 11:30am so I'll either have to do them before the race or very soon after, neither of which are ideal!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Graham's brother isn't a bad one either. He ran 2.12 for the marathon back in 1993 and has a 62 min half to his name. As a 52 year old he ran a then world record of 31.35 at Trafford 10k but it ended up the course that was about 100m short. 

Padams, you prob ran a bit with his son at London. He was with me for a bit and I ran through miles 9-10 in the group you was in. I was hoping to get to halfway in 1.15 but I was cooked at 10 miles so called it quits. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD/Charlie.. as someone who is past his best/over the hill.. my patented formula for 'signs of decline' is as follows..  when one day you realise that you haven't run a PB over any recognised distance, or got anywhere near it (say 5k to 26.2m) for 2 years then your best days are almost certainly over.  I always advise my club mates on an improvement curve to enjoy it and soak it up while they can.  Collect whatever memories, medals, photos etc that will remind you of your peak if you like that sort of thing.  The tantalising thing is you never know when you have peaked until you're over the other side of the curve.  FWIW I was running just as well at 50-52 as I was in my early forties but the wheels got rusty soon after that. 

Padams.. cracking run on the day, glad the hamstring was nothing serious.

SL.. lots of miles being banked there, great stuff.

Charlie.. conistent consistency of the regular kind there, chapeau.  Looks like you prefer the Yorkshire air to knock that 30-60 seconds off though  ;)

Managed a 5m run yesterday without too much discomfort, having a steady run with a club beginners group tonight which should keep the handbrake on.  I've got a GFA time nearly 8 mins inside the cut for VLM 2019 from York so I will gamble that that's enough and forgo the ballot.  

I did notice that VLM was perceptibly busier than my last visit and indeed the finish total of circa 35000 a few years back has crept up to 40,000.  I do hope it's not going the same way as the GNR.  

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Padams - sounds like you coped pretty well until the cramp. Maybe that was heat related though?

CW - you can guess as to why your doms is less this time.

Wardi - your gfa -8 is good enough I reckon as an m18-39 needs a 2.52 to be equivalent.

Stu posted some training, so I will too, just to show dome of us still have campaigns on the go. Double digits last night and this morning with minimal ankle (and no hammy) complaints. I have a month to plat catch up in readiness for the thread day out in Wiltshire.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tempted to enter Brighton in case my Yeovil gfa attempts fails (or bails), anyone know when it usually fills by?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    What's on in Wiltshire TR? Yeovil's in Somerset :D
    IIRC Brighton usually fills up as soon as the VLM ballot rejections are received.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I stand corrected then, it's a bit further west than I thought, I had it closer to Salisbury. Still doable on a Sunday morning though. What month is the vlm ballot announced?

• Padams - as others have said, you had a good run considering the cramp. Pleased to hear there is no lasting damage.

TR - glad to hear you're back out there and the hamstring has cleared up.

Wardi - you've given me hope! I'd like to lay down a few more PB's before I get too old!

I still haven't bothered with a run but did do another easy wattbike session today just to keep the legs moving. I am going to see if I can get through a week without giving in to temptation.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Early September I believe TR.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wardi - I noticed the number of finishers was marginally over 40,000 too. Given the number of dropouts, there must have been more like 45,000 starters/registrations, which is definitely higher than it has been.

TR - yes, it is possible/likely that the cramp wasn't helped by the heat/dehyrdation etc. I just never felt particularly hot, which was why I was a bit disappointed because I didn't feel that the heat was a good reason to have had a slow run. But even if I didn't feel hot it must have had an effect.

ML84 - probably, I can't really remember who I was running with most of the way, it's all a bit of a blur! The only person I remember is the NWRRC guy because we ran alone together for quite a long way.

Busy with work stuff today so another rest day but that's fine!

• Padams - was wondering where you'd got to post-race and was looking forward to your check-in. A very good run, taking into account the conditions, you should be really pleased with that. Hope the hamstring is ok, and great effort for keeping the press-up challenge going. It's going to get tricky!

Dan, would have loved to see you and CRAB coming down the mall arm in arm. Shame others were their to steal your glory. Sorry it didn't come together for you on the day, as going in i think you were in great shape. Valencia again?

After a few easy days getting back into training with no adverse effects. 3x15 min efforts on the bike yesterday before 12x800m at somewhere between HMP and 10k pace (2:45 per rep)  this morning along the Seine. I'm out in Paris with work again, so trying to fit it in around busy days. 
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Just thought I’d pop in and say ow do. 

I see TR’s geography is as impressive as Dan’s attempts to ‘run’ anything quicker than a 10 minute mile down the Embankment. Rather than staring at the wall when you’re on the turbo you should get an atlas on the wall fella. 

Charlie’s run merit a reasonable. 

Not sure what what the issue with the heat was. It was only about 12C and raining up Lake District-cestershire. I feel most sorry for wardi having to run round in his smoking jacket wooing the ladies. 

padams - the NWRRC chap is MArtin Green. Nice fella. I shared an apartment with him in Berlin a couple of years back. For the Marathon that is. I didn’t just randomly go on holiday with him. 

Nice to see CRAB back. How long has it been? 2-3 years? Hope you’re well anyway.

Still not running here. That’s over a year now. Magic. 
  • Good to see you LS21 - sorry to hear that you're still unable to run, any progress at all?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - Sorry to hear your on the bench again?  Hopefully nothing too serious.
    Padams - 41,003 started off, 40,255 had finished by 7 pm on Sunday so 98% finished. Amazing really. 
    Wardi - Thanks for that - 54 this year  :'(  ! Better make a bit more of an effort then. 
  • I hope not too OuchOuch but apart from four miles on Tuesday when I thought it was better I haven't run for a week - a mystery swelling on the outside edge of my left foot which is irritating the ankle joint which has then set off my normal knee issue (though fortunately that seems to be staying the right side of manageable I dare not push it, I don't want it to go bang again and have weeks out).
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    LS21 -- you're sorely missed! No progress then?

Wardi -- my 2nd anniversary of my marathon PB comes up this October so I'll know if I'm over the hill then! (Will be doing Chester so the wrong side of the Pennines...)

Take care LMH.

I said I usually crack and run to work on the Friday, then regret it. Well thinking myself completely DOMS-free, I started to do so today... and my R calf felt like it was in shock and about to go into a horrible spasm after a few hundred metres. Turned around and got on my bike instead. At least I know I wasn't holding back any beans last Sunday...
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    LMH/CW - a little bit yes, but not loads. I've had all sorts of treatment as well as an MRI and CT scan - hammy is still far from good (I tore it quite badly and it's not really healing properly) and an issue with my S1/L5 vertebrae in my back. The latter is probably the root cause I think, as I feel like something is 'pulling' my hammy constantly. Actually it's hammy and adductor magnus where I'm having the issues, so I don't know. Spending most of my time sitting on various shaped/sized balls to try and find trigger points. Also using a massage stick a lot, although where the issue is (right at the very top/inside of my thigh) means I'm continually punching myself in the bollocks which is marvellous. 

Must admit I did miss not being there last weekend (mostly to laugh at Dan) so I'm giving it one last major effort to see if I can get back. Just caning the rehab and trying to strengthen my core, but it feels a bit like I'm pissing in the wind at times. Still got GFA for next year (and it's guaranteed, as I was only 26 seconds outside a Champs place) but I'm not overly confident. Still, there we are.

CW - are you back in Keswick this summer? If so I'll try and meet up with you again. Gives you something to look forward to :smile:
  • Sensible decision Charlie.

Keep the faith LS21 - rooting for you here.