London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have you read the article on the home of the guy that lost his number which someone else found and finished the race, posing with his medal. That is equally disgusting, posing like he owned!
  • Club runners really should know better.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I remember that guy pushing through to the front of the champs start telling everyone that's what he was going to do.  In hindsight he obviously turned up late at the champs start area to avoid the checks on club kit etc.
  • Just read about the guy who lost his number and the bloke that finished with it to get a medal.

How do you lose your number along the way ? I don't think the original runner collapsed or anything but he was stopped from getting onto the Mall because he didn't have his number on. Which is fair enough - it's kind of important. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    the rules in the final instructions state that you will be removed. It was hardly blowing a gale on sunday so it is surprising he could 'lose' it. It is more the pure dishonesty of the chancer that took to then take the complete and utter mick by posing for pictures.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Top sleuthing Jon, not really a big deal although him and his club won't get in again (I hope)

I can't quite fathom how someone could lose their number either. He would still have the chip on his laces so I'm surprised he didn't make more of a fuss (or maybe he did...)
    Also for a number to fall off, all pins must have failed simultaneously AND not be noticed by anyone.
    I was wetter than a haddock's bathing costume at 40km so it's not as if the numbers disintegrated.
    Marketing trick to get the sympathy pounds coming in? Or am I just cynical?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Perhaps he was using some of these event pins that people seem prepared to pay good money for!! The numbers are pretty robustly made. Mine was soaked but I have it in a drawer at home and it is completely undamaged now it is dry.

I wonder if it has resulted in an upsurge in his fund raising account. I can't see anyone not wanting to finish the marathon when they had run 40k, regardless of your charitable purpose.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Not that I am acting for the defence m'lud.. back in 2014 I was tripped at 16m by a runner who ran behind me to hug someone in the crowd.  Apart from having bloodied elbows & knees my number was hanging on by one pin and even the chip had pulled off one of it's tie on tags.  Fortunately a sympathetic lady in the crowd patched me up and even re-attached everything so on I went.  Apart from an incident like that, as you say highly unlikely that these would simply 'fall off'.
  • If it is a fundraising ploy the story on RW home page is going to do him a lot of good! I struggle to see how you could lose your number too I must say, it looks quite firmy attached in the earlier pictures of him.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • My God, this thread is so addictive.

I can't believe that Superfly Walker and Rory O'Connor are STILL in the results.

The "lost" number is definitely a bit suspect. Even the RW article says that he "allegedly" lost it. If VMLM disqualified him at the end for no number, how come he's still in the results. And, as posted above, his chip would still have registered at the finish even though he lost his number but strangely there is no chip time for the finish.

• JoelDJoelD ✭✭✭
    I wonder if VLM are going down the innocent until proven guilty route for DQs after that chap got booted a couple of years back only to be reinstated after a very public appeal (from his mum IIRC). That might explain the continued presence of Mr walker
  • Weird that VMLM haven't taken out the obvious cheats. 

Lost number man - his chip wouldn't have got up the mall as security remove people with no numbers - so no finishing time - the chip is on the shoe rather than the number. 

I guess with 40,000 runners - weird things will happen - maybe he took his top off cos he was hot and didnt notice the number fell off. Or his pins rusted through...

I'm quite surprised some paper hasn't taken up the cheats as a story - lift it from here and bob's your uncle a ready made scandal. 
  • What angers me is mr. Walker has previously been "result in query" but is no longer
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    if that isn't resolved over weekend we all need to e mail vmlm pointing his cheating out. 
  • dctdct ✭✭✭

My God, this thread is so addictive.

This.
  • Can anyone tell me why the real 35719 has a  blue tag on his shoe? As does his mate?

Mine and all others I saw were red 
  • The tag was blue on one side and red on the other. Didn't matter which way up
  • > @cougie said:
    > The tag was blue on one side and red on the other. Didn't matter which way up

Ha ha. Thanks ?
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned this one to me. From the race photos there are two runners wearing 31532. Photos of both at the finish, and at Tower Bridge. The one in yellow finishes looks to be finishing at around 13:00, so is the one wearing the real (timed) tag. The one in white finishes with others at around 14:00 and doesn't pose for a photo with a medal. Both numbers appear to have a New Balance logo, so not from a previous year. Probably a good copy, or a photoshop of a similar number, but not clear whether one or both are at fault.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That 31532 is strange.  The guy in yellow appears to hold the genuine number, as it looks like his vest is that of the running club associated with that number.  But whether the other guy photocopied the original number, or what, as you say isn't clear.  From the pics, I think both appear to have timing chips on their shoes.  Odd. 
  • My God. This thread is so addictive 
  • Timing ? have been the same design for last 4years I think,so could be an old one! The only way that 2 people could have the same number is a quick trip to the copy shop,lol. Mind you,as my son reminded me, some years ago when we were walking over Blackheath , 7-8 young people were standing around an old mini bus all sporting the same outfits and numbers 
  • Yes, they both have chips but odds are one of them is from a previous year.  Or just a piece of coloured card.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yeah I've got all my old chips and been same last 3 years. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I have my timing chip from last year as a keyring :)  I think I got the idea from another thread on here last year.

Must be quite an elaborate thing then to think about putting an old timing chip on.  Is the assumption that the legitimate runner allowed the copy of the number to be done, or that it was mocked up from a facebook photo or something?
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    'White' 31532 can be seen finishing at 4:04:27 race time, top left of the BBC coverage of the finish-line. He is behind runners 14506 (Paul Robinson) and 5362 (Adrian Havelock), and in front of runners 29731 (Andrea Greenfield), 29040 (Rebecca Walker) and 60539 (David Barizza). Other runners detected as finishing around that time (see 'Bird's Eye View of your Finish' under the 'Results Display', 'Speed' tab for one of the above) can be accounted for, so 'white' 31532's chip was not a valid one
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    #Left Turn @ Tower Bridge!
    #Jump barrier to save 10 miles!

• If you look through all the photos there’s also a guy in a green vest with number 31532 on,that makes 3 of them I think 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Dave, I thought that initially but the guy in the green in 31332 I think.
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Race photos for 31332 (Alex Webb) confirm that his number was misread as 31532