The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Thanks Andrew, I didn't take it personally anyway.

I guess that London hyped by all because:

London, together with 
    New York (over hyped and arrogant)
    Boston (Worth it because of prestige being over 120 years old)
    Chicago (Fantastic city and people)
    Berlin (Really fast flat course)
    and Tokyo (token ethnic gesture) are all part of the Marathon Majors that most marathoners want to have on their running CV.

I have been trying to get into Tokyo for years
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    1st, WELL DONE LITTLE NELL, great results and race report from what looked like 2 of the worst conditions to have to run 26.2.

2nd, AndrewD, the London is what it is, and I think every runner should run it at least once as a great experience.

Personally I got really fed up with it after about my 18th and was tempted to put on my Tshirt, instead of my name, "No, I do not look good, so F*ck Off and MYOB", so stopped running it for everyones sake.  :o

But then I wanted to raise some money for a particular charity so ran it again and think I may do so for the foreseeable future for that reason (my GFA target is 5hours and for me at worst thats a 20mile run and a walk, at best an easy trot), so it has its uses. Might even run with Harmander in future, just leave him on the embankment and sprint in,  ;)

As regards running it for a time, no, not the best race, and needs careful planning, that said its still my PB course, (3:03:17 in '99, not that I'm obsessed in any way!) so not impossible.

• Great to see you back Nell, massive well done in both Boston & London, I watched them  both and they both looked brutal. The wind in Boston looked vicious.

Andrew, I guess London is just a bit iconic, but I don't really fancy it myself due to massive crowds and noise...then again I've never run a city marathon, closest I come is Cardiff Half, which I love. My first Marathon was Snowdonia (done it 3 times & doing it again this year). If I got a place in London I'd have to do it though.

Well done all with logging more miles.

I was away with work to Stevenage (old town) this week so a couple of runs done while I was away...Stevenage is brill for running...so many safe paths away from traffic.

550 miles YTD

•  Congrats Nell on back to back marathons. Boston weather sounded horrible, had a chuckle about the London weather, nearly the same weather as the Dubai marathon, but we call those cool conditions!!
    Glad you enjoyed BA First, I used to commute to Baghdad and would usually travel BA, either in Club or First but I prefered First as the beds are 6'6 compared to only 6 ft in Club. First world problems I know....

I'm with Andrew on the London marathon, it just seems like a huge charity run and the crowds would put me off as well as the hanging around! Largest city marathon I've done was Edinburgh twice basically as it's a great place for a weekend away. The marathon I've signed up for in Nepal is restricted to 20 runners only so shouldn't take too long to get over the start line!

Had a few days off recently and the temperatures are in the 40s now so have to pick running time carefully.

YTD 668.38 miles
  • Meant to say, some great times there Harmander. I also used to run 10k's, first race in 1988. I never beat 36 minutes never mind getting near 30!!!!
  • Afternoon,

Welcome back Nell, well worth the wait, two great race reports, very well done as everyone has said conditions were brutal to say the least.

Andrew, I agree with you regarding making London your 1st, surely a PB would be very hard, however I would love to do it one day, and have entered many times in the past and have a wardrobe full of the old Flora fleeces that they gave you when you were unsuccessful!
    I haven't however entered for a number of years now, maybe I might get a GFA one day, I am 44 so I need a 3.05 or if I wait a year it goes up to 3.10 - Unlikely but something to aim for!

Harmander - Love the story of your youth, what a great 10K time!

Finally best of luck to Steven, I believe it is Stirling this weekend, have a great run and look forward to the report.
  • Thank you David Charman and Dubai Runner - the good times ended after I got married in 1979 lol
    on 5 May, 'Er Indoors and I are running Parkrun together to mark 39 years of marriage.  Will try to pace her to do it in 39 minutes - fat chance as her PB is 39:27
  • David, I'm in the 45-49 group, so I need sub 3.10 but it's 3.53 for women. Sub 3.53 I can do, sub 3.10 maybe with a lot of training.
    Is this sex discrimination? Why not have the same times? 
  • or have gender reassignment?
  • Harmander, there just seems to be so much talk of equality and yet different times.
  • Harmander, Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary, and you never know, she might surprise you with a 37 or 38 min!

Dubai, I do agree that the general 45 minute difference between men and women does seem excessive given that the world record difference is only around 13 minutes? However I am sure there are a number of reasons as to why.

I wonder what Nell's/Lilly's thought's on this are, being our lady's.

• I wonder what Nell's/Lilly's thought's on this are, being our lady's.

oh no
  • David, I think it’s the huge difference that I don’t agree with!!
  • I wonder what Nell's/Lilly's thought's on this are, being our lady's.

oh no
  • Dubai Runner,

After nearly 39 years of marriage I guess the huge time difference is because the missus takes an extra half an hour to get ready.
  • Harmander, again that is quite a large hole you are digging, haven't you learnt nothing in the last 39 years :D

Dubai, just guessing but maybe it is to do with the amount of men 40-49 who can run a sub 3.05 -3.10, there a quite a few on the circuit I know, however I can think of only two lady's who can run a sub 4.00 and one is Nell, the other finished ahead of me on Monday, Therefore if they were to decrease the difference, maybe, just maybe only a few women would get a GFA in the first place?

That could of course be total rubbish and the times are decided by women who just don't like us :D
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Still feeling the effects of the bug, only managed 3 miles tonight before cutting it short. 

313 YTD 
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Andrew - Hi ya, a really interesting discussion and one I am interested to hear. For my take on things I plan on running more than one marathon. I am looking at possible applying for London and or Manchester, Milton Keynes.. 

I would personally love to run London as it is my home town Marathon and one to be really proud of.

I dont see it as a PB marathon but one to enjoy then go for PBs in future runs. 

Oh and Harmander I hate to disappoint but I am indeed male. Merely a nickname I go by ?

I am really excited with the challenge to push myself on to a full marathon though..

• Lilly61,

It was David Charman who said that.  I knew that you are a man and it is why I said 'oh no'

Oh and Harmander I hate to disappoint but I am indeed male. Merely a nickname I go by ?

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Interesting to hear everyone’s views on the marathon! Fortunately I think it is an argument I will never have to seriously consider as I don’t plan to ever do one!

5 miles this afternoon - managed to avoid the rain too!

318 YTD 
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Ah ok my apologies Harmander, not that I am that bothered.. 

Andrew, I was not going to do one either to be honest but I really feel I want to get it off my bucket list!! And just want to push myself further
  • All,

First off - massive Congrats to Nell two marathon's in a week is a huge achievement. Two marathon's of such contrast - simply awesome!

Thanks for the wishes David, it's much appreciated

I have been quietly running away trying not to succumb to taper madness, maranoia - whatever it's called - and for the most part I have succeeded (I think). Apart from stubbing my little toe on a door stop and turning it purple - I have no excuses at all for Sunday (told you I'd find at least one ;) ) I think I've got the right recipe for before the race - 1 part nervous / 1 part excited / 1 part ready.

I had planned to do a wee 2 miler tomorrow to run out any nerves before, but instead I'm gonna give the stubbed toe a full day off tomorrow and go to the cinema with the wee one and stay off my feet as much as I can. God-willing by Sunday lunchtime - I'll be able to call myself a marathon runner, I can't wait!

23 Apr - 5.85m
    25 Apr - 5.85m
    27 Apr - 4.0m

YTD: 612.2 Miles
  • 12.09 miles second recovery run makes
    YTD = 971.44 miles
    Tempted to get to 1000 miles before 1 May in preparation for the marathon on Sunday week.
    Little Nell, I promise to cut back after that.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Interesting debate about the London marathon. I've done three marathons, the same one (Yorkshire) three times. Recommended, personally close enough to home to avoid an overnight stay, big enough to feel like an event (approx. 6,000), but quiet enough to run unhindered by crowds for the entire time and very well organised. 

I'd love to do London, agree about the size, the hanging around and the logistically stuff, but still really fancy it. Applied unsuccessfully several times. Will try again next year. 

I'm back at York in October, and thinking about Manchester in April 19. 

Rainy parkrun tomorrow beckons. 

YTD: 378.3
  • Good luck for tomorrow Steven!!
  • Thanks for all your marathon comments guys!

Just popping in to wish the very best of luck to Steven! You'll be great - you've banked all the training, you've gone through the maranoia, and you're ready :grin:

Don't start too fast - stick to your race plan... and see you on the other side!

I've got thoughts and comments re: London Marathon and GFA times, etc. ... but just off out to meet up with some of hubby's old friends, so will save those for later.

No running to log as yet so still:

YTD: 533.55 miles.

• Just getting in with a quick good luck to Steven, start easy and run your own race. Have a great one. 

Back onto the Ceredigion coast path for me today 9.5 miles of stunning scenery. 
    563 miles YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Steven: Enjoy tomorrow. I think you'll do well. My only tips would be start slowly, don't go off to quickly and eat well on the morning. Oh and Vaseline, lots of it.....

Parkrun today plus an extra lap as part of 'finish for Matt' and then 5k on the gym treadmill.

YTD: 385.1
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys

Steven good luck tomorrow, I am sure you will do amazing!!

With 6 weeks until my next half starting to push up the training again. 

Ran 7.9 miles today including a new PB 10k as well by 2 mins.

YTD 235.76
  • Good luck Steven, great advice from al.
    13.92 miles including Parkrun and an extra Km for Matt.
    YTD = 985.36 miles.
    I can smell the 1000 miles for tomorrow