Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that's a solid 11, Ray, and unsurprising you felt tired, after your excellent race, plus travelling. you'll be fresh and flying on race day after a restful week.   

good "hashing", TS  

15 with my daughter this morning - pleasant in shorts and long sleeves (but I'm too slow for my girl)  . . .   :)
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Ray, that's a very good time for your half marathon and there are plenty of runners half our age who would be pleased with that. I remember a half you did a few years ago and I think I'm right in saying that your time has increased by not much more than a minute for each year. That's good going. I don't suppose you had much time for sightseeing in Berlin. It was the very first place I went abroad to, in 1963, and the Wall was very much in evidence of course. 
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham,thank you.We done as much as we could with the standard open top tour bus,the guide was excellent and funny so put to bed the german no sense of humour theory.Also the day after the race we done a walking tour which took in quiet a bit.Wembley for me last night and was well beaten really,you just can't give a team of citys class time and room.Hope your toe problem eases for you.

Dave,good 15miler.Hope your son is recovering okay.

We have about eight clubmates running Brighton Marathon today so i have got the tracking app on.

• Ray
    mainly feet up time for you - just a couple of short sharp runs at race pace to keep the legs ticking over - and some real ale :p !!

Dave
    you are certainly packing in some miles.  aaahhh the divergence of graph curves between the older and younger - one declines the other goes up!!

NIce read here on an unusual marathon runner and Boston winner

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/apr/17/10-reasons-yuki-kawauchi-boston-marathon-winner-should-be-your-favourite-runner

I think I should follow his lead and shave my head (it won't take much doing nowadays!) in shame at my current efforts
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks for the article, TS - I watched the last hour of Boston on the BBC - conditions were truly horrible. A bit different to 2012, when I ran there - 31 celsius that day !!!   
    admirable that an athlete who has a full time job outside athletics can still triumph in an elite event.
  • Ray
    you probably know but it is blooming hot on the streets of London today!!  I hope it cools down a bit for the weekend for you

Dave
    yes an impressive story - like the bit that he cannot accept sponsorship as he works for a government department.
    His mum was a bit of a taskmaster
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS,yes it was hot today as I went to pick my number up.Well i guess it will be better than Boston which was horrendous.Last 4miler for me tomorrow and little else if i am lucky.
  • Ray
    all the best for Sunday and I hope it cools down a bit for you.

I shambled another 5K this morning after the same distance yesterday (what a roll!) and ended up with badly chafed inner thighs - so don't forget the necessary protection ;)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good luck on Sunday, Ray . . . .  

TS - hm, chafing no fun, but good work with the consecutive days . .  

not much to report here - had a 4 day break - partly "life" stuff, partly laziness  . .    

Dave
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Ray. 
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for good wishes,hopefully I can post my time before I go to the pub in the evening with club mates for a few pints.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    A total disaster today as i got a DNF.Only got to 9miles feeling like as i was the end of the race.My heart rate was so elevated i just couldn't carry on.Going to have a beer tonight and relax.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Ah, Ray - what a shame - enjoy the beers still, and elaborate (if you wish, of course) after the dust has settled . . .    

Regards

Dave
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Ray. At least you're ok.
  • Ray
    that is tough indeed after all the training you had put in to get you to the line in good shape :(

Was it the heat or some malignant bug that just decided to raise its head and take your heart rate so high?  I know that pollen levels were very high as well and that even those not normally affected have been bowled over by the sudden elevation in levels

I hope the beers helped drown the disappointment from what must have been a very frustrating experience - but it was good that you had the experience to know that something was not right and pull out before doing more harm.
  • I have not been here in ages life getting in the way .

Ray I am so sorry to hear you had to pull out but it sounds the right thing to do. I hope you can appreciate what you achieved by being sensible.
    Marathons are such an unpredictable event training can go really well yet on the day anything can happen.

Glad to see Torque is stilling running:-)

I had a really bad won't with illness's so two steps forward one step back . I had 3 breaks on Iow for training and went well. 
    Not so good past 2 weeks with fatigue but 2 days on the bounce 8 miles each.

I hope everyone is well and still running?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I watched much of the race as it unfolded.
    The smile on Vivian Cheruiyot's face as she won the woman's race would have lit up half the country if it wasn't already such a sunny day - due reward for a perfectly judged race and the fact that marathon world record times are not easy to come by!!

Kipchoge is an absolute master of the marathon - perfectly executed race despite the 4:22 first mile!!
    Mo did extremely well but he will realise that the 2 minute gap is a looooong way to close.

Also extremely sad as Mo took Steve Jones UK record for the race which was one I helped pace Jones to - well actually I shouted encouragement to Charlie Spedding, who I used to run with occasionally on a Sunday morning, when we passed on opposite sides of the road and Jones obviously took encouragement from that  :)
    Ye gods - that was 33 years ago :/!!
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham/Dave,I am fine now except for a bit of wounded pride.Not sure if i can totally fathom out what went so wrong yesterday but will run through the events leading up to it.Got up as usual about 6am took a blood pressure tablet for that condition,also took my blood pressure reading which was fine so no issues with that.Breakfast was my usual porridge and then a short drive to the club to pick the marathon coach up to get us to the start.

Arrived at the start area and usual photos with the rest of the runners also doing it.Made my way over to green start which seemed very relaxed.My starting pen was 7 so a little way back which suited me fine.My actual plan was to try keep about 100m behind the 3:45 pacer as i knew wasn't in the 3:39 shape i did at Abingdon.Once we get going i just glance at my watch and notice my HR is 135 when i normally run about 120 for that pace i am doing.My initial thinking was it could be a spike or something but it is not coming down.The heat is starting to get to me and i am slowing down to 9:15 pace but still not feeling easy.

So many thoughts are going through my head that maybe this is just a bad patch but i am only at mile5.Trying to keep going but this is turning into death march.For some reason my body was just saying no and there was nothing i was able to do about it.With 9miles done i took the decision to pull out rather than run/walk another 17miles which would have been total agony in that heat.Made my way back to the finish to collect my bag and you go into a pen and wait with the other runners that have pulled out,my thoughts at that time were this is like the pen of shame as it is silent.

For me the worst part of the day was when i phoned daughter who was at mile 25 with my wife and grandchildren.My youngest granchild who is eleven started to cry when told the news as he was worried about me.Never felt so bad to hear that i wanted to go back and run it.Well i am not sure if i will attempt anymore marathons will have give it a bit of time to think it through.
  • Welsh poppy
    good to hear from you and that you are fighting back after illness - keep it up!
    I wouldn't say I am running - that would be an offence under the Trade Descriptions Act!!

Ray
    I think it was almost irrelevant what your HRM said - you are so experienced that you knew something was up and you were unable to respond in the race. You did the right thing to pull out when you did.
    Had to smile at your description of the "pen of shame" - I can imagine the mood was very sombre indeed in there.
    Give it time, chalk it off to experience and see what you can learn from it. Running at  this age is all about new situations and how one responds to them.  Maybe your HM in Berlin and the associated travel just took the edge off and you did not fully recover in time - it takes so little to tip one over.  There were a lot of elite runners who got it wrong yesterday as well so you were in very good company!!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Hello from Crete,
    Ray,
    I know what it feels like to dnf in the Mara so you are not alone.
    I would not under  estimate the impact of the temperature, an elevated hr is a clear sign you were not handling it well.
    You need time to adjust which you did not get.
    As you stepped out early there is no loss so you could consider another fairly soon.
    As TS pointed out, at our age it is a bit of a journey into the unknown.
    Good luck with the next one.

WP,
    Good to see you back and with your journey to full fitness.

I am still running and enjoying it but I seem to be getting even slower. I didn't think that was possible.
    Crete is wonderful. We are currently staying in a beach hotel for a few days before moving onto a villa we have rented.
    I have a great running route here but not sure what I will have when we move.

Mick
  • Mick

I hadn't realised you were going to Crete this early - but it's a lovely time to be there, everything is fresh and green before it gets burnt off by the summer sun.  Enjoy B)

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    We have just settled into our villa. It is spectacular, it is in an olive grove outside a small village and even has its own pool. The views are breath taking.
    I will be checking out the running routes first  thing tomorrow and then we will be off exploring. The Sat nav likes to take us along all back roads so it will be an adventure.
    Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sounds good , Mick B) 

hope you're feeling ok now, Ray - very tough call to have to make to your family . . 

shook off my recent lethargy today, with 12 miler in the rain - long sleeves and thin gloves weather - no consolation for you, Ray - sorry :/ 

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Mick,enjoy your holiday.Never been to Crete but seems like a nice place.

Dave,nice run in the rain and i am feeling okay now thanks.

Went to the track just to kill a bit of time really and have a social chat.Just done a very easy workout that was enough.
  • Ray - sorry to hear about your marathon - it is not nice to dnf, but it is also not nice to half kill yourself - just to finish and get a personal worst. I've been there done both! Your half probably took something out of you. It is not easy to run in the heat. You just have to look at the toll it took on the top two marathon women who tried to go for Paula's record. They should have looked at the conditions and realized it was too hot for a record. You'll be back - you did the training, look for something in about 6 weeks time and have another go. 

I haven't been running, so haven't been posting. My right knee is giving me grief now, but I have been doing plenty of puppy walking. I really did want to run Rotorua marathon this year as it is 40 years since I ran my first marathon at Rotorua in 1978. If I thought I could walk/run it I would but I would be lucky to get half way! 

Good to see you guys still keeping going. Good stuff.
  • NZC
    good to hear from you and sorry to hear about your knee troubles which sort of echo mine but on a worse scale!
    I have a mis-tracking patella in the right knee which can be bl**dy painful when it wants to be - normally when I try running!!

One of my Hash friends has just come back from an extended trip to OZ and NZ - South Island and he was very well entertained by the Christchurch Hash when he dropped in to run with them. They taught him some new drinking songs, one of which was about building a bonfire and chucking the Poms on followed by Aussies but the words have become a blur in his memory!!!

I did quite a stiff 5.2 miles, with rests, around the very pretty cathedral city of Ripon on the Tuesday evening Hash with aforesaid knee grumbling a bit towards the end and followed it up with 3+ miles on Wednesday & Thursday.

I heard on the early news this morning that large numbers of runners have been doing the 3.7 miles he hadn't managed to do in memory of chef Matt Campbell the runner who died in the marathon on Sunday.  As I have eaten his food over in the Lakes it seemed the least I could do so I shambled out on a cold rainy morning and did precisely that which is quite a long run for me nowadays
  • Torque Steer - pretty neat idea about the runners doing the 3.7 miles that Matt Campbell wasn't able to do. All very sad.

Did you watch the Commonwealth Games marathon and see the poor Scottish guy who was leading so close to the finish collapsing. It was awful to watch and nobody helped him it seemed like forever because he was winning - I was screaming at the TV set for someone to help him.

Sorry you have knee problems too, at least you can run! I'm going to wait and see if I can be pain free before I try to run again. Don't really want another op.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    I managed to rehab my knee to the point I can run pain free, but .....
    I still have to keep the strengthening exercises and be very cautious about speed work. Good luck with the recovery and let us know how you get on.

A hot one today but it is a dry heat so my 6k through the rolling hills was fun even if it was slow and amusing for the locals. I don't think they see too many 70+ joggers go by.
    Mick
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well, a sobering indicator of my decline today.  decide it was time to get a marker, so first parkrun (apart from one on a particularly slow course) for around a year.  6.5 miles first, then 1.5 afterwards to give me 11 for the morning.  23:36 official (a few seconds to start) so lets say actual 23:30 - 3 years ago I ran London at this pace !!   the (very) slight saving grace is WaVa score of 69.77%, so only 0.23 less than my self imposed "minimum respectable" score of 70% .
    Onwards and downwards !!  :/ 

Dave
  • Dave
    well do you want the bad news - or the really bad news :)!!

you really didn't give yourself a chance with a 6 mile warm up but the main point is that you have done very little high end conditioning which translates into faster leg turnover and improved speed endurance. "That's bad news" you say - well the bad news is that it gets harder to do speed endurance as one gets older!!

The really bad news is that it all really does decline with age.  In July 2014 I ran 22:20 for a parkrun after 12 months out after back surgery and recuperation. I would be lucky to run sub 30 min nowadays!!

The good news is that my thyroid levels have apparently stabilised in the "normal" range but given that the range is 0.5 to 2 in whatever they measure it in and I don't know what my "normal" level was beforehand I may still be a bit off my normal level but a bit more micro dosing will get me there. cant say I haven't noticed much improvement other than not falling asleep in the afternoon but having said that I did do a "big" run on Sunday - 4.1 miles in 40:06 which did include 90m of climb so maybe that sub 30 min parkrun is on ;)

Sad news that Bruce Tulloh died over the weekend. he was 83 which is a bit frightening..................