P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• If you think that's bad Westy, imagine what it's like still eating like you're running 120 mi a week!  :D
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    I don’t know what’s wrong with me - my food consumption has gone up beyond peak training mileage this week. Belly gonna get me. 

Nice report Macca. The Tesco meal deal on Tower Bridge did make me chuckle. 

First run back this morn. Easy 30 minutes. Quads a bit sore but legs and HR generally ok. Then  cricket/rain combo this afternoon forced a double run day on me. Not see the boys believe I am actually capable of running a marathon given how slowly I ran with ten this afternoon. 

Most importantly: I’m off to a piss up in an actual brewery. Happy weekend everyone!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the blog, spoons
  • I love a brewery/distillery tour/pissup, very jealous SQ, enjoy.

I found myself outside of The Hung Drawn and Quartered with the last of my Fullers vouchers yesterday. It tasted good on Sunday but so much better yesterday when cleaned up, not cramping up etc etc.  They must have printed over 100,000 vouchers at a guess.

Good luck the Newport 2 ? this weekend.  
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Just ordered a large Papa Johns so I’m in the same boat Westy!

4.5mi Run today. Legs don’t feel too bad. Might try a bit longer tomorrow.

Next marathon is Needles XC Marathon on 3rd June so will up the mileage again next week
  • Good to hear everyone is getting some fat back on post marathon.

10 miles with 12x800 at 5.40mm (should be about lactate pace but felt harder). Marathon still in the legs no doubt. Not feeling too stiff though, will come back soon enough. 

Currently drinking a beer al fresco at the Sacre-Coeur waiting for Katie to arrive in Paris for the weekend. Race day tomorrow so will be a long day (might only have the chance to train once  :p ). 
  • Tom... I'm green number 758. 

Still on the edge of a cold... sneezing from time to time and nose slightly runny but it's not developed further... nor gone away.  If it stays like this, I'm sure I can still run well.  Resigned to having just the 2.9m on the clock this week.  Shame, but if I can get this cold behind me, I know that the real work was done in the previous 14 weeks.

Every time I see a weather forecast, the windspeed goes up a notch.  At least it's going to be dry and cool... good news.  Hopefully that breeze is calmer than the average 13-15mph they're predicting -  then it would be pretty much perfect.  Not sure if a vest is a good idea.  Think I'll put a removable shirt over it, with a hole cut out to keep my number visible.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    NE-I'm White number 194.........hopefully see you before the start but if not good luck!

I haven't done much running since Manchester but have been eating and drinking loads so have put on about half a stone in weight. Needless to say that I will not be racing tomorrow and will just go and try to enjoy it without any time pressure. Weather looks Welsh-as it should be-damp,cool and windy.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tom and NE - hope you both have a good day. 

10 miles this morning - legs felt great so turned it into a hill session with 3 repeats of Midanbury Megaclimb which is a Strava hill segment by me and set at new PB up it. 

Needless to say say that only running 4 miles at MP last week means a quick recovery and and nice early start to ultra training. 
  • Pleased to see I'm still just ahead of you on that segment AWC  ;)

Great reading all of the reports this week, typical how the weather this weekend would have been perfect

So far have done a few runs this week of between 30-35mins. Just doing what I can whilst concentrating on strengthening again

• Best of luck for tomorrow in Newport Tom and NE. 

I hope recovery is going well for the VLMers.

Nice LT run Stevemac.

Piss up in a brewery sounds good SQ.

Nice strava segment rivalry between AWC and Scott.

My hill race went very well yesterday  - 5.6 miles with around 1650 feet of climbing in 57:17.  Mostly tarmac, field and forest tracks and a couple of miles through a gorge on a rocky path needing full concentration.  It seems I haven't lost last year's skills for covering such ground.  The only goals were to get round and enjoy it.  And I did both, particularly the latter.   After all the miles of tarmac pounding I had forgotten how hard it can be to keep running up a longer hill and was reduced to a slow shuffle jog on the steepest bits and had to walk the steps but on the flatter and downhill stretches I felt very strong.  Nice outing with several others from my running group with plenty of talk.  And I also won a voucher in the raffle :p
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Nice one Hazel.
    Best of luck Tom & NE. Hopefully you'll find a good group & get some shelter from the wind.
    3rd 5K of the week today after a day off yesterday at the new Gloucester City parkrun. No real warm-up as only had time to jog the two hundred yards from carpark before the briefing. Pleased to manage 19:13 for 6th. HR was as I'd expect - couldn't quite get it up to max but managed 97%
    I'll probably do a bit more tomorrow but back to easy pace.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Yes 4s I see Scott. My last rep was the quick one so I reckon if I give it a good single blast I’ll get into the top 10  :D
  • Good to try something different Hazel, great job!

AWC: Might have to run up there tomorrow on my long run to improve my time  ;)

Look what just came up on Facebook: https://mensrunninguk.co.uk/uncategorized/qa-james-rapid-245-finish/

40 minutes at 6:45 pace this evening, lots of happy Saints fans around

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Love the Coach's Comment knowing the inside story. 
    Sounds pretty OK Scott. When's your first track meet?
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Haha also enjoyed spoons’ description of beetroot shots: ‘the devil’s semen’!

Hope all gone well at Newport. 

Impressed Macca’s back on the long runs already. 

Easy 5 for me today. Might broach a 10M in the morning. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

2:53 for me at Newport today. Jogged the first 10 miles and then had great fun overtaking for the rest of the race with a big negative split. Comfortably my most enjoyable marathon so far!
  • 3:22:56  - a small but very welcome improvement on my 2016 pb of 3:24.xx.

Weather perfect.  A great course for runners. Went well but had to dig in big time in the last 7 miles to get that PB - which I wouldn't have got if it wasn't for Jooligan's coaching at mile 24 ;)  (hope that doesn't mean instant disqualification!)

Got to the 25 mile marker - I knew I had about a minute to spare - then at 26 I realised that a fast finish could might just get me under 3.23 and managed to do that last 0.2m at 6.25 pace.

Had sort of had 3.20 in mind but I knew I was not quite in that shape and I  was utterly ecstatic with my result.. ridiculously emotional.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the PB NE-fantastic stuff. I agree with you about the course. Hope you celebrate acordingly!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    90M on the bike down to Newport & back to support the marathon so no running for me today - other than the odd spurt motivating clubmates between 23M & 24M at Newport. Did run the full out & back in bike shoes with one person :D
    Great to see you NE. Glad to hear my coaching helped you tough it out to get that PB. Your consistent high mileage training paid off IMO.
    Did see you at 24M too Tom but you were too busy focusing on your next target/victim to hear me I think. Glad to hear you had such an enjoyable race/run as well as a very respectable time.
    Fuckin weather - I'm still shivering it was so cold out today.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done Tom. That is a great way to run a marathon and a very solid time.

Congrats on the PB NE! All your hard training has paid off and it sounds like you have everything.

Crazy bike mileage Jooligan!

Nice steady parkrun for me yesterday in 20:45 and then an easy 4 miles today. Feeling very recovered from London. Ready to start slowly ramping back up now.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff Tom! Brilliant to have such a positive race experience. And I bet the legs will feel ok for it too - in time at least. 

Heck of a finish NE - nice one! Really pleased it went well for you. Tempted by that or Brighton next year. 

Great biking and supporting Jooligan. You must have been freezing...

... talking of which, it felt so cold at 4C this morning on the canal. Absolute error not to wear gloves, and took ages to defrost in the shower after. Legs felt good, although left hamstring/glute niggle is definitely palpable. 10M at 7:30m/m. Looking forward to doing some different trail routes as the weather hopefully improves. 

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Tom - Great time, glad you enjoyed it.
    NE - Brilliant PB, congrats, training paid off for you!!
    Jooligan - Crazy bike miles and nice Parkrun time!
    AWC - Nice start to ultra training.

As for me....my last big weekend, before I start to ease off the miles. 26.2 miles on Saturday in 3:39, had a 0.25m walking break every 8 miles, was planning on walking 0.5m, but noticed I was getting cold during the walk so reduced it to get running again!! Then 13 miles on Sunday at about 8:30 min/mile average. That finished off a 64 mile week and my 3rd week of running over 60 miles and over 200 miles for the month. Legs feel ready for a cut back now. HR was higher than I would have liked on both runs, so going to see how it goes next week as got Birmingham 10k on Sunday, no taper, but hoping the reduced miles this week will help as plan to race and will head out at PB pace to see how that feels.
  • Hazel - so glad to hear the hill race went well. Sounds like the mojo is back!

Tom - fantastic run at Newport, and again really glad to hear you enjoyed it; that's why we do it at the end of the day! Always fun overtaking in the second half. Dare I ask what next now?

NE - congrats on the new PB! Awesome work, and you really deserved that. Well done mate.

Steve - good luck on Sunday, and with the taper.

A random thought popped into my head this morning. I remember HA saying to me 0.5 miles into the London this year 'there is no good time to play Rocky's eye of the tiger during a marathon, before during or after; it's just not appropriate for any part of the race'. Discuss?
  • Nice intervals on marathon legs Joe.

Sounds like a tough course Hazel! Glad to see you’re straight back in to things.

Impressive parkrun so soon after London Jools, and a monster bike ride!

Well spotted Scott. My five minutes of fame is over, wasn’t quite what I expected it to be, but an interesting experience nonetheless. Good to see you’re able to get some running in.

Congrats NE on the PB. 

Good to see you had a good run Tom and glad enjoyed it.

Looks like you’re recovering well Ramjet and SQ.

Great training marathon Steve, good luck for the 10K.

I have well and truly entered my usual post-marathon slump. HR is about 20 bpm higher than it should be for a given pace, although effort wise it feels roughly right. The legs are at least feeling reasonable, although perhaps not quite as good as I hoped given my average pace at London. Still, have to take the rough with the smooth I guess, and shouldn't complain given what a great year I've had so far. Just got to try and stay motivated, and tough out this patch until I find some fitness again!

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    NE: great PB well done - training paid off well for you and also the disciplined approach you took to Manchester. Well done for not pushing too hard that day and setting yourself up for this PB.

Tom: sounds like you had a lot of fun out there! Feels great passing loads of people in the 2nd half of a race.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB NE, 

Tom, sounds like you had fun, beating my PB in the process.

im another one that hasn’t stopped eating, have finished off all the Easter chocolate so no junk food left in the house.
    managed a total of 30 miles last week and legs starting to feel more normal.
    may even give parkrun my first proper effort of the year on Sat.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Spoons - could it be that you need more recovery rather than loss of fitness. I'd recommend sticking to low intensity/volume for a couple of weeks.
    Steve: 3:39 for a marathon with 0.25M walking breaks? Sounds like VLM to me :D though I think my walk breaks were shorter, more frequent & came later. Great block of weekend training you've been managing.
  • I get the same thing every time I take a break Jooligan, even last October when I took a week off after the Great South Run (so didn't have the fatigue of a marathon to deal with). I feel recovered, my resting HR is normal, and as I say although the HR measures much higher, I don't feel like I'm working harder. Just seems to be the way my body reacts to rest!? 
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've had Easter egg for pudding every night for a week. Even had some for breakfast yesterday.

Well done, Newport Two. And congrats on the raffle win, Hazel

Still not run since last Sunday. Top of foot still hurts (though not as bad). Physio tomorrow.

Jooligan said:
    Fuckin weather…

This.