Manchester Marathon 2018

1121314151618»

Comments

• Northender reckon I can lose 7lb to a stone comfortably if I really wanted.  Got myself under 13stone but have been as light as 11stone when I PB's on my debut half marathon in 2010 (1.34) obviously toned in legs hugely since.  There are a lot of theories about weightloss and time but one thing that is evident if its there to lose the times will drop.

Hope you and Tom let us know how Newport goes! Looks like it has the makings of a good race.

Phil I meant to reply to you earlier, I have decided to PM a reply as its a bit lengthy. have you signed up yet? Times you have set are achievable obviously no given as there are so many variables that you can and cannot control. 

• Northender - thanks, that is really very helpful and does encourage me. I can't realistically lose any weight as I'm at the light end of healthy already I suspect. But yes, the plan is to up my mileage. Good luck at Newport and that GFA target.

Rob - yes, signed for for 2019 Mamchester race as really did think it was a great race. I also happened to notice you on Twitter as we both follow Challenge Running...I'm training to do their 51.6m option in their Essex 100m event mid-July. If training goes well I will line up for it as my first Ultra.

Happy running all!
  • phil feel free to add me @robohara83 (I think).  Did Stort30 last year, well organized pleasant long run up and down river stort.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It seems most of us exceeded our goals. Personally speaking, following the 4:15 pacer was a gamble for me - I wasn't sure how long I could sustain that pace without crashing and burning. As it turned out, I only started dropping off the pace in the 18th mile, and then only a little, and it wasn't until the 22nd mile that my pace slowed down significanly. Even then, I was still 20-30 seconds per mile quicker than my easy long run pace, so I'm pleased with that and it has given me hope. Before Manchester, I was half an hour off GFA. Now it's a lot closer (though hitting 4:15 will be my next goal).

As for 2019, I probably won't do Manchester again. I've done it three times on the trot now and although I agree it's a great race, I'd like to try a different marathon. My Manchester friend and I are both rollercoaster enthusiasts and were disappointed to find most of the rides in Prater Park closed due to snow on our recent trip to Vienna, so I've a plan to do Vienna Marathon next year so we can go back and do the park properly (and hopefully in better weather).

Until then, I've Liverpool in just over 5 weeks and Chester in the Autumn.  I'm currently nursing a virus and feeling a bit stir crazy, though I did a little 2 mile amble yesterday because I was going nuts. Legs aren't bad at all, but I need to give my immune system time to recover.

Good luck with all your forthcoming races (especially, the ultra, Phil - I expect I will get around to one of those eventually).
  • Good luck in Liverpool in a few weeks Cal and Chester in the autumn. 

I'm a once a year marathoner perviously but am hoping to toe the line once more this year in a hope to continue training and improving fitness. 

Cracking run again in Mcr. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks. :) You're probably sensible.
  • Lazy more like :) 

Entered Abingdon in October as Chester is jinxed for me having entered twice before and DNS both times due to injury ! 

If I don't run London 2019 I will be back for Mcr for sure - too local and hassle free not to do it tbh.
  • Hello all. It does sound like most of us had a good race which is great. I hope everyone is starting to feel recovered and setting sights on next target.

I took five days off running completely as my quads in particular, but also hamstrings, were very sore. It took until Thursday really before I was walking without discomfort. I did a 50 mileish very hilly ultra at the end of last year and I wasn't in anywhere near as much pain afterwards as I was after Manchester! I contemplated going out Thursday evening but decided to be sensible and so I didn't go out until Saturday. I decided, possibly foolishly to have a bit of a blast at a 5 mile hilly offroad route I like to do and I got round it pretty quickly but I was feeling it at the end. Went out for a slightly longer, even hillier one yesterday afternoon and took it much easier. My legs were fairly sore most of the way but not too bad. Have got back to stretching and foam rolling, which I should have done more of in the week following Manchester, and it seems to be helping.

Am going to be sticking as much as possible to off road now as I have a hilly trail marathon in four weeks and a 10k ish hill race at the end of May. After those, my focus turns to my first attempt at a 100 miler in September.

Anyway, it's been great to read about everyone's training and to see how everyone got on. Best of luck to all of you in whatever you have planned next.
  • Cotswold, 100 miles will be epic! got my 1st 50 in May and that's daunting enough.  The problem I'll have is stopping myself for entering a 100miler when I have a qualifier.

Does the new GFA mens times affect anyone?

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

men 40-45 now need 3.05 instead of 3.15.  Was a realistic aim for me in 5 years time but not any longer.  Back to the ballot 

• Yeah I aimed to get GFA but in truth I wasn't in any shape to go much quicker.

I was slightly annoyed when I first read it this afternoon but in reflection will do Manchester again as a spring race. It's 30 mins to the start line so much easier logistics for me than London. 

Onwards....
  • I'm pretty gutted by the GFA change.  I feel like I have a shot at achieving 3.20 in Newport in 13 days...  but no chance of 3.15.   Even if by some miracle (and it would be a miracle) I managed to achieve it, it would only be by a matter of seconds and the other main change they make is that GFA places are now on quota... those only just under the GFA time will probably not get in.

But imagine those poor people who were celebrating a GFA last week, now to see it whipped off them.  Especially if, say, they ran 4 minutes inside the old GFA time and eased off to enjoy the day, rather than push on and try to get under the new time.

They must have been planning this for months. They should have announced it ahead of the spring marathon season.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

:( that they have changed the GFA times for you guys - that is v sneaky and I suspect a lot of people will have been caught out. Surely these should be reviewed prior to the date they are applicable from?

I have had a v easy recovery after Mcr - makes me wonder if I couldn't have gone faster on the day - so I've been looking at the GFA in a whole different way. It's not long until I'm 50 and so if I achieve the GFA time any time from 1 Jan next year I'll be guaranteed a place for 2021. Am wondering if getting the 4h14 down to sub 4h (or whatever they choose to change it to?!) is achievable.

Cal - am impressed that you're doing Liverpool - do you have a target time on that one?

• Gladrags, more than possible to get your time down under 4 hrs but its no longer a guaranteed place, there are 3000 men and 3000 women places available so if just inside the cut offs you may miss out. 

Northender, I agree they haven't just plucked this out the air and should have been released sooner.

Jason, London is an hour from door for me, but enjoyed manchester so giving that another crack, if I get London via the ballot I'll see what shape I'm in.  I've heard rumours they may change the deferral process for london but unsure if true and or in what way.   
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

:'( Gah just read the whole thing properly - you have to be the age of the category to achieve the time. So if I'm aiming for the 50-54 GFA time of 4 hours then I have to be 50 when I achieve that time. I read the rules carefully last week and previously I could have achieved it any time within the 2 previous years.....

And there's the bit about it being a ballot.

Might just forget about it. (Even though it's my local marathon) - Manchester was a much better race experience.

• Good that they are trying to redress the gender disparity. The cynic in me can't help but think they will just issue more golden bond charity/corporate places. 

It is a business after all and as novatel/Brendan Foster have proven... Money over anything else. 

Manchester have big plans apparently. Possible more city centre based in future and aim to rival other big city races (outside of London). 
  • GFA changes affect me in that it's no longer anything I have to worry about. My attempt at 3h15 in Manchester was an early crack at setting a time I could try and emulate in the coming year or two, with an aim of getting a GFA entry for when I turned 41, which I could have set from next year as previously they were valid from two years prior. I missed it this time but I was close enough to know it was achievable. The change to 3:05 makes it such a big task to achieve now, that I won't bother attempting it. Maybe it would be possible for me with a lot of hard work but, to be honest, I'm just not in love with road running enough to want to do it. It's almost a relief to let it go to be honest. I'd still like to run London in the next few years so I'll just have to take my chances in the main ballot and my clubs ballot.
  • Don't think anyone mentioned using the on course gels?  Anyone try them? any good? any issues? not that it matters as you still cant buy them anywhere.  Was hoping they may have put some in the goodie bags to try.

• Didn't try them Robert as I was carrying my own SiS gels that I've always used. 

Will invest in one of those elastic belt things I saw people using to attach the gels to themselves. They looked very practical and basic. 
  • think I will look at one of the belts too, I used 7 gels, started with 2 in back pocket of shorts, 3 in hand and collected another 3 from other half. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

itchy fingers got the better of me and I've entered again for next year. Can I book the same weather conditions and excellent pacer?!!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Cotswold - good luck earning your belt buckle! (If that's what they're giving as mementos).
    Gladrags - no target yet - it depends entirely on my recovery and the weather. It would be great to go quicker than Manchester but as it's a hillier course, in very likely warmer conditions, I'm not banking on it. I'd be happy going under 4:30 (last year I had a bit of a shocker and ran just under 4:38 - 9 minutes slower than Manchester - so as long as I do better than that, I'll be quite pleased, I think). Chester's really my target for doing a quicker time, provided I don't get injured of course.

As for me getting sub-4... well I'm a ways off that yet. Not saying it's impossible but I'd have to run at what is almost my HM PB pace, so it might take me a while to hit that. Still, I'm sure I could hit the next target (4:05) by 55. :grin:

saintjason - a more central route would certainly be more interesting. The current route isn't horrible but after a while those residential streets get a bit boring (especially as I've done it three times now).

Robert - I took SiS gels but I did have one of those little drink things they were dishing out beforehand. Not sure if it helped or not, but I didn't vomit or poop my pants.
  • I had a couple of the free gels. Tasted good, went down easily and caused not problems.  But I have a cast iron constitution... and I wasn't running full tilt, so I'm not the perfect person to review them.
  • cheers northender, prob wont get to see them again till next year anyhow!

Good luck to those at Newport tomorrow, let us know your thoughts.
  • Went really well thanks Robert..  kept to 3:20 pace up to about mile 19 but knew I hadn't enough slack to make up for an inevitable slow down in the later miles.    A real battle to make sure I didn't give up too much time so as to miss out on a 3:24 PB and once I got to within about 2K of the finish I managed to lift it and put in a really fast finish to just achieve 3:22:xx

It was the first Newport marathon and I don't know about the stats but this course felt even flatter than Manchester! - and really beautiful.  I like Manchester but this was a significantly nicer course to run (support not the same as a city marathon) but lovely scenery and nice support from a handful of villages in the Monmouthshire countryside.
  • Nicely done Northender on the new PB! 

Nice info re Newport too. Glad all went well for you. 
  • Well done Northender great finish and congratulations on a new pb.

From what I've heard people have said it's a good friendly event and from strava profiles seems flatter.

Manchester is my target for next year, but will consider Newport and or Boston either as backups or 2020.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, NE!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Gladrags, just FYI, I saw the pacer chappie at Liverpool and conveyed your thanks. I didn't quite manage to stay with him this time as it was very warm, and the hills wore on me, but I was only 4 minutes slower than Manchester which is my second fastest time, so I considered that a win as I'd managed to come down with shingles three weeks prior and wasn't sure I'd recovered.
  • MANCHESTER MARATHON 2019 APRIL 7TH - Anyone that is interested in running the 2019 Manchester Marathon and would like to run it on behalf of a charity please get in touch. The Lords Taverners helps give disabled and disadvantaged children a sporting chance. We have a small but easily achievable minimum fundraising target but will provide you with full support and marketing material to help you raise funds. Email me on declan.walsh@lordstaverners.org if you would like to know more :)