London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• Etch, you’re right,what right has she got to join him at the Mall and walk to the finish,if everyone did that no runners would have room to move,they both should have been hauled off 
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    There is a big difference between 14:15, when Carol was apparently removed from the course, and 17:30, when this couple finished. It could be that the security 'patrol' had even stopped work by then. But agree it still doesn't make it right.
  • Here’s another one to watch,39623, Emily Clark, think she should have shaved before posing for photos lol 
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    And 18459, Katherine Ridge. Particularly naughty as 'Katherine' has now achieved the 3:45 GFA qualifying time for women 18-39, so may get to enter next year as well.
  • Mr. Walker and the Blackpool lady still rile me. Has Mr. Walker closed down all his online media presence, I bet he thinks he's ofg the hook. The Blackpool lady should know better, a lot better, on the dos and don'ts at a major race.
  • By the way, great thread!?
  • Quite frankly - what's the point of putting M or F on the bibs if no one is going to take a blind bit of notice of it when they're checked as they go into the pens?

I understand it might take a couple of seconds longer to ensure that each entrant did properly reveal their number but it would help if the marshals actually took action when bozos like "Katherine Ridge" and "Emily Clark" turn up!

... and I concur, great thread - as it is every year.

• Maybe someone at VLM towers felt that announcing that there would be gender checks at pen entry might not go down too well?
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Sorry but no sympathy for Carol - she's the one who decided to attach her number in a way which meant it would come off, and then chose not to check it or collect it when it "fell off" (her story). She should have known that no number means no finish, and just because she didn't like the way in which the marshall spoke to her doesn't give her any right to sue. She should know better.

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

VLM should introduce checks at 23 miles, with offenders being diverted to the left and held in the Tower.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip said:

VLM should introduce checks at 23 miles, with offenders being diverted to the left and held in the Tower.
    ...and then walk back the 23-miles clearing the course of bottles and rubbish :)  
  • A brief update on the number swapping case I came across (John Tighe of Chairman of Crowborough Runners donating his entry to a club colleague, Eileen Welch), whilst John has been removed from the results (still on his Power of 10 though) - Eileen appears very proud of having done both Brighton and London - with her genuine run in Brighton qualifying GFA for London 2019, all detailed in an article in a local paper (sorry I can't work out how to upload the image to my post.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RaceToast said:
    A brief update on the number swapping case I came across (John Tighe of Chairman of Crowborough Runners donating his entry to a club colleague, Eileen Welch), whilst John has been removed from the results (still on his Power of 10 though) - Eileen appears very proud of having done both Brighton and London - with her genuine run in Brighton qualifying GFA for London 2019, all detailed in an article in a local paper (sorry I can't work out how to upload the image to my post.
    The club publishes newsletters (April's isn't out yet), so it'll be interesting to see what they write about it...
    http://www.crowboroughrunners.org.uk/Newsletters.htm
  • I think the marshalls have done a great job really - 40,000 finishers and we've found maybe 20 or so being a bit dubious ?  Every year you see runners vaulting the barriers to get into pens so a few will always manage to slip through. I think most of them are volunteers anyway ?

Maybe the DQ later is a better option though - they've run the race but nothing in the results to show their efforts. 
  • Who knows how many number swappers there are though - these are very difficult to identity, the 5 I have found have all been by chance really
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Crowborough Runner April newsletter here: https://www.crowboroughrunners.org.uk/Newsletters/1804Crowborough Runner April 2018.pdf
    Eileen's surname has been changed to 'London', as has Ollie Welch's. Also mentions 'Harriet Chalmers' but no runner of that name in the results or at MarathonFoto.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Funny how Eileen isn't sporting her London number in the photo on the newsletter, while the other two are, eh?
  • That smells like a coverup to me, they’re trying to confuse people by name changes,probably hoping we’ll forget and let it blow over,no chance crowborough runners,lol 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There's appears to be an open Facebook group for the club, which allows comments from non-members.... https://www.facebook.com/CrowboroughRunners
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    While looking for someone with a 4:40:xx finishing time who might be 'Harriet Chalmers' , I found number 11241, Perla Roman Torres, in the Women 18-39 category. Another with a bit of a gender identity crisis?
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    I imagine he's a brother/cousin/friend of Perla. I wonder how many multiple applications are submitted using the names of other family members/friends/whoever to increase the chances of being successful in the ballot
  • What ever gets done about these cheats?
  • I'd not really considered that the reason people were doing it in other names was because they make multiple ballot entries in a number of aliases to increase their chances of ballot success. I naively thought it was someone who could no longer run the event, just passing their bib to another!

I'm now more mad than ever!

> @justcharlie said:
    > What ever gets done about these cheats?

I sincerely hope they are banned from future events.
  • I'd settle for them being named and shamed.

Chris Walker occupies quite a lot of my thoughts, I know this isn't healthy
  • Remember when the doctor off of Breakfast TV ran the marathon ? All the celebs were being tracked for TV so when he came up the Mall the cameras zoomed in on him - he was the fastest celeb and not bad for an older bloke.
    Except he'd given it to his son....

Bans for both. 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Ah yes Hilary Jones (a man). He used to live a couple of miles from me.
  • The only problem is,how can you ban them,you don’t know who they really are and they will just apply again using a different name, probably only want to participate once anyway, unfortunately it’s the few making things bad for the many!
  • > @dave wood 4 said:
    > The only problem is,how can you ban them,you don’t know who they really are and they will just apply again using a different name, probably only want to participate once anyway, unfortunately it’s the few making things bad for the many!

I agree that this could be an issue but where possible, I think VLM should take action and where appropriate also seek to restrict club places to those offending clubs.
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    And perhaps name and shame those clubs publicly. Might not have much of an effect on individuals, but running clubs at least should be dissuaded from trying it on in future.

Do we know if anyone from VLM looks at this forum - we are doing a lot of work for them for free! Rather than flag up individuals perhaps we should just send them a link to this thread?
  • I'd settle for them being named and shamed.

Chris Walker occupies quite a lot of my thoughts, I know this isn't healthy

Totally agree, keep checking the results and Walker's still there. Can't decide if people like him make me more angry or the club runners like the Crowborough lot. Speaking of which, if you look at marathonfoto 20186, you can see that Eileen has her gel belt across the bottom of the race number. I wonder if that is to hide the fact that it's a Male number?