Monday 30th April 2018 - I don't know where I'm goin'

Morning.

Lyrics - I don't know where I'm goin'

Blowy and cold here this morning but so far I appear to be moving ok so I'm hopeful of a run this morning though I'll not decide until I've walked Grace.

What:         hopefully short and easy
Why:          I think I'm off the bench
Last hard:  not being able to run
Last rest:   28/4

Yesterday's lyrics - The Waiting Is Over by Eva Cassidy.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Donaldo: Wowsers trousers! That is superb! Well done you, you must be doing cartwheels!
    LMH: Fingers crossed it is all ok. And yes yesterday was a hangover, a run cleared it though, better than any medicinal compounds.
    SC: I've just googled it, I see what you mean, I'm glad you a managment strategy that works or helps.
    Ale: Hope back ok this morning.

Just want to say thanks chaps to all of you. Did a steady 1hr 35mins 10 miler yesterday to clear the hangover. I was determined to get 10 done because I said I would. I'm pig-stubborn like that, when I say I'm going to do something (with anything) I do all I can to do it. Then realised  yesterday through my 10 mile hangover recovery, my VLM training was greatly helped by you chaps. My previous two marathons I trained with somebody else becuase they were doing the same events, but with VLM I was training alone. By declaring here I'm going to do 13, 18, 22 etc made me complete those because I said I would on those morning. Even though there was no way of checking or proving them done etc, because I stated I was doing those disances it made me do them. Hope you get what I mean, so thanks again to all of you for your support. Much appreciated.

What: Gym session tonight after work
    Why: I want to make Tues/Wed my running days this week, fits my plans for week better
    Lyrics: Yes

Have a good one, cold here, looming skies.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Hot and sunny here already, Benjy. Not. Not sure that's ever going to happen. Grey and cold in reality! Glad we can be of help re the training. I know what you mean re declaring something then making yourself do it. 

Back is tender again this morning...just like it is every morning. Hope this is not always going to be the case. Poor night's sleep because of it and really should have got up to ease LMH of the burden of setting the lyrics!

What: may have a short run, as in a couple of ks, probably with walk breaks. 

Why: not sure I'm quite ready for running yet, Chick. 

Was saddened to hear of the passing of Bruce Tulloh: really was my boyhood hero ahead of Ron Hill. Some may understand one of the reasons! And I ran barefoot in his shoes, so to speak. Never met him but spoke with him on the phone a few times as I was team manager when his son Clive joined our club. There will be a big feature in Athletics Weekly I imagine. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Tulloh

Hope you are ok this morning Don and can have an easy day at work. At least it is not far to walk there!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    For some reason the above posted twice, so deleted it!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I hadn't heard about Bruce Alehouse. I hope that your back will stop causing you pain soon, I'm sure it won't always be as it is now. It took a very long time for my shoulder to settle but whilst it still pains me it's nothing like as bad as it was.

I understand totally Benjy. When I find myself thinking of taking a walk break or giving up in a race I ask myself if I really want to come on here and tell everyone that's what I've done.

Keep moving and eating today Donaldo.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
  • Morning

Don: Well done on a brilliant time you must be pleased:-)
    Benjy: Oh you so make me laugh and smile I would loved to have been a fly on  the wall when you sang at the pub :)  and your cheese toastie's
    Well done on getting out for your 10 yesterday!
    I so agree it does help to report back here how far and how it went it is our own support group for those of us not in clubs.

LMH: Good luck on your run today

What: 9.45 miles
    Why: Because I can and body said lets extend the run, to run a little extra hill
    Last hard: nothing this morning:-)
    Lyrics: I should have known yesterday's!! but today is a no!

Boy it was cold out 0 degrees at least we can dress for the weather!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Planned rest day
    10k yesterday and 50k attempt on Saturday
    Last Hard: Thursday (I actually enjoyed yesterday and felt good afterwards)
    Lyrics no

Mayday dawn swim tomorrow ...
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Don - top work sir, excellent performance
    Benjy - good work on the hangover 10
    OH - good running!
    RFJ - looks fun, I think I did Hurstbourne years ago, or if not certainly familiar with the hills thereabouts!
    Ale - good effort with the Park Run, and I was sorry to hear about Bruce's passing.

What - Vets track meet tonight (1500, maybe 2k walk, maybe 400m)
    Why - first of the season & thin on numbers
    Last Rest - 2 weeks
    Last hard - London

Ran the Fleet half (rescheduled from Mid March) but pacing a handful of runners looking for sub 1:50
    Little quick over the opening miles, eased ever so slightly in the middle part (10miles in ~81:30). One looked a bit off the pace around 9-10 miles so fell off the back, but still managed a 1h52 pb. Of the other 4, two pushed on to low 1:46s while I and the other two stuck it out. The female of the pair was chomping at the bit over the last 2 miles asking when there was 1k, 800, then 400 to go and kept upping the pace, while the other guy was hanging onto us. Finished in 1:47.03 (her) 1:48:18 (him) which just shows how quick that last mile was! Both massive PBs so smiles all round.
    Slightly kicking myself for not 'racing' as some of my club mates ran decent times (comfortable sub 1h30s), but not so sure a week after London and with a track 1500 tonight, that would have been a good move. 
    That said I thoroughly enjoyed the run and pleased to see others raising the bar.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Great write up Dustin. I do miss pacing and the joy of helping others get to a goal. Used to pace Bath/Silverstone/Cardiff Half for RW 1.40. Those were the days. Ale, hope it eases sooner rather than later. Will read the links later. Sad. AOH..nice to see planned rest activity. WP: Great consistency. Benjy, you are spot on. Write it down or say it and it has to be done.
    What: Gentle bimble
    Why: Achilles still niggly and want to be okay for mile at club tomorrow
    Last Rest: Yesterday
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Lyrics: I do believe so.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Race report:

The race started well – we ran from Stirling out past Blair Drummond Safari Park, up to Doune and back around to Dunblane, at the 11 mile point. 

In Dunblane, I had asked students to come and support me – despite the fact that I had cancelled chapel and given them a long lie and a brunch at 10a.m., 7 students got up and walked one and half miles to support me – I was deeply moved but it gave me such a great boost that they had made the effort.  They all made it back to school in time to get their Brunch, as it lasts from 10a.m. until noon when they get a rare lie-in.

My pace was a little on the quick side.  10 miles in 67 minutes.  Halfway in 1:27:something.  After 15 miles, there is a wee tough section around the grounds of Stirling University and I really started to feel it in my quads.  I took a breather (let the people I was running with get 100 yards ahead of me) and composed myself.  I shortened my stride length and deliberately ran as tall as I could.  I focused on nothing else except being efficient.  It worked.  I re-caught the group by mile 18 and was feeling a bit better. 

After 20 miles I was 2 hours 13 minutes, an average of 6: 39 per mile (and 66 minutes for the second 10 miles) – definitely fast but I actually am ready for that pace –there is just one thing that has stopped me in every marathon I have ever done.  Hamstring cramp – and they ‘tweaked’ at 22 miles but again, reduced stride length, composed running style – kept them at bay.  I reached 23 miles, 24, 25 (still doing 6:52 – 7:00 pace) – my legs were closer to cramping – would I make it?? Nope!! Nearly made it to the finish without cramping but just at MacDonalds in the city centre, half a mile before end, my left hamstring seized.  I just went to the side of the road, stretched it out, pummelled it with my fist and hand and got running again within a minute.  I got going well and ran up to Kings Park with a finish time of 2:57:54. Met my target but a cruel 9 seconds off my all-time pb!!  I was so delighted though – made all the months of training worthwhile.  I finished as fresh as a daisy apart from the cramp – I’m sure there is a 2:50 in there somewhere – now I need your advice on how to stop cramp – please give advice if you have any! 

Well done on you pacing race Dustin.

Ale - shame about Bruce Tulloh.  I recall reading his book on training as a teenager - Inspiring.

Lyrics, nope.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report Don! Others better qualified will give a take on the cramp, I imagine! Really pleased for you! That is a much better effort than your pb was: you were a good few years younger then! Now take it easy for a good few weeks and then re-focus. And yes, I'm sure there is a sub 2:50 out there for you. 

What: 2.5k gently run.

Why: for Bruce. 
  • Great report Donald - I think leg strengthening (including lots of miles in training) can help with cramp but other than trotting out all the traditional 'remedies' - salt, magnesium etc can offer no insight I'm afraid. Sounds as though you handled it well though and I'd say that all time PB is definitely achievable.

Thanks for the links Alehouse.

It's good to hear that you enjoyed the race and are feeling good OH, hopefully whatever was ailing you has gone.

That is great pacing Dustin. I hope your track endeavours go well - I didn't know you race walked!

A nice increase in miles there Poppy.

I hope you can keep on top of that pesky achilles SC.

Everything continued to work for my run this morning. I could feel my foot by the end and knee was niggling a little (but then it often does) so more precautionary icing and crossed fingers.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    LmH - I don't ! I think I'm the only V50 willing to score the point(s) given our usual victim ran Cardiff mara yesterday.
  • Dustin are you sure Cardiff? Yesterday was Newport marathon.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Great report Donaldo. Fantastic effort. Time to bask in the reflected glory and .... rest.
    Compression sock at the ready LMH :-)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Sorry WP, Yes, Newport.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: Glad you're on the mend. We're off to another clinic than mum and dad - places are allocated according to availability, however the health system dictates that they need to find you a place within 2 weeks after being discharged from hospital. Ours is not by the sea, which is a bit of a shame but it's near some woods with good running potential for me ;)  They've also got a nice pool so I shall work on my swimming technique whilst hubby is being nursed back to health.

Dustin: Fleet half sounds rewarding. Nice to help others achieve their goal.

Benjy: Nice 10 to clear the hangover.

ale: shame about the back. But I guess it just takes time. Read about Bruce. Very sad he passed away. What an inspirational man.

Poppy: You're really putting in the miles at the moment. Fantastic.

What: 7 wet and windy miles
    Why: it's a bank holiday tomorrow so weather is already turning foul ...
    Last hard: 18/4/18
    Last rest: 15/4
    Lyrics: no
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics I think yes...
    LMH glad you are getting off the bench
    Donaldo wow wow wow!!
    Gobi may those ribs catch up with the rest of your body!
    AOH great splits, sorry els is injured
    chick how good is that re convalescence!!
    RFJ take care
    benjy, nice 10 with a hangover, get what you say about posting it here!
    sad about bruce t alehouse
    WP i need to get those sort of miles in!!  You do so well
    I did a 4.7 off road with the OH yesterday he was chomping at the bit, I thought a 3 miler but no 4.75 in and out of river ching up and down muddy hills!!
    Dustin such good pacing you did!
    DOn I love your report, you sound as though you really handled that excellently!

WHat: 1 mile new shoes
    why: need to leave early to get t o Wembley tonight so time contraints
    last hard: this morning it was cold!!
    last r est: 31/12/16
    have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    chick make the most of that it sounds perfect
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • A shame you didn't get a coastal one chicksta but it sounds as though you're going to make the most of it. I take it that work have to give you the time off too?

Is your OH planning a race this year Wabo?

Sounds as though it could be interesting then Dustin  :)
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    8.6k  done and dusted, ankle/leg now strapped just to be sure :-)

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the lovely comments. ?

I managed 4 this afternoon, very sore but I am a firm believer in the idea of kickstarting the recovery with a run.

LMH, would you recommend Boston (Lincs) as a good event to aim for next April? 
  • Donaldo/Dustin: Great write up there, today a gym day for me (just got back) but reading that has fired me up to give it a good push in tomorrow's run. Tiptop. Can't believe that pace Don! Amazing! And fantastic PBs from your group Dustin, very admirable of you pace them.

(Would have said earlier, sorry I don't have smart phone, 22 years working with digital media and I prefer an old fashioned number phone or as my friends call it a 'drug dealer's burner phone'. I only log on when I get to my home mac where the password for this site is in my password manager.)
  • I don't have a smartphone either Benjy - nice to know I'm not the only dinosaur  :) Please take it easy this week - you really shouldn't be pushing runs at this stage, we don't want you injured.

I would Donaldo. If it wasn't for the fact that London is focusing on dementia charities next year I would have been very tempted to do Boston again instead. There is a video of some of the race on the website and the photos show the roads and surfaces quite well. It could be quite wind affected but it's mostly an out and back with a loop at the end so it should balance out unless you were very unlucky.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Are you contemplating an autumn marathon, Don: in my view much easier to train for rather than a spring one, having to get out in all weathers.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Evening

A few names / faces i know here.

What: two hours in the bike flat out
    Why: non running day

On the road back after two years out with various problems / ailments. Ended up very over weight but hey getting back down to where i should be. On on
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    DD, welcome back.

Alehouse, I am contemplating one but it has to be between Oct 6th and Oct 21st due to work.  Have signed up for an ultra on the 6th but would be happy to scrap it for a good marathon.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good to see you DD! Are you back here now or in sunnier climes?

Don: as you are the boss now you should be able to name your date! 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Haha I can’t really change term times to suit myself, much as I would like to!!  ?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have a sachet of diarolyte each day in marathon week, you can up your salt intake too. Hydrating washes out salts. Proper hydration also takes a good few days.