Options

Tuesday 1st May 2018 - Over, over and over 'til you go and lock your heart

Morning.

Lyrics - Over, over and over 'til you go and lock your heart

Nice to see you popping in TR.

Welcome back DD.

That's a tight slot for an autumn marathon Donaldo - half term I take it? Can you not leave the school for a weekend away in term time? Bournemouth and Chester are both 7th October.

Well, the 1st May and we have a frost! Where is the better weather? My knee felt quite niggly overnight so I'm not sure what I will be able to do today, hopefully it will feel better after I've walked Grace. I am going to the gym this afternoon to have my little programme updated, need to get back into doing that at least once a week to try to slow the age related decline!

What:           whatever the knee will allow
Why:            something is better than nothing - I don't want it to go bang again
Last hard:    not being able to run as I want
Last rest:     28/4

Yesterday's lyrics - Here I Go Again by Whitesnake.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    LMH: A good gym session would do you good, no point facing the regret of pushing the niggly knee. Although I've got a bit of a frozen shoulder from mine last night, went in a bit too heavy with a dumbbell. It will sort it self out if I run in to a wall. Thanks for the pep talk on not pushing it too soon, a steady 7 for me today.

Donaldo: What do you teach? Are you primary/secondary or FE/HE?

Had a text from my mate I trained with for the two last york marathons. After he said he wasn't going to do it again this year and me saying no marathons for a another year at least, just halves he has said "Ben there is a place at York for you get signed up". What with the ballot for VLM out as well. This is addictive stuff. Hmmm... what to do? I see this as an oppurtunity to work on pace, now I have got the initial "I've finally done a marathon" out of my system (3 in 18 months after 12 years of running). I have noticed my pace which was usually 7:20ish-8:45 has dipped to 8:20ish to 9:30. I struggle to be honest to get below 8 now, I think the long marathon miles has got me in to a reduced pace mode.

What: Work/7 miler down to North Bay/Work/Stretching/Taekwondo
    Why: It is Taekwondo Tuesday
    Lyrics: Well Whitesnake was a blast, but this one, the over and over bit makes me think it is one I know, but the second bit makes me unsure, so in a binary world of Yes or No it will have to be no.

May+Frost= Either an interesting theoretical TV political interview or insane weather. Bizarre.

• Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Morning!

LMH, I can go away for weekends but would rather take a bit longer if I am going far.  I am on duty at school on two weekends every month and also we have chapel on Sundays and I can’t skive off too many of them!  I will look up Chester and Bournemouth - there is one up here - Loch Rannoch - but I imagine it will be undulating.  

Benjy, I am a maths teacher by trade but now the Head of a boarding school - still teaching Maths though - in fact my students have their final exam on Thursday of this week so I am seeing them all day tomorrow for final prep.

lyrics, nope! 
  • Options
    Benjy - it sounds as though you're tempted. My gym sessions are very short and light, just aimed at trying to prevent too much age related muscle loss and strengthening the muscles around my trashed shoulder. Whilst chilly it's a lovely morning for a run so I shall set off shortly and see how the knee goes. I'd be surprised if you've really lost your speed with marathon training, lots of people go on to set shorter distance PBs off the back of it.

That's quite a commitment then Donaldo - not a lot of free time for you outside of the holidays.
  • Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Yeah, so that's why I do my best to plan big events when the holidays are on.  I'm not complaining mind you - I get plenty of holidays and I manage a good work/life balance through it all :smile:

I think I'm going to go for the Chester marathon in October.  It's near Liverpool too so I can go and see my nephew and niece and maybe stay with family for a couple of nights.
  • Options
    Frost on the windscreens here too this morning (3C but it was 04:30!)
    Beltane Dawn Swim to see sun break over the horizon
    Traditional.
    Lyrics No

Great report and run Don
  • Options
    BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    LMH: My pace, it could also me holding back fearing something going ping! with my hernia repair, quite quite conscious of that, although it is supposed to be strong. I think though my pace gradually became slower as I trained by myself in the bleak months for London. Need to work on it, get it back up.

OH: Brave chap dipping in that water!

Just to report, after all the not doing a marathon again, have just done it, entered York again. Just text Mark I trained with on the previous two occasions to say he has twisted my arm and it would be weird not to do those coast and country Summer runs again. Right VLM ballot...

...I really must get some work done.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Benjy: Well done on entering your marathon, when is York marathon?

what: 9.5 miles
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: Nothing was hard really
    Lyrics: I think maybe will ponder on them

April Miles 155 which all things considering not too bad lets see if I can make 200 for May;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 
    Well no frost in the capital: bright sunshine and no clouds!
    DD - Now there is a blast from the past! Hope all well with you and glad to see you, quite literally, 'back in the saddle'!

Ah all this talk of marathons, when surely it's track season?!
    Speaking of which: Vets league last night.
    No V35 for the 2k walk. After 45 seconds of coaching from our V50 walker it's between me and another V40 as to who has the best technique.
    Apparently I won hands down. (I clearly took it more seriously).
    So at the ripe age of 51 1/2 I make my race walk debut with a stunning 3rd place in the V35 age group (out of 5). And there was me thinking PB days were behind me.
    Ran the 1500 non scoring but let me tell you an unorthodox waddle plays havoc with the shins, hips and lower back. Set myself a 'soft' seasons best (season's worst) over 3 3/4 laps of around 5:24. Normally my 'early season' time is 5:10-5:15.
    All good fun.

Today - easy miles and coaching
    Why - recovery, taking it easy
    last rest - 16/4
    last hard - yesterday 

• Options
    BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Welsh: 14th October. Fancy giving it a go? Apart from the double-back on yourself stretch mid-late through the course which is in honesty a bit soul destroying it is a really nice route. Nice varied scenery, excellent crowd support. Wish I had pondered on the lyrics, didn't realise that was an option,  no I just jump straight in with first answer and have blown it. There I am starting to feel confident now I might have been correct.
  • Options
    BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Welsh: 155 miles a good total, I've just done a complex sum and work it out to be averaging over 5 miles a day if it was every single day. Donaldo will be employing me in the maths department if I'm lucky.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Benjy: In the interest of your new job with Donaldo I had 8 non running days in April:-)
    I have not run a marathon since 2007 I rupture achilles no running in 9 years.But I have had my 3 year anniversary of my comeback.So half marathon is the most i do and very grateful I can  do that.Maybe in the future I can go back to a marathon:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Benjy you do make me smile. A soul destroying but really nice route!!!
    WP; Loving the consistency
    Beltane weekend in Glastonbury where the town gets a bit mental. Full of wizards, warlocks, witches, priestesses, green men and oh, thousands of runners for the running festival. Crazy combination and one of my favourite 10k weekends. If I survive will do Devauden festival 10 on the Monday...a very cheeky, challenging forest trail with a nasty 1k uphill 8-9. Son has entered VMLM ballot and I have a deferred place but option of dropping to Madrid half (Always good to have a plan B. Will discuss with my cardiologist but not seeing hime until July! Seeing EP next week about SVT and next move (If Any)
    Good fun Dustin.
    Lyrics: Nope but should have
    What: Bimble at lunch
    Why: Mile time trial tonight (Could be fun if I have an episode and DNF a mile!)
    Last Hard: Still Sat
    Last Rest: Sunday
    Where is the Ale?
  • Options
    BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Welsh: Cracking!

...right got to do some work.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    MORNING ALL
    LMH he has entered SNowdonia like me but getting him training is always the problem so we'll see! Hope your knee is ok
    DD welcome back, nice t o see you
    Benjy enjoy your taekwondo
    WP I reckon I've 'known' you on here since 2007 at least! Your training is phenomenal

what: 3 miles done alone this morning
    why: it's what I do
    last hard: this morning 
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all
    sun is shining....

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    I'm sure you could step up the distance if you decided you wanted to Poppy - you're already doing more miles than many do when marathon training you'd just need to put some longer ones in there for a few weeks.

OH - I bet that was cold!

Sounds like a mad weekend SC - you look after yourself please. Mark has entered the ballot for VLM too though I may have the same problem that Wabo does with her OH if he does get a place.

Benjy - I'd say that's probably more the issue. What was your MP compared to your LSR pace? Will be interesting to see what you do in your half - I can't reach anything like race pace without a number on. Maybe we can meet for a run somewhere along the cinder track when I'm in Whitby at the start of July?

Congratulations on the PB Dustin  :) I do sometimes find myself wondering if race walking could be my next thing when I can no longer run but I'm not sure I'm bendy enough!

I'm pleased to hear you're having a good day Wabo, the sun is out here now too and it's warmed up considerably which is nice. Knee feels better after my run than it did before, it's so unpredictable which is one of the things that make it hard to manage.

Where's Alehouse this morning?
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon (just)

What: 1.6 km done
    Why: minimum and wanted to get out
    Last hard: Sunday (let's just say the loo and I were great friends by the end of it)
    Lyrics: nope

Well my stomach seems to finally have settled down (fingers crossed, not jinxing etc) so let's hope I have seen the back of it and I can get on with things now.  Did 5.5 km yesterday as well (didn't do track as didn't think it was sensible after the day I'd had Sunday).

Got a 10 km tomorrow night but will take it easy as not sure my body has completely recovered.

My OH just signed up to the local 5 km...he's been banned from beating us who actually train though!

Marriage T-1 month...!

Have a lovely day all.
  • Options
    An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Nice but cold I bet OH - frost here too today.

Dustin, loving the new pb sport of walking, good effort!

Benjy, I had an open hernia op on May 30th last year, just one side though. Managed to get out for a few careful miles on the 18th June and never really looked back.  Still seems a bit sore now and again so it might be the mesh that causes it.  I hope you can eventually trust that  your repair is permanent.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    LMH I am wondering about alehouse too
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I was also wondering about ale but thought he  was busy in work......

Wabo I am sure we have known each other since 2005:-) I think some of us like and can run longer:-)

Dustin Great race result!! I know I was asked to race walk in 2005 for club but I did not get it  as I loved to run;-)

SC: That sounds a fun  weekend inGlastonbury the sort of think my hubby would love apart from the running part:-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    WP it is absolutely mental and great fun just to absorb. All the pupils at Millfield are forced to take part in one of the races and they are good sports as well. Worth a visit. LMH might forego the Monday in favour of shorter Tuesday 4 mile race. Discretion etc. 
    5,3 miles d'n'd and ready for steady one tonight.  7+ or 7- depends on HR at the gun!
    Still missing a pint of Ale?
  • Options
    I too had an open mesh hernia repair late in August last year but managed to get round Glen Ogle Ultra (33 miles) at the beginning of November. Sill get a bit of discomfort when running. The other side was done when I was 21.
    Lazy day since early start but may get out to badminton later.
  • Options
    That looks beautiful OH.

I think Alehouse does work on a Tuesday but he usually posts.

I's hard but sometimes the sensible head is needed SC.

emzap - do you have some dioralyte or similar - may help you recover a bit quicker ready for your race.

PT was pleased with my progress doing my little gym programme and has tweaked it a little, got to keep mixing things up. I really didn't think that the tiny bit I have been doing would be enough to make any difference but my physio said that the muscles around my shoulder are much stronger (and whilst it till hurts I definitely have less pain) so I guess that it must be.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

I'm here! Yes, Tuesday is a workday...and today was an internet nightmare day! Couldn't get on the internet either on my phone or on the computers at work: these days that can cause quite a problem teaching. Sorted by lunchtime but no time to post. 

Interesting thread today! 

Don, I was going to suggest Chester as an option and I "know" a couple of people that have run it who are on the forums who would be reliable sources of information re the course nearer the time. It also has the added advantage of being the British Masters Championships which should ensure a decent quality field around the 2 hour 50 mark.

What: Tuesday is the day I am trying to do a lengthy Pilates/stretch etc session

Why: the body needs it, not least the back; trying to retain flexibility in my old age!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Bank holiday here and it's cold, wet and windy. Frost forecast for tonight. Sigh.

Good to see you, DD.

Glad you were able to run LMH. No problem with time off work as I was going on hols at that time anyway (50th birthday and 20th wedding anniversary).

Congrats on the walk debut and PB, Dustin.

Nice mileage Poppy.

Good stuff on Pilates/stretching, ale.

What: yoga and a 3 mile run
    Why: sanity
    Last hard: 18/4/18
    Last rest: 25/4
    Lyrics: no
  • Options
    Not quite how you were planning to spend them though I'd guess chicksta?

Glad it was just a technological breakdown Alehouse.
  • Options
    BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    LMH: Technological breakdown, nice Chris Rea reference there. Re: pace my halfs are normally 1:42-1:46 and previous two marathons 3:47 and 3:42 VLM was a blip duw to weather at 4.21. Did push it a bit today and get to 7.30s quite often but not for too long bouts. Know what you mean about bib on, it brings out a different ability. Give me a shout nearer July sounds good.

SC: Ha ha soul destroying but nice, can be done, the pinnacle of light entertainment in the 80s/90s Neighbours was like that, soul destroying, will the evil Paul Robinson finally close the Mr Oudigowa deal? Yet nice, a whole episode dedicated to the pet dog Bouncer having a dream.

Donaldo/OH: Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is reassuring. I had both sides, was given choice a crap recovery but both done at once, or better recovery but more prolonged with one done, then when healed having second done. My recovery was in the region of 6-8 weeks, but quite chronic pain for a further month. Hence back and forth. Touch wood, a lot better now, but do worry about rupturing, probably because of the revovery pain I had.
  • Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Good wee session at the club tonight.  Just jogging easy mostly but did one 1.5 mile rep in about 9:30 which felt good.  Legs sore but working well.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    busy day om here today and some cracking training and cold water madness going on :-)

Interesting run tonight, all the clubs in Swindon and surrounds running for a guy with the C word that has come back, over 250 of us all in club kit doing differing distances from 3m 4.75 and 6.3m. I opeted for a progressive 4.75... great fun... would have stayed for the cake and raffle but was cold and hungry :-)

Take care all