Wednesday 2nd May 2018 - Sometimes you need to be alone

Morning.

Lyrics - Sometimes you need to be alone

How long ago was your hernia repair Benjy? I think it's normal to be hyper-aware of these things for a while, I certainly am when I've been out with an injury. Certainly sounds as though the speed will come out when you need it to.

Wet and windy here this morning. I'm tired and I can feel the upper body work I did in the gym with the PT yesterday so I think in a seldom seen move I'm going to ditch today's short and easy run in favour of a swim - even though I have a coffee and cake date later as I'm underemployed.

What:         probably a swim/sauna
Why:          sensible/lazy/wimp?
Last hard:  getting back into my normal running
Last rest:   28/4

Yesterday's lyrics - Parachute by Kaiser Chiefs.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: may have a short run/walk. Plus stretches particularly Achilles

Why: being sensible about the return to running.

Working this morning so hopefully the rain will have passed over before I consider any exercise!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    LMH: It was last March, so 13 months ago. It was an awful 6-8 weeks though then burning nipping pain for the following two months, that still comes and goes in phases but getting wider apart now. No twinges the last three weeks. Had all sorts of scans and check-ups. Conformed it is strong just recently, the following pain has probably most likely resulted from stretching muscles pulling on the joins, as the mesh is not elastic like muscle, (not stretching exercises just any rigorous movement gym/running/taekwondo etc).

AH: Hope you manage a run of sorts if it seems right.

What: Got some spare time this morning, so it's a Ten from Ben. I think a run around sea drive to Holbeck Hill where the hotel famously fell in to the sea (and back)
    Why: I just want to
    Lyrics: Familiar, will decide later
    Lyrics update: No

Rubbish here, wet, windy and cold.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

LMH: Enjoy your swim and a safer bet than outside running :-)

Benjy: Enjoy the 10 from you  today hope the weather God's are kind to you.

What: 5 miles
    Why: Weather
    Last hard: The rain and wind and wading through above ankle lake in the woods.
    Lyrics: nope

Boy that was wet and windy so glad I opted for a shorter run today:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Plan is to kayak but weather not looking good this morning. Rain and a bit windy.
    Why - need to get on sea as kayaking weekend later this month.
    Lyrics no
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    A bit greyer here, but still reasonably mild. Hoping to avoid the wet stuff though.

What - steady lunchtime run. coaching tonight
    Why - getting back to some form of routine. Outer shin muscle really sore - apparently a common after effect of race walking. More stretching!
    last rest - 16/04
    last hard - Monday
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Kayaking deferred  :/
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again. Just discovered I'm not needed for work until 9:30...but not until I had arrived!

Meant to say I did quite a bit of race walking from mid-teens to about 22: gave it up because it really hammered my shins. Was probably a better walker than a runner, comparatively...only because no-one else did it! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It's foul here - got nearly as wet walking back to the car as I did swimming!

That's a pain Alehouse.

Hope you can settle it quickly Dustin.

Because of the weather OH?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    RFJ thats a  nice thing for the local clubs to do
    LMH sensible I'd say
    alehouse hope you get a nice short run/walk in, what a pain about work!
    benjy - nice one on the 10
    WP hope you had a good 5
    Dustin well done on the new sport pb, when I have trained for moonwalk I get that same pain at first

what: tai chi &pressups done, run later with OH, yes again!!
    why: felt so tired this morning 
    last hard: getting up today
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all, hope this drizzle stops soon
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • It was torrential here Wabo but it's dried up now so hopefully you'll get better weather for your run.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Afternoon! 

Rained early morning, but blew over. Dry but blustery at present.

What: 3.5k off road, on the banks of the Mersey. 21 minutes.

Why: MLR? Got to start somewhere. Progressive, except for the last 500. The pace overall was slightly slower than I would expect to run my long runs at. Going to be a long time before I feel comfortable on any runs, I suspect. Have tried to keep a semblance of fitness with cross training, but it is simply not the same as running! 

Assembly League tomorrow, anyone? 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

What: DK 10K
    Why: it's in the race calendar
    Last hard: I think this may be it!  Think I may be swimming round it too, though the torrential rain is interspersed with bright sunshine so I may be lucky!
    Lyrics: nope

Meant to say well done Dustin on the new-found hobby and PB :tongue:
    Ben sounds like a nice run.
    RFJ that's a nice gesture.
    Ale slowly slowly
    Chick how's Mr Chick doing?

Have a lovely day all.

• It will come back quicker than you think Alehouse - though not as quickly as you'd like obviously:-)

Hope the weather clears and you have a good run emzap.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Rain been and gone in a very windy Wiltshire.

Lyrics: Not a clue

What: 2 hours plus on the bike attacking the hills out around Longleat, saw two rhinos today. There are not too many people in the UK who can say that about their daily ride!

Why: Because I alternate run / bike

Last Hard: last nights club run, after two years of virtually no running its hard work getting back to any semblance of fitness. But after two months it is coming and most K's start with a 5 again!.

Last Rest: A wee while

Had almost two years out with stress fractures and other medical issues. Ended up 25kg over my running weight. At the beginning of March grabbed bull by the horns and went for it, only 12kg over weight now! Have entered Poole 1/2M at the beginning of June, as I have only run 20 times in two years that seems like quite a challenge, well it did until I ran a 52 min 10K with the club last night and realised I can still run.

Will try to catch up with what everyone is up to.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hi DD good to see you again :)
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good progress DD! I certainly know the feeling of trying to get back to it. Just checked and did around 80k from June 24th to the end of last year (Achilles) and have done the grand total of 80k so far this year (fractured back). Have also been successful in the weight gain department: well over a stone has gone on, which at 5 foot 6 is around 13% increase!

And enjoy tonight, Emz!
  • Impressive weight loss DD - hope the return continues to go well.
  • Weather cancelled play with kayaks earlier but improved this afternoon. Pool swim done. Track session shortly...
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    DD: Excellent! That's progress weight loss and performance gain. Rhinos on your run, now that is impressive, I get seagulls and magpies. Both are thieves. I wouldn't shoo a rhino away though.

You too also Ale 3.5k after everything you have and are currently going through pretty impressive. Off-road, on uneven surfaces? could be a bit jarring on the back?

SC: This one for you, last night our group at TKD, we have the muscle memory for stances, hand positions for blocks etc now firmly in place, so we were doing contact pad work to focus on power in the blocks with the hip twists and getting the belt moving, to get that in muscle memory. Long and short of this in my morning run today, started doing the hip twists (although not as obvious as in TKD) in my strides. Found it worked really well in getting my strides moving a bit more powerful and getting a steady gliding pace. Just an oppurtunity to use transferable skills and experiment.

Did my ten earlier this morning, absolutely soaked, even with a wicking running shirt it was that sodden it was heavy and like a cheese grater on the nips, ouch there now. The really strong wind made itself present to just to mock me in my plight. Then 1hr 15mins later after finishing, rain stops, wind drops sun shining very warm all dried up as though it never happened.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Benjy: the off road is fairly well-trodden: in fact today it was firm mud with just a little of give. It can range from squelchy liquid to concrete dependent on the vagaries of the weather! Fine for the back at the moment as it absorbs some of the impact; less good for the Achilles as it has to work a little harder, and indeed is grumbling a little this evening. Generally my routes are on shale which is probably the ideal surface for the two injuries. And I would definitely have worn a rain jacket in your weather today! Unusually I ran only in two tops plus tracksters and wished for the first half that I had an additional layer. 

Looking forward to the track session report, OH! Shame about the kayaking!
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    How do you report a track session AH? ?
    We went round the track.
    Repeat until complete.

Ok
    4 x 400m warmup
    12 x 400m Fartlek (29:36)
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    The sun came out and I ran easy and got a pb (if you exclude a 10km I did with a slightly net downhill).

Very undulating. Got to 5km in 24:48 and finished in an as yet unofficial 50:13. Got stuck behind someone in a single file bit a the end!

Feeling great!

Now sleep
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Good call Benjy. Nothing to beat transferring the transferable!
    Impressive weight loss and programme DD. Keep it going. Steady as usual Dustin. Shame about the kayaking OH. How was your exercise LMH? WP: good miles again
    Following an okay for.est mile on Tuesday night at the club (6.30) I was looking forward to the second Hereford 5k but...HR hiccough in 2nd click for two minute SVT timeout Thoughts of beating last months 21.30 flew away. Settled on 24. Hmm
    What: 5k series at Hereford
    Why; I'd entered
    Last hard: Having to stop tonight
    Last Rest: Sunday