Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Steve is looking a bit shabby there PMJ- my wife is running faster than that! Great to see you picking up the miles again by the way, wondered where you'd sneaked off to ;) 
  • After a week off from running (partly to recover, and partly to take stock) it's good to be back on here.

Glad to see the usual madness from Madbark, plenty of miles in the bank from Gul (what's the end game?) and great parkrunning from GM

Hope you're not going to throw away any of those medals Poacher - you need to start building a cabinet to display all 100 of them!

So zero running from me last week (Monday to Sunday) but managed a couple of spins out on 2 wheels over the weekend and hoping to manage by first bike commute of the year (25 miles each way) tomorrow. Weather wasn't great this morning, but managed to get 4.5 easy miles in early doors before the rain started in earnest.

Having reflected on the reality of not being GFA next year, I'll be entering the ballot this evening but if (and it's clearly a big IF) I do get in, I'm anticipating taking it nice and easy as I've very much got Boston on the plan for next Spring.

After much deliberation I've also entered Abingdon as an attempt to get a GFA for 2020 - who else is going to be there?
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Abingdon entered. Why the hell not, I'll make the time to train happen somehow.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly Valencia for me: an early December date gives me plenty of time to get race fit again!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at Yorkshire the weekend before. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - good scalp.
    Some nice marathon's being lined up. Boston, Valencia.... Sorry to even think about lowering the tone of the thread with Snetterton.
    7 miles early doors with 6 @ 6:55 and then 6 easy miles before work. Decided it would be a good idea to drop off my backpack en route and do most of the commute run without it to save my back.
  • Gul Darr said:
    Sorry to even think about lowering the tone of the thread with Snetterton.
    Pros and cons. 
    The course is flat, smooth and very fast.
    6 laps of the 7k course.
    I don't think I could face another short lap course marathon. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Apart from New York in November I've already entered Seville in Feb. then hoping to do both Boston & VLM in the Spring.

I've been roped into a track 5k for the club this Saturday followed by Keswick Half on Sunday. Not sure I'll do well in either.

I see VLM are recommending the ballot for anyone without a 5 min cushion on their GFA target. Wasn't the idea to free up more ballot places for non GFA? Seems ironic that they then encourage GFA wanabes to then apply for the ballot. Still, good to get this indication of how tough GFA qualification will be.      

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Ive entered Abingdon as well, so we have me, Lorenzo & Nicko so far. Anyone else?

DT - Draycote water was my original choice for a half but my mate is doing Stratford so I switched to that. I'm hoping to run a couple of the 10ks at Draycote over the summer.

Planning for Abingdon I'm thinking of entering Cheltenham half as its the only one I can fit in in September. 3 weeks out so plenty of time to recover. Has anyone done it before?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

5 minutes cushion!!!!! I think that is them covering arses. Just as a guide if you were to apply gfa minus5 minutes to last years mara times as listed on rb (removing all those with a champs time) you get the following numbers-

open- 301

v40-396

v45- 359

v50 266

v55- 113

That's 1435 runners who would make that cut and assuming every one of them applies.

OO- They appear to have a system now whereby every runner granted a gfa place will be taken out of the ballot.

As much as I love the occasion of London, if I don't get in it may well be a blessing as my interests could be better served in Manchester.

Stevie- i've not done Cheltenham but know a lot that have and generally heard good feedback.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul  - It's looking likely that I'll be doing a low key mara too. I don't think I could do one with laps though.

Poacher - That's a great medal collection.

Badbark - Very nice tune up 10k for your mara. Another sub 3 would be great.

Jools - A few of my friends are doing Valencia this year. I was seriously tempted but have to reign myself in. It looks fab especially the finishing stretch. I love the idea of finishing a race and enjoying a beer or two in the sunshine afterwards.

OO - You'll have loads of time to train for all those marathons.

DT - Nice timing re your half entry. I'll be moving up to V45 for my next b-day so 75 plus should be achievable. Not quite in the class of some on here though who have surpassed the 80% which is very good!

Stevie - Looks like Abo could be a good one to do and a day out for some of the gang on here. I've heard it's a good event.

Of all the marathons I've done London is the one that appeals the least to do again. I'd love to do it just to have a day out with the threadsters but the travel hassle and that being boxed in feeling puts me off. I'd defo do Manc again and Amsterdam too. I think a warm Spanish one will be the next one off Island for me.

I've got 10 mile memorial race for me on Sunday. I've done it twice and ran it last year in horrendous conditions with a bad headwind for about 6 miles and freezing cold rain, I'm hoping for much better weather this year. It's a nice mix of cliff path, trail and road but it's very short, measured about 9.8 miles last year which is a pity as I'd like a stand alone 10 mile time.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Can understand your logic DT but this was rather exceptional.

Good luck Gerard hope the weather gods are listening... 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm just trying to imagine the conversation where I tell my partner that the mini-break to Valencia has now been rescheduled and our new destination is Snetterton...  I might stick with Valencia!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I've entered the ballot just to go with what hey instruct but should be ok with my time from Abo getting me into the age group below mine. I'll be amazed if 6 mins under isn't good enough.

Have walked loads here in Madeira, 10 miles yesterday. Had a pool day today. Have read a book and finished it, rare for me. Only one run and only plan one more. Can't rush this recovery malarkey.  :D

I would do Abo again, especially with some threadsters there but Chicago is next up for me in October. Need a 3.14 for a New York GFA, although it looks like you can get in on a HM time, in which case I'm well under.
    Have been invited to cocktails with the hotel manager, oh well, here goes... B)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nicko - how's the bike training gone?  After running, it's a very different (and much more expensive!) sport but bike LRs of several hours definitely help with running endurance.

Stevie - brave man to do the 220km - chapeau.

Shame about the raceway.  The one time I ran the mara, there was a marshal at one end of the runway blasting out very hard core Chicago blues from enormous speakers in his car.  Inspiring!  Gul you must be gutted.  There is a Stratford upon Avon marathon I think - not far from the raceway.

Birch - compared to your peers, you are super super fast. Can we tempt you into just one more mara?...

Badbark - 65..hmm... you are catching up too fast for my liking.

Lorenzo - what is the approximate route from the south east to Yorkshire?

No running for me since London, but did 60m on the bike today.  Entered the LM ballot (too much info required, no sensitivity to the prevailing mood of suspicion about data mining) but with a 6m02sec cushion inside GFA in the bag from last year, maybe I will scrape in that way.  The LM organisers claim their new system is transparent. But that's tosh.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Thanks poacher, it was bloody tough but good fun .It's on my list to do again someday. When I eventually get a place through the stupid Ride London ballot (it's weighted) I'll get back into my cycling.

6.8 miles tonight to fetch the other halfs car from the station. 1m WU, 2m HMP, 1m easy, 2m HMP, 0.8 cool down. HMP came out at 6.32, 6.42, 6.44, 6.43 so around where I want to be.

Feeling a bit lost post marathon without a plan in mind. May do a 6 week block of 5k specific training after the half

• Sounds like it'll be a good thread get together in Abo. Even if I don't get in through the ballot, I'm planning on spectating for the first time at London so will no doubt renew old acquaintances and hopefully make new ones.

Poacher - on Day 1 we're starting outside Westminster Abbey and basically heading up through Hertfordshire (with a wave to where I used to live) and then up through Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire and Leciestershire before an overnight stop near Grantham. Haven't worked out Day 2 yet, but suspect we'll got through Newark, skirt Donacaster and get to York via Selby. Do you fancy joining us?!

25 bike miles each way commuting - far too many traffic lights!!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Poacher - bike training has not gone great really - with the weather I've not been able to get out that much; tried to keep it up with a some Sufferfest workouts etc; but need to log some serious mileage.

It's looking like getting down to the event from work in Edinburgh on time is going to be a major issue so it's likely not to matter anyway!

Good run Stevie - great pace. Post marathon lack of focus always hits me too, I think a 5k plan would be a great idea to get the pace going without beating the legs with too many miles; thinking of the same to try and get my 5k down to something more reasonable.

Thinking of testing out the toes tomorrow with a run tomorrow; as I'm in London I might do the last stretch of the marathon again from Tower bridge - relive the "fun".
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Interesting... https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/05/london-marathon.html

Stevie sure you will be fine.  2nd half is probably harder than 1st half and on worse roads so the box needs to retain some matches. There's a final killer climb after ?80+ miles.

Lorenzo that's a nice route - in the right weather.

And finally happy birthday thread - 12 years of rambling conversation which started just after LM in 06.  Hundreds of people must have contributed over the years.  I only know this as it is my birthday too. Still VOG but a year closer to EOG.  Nothing to celebrate in that.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - you could view laps as a pro in one sense (as long as they're not too short!), in that after the first one you will know exactly what's coming, but overall I guess it's a con. The main advantage for me is the distance from home / travelling time.
    OO - busy weekend lined up, then.
    Stevie - nice to get a HM lined up too. GER (Peterborough) would be ideal for me, 5 weeks before Snetterton. Good session last night.
    DT19 - I have unfinished business in London, so not going to give up hope of a GFA place yet (although I have more or less given up hope of getting a ballot place!)
    GM - should be nice weather this year for your 10 miler I think.
    Jools - LOL! Even the name is really off-putting.
    GD - you poor thing. Sounds like you're having a dreadful time ;)
    Poacher - gutted indeed. Apparently there will be live bands playing at Snetterton. Could go one of two ways...
    Lorenzo - hope you get some summer to go with the madness.
    7 slow miles this morning and then had to cut my second run short for a comfort break. Made it just in time! 5.25 miles instead of the planned 6. Might head out at lunchtime to make it a round number.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    x-post - Happy birthday Poacher! Mine is tomorrow.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher said "Can we tempt you into just one more mara?..   

well, the thought does flicker that my club's VVoGit record (M65) is 4:09 .  I attain that "milestone" 
    :/  in around 16 months time.  Maybe I could still go under 4 hours ?  65 is too young to be going over 4 hours, surely?  My cr*p parkrun still converts to a 3:45 marathon, according to predictors, but who knows how far I may have plummeted by the end of August next year. On the other hand, I've always done best with a goal in mind to motivate me, just my legs don't agree with my mind these days.

Poacher also said "Still VOG but a year closer to EOG.  Nothing to celebrate in that".   Come on, despite my ramblings above, we're still moving (you more than most) - and I'm pretty sure you will celebrate -
    Happy Birthday, anyway 
    Image result for pics of old person celebrating birthdays

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Poacher!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Poacher! Never worry about how many marathons I've completed, it's not a race to 100. :)

As I’m not one to taper my intensity before a marathon, I ran my fastest intervals of the year yesterday. I managed 5 x 1mi at 6:08 m/m average, which is as good as can usually run of moderate weekly mileage. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Poacher!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Poacher.

I'm not looking at my club's marathon records until I'm a vet 40.  One Claire Hallissey has made our women's overall club record rather out of reach (2.27.44).
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks all!

Just looked at the club records at Stockport - for male marathons it's:
    Senior - 2.15
    V40 - 2.29
    V45 - 2.37
    OG50 - 2.39 (old git)
    VOG55 - 2.44 (very old git)
    EOG60 - 3.01 (extremely old git)
    ROG65 - 4.24 (ridiculously old git)
    UOG70 - 3.35 (unbelievably old git)

Mainly very impressive - maybe best to wait until ROG65 status rolls round. Overall female record is 2.46 by a V35 - good going too.

Birch, that's a nice quality selfie camera on your phone...
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Poacher! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Poacher. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Poacher and The Thread.

Why wait for the ROG65 opportunity Poacher - the EOG60 record doesn't look too difficult!

10 miles easy today and Silverstone 10K entered for next Wednesday evening.   Looking forward to a short distance race - just need to remind the legs what 10K pace should feel like.