Training tips after a marathon

MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Training
Hi, I'm looking for training tips for running after a marathon. I did Brighton 2.5 weeks ago, took a week off, then have done 4 very easy runs since.  Should I carry on with easy runs for a few more weeks or now introduce a few faster sessions?.  I don't plan any races until at least June (maybe a 10k) but worried about losing too much fitness if I do all easy runs. 

Thanks

Comments

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat MrSoft.  Firstly listen to your body, if your legs are feeling strong then start to build it up is my advice.  Have a number of intervals in mind but concentrate on your legs, if they feel tight after a rep then call it a day.

I'll be honest I had most of a week off, then a week of recovery runs or just relaxed running for the sheer enjoyment of it and now am feeling strong.

I did a hard track session on tuesday and felt amazing, was faster than previous peers and tried keeping up with our clubs really fast runners, wasn't far off them.

I have an autmun marathon in september and see little point returning to the beginning of the marathon training and want to work on my stamina, shall i just start hitting long runs again?  was thinking of trying 15 miles with last 5 hard on sunday but scared I'm doing too much too quickly
  • I usually have two weeks post marathon when I run (or not) as I feel, keeping it short and easy, mixing in some swimming or whatever, after that it's like a reverse taper, gradually increasing miles. Experience has taught me that I recover quite quickly and can run faster over shorter distances a couple of weeks post marathon but it will take about four weeks to get it totally out of my legs so I don't worry about pace when building the miles again, just keep it easy for the longer stuff especially. If you have no races in the calendar you can just back off again and take an extra rest or cross training day if you feel you need it.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.